Playoff predictions, West Coast

Who do you think will make it? No need to do seeding, i think you'd have to be a lot better than Nostradamus to predict that.

For the west coast, the shoo-ins in my book are San Antonio, Sactown, Minnesota. Dallas should have a better than average shot, Denver, Houston and maybe Memphis have pretty good chances too. That leaves the Lakers, Phoenix, Jazz, Portland and Sonics scrambling for the last spot.

The East coast is wide open too; after Detroit, Indiana and Miami, everyone else has probably as good a chance as the other. Cleveland has a bit of an edge probably, but I couldn't predict anyone else...

Jerry Buss is a great owner, and I don't see him letting his team miss the playoffs. Count the Lakers is, barring an extreme injury to Mr. Bryant.

San Antonio is the favorite for the top spot in the West. Minnesota (health withstanding) is probably right behind them.

Three through five gets interesting, with the Kings, the Lakers, the Mavs (who knows how they'll look at the end of training camp, much less the end of the season) the Rockets, the Nuggets, the Suns and the Jazz all having a shot at those spots, depending on how they pan out.

Memphis (sad to say), Portland and Seattle are all on the bubble. Potential to be 50 win teams if they stay healthy and build on last year's success/offseason moves, but the West is even tougher this season than it was last.

The Clippers and the Warriors might as well dial it in. Doormats of the Western conference, if you ask me.

LjuboDaMan said:
1 san antonio
2 sacramento
3 minnesota

4 houston
5 lakers ???
6 denver
7 dallas
8 phoenix, grizzlies, jazz, blazers
i pretty much agree, with the exception that San Antonio always is a slow starting team, so 1-3 is a toss up

1)Kings
2)Spurs
3)Wolves
4)Mavs
5)Lakers
6)Rockets
7)Grizzlies
8)Nuggets

No homerism or wishful thinking involved. The Kings (healthy) are going to be the team to reckon with. We have the best players (at most positions), chemistry and this year more toughness and attitude. The West better bring their best.

Last edited:
Definitely don't forget about the Hornets. Their outlook doesn't look too great right now, especially with my man Baron asking for a trade. If they can calm him down and pick up a solid shooter, they are a sure threat for at least a playoff spot.

I don't think the Hornets have what it takes to make the playoffs in the West. They may prove me wrong, but I doubt it. I'll put them on the bubble with Memphis and Portland, maybe a step ahead of Seattle. But I'm not counting on seeing the Hornets in the postseason.

Superman said:
I don't think the Hornets have what it takes to make the playoffs in the West. They may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
So much with the Hornets depends on Mashburn's health, and that's extemely iffy, from what I've read. And now Baron Davis is making noise about wanting a trade. I think the Hornets are in for a long year.

1) Spurs
2) TWolves
3) Kings
4) Nuggets
5) Rockets
6) Mavs
7) Lakers
8) Griz

I wanted really badly to leave the Lakers off the list, but they're like cockroaches -- can't kill 'em. Utah could finish anywhere from 5th through 9th. Probably have the Nuggets too high, but they have an impressive collection of forwards and centers. Blazers, Suns & Hornets could sneak in to one of the bottom spots. Barring significant moves, I see no hope for the Ws, Clips or Sonics.

1. Spurs
2. TWolves
3. Kings
4. Grizzlies
5. Mavs
6. Lakers
7. Nuggets
8. Rockets

Denver will have to prove that they can win consistently on the road. Houston didn't upgrade that much if at all. Mavs and Lakers are iffy. They could land anywhere from 3-6.

thedofd said:
So much with the Hornets depends on Mashburn's health, and that's extemely iffy, from what I've read. And now Baron Davis is making noise about wanting a trade. I think the Hornets are in for a long year.

1) Spurs
2) TWolves
3) Kings
4) Nuggets
5) Rockets
6) Mavs
7) Lakers
8) Griz

I wanted really badly to leave the Lakers off the list, but they're like cockroaches -- can't kill 'em. Utah could finish anywhere from 5th through 9th. Probably have the Nuggets too high, but they have an impressive collection of forwards and centers. Blazers, Suns & Hornets could sneak in to one of the bottom spots. Barring significant moves, I see no hope for the Ws, Clips or Sonics.
The Nuggets have the deepest frontcourt in the League, I think. 3-5, they have the potential to be spectacular, and I don't really like Carmelo that much. Four might be too high, but only because they have to prove that they can win on the road.

Utah is impressive and will be tough, just like any other Jerry Sloan coached team. Boozer, Okur and Kirilenko is one of the most formidable front lines in the West, plus Matt Harpring off the bench? Four tough meetings for us, I'd say.

The Suns could be the sleeper or the big disappointment. They have enough talent to break the top three, but enough potential for disaster to miss the postseason altogether. Nash has to stay healthy and so do Marion and Stoudemire. I don't think they're built for the playoffs, though, home court or not.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
1. T-Wolves -(props for last season although I doubt they will be that good again)
2. Kings -Lots of questions and adjusments but a healthy Kings team shoud be scary
3. Spurs -As long as Duncan breaths this team is deadly, Gnobli and Parker will be even better

4. Houston... hasa stacked deck
5. Denver... rebuilding is over
6. Dallas... not the same team but still powerfull
7. Lakers... Yup cockroaches!
8. Jazz or Grizz just depends on who wants it the most.

Last edited:
Superman said:
The Nuggets have the deepest frontcourt in the League, I think. 3-5, they have the potential to be spectacular, and I don't really like Carmelo that much. Four might be too high, but only because they have to prove that they can win on the road.
:D !

HndsmCelt said:
8. Jazz or Grizz just depends on who wants it the most.
I'm seeing Memphis ranked too low on a lot of lists. They will hover at the 50 win range as long as Hubie Brown's at the helm and they stay injury free.

I see Utah as a mediocre team, even with Boozer, especially out West. Last year, Utah was never went more than 4 games above or below .500. They just tread water. I don't see them being able to have a spurt big enough to push a team out of the 8th spot.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
I'm seeing Memphis ranked too low on a lot of lists. They will hover at the 50 win range as long as Hubie Brown's at the helm and they stay injury free.

I see Utah as a mediocre team, even with Boozer, especially out West. Last year, Utah was never went more than 4 games above or below .500. They just tread water. I don't see them being able to have a spurt big enough to push a team out of the 8th spot.
You could be right Gargy, both these teams have potential, great coaching and mixed bags of palyers I can easily see Meemphis tearing up the NBA but then again I can also see this years Jazz doing the same... in short it is too early for me to tell.

I would like to agree with your Gargs, but I think that Boozer and Okur will thrive under Sloans system. I think he can make them into a pretty good team.

I'm going to be the first to say I won't be suprised if the Mavs don't make it into the playoffs this year at all.

And when that happens its going to be a beautiful thing.

bdouble013 said:
I would like to agree with your Gargs, but I think that Boozer and Okur will thrive under Sloans system. I think he can make them into a pretty good team.

I'm going to be the first to say I won't be suprised if the Mavs don't make it into the playoffs this year at all.

We should have a better idea of whether or not they'll make it after the first 10 games or so; I think they'd be able to make it based on what I know now...ditto for the Jazz.

I don't think the Grizzlies were a FLUKE, but I am not sure if another 50-win season is in the cards, people are seeing them come now...

Last edited:
Gargamel said:
The West is tougher this season, and they're in the toughest division in the League. I'm not sure if they'll be a 50 win team this season. But I'll tell you what: if they win their opener, they'll be off to a better start than they've ever had. I like Memphis and Hubie Brown, but I'm going to reserve judgment for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 4th or 5th, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop to 8th or 9th either.

They won 44 games in the toughest division in the League last season, and they got better. I'd pencil them in for at least 44 again, maybe closer to 50. You think seven teams in the West are going to have more than 50 wins?

But the same principle applies for Utah as it does for Memphis: they are in the toughest division, they're young, and they have to get off to a good start. Again, anywhere in the 5-9 range wouldn't be surprising.

The West is so tough.

HndsmCelt said:
You could be right Gargy, both these teams have potential, great coaching and mixed bags of palyers I can easily see Meemphis tearing up the NBA but then again I can also see this years Jazz doing the same... in short it is too early for me to tell.
Yeah. Truth be told, it's hard to find some knock against the teams that should battle for the 8th seed. You've got SA, Sac, Min, Dal, LAL, Hou, Phx, Uta, Mem, and Den. The trick is picking 2 who won't make it. Since Phx and Utah didn't last year, I consider that a strike against them until they prove otherwise.

I'm higher on Memphis than Utah because of their roster (Williams, Wells, Posey, Miller, Gasol, Battier, Watson, Wright, Outlaw). I think Utah's roster is more workman in comparison. Harpring missed 50 games last year so maybe they're closer to Memphis than I gave them credit for, but I'll stick to my guns on this one.

bdouble013 said:

Dallas is another issue. Sometimes they've blended in a lot of talented players, sometimes they haven't. What's it gonna be this year? Will Terry be able to fill Nash's shoes? Will Dampier find motivation from within? If so, they could finish with a nice record because they tend to do well against the crappy teams (which are plentiful in this league).