Points in the Paint

Does anyone know if you are fouled while shooting from inside the paint, do the points from the ensuing FTs count as points in the paint? I noticed the Bulls killed us on points in the paint, but the Kings outscored them by 20 pts from the FT line (I'm sure a large portion of these were fouls on attempted inside shots).

keflanag said:
Does anyone know if you are fouled while shooting from inside the paint, do the points from the ensuing FTs count as points in the paint? I noticed the Bulls killed us on points in the paint, but the Kings outscored them by 20 pts from the FT line (I'm sure a large portion of these were fouls on attempted inside shots).
Actually, it wasn't. Kings got to the line because the Bulls really committed all kinds of silly fouls: some of them in transition, some on shooters, and some were just plain and simple touch fouls that led to them being over the limit most of the game. The Bulls lead the league in fouls commited. But the Kings really did get killed in the paint, on both ends of the floor. Webber did have maybe 3 or 4 hoops in there (he also got rejected in there pretty badly a few times), but that was it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We have nobody who plays above the rim in the normal rotation, and our lone post presence has a bum knee. Points in the paint is going to be a problem for us all year.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
We have nobody who plays above the rim in the normal rotation, and our lone post presence has a bum knee. Points in the paint is going to be a problem for us all year.
That is true but allowing Bulls 52 pts in the paint is a whole different story

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
piksi said:
That is true but allowing Bulls 52 pts in the paint is a whole different story
Yep. And somewhere along the line this season we simply have to find a way to 1) close down the interior (be nice if Tag could help) witha little intimidation; 2) our perimeter guys have to quit allowing penetration so easily; and 3) we just have to get a better team effort on the d-boards. Tough set of goals for us -- we have reached a dangerous level of unathleticism at this point.

We are still the Kings. Can still be a good team if none of the above happens just based on skill and experience. But not a championship team. Championship teams are never soft in the middle. And right now we are a jelly filled doughnut.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Now I'm worried again. Seems they are thinking the best defense is a big offense. Dangerous thinking. To stop Points-in-the-Paint is defensive rotation and Miller and CWebb getting their big bodies in the lane a step sooner.

In the other direction, our own points-in-the-paint, its much the same. No rebounding presence in the middle. Watching the game on Direct TV, every time the kings put up a perimeter shot, all I saw was red Bulls jerseys or dark Nugget jerseys. Every time. What was it 20 offensive rebounds for Bulls and 0 for CWebb, Christi and Peja combined?

Even Peja is relatively invisible on the offensive boards last 2 games. Only offensive banging I see is BJax and Barnes and Songalia. They had 6 of the 9 Off Rebs in the Bulls game. Thats not good. Now I'm worried again. :(

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dude - It's a long season. If you're going to be this mercurial this early, you're not going to have anything left for the home stretch, when things can get really interesting!!!

Don't worry; be happy.

And remember - the Kings tend to play up or down to the level of their competition at times, which is why they can allow huge leads to evaporate. In addition, a contributing factor to our rebound deficit against the Bulls could have been that Miller seems to follow a stellar game, like the one against Denver, with one where he seems to lack focus, intensity, etc.

It's only November. We aren't going to see a team in championship form this early. And, all things considered, I don't want to see them playing their best ball quite yet. I would like to know there's room for improvement and that they're working on the areas they need to work on...

VF21 said:
In addition, a contributing factor to our rebound deficit against the Bulls could have been that Miller seems to follow a stellar game, like the one against Denver, with one where he seems to lack focus, intensity, etc.
And then comes up with another stellar game right after that :D