rotation question

if skinner and corliss are veterans, and have at least the benefit of being on the team for half of last season, why wouldn't adelman put them in? they don't strike me as guys who pissed him off in practice or anything...

I don't know if there's a whole lot of explanation for not playing Skinner. I don't want to see SAR sliding over to play center any more. Unfortunately I don't think the offense works very well when both KT and Skinner are on the floor because they're awkward passers. But surely the better defense and rebounding makes up for it.

Corliss presents a lot of defensive matchup problems. With so many athletic small forwards out there, by putting Corliss in the Kings basically are giving up any hope of slowing down opposing small forwards in favor of some points on the other end. That's not usually a great bargain.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jerryaki said:
if skinner and corliss are veterans, and have at least the benefit of being on the team for half of last season, why wouldn't adelman put them in? they don't strike me as guys who pissed him off in practice or anything...
1) there was a decided decision to try to deveop the kids. Petrie has mentioned it several times himself, leading me to believe that it was either a mutual decision or may even have come down to Rick from on high.

2) And if you are going to play the kids, and with KT still in a Kings uni, there are simply no minutes for Corliss (the problem is made worse because Garcia is really our only shooter (in theory)/ballhandler off the bench).

3) Not playing Skinner and instead going with a KT/SAR combo with SAR as backup center is just dumb. It represents something that's changed a bit with Rick in recent years -- his extreme, almost pathological aversion to non-scoring defensive types in the lineup. But even so, he started off the season trying to play Brian some, but Skinner just sucked it up and basically played himself to the bench. Rick's hook should have been a little slower given Skinner's status as our only remotely "big" player on the bench, but nonetheless, some of the blame must lay elsewhere as well -- as in how can you have a single 6'9" journeyman as your ONLY theoretical shotblocker on the whole damn team? No seven footers? Ask our GM about that one. Its just dumb. And it leaves Rick with only the one option. And if the option isn't playing well, then next up is...Reef! Ugh.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yep, this season was a write off form day one, the silver lineing is supposed to be getting young kids time onb court to develop, look for the right trades and probably draft high. I would NOT be surprised to see either Brad or Bibby traded for either expiring contracts or cap relife and picks if this team was NOT destined to be torn down from day one it has done EVERYTHING in it's power to make sure that does happen.

Bricklayer said:
1) there was a decided decision to try to deveop the kids. Petrie has mentioned it several times himself, leading me to beleive that it was either a mutual decision or may even have coem down to Rick form on high.
That's interesting and extremely stupid. Do they think that Garcia and Martin will ever be anything more than role players?

I'm starting to get a little down on Petrie at this point. Maybe people should be directing their anger towards him instead of Adleman.

I hope, when there are deals, it's involved with one or more of the Bulls/Raps/Celts/Nuggs/Hawks (realistic). :)

Kay Gee I just don't really think is realistic.

My rotation

This may sound kind crazy, but if I were coach A. I would start bringing Peja in of the bench and start Corliss in the 3 spot. This would give the Kings some added toughness to start the game and leave the scoring to the other 4. Second, Peja could give the Kings a spark offensively off the bench if things are not going well initially. Right now, once things do not begin well we have nothing to look towards on the bench. Maybe I just miss Bobby J., but I think having one of your best scorers coming off the bench is a great strategy. Plus, if Peja's shot is not falling you can just put him back on bench because he is not worth much more than a potentially very hot hand. If his shot is falling he can win a game for you.

Should I apply for head coach if there is a job opening in the near future?

we really need to hold onto bibby. and miller besides that fact I sadly have better foot work , is a good fit for the passing big man rick / petrie likes so much. of course if we plan to ditch rick we may not need brad.

with Rick and petrie being such good friends i dought rick will get fired during the season. it would be an order that comes down from the top of the maloof. and if they won't fire anyone over that stupid detroit pre-game video i don't see them firing rick either. they will suck it out and then offer him , nothing end of year. or if he some how gets us 50 wins, he will stay...

course i thought we would win last nights game so what do i know ? :p

kupman said:
This may sound kind crazy, but if I were coach A. I would start bringing Peja in of the bench and start Corliss in the 3 spot. This would give the Kings some added toughness to start the game and leave the scoring to the other 4. Second, Peja could give the Kings a spark offensively off the bench if things are not going well initially. Right now, once things do not begin well we have nothing to look towards on the bench. Maybe I just miss Bobby J., but I think having one of your best scorers coming off the bench is a great strategy. Plus, if Peja's shot is not falling you can just put him back on bench because he is not worth much more than a potentially very hot hand. If his shot is falling he can win a game for you.

Should I apply for head coach if there is a job opening in the near future?
No.

I definately think Corliss should play more to bring some toughness which is surely lacking. Skinner can get in and block a few shots, and rebound and at least challenge layups which no one else is willing to do. Kenny Thomas seems to just clog up the offense and turn the ball over and it is obvious he is not happy so he should be traded. Hart is horrible and I cringe when he comes in cause I know something is going to go wrong(not sure the answer there). I don't care to see Martin get minutes cause all he does is stand out there and want to shoot and has the ugliest shot I've ever seen besides Bill Cartwright (at least he made most of his). Just my 2 cents.

Alright Kings 113, maybe I should not apply for the coaching job if it becomes available. However, don't you at least like the idea of using some of our offensive fire power off of the bench. It worked well when we had Bobby J. and in the more distant past it worked well for the Celtics when they used Kevin Mchale like this in his early years.