Rudy Gay (poll added)

Would you be okay with Ridy opting in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect Rudy is in our future. His njury has probably affected his future plans about next year's contract and the Kings plans, too. It's a "bird in the hand" for both. You would have to a long way to find a better SF for next year's team. He would fit in beautifully with these young guys. I expect him back.

I could see Rudy starting next season with the Kings to show he's healthy and build his value while the coaching staff works to get another young guy ready for minutes (Isaac or Bridges?), then trade him to a playoff team where he can compete the for something more.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What are we supposed to glean from that interview? Seemed perfunctory and non descript
???

You aren't required to "glean" anything from it. He was photobombing Kayte and she grabbed him and did a short impromptu interview. I think Rudy may just want to let people know he's still around. I also suspect he may be excited about playing with a bunch of young kids without drama...

???

You aren't required to "glean" anything from it. He was photobombing Kayte and she grabbed him and did a short impromptu interview. I think Rudy may just want to let people know he's still around. I also suspect he may be excited about playing with a bunch of young kids without drama...
The fact that the OP said it might be a sign of things to come might mean there is a meaning to it in his mind. What exactly? I didn't hear anything either way

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, I'll address the elephant in the room. Rudy Gay is a family man and he's not about drama. I suspect he may be happier now that a lot of the drama of the Kings is in New Orleans.

I think what King Baller is saying is that Rudy might be much more willing to exercise his player option and stay than he was before Feb. 19. And you know what? I'm okay with that. He worked with Joerger (an assistant coach at the time) in Memphis, so he's somewhat familiar with his style.

And, to clarify, KB didn't say it was a sign of things to come. He asked if it was perhaps a sign of things to come. :)

???

For some reason, I can see Rudy opt out and the Kings re-sign him to a longer term contract (i.e. 3 years $39 mil).

I kinda think Vlade likes Rudy and I think part of Rudy's unhappiness may have been centered around playing with the big guy.

For some reason, I can see Rudy opt out and the Kings re-sign him to a longer term contract (i.e. 3 years $39 mil).

I kinda think Vlade likes Rudy and I think part of Rudy's unhappiness may have been centered around playing with the big guy.
Interesting thought. Rudys not the worst SF in the NBA, also as much as I liked Cousins its difficult to guage how a lot of his teamates felt about him.

Interesting thought. Rudys not the worst SF in the NBA, also as much as I liked Cousins its difficult to guage how a lot of his teamates felt about him.
If you look at the type of veteran Small Forward we will be looking for this summer, Rudy would be ideal.

Someone who can come in and contribute steadily at Small Forward for the next 1-2 years while our rookie lottery pick Small Forward develops. Once that rookie small forward is ready to start, we can move Rudy over to the 6fh man roll. Plus, Rudy already knows coach Joeger's system. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure he might be one of the best SFs we could attain as a FA or if he chooses to accept his final year, problem is I don't know if we will be in win now mode next year or vying for the top pick. If it's the latter, it might mean taking bad contracts for picks, not vets

I'm sure he might be one of the best SFs we could attain as a FA or if he chooses to accept his final year, problem is I don't know if we will be in win now mode next year or vying for the top pick. If it's the latter, it might mean taking bad contracts for picks, not vets
We will not be in win now mode next year. In general you don't win with young players in the league.

I'm okay with Rudy coming back next year and giving us the year to develop our lottery pick SF. But, while he's too much of a gentleman (or too smart) to admit this, he's only going to return to the (rebuilding) Kings if his agents don't think he's going to get a decent deal this summer. Otherwise, it's opt in, showcase your skills for a year, and then go for your final contract with a team that could win it all while Rudy's still in his prime. Rudy is also never going to come clean about how he really felt playing here with the big guy. So, speculate on, Garth.

I'm okay with Rudy coming back next year and giving us the year to develop our lottery pick SF. But, while he's too much of a gentleman (or too smart) to admit this, he's only going to return to the (rebuilding) Kings if his agents don't think he's going to get a decent deal this summer. Otherwise, it's opt in, showcase your skills for a year, and then go for your final contract with a team that could win it all while Rudy's still in his prime. Rudy is also never going to come clean about how he really felt playing here with the big guy. So, speculate on, Garth.
Here is the thing, if Rudy wants to go on the big gun teams (i.e. Cavs or GSW) and try to win a ring, he will have to take a huge pay cut. Teams with space will be the mid-tier teams, with little chance of winning the ring, as long as Lebron and Steph Curry are still in their prime.

So, I think it may come down to who offers him the most money this summer, because I don't think he is willing to take the vet minimum to play with the Cavs or GSW this summer and try and win a ring.

And the Kings have a ton of money and a need for a starting small forward this summer. :)

I could see Rudy starting next season with the Kings to show he's healthy and build his value while the coaching staff works to get another young guy ready for minutes (Isaac or Bridges?), then trade him to a playoff team where he can compete the for something more.
I'm trying to warm up to the idea Bridges may be the best SF available when we pick. He did well in the loss to Kansas going up against Jackson. Strong kid not great length, but hey one of my favorite all time players was Desmond Mason, he was only 6'5 but was more of a guard forward combo than a forward combo.

Anyways if Rudy accepts the role as a mentor on a rebuilding team and a guy like Porter says thanks no thanks then I'm OK.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
maybe with Cousins gone he has more of a desire to stay...who knows. Either way, we won't know until the offseason on whether he will opt out or not.

Not sure why people want him to stay?!

This team is on an entirely different timetable than Rudy. Money should be spent on young veterans 23-24 years of age that can come in and contribute but also grow with the team and improve as individuals. In Temple, Tolliver, Kosta and one of the PGs, there is enough veteran experience there to set the standards of professionalism.

This team is on an entirely different timetable than Rudy. Money should be spent on young veterans 23-24 years of age that can come in and contribute but also grow with the team and improve as individuals. In Temple, Tolliver, Kosta and one of the PGs, there is enough veteran experience there to set the standards of professionalism.
no kidding. there is probably a reason why he was in trade rumors.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I doubt many want him to stay. His style of play is not what you want the youngins' to make a habit of. His laid back attitude at all times too is very frustrating to watch.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sure. It's better than starting Afflalo, or another Afflalo like 'talent.'

Also, DeMarcus was probably holding him back from his true strengths, happiness, effort, and ability so he'll probably put up LeBron like numbers without him around.

Sure. We could use the offense and if we draft a SF it gives the kid a year behind a proven vet. I'm liking the new idea of bringing them along slowly and not giving them they keys right away. It's true that some real talents were spoiled because of this...Tyreke and to an extent Boogie.

We could afford to have Rudy back next year. It's not a strong free agent class at SF...and I'm not too worried about preserving draft picks next year mainly because I want to get that(Chicago and Philadelphia) over with.

Besides, I like Rudy.

What do you mean is it an indication of things to come?
Seeing Rudy on the Kings bench and watching him photo bomb Kayte's post game piece just got me thinking. Is there is a chance Rudy plays again for the Kings? IMO it is a possibility. And I thought it would be a good topic to discuss. If Rudy and his family are happy in Sacramento the only issue is does he want to play for a rebuilding team? Maybe he opts in and plays out his contract. Might be good for Rudy and the Kings. Rudy makes 14.5 M and the Kings have a Marquee Vet on the team. Plus Rudy may like playing for Joerger.

Rudy is exactly what we don't want on our team. He is an ISO player, who plays questionable defense, gives inconsistent effort and doesn't make good decisions late in the game. Sure he is a gifted scorer and seems to be a charming, intelligent and well spoken young man, but his brand of basketball is a thing of the past and will only teach our young players habits we don't want them to pick up.
I take guys like Temple or Tolliver as role models for our young guys over Rudy all day every day.
Make no mistake - Rudy has every right to opt into his contract to give himself some more security, but I would prefer it, if he never plays for the Kings again and I would be shocked once again by our FO, if they offer him an extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.