Revisiting idea of Hibbert

Not outright endorsing a trade for Hibbert, however it is something that becomes viable again given that the pacers are the latest team to be endorsing small ball. Expected more from you Larry but hey each to their own.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pacers-looking-play-smaller-faster-next-season-171305339--nba.html
Funny enough I was thinking the same thing after seeing that article! I have never been a fan of Hibbert, however he does provide a huge need for us. Question is what would we have to offer Indiana? He makes around $14 million a year though, we would have to probably find another team to get it on this to make it work.

C Hibbert
PF DMC
SF Gay
SG ?
PG Collison

You would have to find a quality SG through another trade or signing and that is without a doubt a playoff team....bench will have to be fixed of course but thats not such a tall order compared to fielding a good starting lineup.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not outright endorsing a trade for Hibbert, however it is something that becomes viable again given that the pacers are the latest team to be endorsing small ball. Expected more from you Larry but hey each to their own.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pacers-looking-play-smaller-faster-next-season-171305339--nba.html
Gotta disagree here. I think there's a LOT MORE to the Hibbert situation than thinking Larry Bird just wants to play small ball. If we're gonna spend good money on a player, I'd just as soon it be a player we don't have to worry about.

J

jdbraver

Gotta disagree here. I think there's a LOT MORE to the Hibbert situation than thinking Larry Bird just wants to play small ball. If we're gonna spend good money on a player, I'd just as soon it be a player we don't have to worry about.
I think Adding Hibbert would give us the slowest lateral front court in the history of basketball. Even worse perimeter D.

he's not going to be able to check the better of the 2 opposing front court players. we need a dalembert, drummond, unibrow, wcs type of player next to cuz. mobile defensive players.. JT is OK against certain match ups.. but he isn't the shot blocker.

I think everyone is forgetting how incredible of a defensive player Hibbert is. He is not just a tall log or a lumbering stiff! The guy can literally change games with his defense. Anyone else wonder why Indiana is in the playoffs? Well being in the East helps, but Roy doesnt get enough credit for anchoring them all season. I personally have never felt Indiana was a good fit for him.

Maybe hes not the ideal 2nd tower next to DMC, but he is certainly an imposing presence in the lane and combined with a better DMC next season we could really shut teams down in the paint!
Then find a hard nosed 3 & D shooting guard and voila! Playoffs!

Lets not try to speculate too much about whats going on over in Indiana with that whole team...

I think everyone is forgetting how incredible of a defensive player Hibbert is. He is not just a tall log or a lumbering stiff! The guy can literally change games with his defense. Anyone else wonder why Indiana is in the playoffs? Well being in the East helps, but Roy doesnt get enough credit for anchoring them all season. I personally have never felt Indiana was a good fit for him.

Maybe hes not the ideal 2nd tower next to DMC, but he is certainly an imposing presence in the lane and combined with a better DMC next season we could really shut teams down in the paint!
Then find a hard nosed 3 & D shooting guard and voila! Playoffs!

Lets not try to speculate too much about whats going on over in Indiana with that whole team...
1. Hibbert is one of the best rim-protectors on the league, no doubt about it.

2. Indiana is not in the playoffs.

3. It's not that the pairing is not ideal, it seems highly unlikely to work- Hibbert does most of his job in the paint, and we are not talking about a guy like DeAndre that uses his explosiveness for rim-runs and help defence, Hibbert style is more standing in the paint and disrupting any attempt to score (and he is damn good at that).
That means on defense Cousins will have to guard PF's which is far from ideal.
on offense we will clog the paint with this two guys, and as someone said above:
I think Adding Hibbert would give us the slowest lateral front court in the history of basketball. Even worse perimeter D.

1. Hibbert is one of the best rim-protectors on the league, no doubt about it.

2. Indiana is not in the playoffs.

3. It's not that the pairing is not ideal, it seems highly unlikely to work- Hibbert does most of his job in the paint, and we are not talking about a guy like DeAndre that uses his explosiveness for rim-runs and help defence, Hibbert style is more standing in the paint and disrupting any attempt to score (and he is damn good at that).
That means on defense Cousins will have to guard PF's which is far from ideal.
on offense we will clog the paint with this two guys, and as someone said above:

ahhh sleep depravation, yeah i was thinking they were in and boston was out lol

anyways...

Im not so fond of having DMC guard PF either, but he is a smart and adaptable player and can keep up with most of them athletically. In the end though it really comes down to what options do we really have if we want a rim protector? Not too many centers or PF's who will be free agents will be lining up at the chance to sign here! Much easier in my opinion to trade for one rather than hoping one will sign with us then using that pick or some pieces to get a starting quality SG.

I'm just sayin that I wouldnt be surprised if we saw Hibbert as our starting C next season :p

ahhh sleep depravation, yeah i was thinking they were in and boston was out lol

anyways...

Im not so fond of having DMC guard PF either, but he is a smart and adaptable player and can keep up with most of them athletically. In the end though it really comes down to what options do we really have if we want a rim protector? Not too many centers or PF's who will be free agents will be lining up at the chance to sign here! Much easier in my opinion to trade for one rather than hoping one will sign with us then using that pick or some pieces to get a starting quality SG.

I'm just sayin that I wouldnt be surprised if we saw Hibbert as our starting C next season :p
A option a lot of people suggest is that our rim protector is... Cousins. there was a pretty long thread about Cousins as a defender, and while he is not elite in rim protecting you can make the case for him being better than guys like DeAndre at rim protection (better Opp FGP at Rim), and I think a guy that can come in as a PF rim-protecter/help-defender and defend quicker guys at the perimeter is WCS.

about the part I bolded, we spent 2 lottery picks on SG's in the last to draft- drafting 3 SG's in 3 years with top-10 picks is borderline insane.
I think we should go for a proven player that can defend at SG, I'm all for over-paying Middleton/Danny Green/Wesley Matthews (if it seems like he can make full recovery).

If you do want to get a C to play next to Cousins, I think that RoLo game is better, and he is a free agent.