Reina's transcripts: Media day 2004

" Sports line 1140...the Rant and Echo Show!"

These are all expect for RA which I'll post tomorrow.

Few comments:

-Grant hyped up the Peja interview, which I found a disappointment in more ways that one.

-DC, Mr. Professional, Mr. teammate--He's great.

Brad--you got to love that guy

Chris: I think he's finally realized what he should say and what he shouldn't say to the media and how he should say it.

Doug Christie

Grant: Alot of people want to know why the procedure was done now, as opposed to earlier in the summer, can you take us through the summer?

SC: You'd have to start at the beginning. Normally when people get something like Plantar Facitis, they sit it down, the rest it like Wally Sczerkiack rested it. You give it enough time to rest it, it goes away. Well, I got it at time when I chose not to rest it, I pounded it, pushed it...then I got a shot in it....It just didn't get better. I think that was because of what I did to it during the season. So then when I came back, that was a last resort or I could have sat down and wait now because its calm down. To be able to go, I would have to do to something like I did which is 1900 volts in the bottom of your foot...Right now I'm still numb in the bottom of my foot, I really can't feel it.....I went to the doctor today and he gave me some good feed back and I'm walking now without a real limp. Feeling pretty good.

[Omitted stuff I might add later]

Lam: Everyone wants to know how everyone is getting along...in your opinion, how is everyone getting along?

DC: We've had high expectation and we've fell short, and that's frustrating as hell. We all want to win. For there not to be some inner fighting in the family then something probably is wrong. I didn't really see a big problem with what went on. When I speak of our team, I speak of love. And I know I don't speak of that too highly because we care about each other out there on the basketball court and off the court. There are not many of us who been here a long time but the one's who have been here definitely care for each other. And I didn't think there was big deal with what was said and what went on. I don't think any of those guys will hold grudged or anything like that. Now as far the collective group, we've add new pieces and I;m going to have to speak on that till we all get together and get some practice time out on the court.

Grant: I thought you had the best season of your career last year...

DC: Last year you asked me what I expected and I said getting better and that's what I feel now. For so long I depended on my athletic ability and now I''m finally starting to learn the game. I watch the tapes and feel like I'm going to go out there and feel better than I did last year. Some people say that but that's actually what I feel. I feel just as quick and everything. You loose a step and you gain some up stairs now you have to put those together and that probably helps a step.

Last edited:
Peja Stojakovic

[Talk on being a father and how that changed his life, his child is first everything else second]

Grant: Where do things stand as we start a new season

Peja: Well, I'm a professional and I'm still under the contract with the Kings and I'm here to honor my contract. I still stand by the words I said in August. But life goes on and I'm here. The Kings organization are the ones that make decision and I'm a professional and going to honor that.

Grant: Are you worried at all with this affecting your performance?

Peja: When you step on the court yo always give your best. I heard some rumors that I won't show up for the media day or for training camp, but that would be disrespectful for the Kings organization and for my teammates. They gave my a lot of support the last couple of years so I'm here like I said. I'm here and when I step on the court I'm going to play basketball.

Lam: Are 100% physically and mentally?

Peja: I had four months to rest...rest basketball life. Normal stuff, no national team....[talk on serving one night for the Greek Army and Olympics]

Lam: Is being businesslike your approach to this year?

Peja: Vlade is something else..not only me I think most of the guys are sad that he left. He was great teammate, player, but its also business and he's did what's best for his career. I don't like hearing people say that Vlade or Chris are the reasons why I asked for a trade. I gave my reasons and I never mentioned any names. I just have my own reasons and thought it would best for my career.

Grant: Are there things that could be done that would help make you change you mind about that?

Peja: Well, you know, time is going to show, time is going to show what is going to happen. Like I said, that's my life that's my job. I'm still under contract, I'm honoring that. I really have a great respect for this city and the Kings organization.

[ More daddy talk & Get a Cue event...other stuff, blah blah blah]

Grant: Before we let you go, everyone is this town wants to know, if this team still talented enough to go the distance and get that championship?

Peja: ....Well..we shouldn't give big promises. Obviously this team has the talent, it just has to go the course and play basketball...and see what's going to happen.

Last edited:
Brad Miller

Brad: (On what he did in the off season) I got a little gym put in my barn so I could do a lot of shooting, but I don't play a whole lot of up and down. My style fit for summer type ball..[inaudibale]..I got kings colors for it.

Lam: I remember getting back, seeing everyone for the first time, slapping them on their back, is that the atmosphere you had today?

Brad: Well not so much with the media, its my least favorite day. Everyone's been around expect for Peja and I saw Peja the other say since we're neighbors.

Grant: Did he take the for sale sigh off this front lawn?

Brad: I never saw one...I kinds stalked him down and said hello to him. But everyone's pretty much been around and playing and everything.

[talk about being out of the lime light]

Lam: What has been your overall impression on how Peja feels?

Brad: He's been so lucky his first 6 years to have Vlade here, which is pretty much his dad. From coming for the same country and when Hedo was here, I came over and Hedo was gone and those three always hanging out. He's just been real lucky to have the best case scenario for a foreign player to have people, one from your country and one right there, just being able to talk their own language....now know one speaks Serbian....I've been situations where I've made friends and then get traded...

Grant: There's a lot of talent here....Its pretty much the same team here isn't it?

Brad: You just loose Vlade and are whole bench is different...But basically we got out top 7 out of 8 players back. We've just got to say healthy, that's all.

[Baseball talk]

Lam: What makes it special working with Mike Bibby?

Brad: Well if the defender goes under the pick, its a guaranteed shot. Just makes it easier...I just turn and duck my head a bit to make sure he doesn't hit me in the back of the head with the shot....His moves are good off the pick...

Lam: What do you get more satisfaction out of, him hitting the shot or you hitting the shot?

Brad: Me drawing his guy and him hitting a 3

Last edited:
Chris Webber

Not a sit down interview with Grant, talking to all of the media:

Chris: (laughing)You know I missed all of you. I had dreams about you every night. I'm glad to be back here.

Media: What was your summer like?

Chris: I didn't really do much. I spent a lot of time with my family, went home a lot...Family family family really. Old friends a lot of guys I used to play with. I just got back to the young guy...hung out with all the people I grew up with. I tried to see everyone who had an affect on my life in a positive way...I really just went home. I didn't go on vacation, I don't have any good stories like that. I a lot of business and a lot of family.

Media: Are yo ready to play basketball again, put the end of last season behind?

Chris: Any time you don't win a championship you come in here to play. Last time I checked we haven't won a championship, so yeah I'm definitely ready to come in to play.

Media: Have you talked to Peja?

Chris: Yup

Media: You talk about anything specific, like comments or...

Chris: I don't have any comment about that. But me and Peja are cool. I can't speak on another man, what they think.

Media: What are the dynamics of the team?

Chris: I think they're good. As long as you have talented players, as long as we have Peja, Bobby, Mike, myself, Doug, Brad, we'll be OK no matter what happens.

Media: How different are things going to be this year, no Vlade, new faces...?

Chris: We're going to miss Vlade, not have him around its going to be tough. I wish him well with his back injury, as well. But at the same time, we've had not control over that. Our job is to come in and do what we can with what we got, so we're ready to go.

Media: [Inaudible, something like] Is there going to be a different type of leadership here?

Chris: No, I'm just going to be myself. Be myself and work hard, try to win a championship. That has been my goal the last 12 years I have been in the league. I don't know, who has the most seniority? Probably me and Doug, we've been through the most as far as in our careers with disappointments and things like that. We definetly want a championship and we're going to work hard and try to get-its all we can do.

Media: Do you feel like the window is still open?

Chris: Any time I play the window is open. That's how I feel.

Media: [Inaudible, something about a different mentality and if there is a different one for this season...I think]

Chris: Not really. I talk to people who know the game, talk to people on this team...we all know what time it is. We ready to have fun and play basketball again. As far as everyone making something out of what was said...who cares. I'm here to have fun, God has made me healthy, my family it doing well, I'm just glad to be playing basketball.

Media: Are you a 100%?

Chris: I don't know. But I know there are a lot of guys, for me getting criticized, who had the knee surgery around the same time that aren't around right now. So I'm blessed to here.

Media: But if you had to give a percentage, do you feel that you are 90...?

Chris: I'm not giving a percentage, that how y'all get me in trouble. I'm feeling good, so hopefully y'all can keep on going.

Media: If you and Peja and cool, do you still expect him to want to be traded?

Chris: I can't speak for him. We're always going to be cool, but I can't speak for him. You have to ask him if he wants to stay or go.

Media: How about Ostertag..?

Chris: Well I've gotten the chance to play with him a couple of time and it means we'll have O rebounds and guys at the basket who'll foul. It won't mean lay-ups and that's what we need

Media: [Something about toughness]

Chris: We need toughness definitely. I expect everyone that we have to make a solid impact, every body. That's how its always been here, its always been a guy stepping it up, whether is Darius, Anthony Peeler, Tony Massenberg or years before with Vernon Maxwell. One characteristic of the team is guys stepping up in the presence of injury or guys being tired. I expect us to do well.

Media: Do you think you can get that team chemistry back, or it that really a concern?

Chris: Its not really a concern of mine because none of you are in the lockerroom, so what do you mean get it back?

Media: Do you think its overrated?

Chris: No team chemistry matters, its very important.

Media: Have you ever played with a guy that didn't want to be here?

Chris: In my career, yeah I played with a lot of different instances.

Media: Have you been that that situation?

Chris: I got shipped away from every place I wanted to play

Last edited:
ReinadelosReys said:
Peja: Vlade is something else..not only me I think most of the guys are sad that he left. He was great teammate, player, but its also business and he did what's best for his career. I don't like hearing people say that Vlade or Chris are the reasons why I asked for a trade. I gave my reasons and I never mentioned any names. I just have my own reasons and thought it would best for my career.
Glad that is ''cleared up''

Is'nt he just following Vlade by example?

Thanks Miss Reina

thanks so much reina!

i agree with your comments, too..

peja --kind of same old, same old..

doug --professional as always

brad --i loved that interview.. good to hear about the gym thing :)

chris --wow, he definitely said the right things.. i don't know how that could be twisted to make him look like satan.. hehe

it's so nice to hear from the team again!! :D i'm just wondering why we don't hear anything from mike..

Last edited:
Rick Aldeman

[Talk on his summer]

Grant: There has been a lot going on this summer, do you approach this camp the same way as in the past or do you try different things?

RA: Well I think you have to be aware of things that have happen, been said and everything else. But the biggest thing is that guys come out on the floor together and that they're ready to go, and I think that's going to be true. I don't know how its all going to play out. But I think its important, we've had a great situation the last four years. We still have a real nice core group. We still have to find out what Greg gives us that Vlade didn't give us, and if he can help us. Brad's going to step in and play well I believe that, but nothings ever easy. I think once you reach a certain level in any sport, its one thing to get there and its another thing to stay there, and we've been able to stay there for four years and that's a challenge for this group. They've always responded, we've always found a way, and maybe that's sometimes...you loose something and you don't know how good it was and that's why I am going to try to part them that we've still got a chance to be pretty good here, its really what you want to make of it. Nothing is more important to us than winning and losing as a team. I talked to Peja and I think he's going to be ready to practice tomorrow and that's all I care about right now.

Lam: How much of your job is group dynamics and making sure everyone gets along?

RA: I think we've been very fortunate with the group that we've had here and they have gotten along extremely well and genuinely liked each other. The chemistry's been a big thing. I've said before, well we've haven't got past the Lakers and they had very little chemistry, so maybe we need controversy on this team, I don't know. I really think it comes down to, these guys are going to have to work hard at it. We lost Vlade, he was a real glue for us. These guys are going to have to reach out to the young guys. How far do they want to go, what do they want to happen to this team? If you want this team to splinter, you can do that. I've talked to Chris about it, I'm going to continue to talk to him and talk to each player individually, you know, what can they do. Not everybody reacts to, where you get in their face, some guys react better if you pat them on the back some guys are different. But you have to each others back. These guys have always felt that someone has their back all the time, and that's why we've won when people have gone out with injuries. I expect, with the core group we have, for them to come together. Because we better, with the way we start the season with the 3 Texas games and we've got to be ready to go.

Lam: Great coaches always do what you said...how different is it dealing with a BJ as opposed to a Peja , Mike Bibby opposed to Brad Miller?

RA: They're completly different. Bobby's a hard it and he knows it. I deal with Bobby Jackson by just talking to him and really we have a good time going back and forth with each other. I told him the other say when he didn't work out, it was a nice peaceful work out, there was no one bitching about the officials. He said you know who I am, and I said yeah I know who you are. I think you have to get a real sense of what pushes each guys buttons and you got to keep talking to them individually as much as you can. I think that's going to be even more important if you do have a little bit of controversy. That's why I want them to understand how good they have it. They have a chance to be a very good team again and if they lose sight of that, its going to be gone and they'll wonder what happened. So I really got to make them aware that they have a great opportunity to succeed, and I'm going to let it slip away. I'm going to make sure they still have every opportunity and that's the attitude that they have to have.

Grant: How anxious are you to see Chris Webber practice tomorrow and are you approaching this preseason differently because of the travel?

RA: Yes, I'm anxious to see how Chris plays. I just talked to him about you know…Chris always wants to play and sometimes I don't think its in his best interest to play 40 min a game. I don't think that's true for our whole team. I don't think its in Doug's best interest to play that much, Peja's. We should have enough people to play instead of them. The biggest thing I want to see…I think the China week, you through out the window and then the first 3 days back you through them out the window. After the Fresno game the you start back in again. The biggest thing I'm telling this team, the next 8 days are crucial for us. We have to find out about these young guys, what we are going to do with the team. We're not easing into this, we got to be ready to go. I am going to coach it a bit differently. One of the things I really want to do is I want to is with Bobby, Daruis and Greg, and if Doug's back, I want to put a 5 guys on the court as a second group to see if I can't fin a group that night and night can give us energy and can play well together and that can come at the other team a little differently than our starters. I think we have some young guys who can play and adding Greg and having Bobby back-and Bobby looks great-and having Darius another year, I think we can find a second group that can do that for us. I want to see that happen in exhibition season.

Lam: You're looking for a change up pitch…

RA: Well the starters generally get in playing the same way. And sometimes you get lock in to what you want to run as a team, its great for the starters, but maybe the second group doesn't have Brad and Webb on the court, so those big guys do something different for you. We can still run the same stuff but you but the emphasis of loading a Bobby Jackson up, you put the emphasis of doing things out of our offense that maybe the starters don't do. I really believe with young guys, they're obedient, they'll do things that maybe the young guys won't do and we've got to find a way to see if we can make that happen.

Lam: You said something about Chris, that he would go 40 min every night if he could, do you have to protect players from themselves because they do want to go at it every time?

Grant: I think that over a long season especially. I think the biggest thing we want to do, we want to set ourselves up over 82 games being the best spot possible and the end of the year but we want to be ready. I thought because of injuries last year, I though Doug especially wore down because Bobby got hurt, we didn't have him the last 30 games, I thin Peja got wore down. I think people always say you shouldn't have done that you shouldn't have done this, but honestly, the only guy I had to play behind Mike and Peja was Doug. Because Gerald was hurt a lot of the time. But I think we got some young guys, you put them on the court and get the some time, they're going to surprise some people. So, I'm trying to protect those guys a little bit more, I want to see us fresh. If we get injuries, I don't know how deep we are, because we don't have a lot of centers depth, but we'll see. I mean I like this group coming in, its kind of interesting to me, it give challenges to me and the coaching staff, it's a different team yet at the same time I feel really good about that core team coming back that we know a lot about.

------------

Return of the "Bench Mob" ? :)

piksi

Hall of Famer
I guess, I will continue to stay sceptical. All this talking did not give any reason to feel better in the whole situation. Any time people use diplomacy when they talk about oyher people - they are hiding something.

I have that feeling that some of things were "rehearsed" - at least that is how they soond to me.

Everything "smells" after roster/coaching changes before the season is over.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks, Reina!

Although I'm sure some people will continue to try and ride the "drama" horse, it seems pretty apparent by what Peja, Chris, Brad, et all said that this whole TDOS hype is over and done.

In fact, after watching all the various news outlets around, reading all the articles, etc. I think the most telling comment is, in fact, that of Brad.

Lam: What has been your overall impression on how Peja feels?

Brad: He's been so lucky his first 6 years to have Vlade here, which is pretty much his dad. From coming for the same country and when Hedo was here, I came over and Hedo was gone and those three always hanging out. He's just been real lucky to have the best case scenario for a foreign player to have people, one from your country and one right there, just being able to talk their own language....now know one speaks Serbian....I've been situations where I've made friends and then get traded...
People can continue to try and create more ominous scenarios but the idea that Peja wanted to be traded because his two best friends are gone sure sounds legitimate to me. I know it's not as dramatic and it doesn't dump on Webber, but it certainly makes sense. It also falls right in line with Peja's outburst about the organization not doing everything they could to keep Vlade...

Peja has had two real close friends on the team since he came here, and now they're both gone. I think when you look at that, when you look at his comment about possibly being traded to a place with a large Serbian population, etc. you're seeing someone who is lonesome and homesick for a fellow countryman or at least someone who speaks his language.

I think everything is going to be fine...

On another note, did anyone see the news with Tag doing a "glancing back over the shoulder" Playboy-type pose for the camera? I saw it on News10 and am trying desperately to find a photo of it. It was classic and totally hilarious!!

Nice to hear this from Adelman. He does't want the starters to get worn down. This should alleviate many of our fears of the 8-man rotation. The guy knows what he's doing.

VF21 said:
On another note, did anyone see the news with Tag doing a "glancing back over the shoulder" Playboy-type pose for the camera? I saw it on News10 and am trying desperately to find a photo of it. It was classic and totally hilarious!!
Yeah, I saw it too! LOL!! I also want to see a photo of it.

Side note---

::Looking around the Web::

I'd appreciate it if people post things that I transcribe on other message boards they at least give me credit. These things take time to get together, but its a labor of love. I do it because I love the Kings, I love this board and I enjoy talking Kings with other people, plus its good for reference.

-Thanks. :)

ReinadelosReys said:
Side note---

I'd appreciate it if people post things that I transcribe on other message boards they at least give me credit. These things take time to get together, but its a labor of love. I do it because I love the Kings, I love this board and I enjoy talking Kings with other people, plus its good for reference.

I hijack your stuff all the time, but I ALWAYS give you (and this board) credit, as well as thanks.:)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
ReinadelosReys said:
Side note---

Reina, I recognize that this task was, in fact, very laborious. I cannot tell you just how much I appreciate that you take the time to do this for us (especially us out-of-towners). All I can do is echo Prophetess' sentiment...

REINA, YOU ROCK!!

And, I agree that if anyone wants to post this on other sites, the least they can do is give you the credit.

"Who is the cat to the left of Elston Turner"?
That's Bubba Burrage. He's in his second year now as an assistant Coach, but he's been with the team for something like 6 years as a video coordinator and a scout. Mostly, he still scouts the upcoming opposition, prepares scouting reports and breakdown tapes on the teams and players. Therefore, he travels quite a bit.

Thanks for the transcripts Reys.

It looks like Bibby got new tats, one on each wrist.

The biggest thing I'm telling this team, the next 8 days are crucial for us. We have to find out about these young guys, what we are going to do with the team. We're not easing into this, we got to be ready to go. I am going to coach it a bit differently. One of the things I really want to do is I want to is with Bobby, Daruis and Greg, and if Doug's back, I want to put a 5 guys on the court as a second group to see if I can't fin a group that night and night can give us energy and can play well together and that can come at the other team a little differently than our starters. I think we have some young guys who can play and adding Greg and having Bobby back-and Bobby looks great-and having Darius another year, I think we can find a second group that can do that for us. I want to see that happen in exhibition season.

Lam: You're looking for a change up pitch…

RA: Well the starters generally get in playing the same way. And sometimes you get lock in to what you want to run as a team, its great for the starters, but maybe the second group doesn't have Brad and Webb on the court, so those big guys do something different for you. We can still run the same stuff but you but the emphasis of loading a Bobby Jackson up, you put the emphasis of doing things out of our offense that maybe the starters don't do. I really believe with young guys, they're obedient, they'll do things that maybe the young guys won't do and we've got to find a way to see if we can make that happen.
I like the sound of this. In the past we had versatile interchangeable players, who were able to come right in without the offense needing to change much. Now it's still to be seen whether our new bench can do that. So, it's a good idea to try to develop a second team based around their strengths. It's one of the reasons why Wallace never fit in when subbing for Peja. The starters are used to the passing, cutting and hitting the open J and we all know those weren't strengths of Wallace's.

It looks like Bibby got new tats, one on each wrist.
Its funny you mention that because that was exactly the first thing I noticed in that pic.

I still think Webb needs to go back to the quasi-fro with some corn rows thrown in every once in awhile.

bdouble013 said:
Its funny you mention that because that was exactly the first thing I noticed in that pic.

I still think Webb needs to go back to the quasi-fro with some corn rows thrown in every once in awhile.
At first I was going to say....no that's just his WWJD bracelet on his wrist, but I looked again, sure enough he got yet some more tattoos.

Reina.....I know exactly what you're talking about, I looked at another Kings site, saw they mentioned the interviews. Didn't think too much of it until I saw how it was written(more like cut and pasted). The only things that were changed were these:
Reina said:
SC: You'd have to start at the beginning.
DC: You'd have to start at the beginning.
as well as the omitted parts on whether they were talking about Gettacue and baseball.

Thank You Reina........I appreciate that this is something that you choose to do because you want to.

Thanks HF for the pictures!

Excellent posts as always Reina. Much thanks for your hard work.

I found Adelman's comments the most telling personally. I really like Adelman and have come to respect and appreciate what he does for this team the last 2-3 years. I want a championship a lot, but having a team that wins 50 games every year in the incredibly deep and difficult Western Conference is quite an achievement and one I hope people keep in mind when think they about Rick.

People get antsy and want to see Adelman fired during the course of the season, but these same people seem to forget how unsuccessful we were as a team before he got here. This guy is an EXCEPTIONAL coach at teaching his players chemistry and how to play together and I think as long as we keep him around we're going to have a great team to watch and a team that's going to win their fair share of games.

I don't feel it's fair to blame Rick for our lack of rings, as basically it has come down to getting hurt or a player not making shots they normally should. Anyway, I'm a big Adelman supporter, and I hope other people realize the great things he's done and is doing for this team.