Pretend we land a pick 15-20 range

Any player you think could be had in this range thatyouare excited about?

Milton, walker and Zhair are all intriguing players in this range id be excited fr us to get.

Players that I have high on my board who should be available:
Jontay (#9), De'Anthony Melton (#12).
Other than that, the Kings should probably have wings pretty high, so Troy Brown and Bates-Diop are worth looking at as well.

It would depend on who we drafted at #2. If we drafted Doncic, I'd be fine with anything considering there's no quality bigs in that range. However, if we drafted Ayton, we'd definitely need to go SF.

There seems to be an abundance of SGs in this draft, but a shortage of big men. Guys being projected 15-30 are almost exclusively all SG/PGs or SG/SFs.

Not sure if its mentioned elsewhere, so many threads going. I saw on another site that espn has mentioned Denver willing to move the 14th pick if some team is willing to take on Farieds contract.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Not sure if its mentioned elsewhere, so many threads going. I saw on another site that espn has mentioned Denver willing to move the 14th pick if some team is willing to take on Farieds contract.
That would seem to be a no-brainer for us - Faried is only making <$14M for one year. Of course, we'd have to send something back (Nigel Hayes) and at that point we'd actually be hurting for roster space - we would be unable to sign our second round pick if Temple opts in. But still, if that were on the table I think it would have to be a "yes" from us, especially if there's a player that slips that far like Miles Bridges or Gilgeous-Alexander.

It seems like perhaps a steep price to pay for Denver, so I'm not sure if they would offer it, but maybe they've got their eye on putting out big FA money this offseason.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would seem to be a no-brainer for us - Faried is only making <$14M for one year. Of course, we'd have to send something back (Nigel Hayes) and at that point we'd actually be hurting for roster space - we would be unable to sign our second round pick if Temple opts in. But still, if that were on the table I think it would have to be a "yes" from us, especially if there's a player that slips that far like Miles Bridges or Gilgeous-Alexander.

It seems like perhaps a steep price to pay for Denver, so I'm not sure if they would offer it, but maybe they've got their eye on putting out big FA money this offseason.
I'd make that deal in a heartbeat if (in order of preference) Kevin Knox, Miles Bridges, Robert Williams, Mikal Bridges, Zhaire Smith, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander are still on the board at 14.

I thought that Denver deal sounds a bit too good, but maybe they are trying to free up FA money. Faried was a player I liked a lot a few years back, I have not followed him in awhile.
It's pretty clear there are many good options at 14 and it would help make the 2019 no pick a non issue.

Last edited:
Denver might be trying to decline Jokic's option so they can make him a RFA and max him this year without going over the cap. Otherwise they would have to either pick up his option in which case he becomes UFA after the next season, or go over the cap. And Faried has not been in the rotation since Dec. So there might be some actual fire here..

Denver might be trying to decline Jokic's option so they can make him a RFA and max him this year without going over the cap. Otherwise they would have to either pick up his option in which case he becomes UFA after the next season, or go over the cap. And Faried has not been in the rotation since Dec. So there might be some actual fire here..
To add to this, I think they would also like to keep Barton but in order to do that without paying tax, they would need to dump Faried somewhere.

I would be up for this and even discuss buyout with Faried as we don't really need him, especially if we get another big in the draft

Under Contract
PG: Fox / Mason
SG: Bogdanovic / Hield / Shumpert (if he opts in)
SF: Jackson / Temple (if he opts in)
PF: Randolph / Skal
C: Cauley-Stein / Koufos / Giles

First to consider here is who we pick second overall. Most seem to think that DeAndre Ayton is going to go first overall, so let's assume that happens, and that leaves us with a choice of grabbing a power forward like Bagley or Jackson, or a small forward like Luka Doncic. My personal choice is Marvin Bagley, I think he has a ton of potential and could be special, though I also like Luka Doncic as well but I am leaning towards Bagley.

Under Contract (updated)
PG: Fox / Mason
SG: Bogdanovic / Hield / Shumpert (opts in)
SF: Jackson / Temple (opts in)
PF: Bagley / Randolph / Skal
C: Cauley-Stein / Koufos / Giles

Second thing to consider here is what we have to give up in order to receive another draft pick. Looking at the teams in that 15-20 range we have Washington, Milwaukee, San Antonio and Minnesota that made the play offs. Could we tempt them by sending them two veterans from Shumpert, Temple, Z-Bo and Koufos? Throw in our second round pick if we really have to. I would be reluctant at giving up our young talent.

Who would I pick in the 15-20 range?
The main issue in this pick range is typically the majority of selections tend to be guards. Zhaire Smith has tremendous athleticism and is an exciting young talent, he is also an underrated shooter. Khyri Thomas isn't a great athlete but he is a very good shooter. Donte DiVencenzo is another good athlete and comes with a well rounded game. There are other options like Chandler Hutchison who could play small forward, Omari Spellman is a PF/C prospect, and Mitchell Robinson is a C prospect. They could be decent additions depending on what we give up to acquire the second first round pick.

My favorite option in this range is Zhaire Smith. He's an exciting talent and has a lot of upside if he puts everything together.

No Troy Brown. He is the one guy in that range id be willing to bet will amount to nothing...cant shoot, aweful athlete. Thats a bad combination for a wing

If we did do a trade like this, couldnt we just cut Faried or Zbo and eat the salary to make room for the roster spot?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If we did do a trade like this, couldnt we just cut Faried or Zbo and eat the salary to make room for the roster spot?
Yes, as also pointed out by ESP47. It wouldn't be a decision we would have to make right away, we could wait until the end of training camp, really. We would also have an opportunity to make another trade in the meantime to clear roster space.

Another note: we couldn't make a Hayes for Faried+#14 deal until after July 1st - we won't have the salary cap space to do it until then. But if you line it up in advance and have Denver draft for you, that's totally kosher.

You could physically clear a roster spot by doing that but you'd still have the salary on the books. It wouldn't open up $15mil to spend on a new player.
That's true, but if, at that point, we are talking about cutting from 16 down to 15, then we don't have a roster spot to stick a free agent into anyway. That set of moves (Shumpert+Temple both opt in, Hayes for Faried+#14, draft and sign #2/14/36, cut ZBo or Faried) would leave us pretty much near the salary cap, for what it's worth.

Yes, as also pointed out by ESP47. It wouldn't be a decision we would have to make right away, we could wait until the end of training camp, really. We would also have an opportunity to make another trade in the meantime to clear roster space.

Another note: we couldn't make a Hayes for Faried+#14 deal until after July 1st - we won't have the salary cap space to do it until then. But if you line it up in advance and have Denver draft for you, that's totally kosher.

That's true, but if, at that point, we are talking about cutting from 16 down to 15, then we don't have a roster spot to stick a free agent into anyway. That set of moves (Shumpert+Temple both opt in, Hayes for Faried+#14, draft and sign #2/14/36, cut ZBo or Faried) would leave us pretty much near the salary cap, for what it's worth.
Hayes should be kept around. He is a good defender with an offensive game that fits what wr trying to do.

Yeah I would be on board for that. If I was the GM, I'd be making these kinds of moves if they were available. The #14 pick is basically this years free agent signing and you run with the team you've got, knowing full well that you more than likely aren't going to make the playoffs unless some crazy special circumstances happen. The year after, you can assess what you've got and go from there. Koufos, Temple, Faried/Zbo, Shumpert would all be gone and now you have a bunch of money to try and entice a free agent or to use to grab more first round picks.

Keep going until things start looking up. The only thing you have to keep in mind is to keep your cap space free during the years when your young guys are restricted free agents and during the year when you want to make a run, that way you can pick up valuable role players to support the young guys that are now starting to enter their primes.

No Troy Brown. He is the one guy in that range id be willing to bet will amount to nothing...cant shoot, aweful athlete. Thats a bad combination for a wing
For that reason I wouldn't draft him top 10, but anywhere from 15-20? Yes. there's a lack of SFs in this draft too.

He needs to improve on his 3pt shot. I don't think it's broken or anything, so I'm optimistic about it. He's also a very unselfish high IQ playmaker.

The biggest selling point? I believe he's the 2nd youngest in this class behind Jaren Jackson J. If we don't draft Doncic or MPJ, I'd be down for Troy Brown. He has a lot of potential.