Positive Thread anyone

GP has earned my trust.

I am not as worried about our team as some here are.

His formula for success = trade declining star for younger star + draft well + vets / Bench Mob

Mid-to-late 90s = Mitch for C-Webb + (J-Will, Peja) + (Vlade, Jon Barry, Christie)

Early 2000s = J-Will for Bibby + (Hedo, Gerald Wallace) + (B-Jax, Jim Jackson, Brad)

Mid 2000s = Peja for Artest + (Martin, Cisco) + (Corliss, Bonzi, SAR)

Late 2000s = Bibby for ???? + (Hawes, ????) + (Moore, ????, ????)

Probable Future based on GP M.O.

Bibby traded in 3 team deal (AND we will be happy with the trade, eventually)

Hawes will be a productive player and we will have draft pick 10-16 again.
GP drafts well, Peja (14th), Hedo (16th), Wallace (25th), KMart (26th).
(We will again compete for the 8th playoff spot, and I'll be GLAD if we get there!)

We won't be able to add other free agents till we are rid of Miller, KT, SAR contracts
or somehow manage to trade any of them. But our Bench Mob should create a little
excitement this year with Garcia/Quincy/Hawes/Justin/Moore.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Speaking of Bosh, I really enjoyed watching the USA Blue vs. USA White scrimmage today on FoxSports. Bosh looked awesome!!

I can contribute to a positive thread. :D

I can't promise that my posts will in any way involve the Kings... but I can definitely contribute.

dude12

Hall of Famer
GP has earned my trust.

I'll agree with you here. Anyone who bashes Petrie has no clue. I'm sure there's going to be guys who jump all over this but get real. The Kings have drafted late in the 1st round for awhile now. The current level of the team, at this point, is normal and anyone who thinks they should already be rebuilt is unrealistic.

Petrie is the same guy who built the Kings into one of the best franchises for a few years. This franchise was a joke until he transformed it. It's going to take years for the team to get back to where everyone would like. All the Petrie bashers will jump on the bandwagon once it gets turned around.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll agree with you here. Anyone who bashes Petrie has no clue. I'm sure there's going to be guys who jump all over this but get real. The Kings have drafted late in the 1st round for awhile now. The current level of the team, at this point, is normal and anyone who thinks they should already be rebuilt is unrealistic.

Petrie is the same guy who built the Kings into one of the best franchises for a few years. This franchise was a joke until he transformed it. It's going to take years for the team to get back to where everyone would like. All the Petrie bashers will jump on the bandwagon once it gets turned around.
And people wonder why threads turn ugly...

If you want to voice an opinion, feel free to do so. But why in the name of whatever deity (if any) you may choose to worship, is it necessary to throw out the gratuitous comments about Petrie bashers?

This is a message board. People post opinions. Some more strongly than others, but they are all held accountable to the rules of the forum.

Even I, one of the most homer of homers, can punch all kinds of holes in your comments. And if I can do so, I can only imagine what those who aren't looking at everything through permanently-installed purple tinted lens will say.

And people will complain about bashing, etc. when the real problem will go back to posts like this that flaunt the gauntlet in their faces and then act surprised and take umbrage when those who feel accused post their responses.

Here's a hint:

Put back the umbrage. Feel free to post positive comments but do so without having to taunt or poke a stick at those who you think will not be quite as positive.

If you don't, you cannot complain when they respond.

Thanks...
--------------------------------------

Now, from VF21 the Kings fan...

Once, now and always - GO KINGS!!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

the real difficulty is the utter ignorance with which the Petrie subject is normally broached by his worship...er...supporters. I wil mention in brief and in passing that his history ain't all that and a bag of chips. I'll also mention an interesting little factoid -- he's never had a winning season wihtout Rick Adelman. Hell, he's never looked more than marginally competent without Rick Adelman. Makes you wonder who made who.

Now put more strongly than my fellow moderator, comments like yours are NOT allowed in these threads anymore. For the simple reason that so called "positive" threads were becoming nothing more than places for people to share ina brotherhood of taking cowardly pot shots from the shadows secure in the knowledge that any responses would not be considered "positive", and would be eliminated. So if we are going to have another one of these silly beasts, its going to be silly, shallow, and unceasingly kumballah and upbeat. No shots at anyone. Otherwise, then the gloves come off, and so does the "positive" label.

As for "positives" -- to the O.P. it seems your "positives" are not about things that have actually happened, but just blind faith in magic stuff happening in the future. Be nice if it happened. But I prefer to be positive about stuff that has actually already manifested. Like being upbeat about the fact that the earth has not slammed into the sun yet, incinerating us all. Or upbeat about seeing a movie last night where a ridiuclously hot actress decided to take off her clothes. Or upbeat that the drugstore I normally stop into was having a super-duper clearance sale on chocolate when I stopped in there yesterday, and I damn near cleaned them out. As for the Kings, the only thing to be upbeat about is that the summer is not quite over yet, and there's still a month + training camp before we are forced to conclusively conclude we are being piloted by a has been. So yay for more summer/TDOS! yay! :D Hurray! :D Yippeeee!! :D

Last edited:
Or upbeat that the drugstore I normally stop into was having a super-duper clearance sale on chocolate when I stopped in there yesterday, and I damn near cleaned them out.

Did you try that Haagen-Dazs Amazon Valley Chocolate ice cream I told you about yet?

If that stuff's not inspiration for positivity and optimism, I don't know what is.

As for the Kings, the only thing to be upbeat about is that the summer is not quite over yet, and there's still a month + training camp before we are forced to conclusively conclude we are being piloted by a has been. So yay for more summer/TDOS! yay! :D Hurray! :D Yippeeee!! :D
You really know how to lift our spirits :p

Here's the thing about Geoff Petrie. I was once a "In Petrie We Trust" type of Kings fan, as most of us were. I no longer have blind faith in his ability to build a contender, and the reason why is because of the mess our team is in right now. As the President of Basketball Operations, he is accountable for the product on the floor.

However, I think it's reasonable to conclude that this team is not a representation of his ability. Most would agree that there has been a lot of "tampering" by the Maloofs over the past three or four seasons, and it's safe to assume that once Webber went down, they stepped in and said "enough". No more $80 million payrolls, $25 million luxury tax checks, etc. Not only that, but it's pretty obvious that the decision to trade Webber was a Maloof decision, not a Petrie decision. At least, that's been my opinion since the Wednesday night I found out about the trade. And since then, this team has taken a form that is completely different than the groups we had from 2000-03. I am still not convinced that the whole plan for the past three years hasn't been to move the team to Las Vegas, actually.

I will agree with Brick about the result of the 2005-06 season. Rick Adelman definitely got a lot more out of that team than most other coaches would have, with knuckleheads and malcontents, competing against the eventual world champions in the first round of the playoffs. That was not a 44 win team. And Petrie gets no credit for the relative success it had.

But he does get credit for getting Webber here, drafting Jason Williams, trading him for Bibby, drafting Peja, etc. That 2002 team was Geoff's creation, almost entirely. It's not enough for him to get an eternal free pass as a good GM, but it is on his resume. And I don't think the argument can be made that the WCF team would have been nothing without Rick. Maybe we don't get as far as we got; in fact, we probably don't. But kudos to Geoff for putting a team together that Rick could work with and get deep into the playoffs with.

The current state of this team is baffling for me, and I fear one of two things will happen. 1) Petrie gets tired of working for non-committal owners, and leaves, or, 2) he winds up taking the fall for the Kings inability to compete, and the Maloofs fire him. Either way, we wind up at the Maloofs' mercy, and I doubt that even the most ardent Petrie opposer would prefer to have Joe and Gavin and Mama Maloof calling the shots. We'd probably wind up with Whisenant as our GM.

All that having been said, it's put up or shut up time for Geoff Petrie. He has no Rick Adelman, no superstar player, and doesn't have the die-hard support of his fanbase anymore. What happens with this team in the next year or two will make or break his legacy, in my opinion.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Most if not all of us don't really understand the intricacies of being a GM for an NBA team. Nor do we see or understand the complex relationships of situations (salary cap, salary structure, player fit, owner inputs/suggestions, player ability for a given teams "system", player personality, player progress as viewed by GM and coach, etc).

We're fans. We want wins. We want into the playoffs. We are driven by our perceptions and our views far more than the intricate facts we may have. And for each one of us, me included, for any one situation, we have 3 views. And those can change in two swigs of a Pacifico.

Some fans tend to ignore the intricacies of the game and the player within the game and just focus on what that fan thinks he/she sees compounded by what they think, or by their bias.

All this is great!! It's what fans are all about. But don't "bash" one fan whose view contridicts or doesn't agree with yours, neither of you may have a real clue. But agree and disagree all you want. Thats the fun part of this site. Give us some real support for your view. That can create a lot more dialog than just bashing or just not liking someone. Be cool dude. ;)

dude12

Hall of Famer
GP has earned my trust.

His formula for success = trade declining star for younger star + draft well + vets / Bench Mob

Mid-to-late 90s = Mitch for C-Webb + (J-Will, Peja) + (Vlade, Jon Barry, Christie)

Early 2000s = J-Will for Bibby + (Hedo, Gerald Wallace) + (B-Jax, Jim Jackson, Brad)

Mid 2000s = Peja for Artest + (Martin, Cisco) + (Corliss, Bonzi, SAR)

Late 2000s = Bibby for ???? + (Hawes, ????) + (Moore, ????, ????)

Probable Future based on GP M.O.

Bibby traded in 3 team deal (AND we will be happy with the trade, eventually)

Hawes will be a productive player and we will have draft pick 10-16 again.
GP drafts well, Peja (14th), Hedo (16th), Wallace (25th), KMart (26th).
(We will again compete for the 8th playoff spot, and I'll be GLAD if we get there!)

We won't be able to add other free agents till we are rid of Miller, KT, SAR contracts
or somehow manage to trade any of them. But our Bench Mob should create a little
excitement this year with Garcia/Quincy/Hawes/Justin/Moore.
Let me try a different tact then....I agree with what the original post says here.

Or upbeat about seeing a movie last night where a ridiuclously hot actress decided to take off her clothes. Or upbeat that the drugstore I normally stop into was having a super-duper clearance sale on chocolate when I stopped in there yesterday, and I damn near cleaned them out.
what a great night!

a positive to the upcoming season???

no expectations whatsoever, which means the team can go on about business without any pressure, because nobody is gonna expect us to do anything next season....

ohhh yea, justin williams, spencer hawes, quincy douby, and francisco garcia are gonna be great to watch next season!