Rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have the assets to acquire him anyways unless they are really in a position where they have to sell low which I'm not convinced they are. Factor in Rondo's health concerns and what they would be asking for (youngsters) and it becomes a risky proposition without him re-signing as part of the deal.

So if Rondo really did tell Celtics He will not re-sign with Kings, then he wants to kill any deal with Kings before it even happens. So with all this Wink Wink Tampering with LeBron and Love both being on one yr contracts, what can be done to convince him otherwise.

Can Rudy make any kind of a pitch to him to get him to resign next year.

Or even better if Rudy thinks he can convince him, maybe we can trade for him on the cheap
when Celtics cant find anyone and decides to get whatever they can for a Kings one year Rental

Then Rudy goes to work and they both resign with us next year after a great season together?
Wow that sure is a lot of "If's"

J

jdbraver

We could always trade for him and if he decides to move on next summer we can use the cap space on someone else. Question is what do we have to give up to get him. If it's just Ben and filler PFs I say go for it.

We should continue to develop our youth Ben/Ray/Nik/Moreland and to a certain degree Williams is not a bad young stable at all but what we can't do is trade a group of those players and after a year watch Rondo walk out the door OR be plagued by injuries for the rest of his career. I really have a good feeling about Ray in particular I think he's going to lock down that starting spot and probably a big part of the reason we let IT walk.

J

jdbraver

We should continue to develop our youth Ben/Ray/Nik/Moreland and to a certain degree Williams is not a bad young stable at all but what we can't do is trade a group of those players and after a year watch Rondo walk out the door OR be plagued by injuries for the rest of his career. I really have a good feeling about Ray in particular I think he's going to lock down that starting spot and probably a big part of the reason we let IT walk.

I completely disagree none of those players will provide what rondo or a star will. Can they become solid contributors sure but that doesnt win games in the nba. If you can get a star you have to be willing to give up a few projects

S

sactownfan

I get this feeling like Ray could end up being special. I felt the same way before kmarts breakout year. He really started coming on last year and exploded in the summer league. Things could be aligned for a hug step forward. I'm really excited to see way less selfish PG play. As well as some better defense from the PG's as well

We could always trade for him and if he decides to move on next summer we can use the cap space on someone else. Question is what do we have to give up to get him. If it's just Ben and filler PFs I say go for it.
I can't figure out why people want to just throw in Ben or a draft pick or both just because.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Didn't ownership say from day one they want players that actually want to be in Sacramento? Rondo doesn't fit that description and this has been known from the beginning that he would not resign with the Kings. The team needs to move forward with what we have and hope some of the youth turns out nicely and compliments our primary two players.

Why give up Ben for rondo when he made it clear under no circumstance will he resign here why. Let's do that and watch Boogie leave next cause we have up an pieces for nothing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If we can get Rajon Rondo here, we do it. If the team comes together the way a lot of us think it would, I seriously doubt if Rondo would be so inclined not to resign with us.

Its not like the CWebb trade where Mitch was older and near the end of his career. Ainge will want young talent: Staukas, Ben, Ray, Picks and a chest of Gold.

Rondo has not played 80 games since the 09-10 season. Lots of danger here if Rondo is not healthy and playing like All Star Rondo.

All things considered I think I wish Rondo the best of luck wherever he ends up.

KB

S

sactownfan

I really wanted rondo but honestly but I'm over the idea. He's had a history of attitude problems and now health issues. If he doesn't want to be here then screw him. Dude it's California and this team would be more promising than the celtics. But he wants to play for a ring right now? Sorry Rondo not everyone can play in CLE with Lebron. Lol! At this point I think this team has capable PGs and would be better served getting a real shot blocker to anchor the defense.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think if we really want Rondo, we wait for free agency next year. If he doesn't want to sign here ok. If he wants to sign here great....go show your healthy and if he wants to play here, he will sign with us after the FO makes an offer.

So difficult to decide. Healthy Rondo = top 5 PG in NBA, but obviously the question remains can he go through a full season? 2nd question and concern is giving up a boatload of young talent for a 1 year rental. You get one heck of a trio though if everything works out. Good thing I'm not the GM.

Because Ben had like a 7.0 PER and Rajon Rondo is a 4xAll Star with a championship ring?
I'm not going to debate Ben with you, because you're convinced he's the worst player to wear an NBA jersey. I think you're dead wrong on Ben, and don't care about the stats, because I those stats say as much about the makeup of our team as they do the individual player.

My point wasn't comparing Ben to Rondo. Rondo is coming off a serious injury, demanding a max salary and has said he doesn't want to sign with the Kings. How does throwing your future picks and young assets at Boston change any of that? It's a poor investment. Time to move on.

Supposedly the main reason why Rondo wants out of the Celtics is because he understandably doesn't want to play on a bad/rebuilding team. The Kings have been a bad team for a very long time. Can't really fault him for posturing to be traded to a better team.

With that said, I think it is just posturing and if the Kings were to pull off a trade for Rondo it's likely he'd give a lucrative contract by the Kings serious thought, especially if the Kings significantly improve. If the Kings have a chance to trade for Rondo, they absolutely should do it.

Let's take a look into PDA's strange looking head... Maybe he's thinking "I missed on K Love, held onto Rudy, and I'm going after Rondo HARD. I know these guys don't want to stay in my "small market city" but I'll rent them, and we can break into the playoffs. But if I can let Gay and Rondo go out into greener pastures in 2015 free agency. I can make my own team that my players would love to play with Boogie, Stauskas, and Collison with so much cap space. My new glorious, beautiful arena will also lure in the players that I've already targeted in the FA pool." Maybe that's what is in his odd shaped nugget. ?

Is there any possibilities that we traded Terry to make room for Rondo, I mean money-wise? I know it's pipe dream, but the timing is so weird. When Rondo said he wants to be traded, then we just traded Terry to make cap space.

Yeah, it's TDOS...

All this talk about Rondo coming here has got to be because PDA has been going hard after him and is banking on Rondo changing his mind during the season. Gutsy play. If Boston goes for it then absolutely bring him here he's worth the risk. Can't play it safe forever this is Sacramento we need to gamble at times. Get it done PDA

Supposedly the main reason why Rondo wants out of the Celtics is because he understandably doesn't want to play on a bad/rebuilding team. The Kings have been a bad team for a very long time. Can't really fault him for posturing to be traded to a better team.

With that said, I think it is just posturing and if the Kings were to pull off a trade for Rondo it's likely he'd give a lucrative contract by the Kings serious thought, especially if the Kings significantly improve. If the Kings have a chance to trade for Rondo, they absolutely should do it.

I agree that rondo doesn't want to play for a bad team but the Kings have more talent and is in a better position to win IMO.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The Rondo trade has made sense (at least from the Kings perspective) for quite a while, but it really looks like that train is leaving the station. I have advocated that we could/should trade any one not named DMC (and as of mid way last season Gay) and let Rondo decide where he wants play in 2016 AFTER being on the squad, but our best trade chips are gone now. Even if Ainge WOULD take some combo including McLemore and/or William, JT, whoever we now get a clear one year rental on a guy just off injury with just enough support to make the play offs but not enough experience or depth to go deep. So in terms of NEXT year we are getting an expiring and loosing young talent.

By my assessment this is the opposite of what we need to do in principal. We have trouble attracting TOP talent and have to over pay for the second tier guys we do get as FAs (Landry) The best way for us to acquire talent is by either draft or trade (Gay) So generally we need to be trading away expiring contracts (unless we believe we can and want to resign them) for either guys we can use (Evans) tradeable pieces, or draft picks. This is in principal my only real concern with the Terry trade, although it is debatable how much talent we would get for his contract until trade dead line.

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see Rondo in a Kings Jersey and thought we should make a hard run at him this off season, but I would hesitate to bet the farm on him in a one year rental with out a solid #2 target for next summer.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I completely disagree none of those players will provide what rondo or a star will. Can they become solid contributors sure but that doesnt win games in the nba. If you can get a star you have to be willing to give up a few projects
I think your conveniently skippiing the part where Rondo walks at the end of the season. Huge difference between giving up players with a lot of potential for a star that agree's to resign with you, and giving them up for a player that says he doesn't want to resign with you. For better or worse, those young players are the future of the team, and you don't trade them unless you have some sort of guarantee. The Gay trade is not comparable, because we traded players that essentially, were not part of the Kings future, or, were never going to be difference makers. In other words, very little hand wringing took place at their departure.

While I do think players like McLemore, McCallum, and Stauskas are necessary ingredients to completing a trade for a major player, like a Rondo or a Smith. I don't think you make that deal without some guarantee that the player will resign with you. Nothing worse than having that player walk at the end of the season, and then the player you traded away become a star. And while you may think that the Kings have enough talent to lure Rondo to stay, and I may even agree with that, it really only matters what Rondo thinks. And right now, he doesn't agree with you or me. He's also not the only fish in the pond.

I think your conveniently skippiing the part where Rondo walks at the end of the season. Huge difference between giving up players with a lot of potential for a star that agree's to resign with you, and giving them up for a player that says he doesn't want to resign with you. For better or worse, those young players are the future of the team, and you don't trade them unless you have some sort of guarantee. The Gay trade is not comparable, because we traded players that essentially, were not part of the Kings future, or, were never going to be difference makers. In other words, very little hand wringing took place at their departure.

While I do think players like McLemore, McCallum, and Stauskas are necessary ingredients to completing a trade for a major player, like a Rondo or a Smith. I don't think you make that deal without some guarantee that the player will resign with you. Nothing worse than having that player walk at the end of the season, and then the player you traded away become a star. And while you may think that the Kings have enough talent to lure Rondo to stay, and I may even agree with that, it really only matters what Rondo thinks. And right now, he doesn't agree with you or me. He's also not the only fish in the pond.
Well, I agree with jdbraver. I'm thinking that our FO will go after Rondo, and they did take a stab at Love. If we could land Rondo, we can release him after the year. Rondo and Gay unsigned could give us 31 million dollars. Yes, 31 million can give us money to acquire us some free agents that would love to play with Cuz and will stay in Sac long term. Let's take a look here, before a rondo trade.
Possible departures: Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, Ben Mclemore.
Rondo and Gay in FA 2015
Possible 2015 arrivals: Ricky Rubio, Goran Dragic, Klay Thompson, Kenneth Faried, Deandre Jordan.
I know some of you don't see what our FO might be looking at right now. We don't need to wait for 4 years to develop Mclemore, Stauskas, Williams, Moreland, etc.. to try to win the Western Conference. This year, we could get Rondo (and J Smith possibly) and fight in the playoffs THIS YEAR. Next year in free agency we could top the great run for the Maloof/Petrie title quest. And we could win a championship in 2016 in our new arena. Who do you like better in 2016 on the Kings, Ben Mclemore or Klay Thompson? Jason Thompson or Kenneth Faried? Moreland/Bhullar or Deandre Jordan???

I agree that rondo doesn't want to play for a bad team but the Kings have more talent and is in a better position to win IMO.
I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to look at it objectively from his perspective.

It's a fact that the Kings have been bad for a long time. Why wouldn't he posture to go to a more established and successful team? Why would he want to go to an unproven small market team in the western conference if he wants to win right now?

Right now, there is really no reason. However, taking a chance and forcing him to come could give him reasons (Kings could offer him the most money; Kings could significantly improve). It's of course a big risk but unfortunately necessary when you are a bad small market team.

Status
Not open for further replies.