Rudy Gay to the Kings?????

According to the Commercial Appeal, no trade involving Rudy Gay is "imminent."

The Grizzlies have reportedly engaged the Suns in trade talks and have also been linked to the Warriors and Kings. They're trying to dump Gay and his $37 million contract over the next two years in exchange for cap relief. The Commercial Appeal also notes that "there also is a growing belief within the organization that Gay's on-court performance doesn't justify his maximum salary." Expect talks to heat up around the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
Source: Memphis Commercial Appeal

Rudy Gay's FG% isn't great, but having him would definetly be an upgrade at Small Forward.

Assuming Reke is involve, Salmons, etc. and a draft pick:

PG - I. Thomas
SG - M. Thornton
SF - R. Gay
PF - J. Thompson
C - D. Cousins

Starting Five is looking better.

The Grizzlies have reportedly engaged the Suns in trade talks and have also been linked to the Warriors and Kings. They're trying to dump Gay and his $37 million contract over the next two years in exchange for cap relief. The Commercial Appeal also notes that "there also is a growing belief within the organization that Gay's on-court performance doesn't justify his maximum salary." Expect talks to heat up around the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Rudy Gay's FG% isn't great, but having him would definetly be an upgrade at Small Forward.

PG - I. Thomas
SG - M. Thornton
SF - R. Gay
PF - J. Thompson
C - D. Cousins

If they are looking at cap relief you do not send them Evans back. If would be garcia no salmons in the deal for cap relief.

No way the Maloofs would absorb that contract. Anyways, if they accept something like Salmons+Hayes+Brooks or Thornton+Hayes+Brooks, I'd be willing to take a bet on Gay. They would save big money over the next 2 years and they would get 2 players that could help them, or even if they don't like them they would be much easier to move than Gay.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

This works, but I don't think Hollinger does it.

I believe that was my exact formulation from a few days ago. :)

But as I've mentioend a number of tiems, the difficulty is that "Cisco" might very well be "Tyreke", because his ending contract could be key to us being abel to afford to resign him.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Hollinger isn't going to get rid of a chucker in Gay only to acquire another chucker who doesn't bring the defense or rebounding that Gay does. A more likely deal they would be interested in would be something along the lines of IT, Trob, Hayes, Cisco. Cisco's ender, IT and Trob's potential, and a vet big who they could get use out of better than we can

But as I've mentioend a number of tiems, the difficulty is that "Cisco" might very well be "Tyreke", because his ending contract could be key to us being abel to afford to resign him.
Ya, but Cisco's ender is probably the only reason that the Grizz would do this.

I think Gay would fit in well to this team WITH Tyreke. I know we probably won't go over the cap to re-sign, but if we were this trade makes sense for us. Not sure if it does for the Grizz. Gay would be able to offset Tyrekes lack of shooting. Salmons becomes our 6th man (SF/SG), and then we can pick if we want Jimmer or Brooks as the back up PG/SG. I think Jimmer works better in this scenario (minus his recent play) because he can play the one or two and spreads the floor when Tyreke is out there.

T-Rob would have to step up next year big time, and we could sign a vet minimum 4th big and you have a playoff team.

PG - I. Thomas
SG - M. Thornton
SF - R. Gay
PF - J. Thompson
C - D. Cousins

thats a tiny backcourt.

Bricklayer

Hollinger isn't going to get rid of a chucker in Gay only to acquire another chucker who doesn't bring the defense or rebounding that Gay does. A more likely deal they would be interested in would be something along the lines of IT, Trob, Hayes, Cisco. Cisco's ender, IT and Trob's potential, and a vet big who they could get use out of better than we can
Hollinger might not, but he's not the GM.

I have doubts as well, but if there is an interest in Dudley + picks then its not actually far off the sort of talent return they want. If their concern is the money they are paying Gay, then Marcus is a MUCH better contract for similar offensive punch. Which is of course a cautionary tale for us as well.

Might be a moot point though, since it appears Tyreke might be a part of any possible deal. I am going to look for a link, but a friend read it was Evans, Brooks and Cisco. In that case I would not want to trade away Evans for Gay's insane contract, rather just resign him for cheaper. If you sub in Thornton, then I would be all for it.
This looks to be what he read, so there does not appear to be much substance to it, but rather speculations: http://aroyalpain.com/2013/01/04/nb...-tyreke-evans-for-memphis-grizzlies-rudy-gay/

Last edited:

I have doubts as well, but if there is an interest in Dudley + picks then its not actually far off the sort of talent return they want. If their concern is the money they are paying Gay, then Marcus is a MUCH better contract for similar offensive punch. Which is of course a cautionary tale for us as well.
I would be interested in Dudley for us. He might just be that SF that we would want. Decent defender and a very good deep shooter that does not demand shots.

Bricklayer

Trading Reke for Gay doesn't really get you anywhere talentwise. All it does is get you places salrywise and selfishwise that you don't want to go. Gay/Thornton? Really? With mini-chuckers? Would be profoundly dysfunctional.

B

baller13

Evans and Garcia for Gay is probably a good trade. I have NO doubt that Tryeke has a higher ceiling than Gay does but obviously there is no way of knowing if he can reach that ceiling. And if we got Gay he and thornton would not be in the starting lineup, im sure we would just slide salmons to Sg and keep thornton on the bench for his defense just the same as memphis did with tony allen and oj mayo when he was there.

The big key to any of these trades might be the draft pick from the lakers that Phoenix owns. If the lakers dont make the playoffs, which is a very good possibility especially now with d12 and gasol out, then phoenix gets the lakers lottery pick. Im sure that would be very valuable to memphis since they would be losing an all-star calibar player in gay.

Bricklayer

Evans and Garcia for Gay is probably a good trade. I have NO doubt that Tryeke has a higher ceiling than Gay does but obviously there is no way of knowing if he can reach that ceiling. And if we got Gay he and thornton would not be in the starting lineup, im sure we would just slide salmons to Sg and keep thornton on the bench for his defense just the same as memphis did with tony allen and oj mayo when he was there.

The big key to any of these trades might be the draft pick from the lakers that Phoenix owns. If the lakers dont make the playoffs, which is a very good possibility especially now with d12 and gasol out, then phoenix gets the lakers lottery pick. Im sure that would be very valuable to memphis since they would be losing an all-star calibar player in gay.
I am wondering why anyone actually thinks an 18ppg SF curently shooting .410, not a terribly good 3pt shooter, and a guy who doesn't like to pass, is an upgrade over a younger guy, on 1/4 the salary, who was averaging 18 5 and 3 on 50% shooting and playing lockdown defense last time we saw him.

Gotta love grass is greenerism.

By all means, if we can flip Thornton+picks+our garbage vets for Gay then we should have sent the deal in yesterday. Gay, while most well known for his scoring (however inefficient it might be) is not a one trick pony like Thornton. He's a good passer and rebounder for his position and he's become a really good defender the past 2 seasons. Plus, we're getting rid of one of many chuckers that need to go on this team.

While Hollinger might not be the GM, you can bet he has his fingerprints all over the Grizzlies shopping Gay. The Grizz full and well knew what they were getting into when they handed out their extensions to their best players. They were full and ready to charge ahead with Gasol, Randolph, Gay, and Conley as the core pieces for the foreseeable future. I recall them insisting that Gay wasn't on the market even after they made that great playoff run a few years ago. It's not surprising to see they want Dudley though. He's definetly a Hollinger type of player

The problem that exists with this sort of deal is it doesn't help our alpha dog problem that runs rampant through our team. Gay feels he's just as entitled to be a #1 option and I guarantee would not take a back seat to Reke or Cousins. I'd

Bricklayer

This was accidental, as I was looking for differnet stats, but I was amused by it.

Rudy Gay, career:
36.2min 17.9ppg (.453 .345 .773) 5.7reb 2.0ast 1.3stl 0.9blk 2.3TO Cost: $16.5mil
Tyreke Evans, career:
35.6min 17.9ppg (.442 .258 .764) 4.9reb 5.1ast 1.4stl 0.5blk 2.9TO Cost: $5.25mil

B

baller13

I am wondering why anyone actually thinks an 18ppg SF curently shooting .410, not a terribly good 3pt shooter, and a guy who doesn't like to pass, is an upgrade over a younger guy, on 1/4 the salary, who was averaging 18 5 and 3 on 50% shooting and playing lockdown defense last time we saw him.

Well first of all Rudy Gay is having a down year shooting no doubt. But he's only 26 years old and he's never shot this bad in his career, actually he's a career 45% shooter and about 35% from 3. And really i dont think you want to compare his shooting stats to tyrekes. Yeah tyreke showed a little improvement before the injury but if your gonna jump on gay for a bad year i know your not gonna get to excited over a few game stretch where tyreke shoots decent. He's been a terrible jump shooter all 4 years he has been in the league. I know he may get it one day and i truely hope he does since hes my favorite player in the league. Right now, i think this would be a better team with rudy gay. Now if tyreke ever learns to shoot than you never know. Honestly i dont think we will trade for Rudy Gay but if we did its one trade i wouldnt get upset about. He's an all star calibar player, not like were trading evans for spare parts

8 game sample size for those numbers FYI.

It's a decent thought. Tyreke has had injury problems and hasn't been the same player since his ROY year outside of certain stretches of games (like his recent 8 game burst). With Gay, we know exactly what we're getting and a player who's just entering his prime now who's had limited injury concerns. I want to see if Tyreke can regain what he was doing during that 8-game stretch for an extended period of time. Ideally, we won't have to max Tyreke, but I'm sure it's crossed our FO minds with the way max deals are being thrown around the league.

Let's put it this way. If you had to decide right now who to give a max contract too, would you take Tyreke or Gay?

This was accidental, as I was looking for differnet stats, but I was amused by it.

Rudy Gay, career:
36.2min 17.9ppg (.453 .345 .773) 5.7reb 2.0ast 1.3stl 0.9blk 2.3TO Cost: $16.5mil
Tyreke Evans, career:
35.6min 17.9ppg (.442 .258 .764) 4.9reb 5.1ast 1.4stl 0.5blk 2.9TO Cost: $5.25mil
so basically Rudy Gay is a selfish version of Tyreke Evans with a better deep shot and less potential

i was just pointing out what the stat comparison says. as ive stated in other threads, including a Rudy Gay thread i started 2 days ago, im a huge Rudy Gay fan and have wanted him here for years.

just really really dont wanna see Tyreke Traded.

i wanna see our lineup be

Reke
Thornton (or Salmons if MT is traded to get Gay)
Gay
JT
DMC

i was just pointing out what the stat comparison says. as ive stated in other threads, including a Rudy Gay thread i started 2 days ago, im a huge Rudy Gay fan and have wanted him here for years.

just really really dont wanna see Tyreke Traded.

i wanna see our lineup be

Reke
Thornton (or Salmons if MT is traded to get Gay)
Gay
JT
DMC
Did they change the rules where we can have more than one ball on the court during the game? If you think we're dysfunctional offensively now, how in the world would we make 4 relatively inefficient, high volue scorers work?

Yeah not sure I want gay even if it isn't Evans going out and definitely don't want to swap them. Evans is a far better passer, defender and I think a better rebounder considering their positions. Gay isn't enough of a better shooter to justify paying him that salary. Even if Reke turns it on the rest of the season and earns the max, that is still significantly less than what gay is making and means that his play is likely that much better. Let someone else overpay for gay.

B

baller13

Memphis: Tyreke Evans, Garcia, Fredette

Sacramento: Rudy Gay and Tony Wroten

This needs to be the trade.

I honestly think Evans is the superior player. Regarding this season hes amoung the elite on the defensive end. Theres no way anyone offers him Rudy Gay money, either. doesnt make sense for the Kings to have a 1 1/2 season and out overpaid player at the expense of a superior player. I wouldnt have it. Also, any reasonable proposed trade from us easily puts us over the salary cap. You think the Maloofs will agree to pay a few million in luxury tax?