[PLAYOFFS] Eastern Conference Finals

Who goes on to face the "best of the west"?

• Cavaliers in 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cavaliers in 7

• Celtics in 4

• Celtics in 5

• Celtics in 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The fabled Boston Celtics? Another trip to the dance for the GOAT? Who do you think will survive to face the "best of the west"?

• Game 1 in Boston: Sunday, May 13, 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC
  • Game 2 in Boston: Monday May 15, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
  • Game 3 in Cleveland: Saturday May 19, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
  • Game 4 in Cleveland: Monday May 21, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
  • Game 5 in Boston: Wednesday May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN (if necessary)
  • Game 6 in Cleveland: Friday May 25, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN (if necessary)
  • Game 7 in Boston: Sunday May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN (if necessary)

Last edited:
I think Cavs in 6. Lebron is playing at Mount Olympus levels. He might as well be in a different realm of existence right now. Stevens has all kinds of little tricks and maneuvers up his sleeve, but I don't think there's even a viable containment strategy for what Lebron is doing on the court in these playoffs at age 33. And if he keeps getting meaningful help from Kevin Love, then I don't think Boston's kiddies are going to be able to crest this particular wave.

On a sidenote, Zach Lowe actually just ran a great piece about the "game within the game" that Kevin Love and Kyle Korver are playing for the Cavs. I've never been the biggest fan of Lowe's takes, but in the last couple of years, I've gotta hand it to the guy, he's become so excellent at breaking down the minutiae of NBA basketball:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...r-kevin-love-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-playoffs

The Kings team and anyone else that cares about the NBA needs to watch game 1 in Boston against Cleveland. With Irving and Haywood in street clothes the Celtics demolished the Cavaliers with defense. That's right defense. The Celtics are the poster child for smart basketball. Stephens is a great coach.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Defense always works, it's just not flashy. Foul trouble crippled the Celtics for the ONE game Philly won. That always works too.
maybe these Celtics are following in the early to mid 2000 Pistons teams...no superstar but a lot of quality and depth, good coaching. Obviously the Celtics have Irving who is elite when healthy but I'm strictly talking about this seasons C's

I really wonder if the Celtics would be better off as is, without Irving and Hayward. Ego's lose championships as often as they win them.

As for the 2004 Pistons, I would give a lot for a Ben Wallace on the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What the heck? What happened to Lebron? I looked up and they showed him walking to the locker room... Did Boston do something to take him out?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am honestly surprised at what I'm seeing... I really didn't think the Celtics could bring it like this.

LeBron suffered a neck injury when he collided with Tatum's shoulder under the basket.
The Celtics are showing their relentless defense, but they are also showing great speed and physicality in their play. They are hard-nosed old school team. They shoot the three, but have a strong inside game, slashers and plenty of mid-range offense. Horford played an absolutely brilliant complete game. Smart, Rozier, and Brown were spectacular. Tatum plays like he has been in the league several years. They got good minutes from Baines and even Monroe, playing the physical style.

I have been a serious Celtics fan since the 1960s. Red Auerbach used to come to our basketball camp at DeMatha High School in DC.
Watching the Cs play now, is a display of everything that is good about the game. When Smart challenged JR Smith for pushing Horford when he was in the air, Smart was doing the right thing. Very inspirational night in Boston. 2-0

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
LeBron suffered a neck injury when he collided with Tatum's shoulder under the basket.
The Celtics are showing their relentless defense, but they are also showing great speed and physicality in their play. They are hard-nosed old school team. They shoot the three, but have a strong inside game, slashers and plenty of mid-range offense. Horford played an absolutely brilliant complete game. Smart, Rozier, and Brown were spectacular. Tatum plays like he has been in the league several years. They got good minutes from Baines and even Monroe, playing the physical style.

I have been a serious Celtics fan since the 1960s. Red Auerbach used to come to our basketball camp at DeMatha High School in DC.
Watching the Cs play now, is a display of everything that is good about the game. When Smart challenged JR Smith for pushing Horford when he was in the air, Smart was doing the right thing. Very inspirational night in Boston. 2-0

To me it looked like Bron tweaked a knee, at least on the replay

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay...game 3 looking a lot more (at least so far) like what I expected to see. Guess this is gonna boil down to which team can steal home court advantage.

The Cavs responded to home cookin and having their backs to the wall. The Celtics just went through the motions. It is amazing that pro athletes at this level with a lot of experience, can win one night convincingly and then get blown out the next game. Basketball is a game of emotions, and they seem to be on full display. Game 4 is going to be really interesting.