Podcasts you enjoy

K

KingMilz

Was wondering what Podcasts (I stopped listening to radio and replaced them with Podcasts) the Kingsfans out there enjoy. I find they are a great way when driving or doing something boring to just plug them in and educate yourself and learn something everyday.

For Me

1. Joe Rogan Experience: I'm a big fight sports fan and Joe has a number of MMA fighters/kickboxers among a wide range of guests from everything including Doctors/comedians (has a lot)/documentary makers and people from all walks of life, Joe has no filter and says a lot of controversial/funny stuff (is he a comedian after all).

2. Radio Lab: A great podcast which covers a lot of odd and highly interesting topics, it''s sort of like a audio documentary sort of.

3. Freakaonomics: Really enjoy this one looks at a different angle of a lot of topics and how they relate to economic concepts.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not counting podcasts which are just archived versions of radio shows (Tony Kornheiser, Dan LeBatard, The Right Time), I regularly listen to:

1. The Evening Jones: Bomani Jones' personal podcast, although he hasn't had as much opportunity to do the pod, since he got "promoted" to the drive-time show on ESPN. Non-sports discussion, usually leads off with a brief topics, before answering listener questions.
  2. The Black Guy Who Tips: Hosted by Rod Morrow, and his wife, Karen. I'm not really familiar with Rod's background, other than the fact that he used to be a regular video caller on The Evening Jones. At some point, Bomani started pimping a podcast that Rod was doing and, after a while, I decided to listen to it, and see what it was about. I like it, a lot. Covers a wide range of topics, particularly news that is relevant to traditionally marginalized groups (minorities, women, LGBT, etc.). I could do without their Walking Dead reviews, and the Baller Alert segments, but nobody's perfect.
  3. Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men: Another podcast hosted by a husband and wife duo, Rachel Edidin and Miles Stokes. Exactly what it says on the tin.
  4. His and Hers, with Michael Smith and Jemele Hill: Podcast devoted to discussion of topics that they either can't discuss on their TV show, or want to go into in further depth. Usually vaguely sports related, but often delves into other stuff.
  5. Dishin' and Swishin': Excellent podcast for discussion of WNBA and women's college basketball. Hosted by independent women's basketball writer David Siegel.
  6. The Art of Wrestling, with Colt Cabana: It is, in the host's own words, "A professional wrestling podcast, a life podcast, a personal journal, an entryway into the minds, the souls, the hearts and the lives of the people involved in professional wrestling." He spends most weeks interviewing people he's met in his career as a professional wrestler, mostly other indie wrestlers, but the occasional big name gets interviewed, as well. Very little emphasis on "current events" in professional wrestling.
  7. Cheap Heat: Another professional wrestling podcast, hosted by Peter Rosenberg, host at New York City's infamous Hot 97 FM, and David Shoemaker, author of the book The Squared Circle: Life, Death and Professional Wrestling. Heavily WWE-centric, with occasional forays into TNA. Very little indie talk.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Maybe one of you guys can help pay it forward: what's a good sports podcast for somebody who likes sports, but hates football, and also doesn't really take sports seriously? Indeed, preferably someone who openly mocks Hardcore Sports Guy. Like, if you like Mike and Mike, or Mike Francesa, or Grant Napear... I'm looking for, like, the opposite of that.

I can live with somebody who talks about football, but if they talk about sports like it's SERIOUS BUSINESS~!, that's a deal-breaker. To give you a reference point, my favorite sports media personalities are Bomani Jones, Tony Kornheiser, David Jacoby, Michael Smith, Jemele Hill and Dan LeBatard.

K

KingMilz

Doesn't Bill Simmons do one (I know a lot of people on here hate him)..although he does talk about NFL.......maybe not

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Simmons' podcast is maybe a little too "hardcore" for my tastes. I mean, he branches out to other subjects, and that's cool, but when he is talking about sports, he takes it just a little too seriously.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I regularly listen to Jalen and Jacoby. I didn't put them on my list because, since they now have a nightly radio show, I didn't count them as a podcast.

I'm a movie buff and regular film-goer, so I regularly listen to "Filmspotting", "You Must Remember This", "FilmWeek with Larry Mantrel". For sports I listen to Bill Simmons podcast, and for business I listen to Stanford's Entrepreneurship Corner. If there is a good cooking one, I'll be on that one too.