Randolph Gets Community Service Sentence....

3-7 game suspension is what I'm expecting. Then the Kings will concur but not add on to the suspension.
For those of you who have been hoping the Kings would find a way to get rid of him (and his contract), it's not happening.

Zach owes Kingsfans a personal apology for screwing up the mojo. The Kings had a brief window of positive press and it would really suck for a new guy who is being brought in as a veteran leader to alter the the positivite image that the team had created up to this point. A sincere, personal apology will do.

Zach owes Kingsfans a personal apology for screwing up the mojo. The Kings had a brief window of positive press and it would really suck for a new guy who is being brought in as a veteran leader to alter the the positivite image that the team had created up to this point. A sincere, personal apology will do.
I will prefer some hard nosed play on the Basketball Court to an apology.

The DA in Socal put this in context. This was not the French Connection. This was a mistake by a Professional Basketball Player and has been treated as such.

Here is a quote from this link--> https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017...-kings-weed-charges-plea-deal-suspension-jail

From Zach Randolph’s Attorney, Raymond Brothers:

“As we have said from the beginning, the reports regarding Zach Randolph are false and misleading. After being accused of marijuana possession, all charges have been dropped. He was never arrested with any marijuana in or on his possession. He has been cited for delaying a police officer. It’s defamatory for someone to say anything to the contrary.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/13/zach-randolph-plea-deal-weed-case-no-jail/

Well, apparently the DA didn't have much of a desire to go after Randolph. Evidently Randolph pled no contest to the resisting arrest charge and in exchange got the possession charge dropped entirely. At this point, with no conviction on possession at all I'd be surprised to see Randolph get any penalty from the NBA at all. He'll probably have to enter the marijuana program (due to reasonable suspicion of possession) but that might be it.

Must be nice to be rich and famous. I don't think Joe Blow gets caught with two pounds of pot without catching a felony distribution rap, Randolph gets the charges dropped and as a result gets to have his lawyer come out with the following:

“As we have said from the beginning, the reports regarding Zach Randolph are false and misleading. After being accused of marijuana possession, all charges have been dropped. He was never arrested with any marijuana in or on his possession. He has been cited for delaying a police officer. It’s defamatory for someone to say anything to the contrary.
Well, TMZ is standing by its report that he was busted with two pounds of marijuana. Somehow, I doubt that Zach's lawyer will be suing them for libel, threatening statements about defamation notwithstanding.

The whole thing kind of chaps my hide. Everybody should have to play by the same rules.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The DA in Socal put this in context. This was not the French Connection. This was a mistake by a Professional Basketball Player and has been treated as such.
Okay, that makes me mad. A mistake by a Professional Basketball Player gets preferential treatment? Randolph is no innocent. He's been in trouble before. I'm not arguing the plea deal as much as I am wondering if Random Joe Citizen would have received anything close to the same treatment.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Well, apparently the DA didn't have much of a desire to go after Randolph. Evidently Randolph pled no contest to the resisting arrest charge and in exchange got the possession charge dropped entirely. At this point, with no conviction on possession at all I'd be surprised to see Randolph get any penalty from the NBA at all. He'll probably have to enter the marijuana program (due to reasonable suspicion of possession) but that might be it.

Must be nice to be rich and famous. I don't think Joe Blow gets caught with two pounds of pot without catching a felony distribution rap, Randolph gets the charges dropped and as a result gets to have his lawyer come out with the following:

Well, TMZ is standing by its report that he was busted with two pounds of marijuana. Somehow, I doubt that Zach's lawyer will be suing them for libel, threatening statements about defamation notwithstanding.

The whole thing kind of chaps my hide. Everybody should have to play by the same rules.
Totally agree. And, at the end of a year the record will be expunged? Must be nice to be rich.

Okay, that makes me mad. A mistake by a Professional Basketball Player gets preferential treatment? Randolph is no innocent. He's been in trouble before. I'm not arguing the plea deal as much as I am wondering if Random Joe Citizen would have received anything close to the same treatment.
You and I would probably spend some time in jail. Don't like it but those millions are like a get out of jail card at times.

Well since the pot charge was dropped, without a conviction I dont see how any suspension from NBA could happen for that

I suppose the no contest plea on a misdemeanor resisting arrest is the same as a conviction, but I only see NBA suspension for 1 0r 2 Games if any

Rich NBA Stars Laughing at our justice system - what a lesson for Rookies everywhere

Last edited:
There appears to be an underlying sentiment from a lot of posters that Zbo got off easy because he is rich. While I understand that this a seductive narrative, it doesn't appear to be factually based. The DA is an officer of the court and I don't believe that he/she would go easy on Zbo just because of money. I think that is insulting to the DA and impugns his/her character without evidence.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd really like to know what the 150 hours (about 19 work days) entails. Is it picking up trash on the side of the freeway, or is it having a basketball camp for underprivileged youth?

I'd really like to know what the 150 hours (about 19 work days) entails. Is it picking up trash on the side of the freeway, or is it having a basketball camp for underprivileged youth?
Well given who Zach is it really should be able where he can add the most value but who knows how the bigwigs think about all this.

Not sure why you are certain about this.
I'm only "reasonably certain." But I think the NBA can base their suspensions on more than whatever court sentencing results from this.
But if you were asking about why I'm certain the Kings won't get rid of him, I would say what makes you think Vlade wants to fight that fight? What in his history tells you that he's a morality enforcer? Remember, Vlade was a secret smoker while playng in the NBA. My guess is that made him more tolerant to people who live outside the norm. He tolerated Collison's "spousal abuse" problem. He tolerated Lawson and his distractions. He tolerated DMC until he realized the need for a complete reboot. If this were a huge thing for the fans, he might feel some pressure. Or if we had an owner who was a morality prince. But people are becoming more accepting of pot use. Laws are changing. Times are changing. The only constant is the lack of fairness. People with money always have an advantage.

What do you want it to be and why? Is this about doing some good for the community, or something else?

There appears to be an underlying sentiment from a lot of posters that Zbo got off easy because he is rich. While I understand that this a seductive narrative, it doesn't appear to be factually based. The DA is an officer of the court and I don't believe that he/she would go easy on Zbo just because of money. I think that is insulting to the DA and impugns his/her character without evidence.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/12/in-d...-who-killed-four-people-and-got-away-with-it/

http://nypost.com/2013/11/18/entitled-celebs-get-special-treatment-in-court/

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/12-rich-people-that-were-let-off-way-too-easy/

Just a few clicks away- loads of examples of Rich getting off easy

I am not saying its Right, but I think majority of people think its true

But I would not want to insult the DA , It might be defamatory ! LOL

Same rules but it pays to have a good attorney and of course you have to be able to pay the good attorney. Otherwise a level playing field. One way or another the has been settled and of course we can assume fairly. Good for the Kings and Zbo. Now let's move on. Preseason starts in a week in a half. Hopefully Zbo will be there and ready to go and be free to go. If his abilities have gone away, trade him.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/12/in-d...-who-killed-four-people-and-got-away-with-it/

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/12-rich-people-that-were-let-off-way-too-easy/

Those articles notwithstanding, in this case all we have is a report by TMZ and I personally would put a bit more stock in the judgment of the DA than a news site that specializes in celebrity news.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay.

I believe it probably has more to do with them being able to afford good lawyers than with them being famous.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Those articles notwithstanding, in this case all we have is a report by TMZ and I personally would put a bit more stock in the judgment of the DA than a news site that specializes in celebrity news.
With Zach's lawyer threatening defamation, I'm pretty sure TMZ would be walking their story back (the "2 pounds" story) if they didn't think they could win in court. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that for all of the bluster coming out of his lawyer's mouth, there won't be a libel case filed against TMZ and that would itself speak volumes. So I suspect that TMZ's "two pounds" story is right. Assuming that it is, the fact that the DA decided to entirely drop a charge for possession of two pounds of marijuana in exchange for a no contest plea on misdemeanor resisting arrest may be the DA's judgment, but it seems to be extremely charitable judgment. I doubt if I found myself in the same situation I would get the same consideration from the DA. Even if I said "pretty please with a cherry on top".

With Zach's lawyer threatening defamation, I'm pretty sure TMZ would be walking their story back (the "2 pounds" story) if they didn't think they could win in court. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that for all of the bluster coming out of his lawyer's mouth, there won't be a libel case filed against TMZ and that would itself speak volumes. So I suspect that TMZ's "two pounds" story is right. Assuming that it is, the fact that the DA decided to entirely drop a charge for possession of two pounds of marijuana in exchange for a no contest plea on misdemeanor resisting arrest may be the DA's judgment, but it seems to be extremely charitable judgment. I doubt if I found myself in the same situation I would get the same consideration from the DA. Even if I said "pretty please with a cherry on top".
I must have missed in the article where the attorney was threatening defamation. I'll take your word for it. But again, the fact of filing or not filing a defamation suit and the rationale behind is just more speculation. There's lot of potential reasons why someone wouldn't want to file a lawsuit. For a busy person like Zbo, it's probably not worth the time and expense of answering interrogatories, going through a deposition, etc. And that's before you even start to consider what the end-game is. He would still need to prove damages, and I'm not sure what if anything Zach lost other than perhaps some nebulous damage to character. It's not like he lost a contract, or can show that he had some endorsement deal that he lost. So realistically, why would Zach put in a ton of time into a case that's probably not worth much.

The only real facts any of us have is that the DA looked at all the evidence and decided not to proceed with all charges. The DA has ethical responsibilities, and I trust that the DA did the appropriate thing based on the state of the evidence. I trust the DA to evaluate the evidence more than TMZ.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
TMZ is actually one of the better reporting entities out there for stuff like this, quite possibly because Harvey Levin is a lawyer. He's well acquainted with the laws pertaining to libel. They also seem to have some pretty good sources for their reports. I may not always agree with the topics of some of their celebrity encounters, but their stories on factual things like arrest reports are generally spot on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In many instances, all the person has to do is find a non-profit or charitable organization that is on the "community service" list and arrange to work off his hours with them. I know up here our local volunteer fire department and the non-profit group that operates our community center and park facilities are both on the lists. I'm sure he'll get it transferred to Sacramento and he'll have a plethora of different organizations he can choose to work with.

I must have missed in the article where the attorney was threatening defamation. I'll take your word for it. But again, the fact of filing or not filing a defamation suit and the rationale behind is just more speculation. There's lot of potential reasons why someone wouldn't want to file a lawsuit. For a busy person like Zbo, it's probably not worth the time and expense of answering interrogatories, going through a deposition, etc. And that's before you even start to consider what the end-game is. He would still need to prove damages, and I'm not sure what if anything Zach lost other than perhaps some nebulous damage to character. It's not like he lost a contract, or can show that he had some endorsement deal that he lost. So realistically, why would Zach put in a ton of time into a case that's probably not worth much.

The only real facts any of us have is that the DA looked at all the evidence and decided not to proceed with all charges. The DA has ethical responsibilities, and I trust that the DA did the appropriate thing based on the state of the evidence. I trust the DA to evaluate the evidence more than TMZ.
Well DA I would assume would be involved When Zach Was Arrested with Felony Possession on Aug 10, Then on August 31 three weeks later the DA reduces charges to misdemeanor and then Sept 13 DA accepts plea and drops pot charge alltogether
What was big change in evidence between those dates - I Have no clue why didn't the DA explain his reasons. But having a Rich man Attorney on your side seems to have made all the difference, he made all sorts of statements in the press, I assume all sorts of work was done behind the scenes by the Rich Man Attorney to influence the DA's decisions. Yes neither of us have any proof of why Zach got off so easy - Im just sayin "If it walks like a Duck"