Rudy Gay expresses his frustration

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/7/26/12283364/sacramento-kings-rudy-gay-frustration

I don't think it's going about the right way. No matter what your intentions to do with your players, I would think the first thing you want to do is make sure people are happy with what you are doing. That hasn't been the case.
I've had communication, but not the kind of communication that I would say I like.
I think it's pretty obvious what situation is going on here. At this point in my career, I think I want some kind of consistency and we don't have that here, at all.
I think people saw my disinterest, not disinterest, but I think people saw what went on this season and kind of went on that to say that I asked for a trade.
Honestly, I haven't paid attention. I don't even know who our new players are to be honest with you.

On one hand, it's so refreshing to see honest, candid responses from an NBA player. I'm so used to seeing canned, generalized comments that this kind of shocked me. And good for Rudy for speaking out! He has a right to be upset about what has gone on here since he signed his extension.

On the other hand, it's just hard to see this said about our team. I've really been hoping for a change of culture and attitude within the organization and the team with Vlade at the helm, but it appears communication issues still persist. We've been an absolute mess, but I've been hopeful that things were looking up. It's tough, though. I can't imagine Rudy would be happy if Vlade told him face to face that they were shopping him and then later had to tell him there were no buyers and he needs to unpack his bags and remain comfortable. Quieting down trade rumors to keep everybody happy is nearly impossible.

Free Rudy and move on. Only reason I was ambivalent about keeping Rudy was in case he and Joerger had a strong bond and there isn't really a sign of that here. So I'm rooting for Rudy to get a change of scenery (and I'm a fan of him in general)

We have no decent replacement for star Rudy. If you've got something good, keep it or beat it. This isn't a "like" game, this is a talent game. So Gay and Cousins are disgruntled, should we ship 'em?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
First set of quotes, fine. I don't mind him not being happy because, quite frankly, why should he? He signed on when there was seemingly a vision, and that went away faster than you could blink an eye.

That last one though... That's just an unnessecary slap to the face of absolutely everyone and paints Rudy in an awful light. Good riddance dude.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, that would certainly seem to confirm the he's checked out part, and quite possibly the we are actively shopping him part, because doesn't sound like we are bothering to keep him in the loop. Just an opposing player now who hasn't switched uniforms yet. And really as they are clearly going for a culture/tone change here, you probably couldn't have that sort of ambivalence out of a main player.

To this day that Malone firing continues to loom as maybe the high point of basketball operations stupidity. Such a thing.

gunks

Hall of Famer
So he admitted to being disinterested last season, says he hasn't been paying attention this off season, THEN gripes about no communication?

I know we need another scorer, but this is why Rudy is getting shipped out. His attitude is crap and has sunk locker rooms on other teams before. Never liked the passive/no-balls/lazy bugger anyhow. Dude was always fool's gold.

Later Rudy, maybe if you didn't suck so badly last season you'd already be shipped out to greener pastures.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If the overall tone of the interview wasn't enough, the last quote there kind of seals it. They'd better have the Gay jerseys on a big discount at the Kings Store, because he's going to be elsewhere come the start of the season.

While I admit we have been a dumpster fire during his stay here, the flip side is Rudy is the kind of guy who has never taken responsibility for his own shortcomings. It was the same thing at the end of his tenure with Memphis and he was a disaster in Toronto.

Now we just have to hope that we can get a couple decent pieces for him but I can assure you we aren't going to get equal talent back.

Regarding Rondo:

You see now that he was unhappy, I guess that's why he left.
This is the first confirmation I see that say definitely it's Rondo who chose to leave Sacramento, not our FO didn't want him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Winning cures all discontent. Can this team win with Cuz and Rudy playing like they did a couple years ago? Cuz and Rudy deserve some inside info if Vlade is deliberately keeping them out of the loop for fear of leaks. If Vlade is not withholding info out of fear of leaks, he is treating his top two dudes poorly. Cuz is a little confused also.

If I were Vlade, I would sit down with Yoeger, Cuz, and Rudy, and share info. I think if Cuz and Rudy heard the plan, they would be less confused and aggravated. I suspect Rudy's aggravation comes less from a lack of knowledge of what is going on but the imp0lied disrespect coming his way. He has earned respect. Any player who has been on the national team is more than above average even if last year showed, well what did it show? It showed a confused guy going through the motions.

I like Rudy. I have even seen him play defense once or twice. :) Unless a great trade comes along which I think is unlikely, he's ours. Certainly he can be remotivated with a coach like Yoeger. I do not see him as a toxic influence as many others with his same gripes could be. In other words, I don't think from a locker room vantage point, that he would be disruptive. What he wants to know is if he can plan living here for awhile. He IS at that age where the stability for his family is very important. He needn't worry about money so what else is there?

I would not get rid of him for what he has said which seems to be a knee jerk reaction of some. He can be dealt with like an adult. He can have that chat with Vlade or Joeger. I have found in my life that knowing the truth, even if it is bad news, is far better than hanging in limbo which is where Rudy is. Keep him. Tell him we need him offensively and tell him we need his big and long body on defense. Rudy is more of an athlete than last year shows. Show him the respect a grown man deserves. And for ****'s sake, apologize for firing Malone. A motivated Rudy, a Rudy who knows the main cog in this team, can be a major asset. Moving him is yet another sign of team instability. Let us show the league we can handle our problems internally and effectively. People are watching us to see if we have changed and so far are seeing nothing. Yes, yes, yes, we have surrounded Cuz with defense but that is not so obvious to the rest of the NBA.

We have no decent replacement for star Rudy. If you've got something good, keep it or beat it. This isn't a "like" game, this is a talent game. So Gay and Cousins are disgruntled, should we ship 'em?
The team is going to suck so bad for so long again if that happens..
But I wouldn't mind seeing the team rip everything down and start anew.
Get a #1 draft pick and build around that.
Something new.
I don't see this current team making the playoffs but we'll see with this incoming season.

Winning cures all discontent. Can this team win with Cuz and Rudy playing like they did a couple years ago? Cuz and Rudy deserve some inside info if Vlade is deliberately keeping them out of the loop for fear of leaks. If Vlade is not withholding info out of fear of leaks, he is treating his top two dudes poorly. Cuz is a little confused also.

If I were Vlade, I would sit down with Yoeger, Cuz, and Rudy, and share info. I think if Cuz and Rudy heard the plan, they would be less confused and aggravated. I suspect Rudy's aggravation comes less from a lack of knowledge of what is going on but the imp0lied disrespect coming his way. He has earned respect. Any player who has been on the national team is more than above average even if last year showed, well what did it show? It showed a confused guy going through the motions.

I like Rudy. I have even seen him play defense once or twice. :) Unless a great trade comes along which I think is unlikely, he's ours. Certainly he can be remotivated with a coach like Yoeger. I do not see him as a toxic influence as many others with his same gripes could be. In other words, I don't think from a locker room vantage point, that he would be disruptive. What he wants to know is if he can plan living here for awhile. He IS at that age where the stability for his family is very important. He needn't worry about money so what else is there?

I would not get rid of him for what he has said which seems to be a knee jerk reaction of some. He can be dealt with like an adult. He can have that chat with Vlade or Joeger. I have found in my life that knowing the truth, even if it is bad news, is far better than hanging in limbo which is where Rudy is. Keep him. Tell him we need him offensively and tell him we need his big and long body on defense. Rudy is more of an athlete than last year shows. Show him the respect a grown man deserves. And for ****'s sake, apologize for firing Malone. A motivated Rudy, a Rudy who knows the main cog in this team, can be a major asset. Moving him is yet another sign of team instability. Let us show the league we can handle our problems internally and effectively. People are watching us to see if we have changed and so far are seeing nothing. Yes, yes, yes, we have surrounded Cuz with defense but that is not so obvious to the rest of the NBA.
This!!! Vlade, Dave, Cuz, Rudy all get together, have a nice meal, and Hugg it out!

After Cuz comes home with the Gold!!

Regarding Rondo:

This is the first confirmation I see that say definitely it's Rondo who chose to leave Sacramento, not our FO didn't want him.

Yeah right, I think it was clear the Kings had no interest in retaining him from the start and only signed him after all the other options dried up last summer.

This!!! Vlade, Dave, Cuz, Rudy all get together, have a nice meal, and Hugg it out!

After Cuz comes home with the Gold!!
Like we have been winning for the last 10 years? I like your optimism, but I think Rudy has seen enough poor management and turmoil. A fresh start is best for both sides.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He said what a lot of us were saying...he looked disinterested when playing. You can see it with the naked eye and his body language was telling enough. Hopefully a trade will be made within the next month or two, both parties are better off.

Like we have been winning for the last 10 years? I like your optimism, but I think Rudy has seen enough poor management and turmoil. A fresh start is best for both sides.
I like my optimism too
We will only have 4 months, but yeah unless all 4 people get it together , ignore the crap press, welcome all our new defensive players, buy in to the new coach and his system, and start winning games, then

1. Rudy is gone between now and Feb
2. If no playoffs by june, Big Cuz will be gone next summer
3. And it will be another 10years of losing

So yeah given the alternative? My Optimism is all I got!

So... are people convinced that the Kings are unstable now?

We have a real source from within the actual team itself inferring to us that there is no stability. I don't think there is a real clear direction of where we're headed right now. It's looking like a very very very conservative playoff/competitive push.

Big question mark, can a declining Afflalo who hasn't played defense in years all of sudden stop declining and play respectable defense? Is Temple finally going to break out at Age 30 to prove that he's more than a fringe backup SG? Is 30yearold Tolliver's 3pt shooting really going to be the thing to get us over the hill? Is Matt Barnes' gritty attitude enough to rally up the team?

I'm pretty sure the draft made no sense for Rudy too. Drafting Papagiannis at 13 for insurance just in case Cousins leaves. No one here can try to tell me that we drafted Papagiannis to be a backup C. At 13? No way. If Vlade did, he should be fired. It's pretty clear that he was drafted to replace Cousins in the future(if Cousins is traded or leaves for FA).

Seems like it's best for both sides if we just trade Rudy. No, we are not going to get Eric Bledsoe back.......

We have a real source from within the actual team itself inferring to us that there is no stability. I don't think there is a real clear direction of where we're headed right now. It's looking like a very very very conservative playoff/competitive push.

Big question mark, can a declining Afflalo who hasn't played defense in years all of sudden stop declining and play respectable defense? Is Temple finally going to break out at Age 30 to prove that he's more than a fringe backup SG? Is 30yearold Tolliver's 3pt shooting really going to be the thing to get us over the hill? Is Matt Barnes' gritty attitude enough to rally up the team?

I'm pretty sure the draft made no sense for Rudy too. Drafting Papagiannis at 13 for insurance just in case Cousins leaves. No one here can try to tell me that we drafted Papagiannis to be a backup C. At 13? No way. If Vlade did, he should be fired. It's pretty clear that he was drafted to replace Cousins in the future(if Cousins is traded or leaves for FA).

Seems like it's best for both sides if we just trade Rudy. No, we are not going to get Eric Bledsoe back.......

Bledsoe is lunacy. Brandon Knight maaaaaybe, but doubtful. More likely a kid like Payne or Rozier. We are selling Rudy at a discount if we sell, but it seems we have to so it is what it is.

Every team that Rudy has been traded from, all of the sudden became better (Memphis and Toronto). :eek:

If we can get a decent deal, I wouldn't mind if we traded him.

A trade for a point guard with potential to be a solid starter, like OKC's Cameron Payne and SG Andre Roberson would work for me.

It could be addition by subtraction, if Gay is not aboard! :cool:

As much as I would like it to work with Cousins I've kind of accepted that the final dominoe to fall will be his eventual trade. My first hope is that it somehow works but my second hope is that the FO maximizes the return on our assets. The draft day trades were good in getting young pieces to build around in Bogdan, Skal, Malachi, Papa.

Well clearly we haven't kept him or boogie in the loop so it's not like we've gone out of our way to ensure his angst. The fact is everything he has wanted is here now - stability, a vision, a winning emphasis. Leaving now would be to bite off your nose to spite your face and honestly I'm not trading Rudy unless we get a legit 20 ppg player back. He'll suck it up

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I don't think we needed Rudy to come out publicly and say how unstable the franchise is...Kings fans knew this all ready before a word was said based off their actions. This is how you become bad every year, no patience, meddling and consistent personnel change.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well clearly we haven't kept him or boogie in the loop so it's not like we've gone out of our way to ensure his angst. The fact is everything he has wanted is here now - stability, a vision, a winning emphasis. Leaving now would be to bite off your nose to spite your face and honestly I'm not trading Rudy unless we get a legit 20 ppg player back. He'll suck it up
I don't think keeping Rudy here will do any good...he will continue to play with disinterest and no heart or passion. Do we really want to see that? Do him this service and get rid of him as soon as the team can find another partner to tango with.