Revisiting Ryan Anderson...

Should the Kings do this deal?

• Total voters
Let's face facts: the Kings aren't winning next season. .500 is the best they could do, and they probably won't do that. So, what's the goal of next season? Youth development. What the problem the Kings have is that they have money to spend now, but aren't going to win now. So what do they do?

IMO, the smart play is use the cap space to put the team in a better position to win when their young guys are entering their third and fourth seasons. How? By taking on bad contracts along with draft picks.

Houston is in need of cap relief. They just signed Paul to a max deal, lost Ariza to PHX, and still have to deal with Capella after they signed Green. They need space, and they have picks.

In: Ryan Anderson, as many picks as you can get.
Out: Any two of the three: Randolph, KK, Temple.

Why Houston does it: They swap a bench player who they rarely even used in the playoffs due to their defensive schemes with two veterans to bolster their win-now plan, which also happen to be expiring contracts. Their short-term play is now set in stone with the Paul 4-year max deal.

Why Sac does it: They leverage their expiring deals to acquire (hopefully) multiple draft picks which they can use down the road or in packages later on. This strategy actually provides the Kings assets with the money they are spending rather than wasting it on whatever production they might get out of another player on this losing team.

Also, with Ryan's big last year expiring deal, he can be dealt as cap relief too just when the young guys are improving.

I only do that deal if the kings got two 1st rounders back but those picks would have to be in in 2021 and 2023, when the rockets are in the decline.

Depends on what happens with Mario and LaVine. If we upgrade our wing by all means get rid of Temple. I want off the team regardless but we need to shore up the SF before sending him packing. Houston gets cap relief with Koufos and Temple (about 3M). Z-Bo and either one of Temple or Koufos is under 1M in cap relief for the Rockets.

Assuming we add Mario and/or LaVine I would trade Z-Bud and Temple for Anderson. I wouldn't even want a draft pick back and the Rockets wouldn't offer one (why would they the salaries are almost equal). The Rockets would be motivated to save a little money and get a wing defender in Temple to replace Ariza, who may get invigorated going to contender. Anderson could possibly help us as stretch 4.

Even if Anderson can't play it would be great to unload Z-Bud. He's a crutch that I do not want our coach relying on to hinder our pace and youth development.

Koufos and Temple for Anderson is another possibility but we cannot do that now because that hurts our free agent acquisitions by cutting into our available cap space. I am not crazy about this deal even if we get a 1st round pick out of it which would likely be 27-30. A late first round pick in 2019 or after is not what we need. Virtually meaningless.

Depends on what happens with Mario and LaVine. If we upgrade our wing by all means get rid of Temple. I want off the team regardless but we need to shore up the SF before sending him packing. Houston gets cap relief with Koufos and Temple (about 3M). Z-Bo and either one of Temple or Koufos is under 1M in cap relief for the Rockets.
But why do we need to "shore up the SF" position NOW? This team isn't going to compete for the playoffs the next two seasons at least, so why go after somebody now? Also, Shumpert opted into his option so he's on the team and can play 2/3, so there's another serviceable wing the Kings have. I don't understand this mentality that the SF position is a NEED at this very moment.

Assuming we add Mario and/or LaVine I would trade Z-Bud and Temple for Anderson. I wouldn't even want a draft pick back and the Rockets wouldn't offer one (why would they the salaries are almost equal).
I laid this out in my post. First, the rockets are at like 128 million in salary without even re-signing Capella. They have Paul a max deal, which means they need cap relief, and what better cap relief than to dump a guy they hardly played in the playoffs due to his defensive liability? The reason Houston provides picks is because that's the point. Ryan has a horrible contract with multiple years left, meaning he's not an asset but a liability. No team is going to take on a liability without something that benefits them in return. In this case, it would be draft picks. Perhaps a future first and multiple second rounders. Our vets that match the money are expiring deals, unlike Ryan's contact, meaning it helps Houston both in salary and in talent by adding veteran depth, but they would have to give something up in return because the value isn't in Ryan as a player.

I am not crazy about this deal even if we get a 1st round pick out of it which would likely be 27-30. A late first round pick in 2019 or after is not what we need. Virtually meaningless.
Value is what we need, and value is not what this team has proven to be able to procure. Let me put it this way: even if a low first round pick isn't "what the team needs" right now, acquiring assets to be used in future deals sets the team up with more tools in their toolbox than they would otherwise have to make deals instead of wasting it on a free agent that isn't going to matter until the youth have developed.

Houston needs a defensive wing after losing Ariza. The problem is that their pick will be late 1st. I think a solution is involving a third team looking for contract dumps and moving all three of your enders for two 1sts. (That you can then use to acquire a higher 1st or a young player.)

Value is what we need, and value is not what this team has proven to be able to procure. Let me put it this way: even if a low first round pick isn't "what the team needs" right now, acquiring assets to be used in future deals sets the team up with more tools in their toolbox than they would otherwise have to make deals instead of wasting it on a free agent that isn't going to matter until the youth have developed.
Exactly. The Kings window to make a splash is going to be 20/21 or probably more 21/22 if/when the core guys have developed but are still on rookie deals or enter RFA. The way the CBA works, this the time to invest in FA and then resign your own guys. But if you dont do that and resign all your guys to big contracts, you dont have a chance to get better. So until then, the Kings need to build up an asset-base. Get picks in salary dumps. Sign value contracts. Whether Ryno is the right target is up for debate, but the thought process reasons with me.

If it were up to me, and the way it looks right now, I would probably make taking bad salary a priority. Anderson is not option one, I'd look at Denver first and probably Milwauke second. Their pick projects to be anywhere between 12-25 so more upside for a good pick and they need to get rid of money as well. Usually, taking on 20 mil in guqranteed salary equals a protected first round pick. Denver probably wants to get rid of Faried, Arthur, Chandler. Milwaukee probably of Delladova, Henson.
Then I'd try to use the rest of the space for a low budget young SF. Glenn Robinson is already of the board but Treveon Graham is still available and an UFA. 3&D guy that plays hard. 3 years 9-12 million total seems to be a fair deal for him. That is life changing money for him and the Kings have a chance to build another asset. Start him for 15-20 min until you go small with Buddy/Bogdan 2/3.

But why do we need to "shore up the SF" position NOW? This team isn't going to compete for the playoffs the next two seasons at least, so why go after somebody now? Also, Shumpert opted into his option so he's on the team and can play 2/3, so there's another serviceable wing the Kings have. I don't understand this mentality that the SF position is a NEED at this very moment.

I laid this out in my post. First, the rockets are at like 128 million in salary without even re-signing Capella. They have Paul a max deal, which means they need cap relief, and what better cap relief than to dump a guy they hardly played in the playoffs due to his defensive liability? The reason Houston provides picks is because that's the point. Ryan has a horrible contract with multiple years left, meaning he's not an asset but a liability. No team is going to take on a liability without something that benefits them in return. In this case, it would be draft picks. Perhaps a future first and multiple second rounders. Our vets that match the money are expiring deals, unlike Ryan's contact, meaning it helps Houston both in salary and in talent by adding veteran depth, but they would have to give something up in return because the value isn't in Ryan as a player.

My bad, when I responded to your post I thought Anderson had one year left. I thought he was owed 20M over 1 year not 40M over 2 years. I amend what I said before. I don't want anything to do with him. Why should we take on 20M for 2019-20 for a late 1st round pick? There is a better way to add to our talent base. I also don't subscribe to the idea we will not be any good for two years so lets take 40M in dead money. I would rather use that space to add Zack LaVine and / or Mario H. These players fit the development curve of Fox (20), Bagley (19), Boggy (25) and Buddy (24). A 23 year old fits this group as opposed to say a 2019 pick who is 19 year old and may be two years away and not be be the greatest prospect to begin with.

I think NOW is a good time to secure the best free agents we can get with limited open market competition and to define a 5-6 man core that can be perennial 50 win team. I understand if you think Zach Lavine is not the guy you want to commit to and I have my doubts too. But if we do pass on him I would not resort to taking on 20M of Ryan Anderson in 2019-2020. That becomes an opportunity cost and you and not getting enough back from the Rockets to incur that cost.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't mind taking on bad contracts for picks. I don't mind trading existing assets for picks, though I think all three players mentioned should be on the roster to the trade deadline and KK may be worth re-signing. But if you're going to do it you don't do it for a top 3 team in the west with a legitimate title shot. Those picks are 2nd rounders with guaranteed money.

I don't mind taking on bad contracts for picks. I don't mind trading existing assets for picks, though I think all three players mentioned should be on the roster to the trade deadline and KK may be worth re-signing. But if you're going to do it you don't do it for a top 3 team in the west with a legitimate title shot. Those picks are 2nd rounders with guaranteed money.
But a top team trying to contend now with salary issues is more likely to deal young talent + picks than a mediocre team trying to shed salary. If you look at the other top teams, I don't see a great deal because they aren't that good. They will want to retain their draft picks but might be willing to part with a prospect.