PlayStation Football 2004

We had a thread going on this before the old board got wiped away. Looking for some feedback on the best NFL Football Game to purchase for PlayStation 2. My son and i are ready to start OUR season. Heard that Madden was good, then heard ESPN's game was better. Any feedback?

Franchise mode is specific gametype in Madden that allows you to play the actual schedule of the team you have selected.

Anyone have Madden '05 for PC?

I'm not close to being impressed with ESPN Football. A lot of people like it, but I don't. It might be because I'm used to Madden, and might just need to get used to it.

I'd say it's like switching from PC to Mac: one has it's advantages over the other, but it's arguable which is better. And if/when you switch, you'd have to give yourself time to get acclimated to it.

I'd recommend Madden, but I play on XBOX. Maybe you should rent both and find out for yourself.

Can't vouch for either one, but the ESPN '05 games sell for $20 retail, whereas Madden sells for $50. So you might want to consider whether or not the quality of Madden merits spending an extra $30 if that's an issue to you.

Been some great feedback that i find very helpful. Thanks to all for offering some insight that can help shape decisions. Will continue to watch this thread for any further input...

A follow up-- I don't know about the No Cal stores, but the So Cal Fry's stores are selling the ESPN version for $14 until Tuesday the 21st. Hell, I haven't bought any sports games since Madden '94, but that's an offer that I'll probably take advantage of.

Last edited:
Superman said:
I'm not close to being impressed with ESPN Football. A lot of people like it, but I don't. It might be because I'm used to Madden, and might just need to get used to it.

I'd say it's like switching from PC to Mac: one has it's advantages over the other, but it's arguable which is better. And if/when you switch, you'd have to give yourself time to get acclimated to it.

I'd recommend Madden, but I play on XBOX. Maybe you should rent both and find out for yourself.
Interesting, I jumped right into ESPN with no problems. Xbox here too. Only problem I have trouble with is instead of a turbo button being held (in Madden) you tap it (in ESPN). Otherwise pretty similar.