Places to take the family to eat in the Northwest?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Hey all-

My family will be heading northwest for a visit to relatives in the Seattle area next week. We will spend part of a day in Portland and a couple days each in the Olympia and Kirkland/Seattle areas.

Wondering about some family-friendly dining establishments a tourist should know about. We have already printed the list of places from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but were wondering if any locals can share a few of their favorites that might not be on our radar. I am typically up for most anything, but my wife and son are definitely more geared to American, Italian/pizza, Mexican, etc. My wife has a hard time with spicy food, so they need to have at least one or two menu options that can accomodate a mild palate if they lean towards a spicier menu.

Thanks for chiming in!

Warhawk

Staff member
Be sure to have everybody wear their Kings gear. :p
I was wondering who would say that first.

My cousin up there is a big sports fan but he said that lots of Seattle fans didn't want to steal the Kings, they really want an expansion team if Sacramento was fighting to keep the team and was not willing to just let it go.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well Portland is making quite a name for itself in the foodie scene these days but if you're only going to be spending a few hours here you might just try sampling the street cart scene downtown. You'll find something for everyone, higher quality food than you might expect and no silly restaurant rules. Weather is great right now for outdoor dining (a bit hot but not to Sacramentans).

Warhawk

Staff member
Well Portland is making quite a name for itself in the foodie scene these days but if you're only going to be spending a few hours here you might just try sampling the street cart scene downtown. You'll find something for everyone, higher quality food than you might expect and no silly restaurant rules. Weather is great right now for outdoor dining (a bit hot but not to Sacramentans).
We will likely be there for lunch on Sunday (a week from today), if that helps.

Thanks!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'll ask around.

Sunday is brunch day in Portland. If that's a consideration. All very family friendly.