Question for TDOS...Too many injuries?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, we still have a little more than a month to go before TDOS is over.

In reading about Jamal Mashburn, I thought of something it might be interesting (or not ;) ) to talk about.

Are there, in fact, more injuries now than there used to be? If so, is there something going on - similiar to artificial turf in football - that could be the cause? Is it the style of play? Is it fragile players? Or do you think injuries are just more publicized not more frequent?

What do you think?

I think last year many allstar, MVP canadites, or leading scorers (whatever they are) were injured so it drew the media's attention more.

Players like Carter, Baron Davis, Webber, Iverson, Tracy McGrady, & Jason Kidd (towards the end) etc..

Last edited:
Of course, look at the size of the players now comparing to only 10 years ago. Players keep increasing their muscle size so every impact is stronger, but the bones and joints remain the same and this is where injuries happen.
Also, there are no more easy buckets, so the players get hacked hard when they are close to the baskets and this is where most of the injuries due to awkward landing happen.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Note also I suspect there are probably more chronically injured guys still in the league because of the advance of medicine -- once upon a time a serious knee injury was basically an instant end to your career. Nowadays they repair it, and the player comes back, but is never quite healthy again.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Mad D said:
I think last year many allstar, MVP canadites, or leading scorers (whatever they are) were injured so it drew the media's attention more.

Players like Carter, Baron Davis, Webber, Iverson, Tracy McGrady, & Jason Kidd (towards the end) etc..
Basically players that are more athletic - have a higher risk to pick up an injury. Also players that have played major minutes over longer period of time basically just get "used up"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:
Also players that have played major minutes over longer period of time basically just get "used up"
No, I think players who have played major minutes over longer periods of time are...older.

I don't think there's a necessary parallel between PT and injuries. If you can find anything substantive, I'd be interested in seeing it.

VF21 said:
I don't think there's a necessary parallel between PT and injuries. If you can find anything substantive, I'd be interested in seeing it.
That makes perfect sense to me. Time spent on the floor is when the players play the hardest, and from what I understand that's when the players get injured the most. If the players play more, the body is under more pressure and is doesn't get enough time to heal and get healthier.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the stats backed this up.

sloter said:
That makes perfect sense to me. Time spent on the floor is when the players play the hardest, and from what I understand that's when the players get injured the most. If the players play more, the body is under more pressure and is doesn't get enough time to heal and get healthier.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the stats backed this up.
Problem is playing a game and practicing hard aren't that different on the body. And Vlade might register 120 hours of gametime and 0 hours of hard practice time while another Gerald Wallace type guy will log 2 hours of gametime and 118 hours of hard practice. So the gametime might wear on a person, but its nearly impossible to quantify. And might not even be accurate (see: Mike Jordan).