Pre-Lottery Mock Draft (combined articles)

N

NBC Sports Chicago

The ties have been sorted out and the pre-Lottery draft order is now set. Here's a look at who might be the first 14 picks off the board in June.1. Phoenix Suns: DeAndre Ayton, C, ArizonaNot quite the hometown kid but Ayton has been under the Suns' eyes

Continue reading...

The explanation for the Kings draft pick cracks me up. Apparently it is lost on the yahoo author that Fox, Jackson, Giles and Mason all came from winning programs.

That said, I do love the selection of Mikal Bridges. But I don’t believe Porter will slide as far as they have him going nor do I believe the Kings would pass on him unless their are some major medical concerns.

It’s clear our best case is our 18.3 % chance of a top 3 pick.

Our likely worse case is our 29.4% chance of dropping to 8 and Carter’s Mom prevailing in him returning to school.

Let’s hope the 47.7% chance of staying at 7 prevails and we take Mikhal Bridges.

Anyone else tired of discussing year after year if X player will fall to us versus discussing the options of whom we will take? It’s a losing proposition betting on 5 or 6 NBA GM’s to be worse talent evaluators then Vlade.

It’s clear our best case is our 18.3 % chance of a top 3 pick.

Our likely worse case is our 29.4% chance of dropping to 8 and Carter’s Mom prevailing in him returning to school.

Let’s hope the 47.7% chance of staying at 7 prevails and we take Mikhal Bridges.

Anyone else tired of discussing year after year if X player will fall to us versus discussing the options of whom we will take? It’s a losing proposition betting on 5 or 6 NBA GM’s to be worse talent evaluators then Vlade.
We still get Mikal Bridges at 8

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Jackson
Young
Bamba
Porter Jr

I believe that Trae Young will go to Orlando. I'm confidant in saying that.......will help us get Mikal Bridges unless he shoots up the draft a few spots.
Orlando would be idiotic to pass up on a PG...but I said the same thing last year. After trading Payton, they have to go PG right? I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up picking someone like Bagley and having Gordon, Isaac, and Bagley all fighting for the same PF position lol.

I don't see anyway how Mikal doesn't fall in our laps. A
fter Ayton/Doncic 1-2, maybe Dallas considers pairing Mikal with DSJ in the back-court, but I highly doubt it. They have glaring needs at PF and C. They'd have their pick of Bagley, Bamba, Jackson, or even Carter. After that, Chicago actually does have a need for a SF.

If Bridges is the target, then you have to be wary of Chicago. I could see them taking SF.

Also, let’s not forget that a lot can and likely will change once these players do their individual workouts. All it takes is one phenomenal performance and that player formerly viewed in the 6-14 range could suddenly be coveted by a team in the top 5.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Orlando would be idiotic to pass up on a PG...but I said the same thing last year. After trading Payton, they have to go PG right? I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up picking someone like Bagley and having Gordon, Isaac, and Bagley all fighting for the same PF position lol.

I don't see anyway how Mikal doesn't fall in our laps. A
fter Ayton/Doncic 1-2, maybe Dallas considers pairing Mikal with DSJ in the back-court, but I highly doubt it. They have glaring needs at PF and C. They'd have their pick of Bagley, Bamba, Jackson, or even Carter. After that, Chicago actually does have a need for a SF.

If Bridges is the target, then you have to be wary of Chicago. I could see them taking SF.
If Bridges is taken before us....it means a guy drops to us. Porter Jr? Bamba? Unless Orlando doesn't take Trae Young. Seems like the key is Orlando taking a PG. is Carter still in the draft? Thought there was talk of him not coming out. If he's in the draft, we are in great shape of getting Mikal, Porter Jr, Carter or Bamba and we could use any of them.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So here's a little thought experiment from my side, just to show what I'm thinking. Obviously my rankings of players don't necessarily jive with anybody else's.

So let me imagine that we get lucky in the lottery, and we hit #3. Then, without being allowed to look at the rest of the draft board, I'm allowed a peek into the future to see who the Kings picked at #3. There are actually 6 players in this draft that I wouldn't immediately start second-guessing as I stand right now (alphabetical):

Ayton
Bagley
Bamba
Doncic
Jackson
Porter

I'm not saying I like these players equally per se, but I'm saying that each of these guys has the potential to be a great player, and (especially given that I've been quite wrong in the past) I'd be willing to give the FO the benefit of the doubt as having pegged any one of these six as BPA at 3. The two Bridges I have a tier down, as well as Young, who is additionally not a great fit for us.

Now, all we need is for one team, any team, to go after Young or, as right now seems possible Mikal Bridges, in the top 6 for one of the players I would be OK with at #3 to fall to #7 (and if both Young and Bridges go top-6, then we have our choice among TWO of those guys). And that's not super far-fetched. That means we have a fairly decent shot of getting a player I feel is #3 quality at #7, assuming we stay there.

If Bridges is taken before us....it means a guy drops to us. Porter Jr? Bamba? Unless Orlando doesn't take Trae Young. Seems like the key is Orlando taking a PG. is Carter still in the draft? Thought there was talk of him not coming out. If he's in the draft, we are in great shape of getting Mikal, Porter Jr, Carter or Bamba and we could use any of them.
Carter has not declared yet.

So here's a little thought experiment from my side, just to show what I'm thinking. Obviously my rankings of players don't necessarily jive with anybody else's.

So let me imagine that we get lucky in the lottery, and we hit #3. Then, without being allowed to look at the rest of the draft board, I'm allowed a peek into the future to see who the Kings picked at #3. There are actually 6 players in this draft that I wouldn't immediately start second-guessing as I stand right now (alphabetical):

Ayton
Bagley
Bamba
Doncic
Jackson
Porter

I'm not saying I like these players equally per se, but I'm saying that each of these guys has the potential to be a great player, and (especially given that I've been quite wrong in the past) I'd be willing to give the FO the benefit of the doubt as having pegged any one of these six as BPA at 3. The two Bridges I have a tier down, as well as Young, who is additionally not a great fit for us.

Now, all we need is for one team, any team, to go after Young or, as right now seems possible Mikal Bridges, in the top 6 for one of the players I would be OK with at #3 to fall to #7 (and if both Young and Bridges go top-6, then we have our choice among TWO of those guys). And that's not super far-fetched. That means we have a fairly decent shot of getting a player I feel is #3 quality at #7, assuming we stay there.
I agree with most of this. I would rather take Bridges however then the 1 guy 6 other GM’s passed on. Also there is a 30% chance we are 8 looking at guards

I agree with most of this. I would rather take Bridges however then the 1 guy 6 other GM’s passed on. Also there is a 30% chance we are 8 looking at guards
there have been a few times I can remember that players fell to us and at the time a lot were happy we got that player only to find out there's a reason they slid. (TRob and Ben). I'm not saying all players that slide will be busts but if we like someone, I don't mind reaching a bit. Just not pappagianias reach though.

Ayton
Bagley
Bamba
Doncic
Jackson
Porter

I can see Young, Bridges or Sexton going 4-8.

I think Youngs skill set is vastly underrated on this board. What he does offensively puts him in the top tier of this draft IMO. Also he plays the least important position to have a defensive stalwart.
Im very confident he will go no lower than orlandos pick

Bamba is also a guy id not be surprised see leap up draft boards after the combine.

This increases our chances of having MPJ or Mikal to pick from. If there was less potential in the picks then MPJ would go higher, but no matter what his medicals say its hard to imagine he will NOT still be considered a medical risk...just too mucheaper uncertainty in medicine. GMs will take plaerys in the same tier without that risk.

I hope we get MPJ because we need mre creators. Championship caliber teams are based on creators. Thats why Yoing will go high. MPJ if healthy can be one of those gigh level guys. If he is not there Mikal and his perimeter defensive ability and competent offensive game would work for me.

Last edited:
I think Youngs skill set is vastly underrated on this board. What he does offensively puts him in the top tier of this draft IMO. Also he plays the least important position to have a defensive stalwart.

Bamba is also a guy id not be surprised see leap up draft boards after the combine.

This increases our chances of having MPJ or Mikal to pick from. If there was less potential in the picks then MPJ would go higher, but no matter what his medicals say its hard to imagine he will NOT still be considered a medical risk...just too mucheaper uncertainty in medicine. GMs will take plaerys in the same tier without that risk.

I hope we get MPJ because we need mre creators. Championship caliber teams are based on creators. Thats why Yoing will go high. MPJ if healthy can be one of those gigh level guys. If he is not there Mikal and his perimeter defensive ability and competent offensive game would work for me.
Ya people will do the 20/20 hindsight on him when he’s tearing it up. I think people focus on Young’s shot so much they don’t realize the kids an elite passer with elite vision. When he’s not getting double at the half court line and has teammates in the league the kid will blow up.

You can’t teach what he has

dude12

Hall of Famer

I don't think the forum is under rating Young's skill set as much as it is questioning the size of him. It's a valid concern to have. I know others his size have blown up such as Curry and Nash but the list is somewhat small. I think it's right to have doubts.

And GM's never send out false signals.
If you look at Chicago's roster, I think they are happy with their PG Kris Dunn and backup Cameron Payne. It's reasonable to assume they are looking at wing or possibly center, which are the same positions we are in need of an upgrade. They are pretty much set at PG (Dunn) and PF (Markarren).

If you look at Chicago's roster, I think they are happy with their PG Kris Dunn and backup Cameron Payne. It's reasonable to assume they are looking at wing or possibly center, which are the same positions we are in need of an upgrade. They are pretty much set at PG (Dunn) and PF (Markarren).
Ans teams that draft on need will keep drafting in the lotto.