Peja should really learn from Dirk

Steve Nash's departure ranks as the biggest free-agent defection in Mavericks history. Erick Dampier's subsequent arrival, via sign-and-trade, will be recorded as the first time in the quarter-century existence of the franchise that a marquee free agent has chosen to come to Dallas.

[font=verdana, arial, geneva]Dirk Nowitzki may have a tougher time adjusting off the court now that sidekick Steve Nash is in Phoenix.[/font]What does it all mean?

For the conventional among us, reading between the bookends of the latest roller-coaster summer for the Cubanistas leads to a fairly straight-forward synopsis: Nash was essentially traded for Dampier.

Don Nelson, being Don Nelson, adds up the two transactions and pumps out two unexpected conclusions, both involving Dirk Nowitzki.

No. 1: "He'll have his best year ever as far as I'm concerned. He'll be an All-Star four for us."

No. 2: "He should be real happy with this."

Real happy is a tad strong, since Nash is the German's best friend, but Nowitzki says he has never been more ready to try to make his coach look smart, at least with that first proclamation. The 26-year-old is scheduled to return to the States on Thursday in what appears to be the best shape of his career, having spent an off-season of seclusion in Germany that consisted of daily lunchtime workouts with longtime mentor Holger Geschwindner and evenings on the elliptical machine on his pool deck, with only the consumption of hearty meals prepared by his mother to break things up.

"I feel great," Nowitzki said from his Bavarian hideaway, as he packed his luggage for his flight back to Dallas. "I think I'll be a little more athletic than I was the last couple years."

Not that Nowitzki should expect many queries about his athleticism at the Mavericks' first media session of the season Monday. Folks around town are still waiting to hear what Nowitzki thinks about Nash's exit, and how he'll answers questions like: Can you be the same player without your trusty pick-and-roll partner?

"We'll really see this season," Nowitzki said. "But I think I can score on people. Of course Steve always looked for me. He made a lot of stuff easier for me. But I think I'm old enough now to know how to get my own shots and create my own stuff. I think I'll still be all right."

In private, Nowitzki isn't nearly that modest. He prefers to leave the public proclamations about All-Star Games and big numbers to Nelson, but Nowitzki and those close to him are confident that the only place he'll be at all lost without Nash is away from the court. It was Nash, after all, who helped raise Nowitzki from boy to man in this country, dragging him out to meet people in every city on the road, teaching him how to tip at restaurants and keeping him upbeat through the shared nightmare of their dismal debut season in 1999. Day-to-day life without Nash around will be totally different.

On the court, though? As good as they were together, it's quite a slap to say Dirk won't be The Diggler without his little Canadian buddy. You'll recall that as recently as August, playing with 11 relative no-names for his country -- and facing a geeked-up American squad that had just been humbled by Italy -- Nowitzki rumbled for 32 Nash-less points ... including a late 3-pointer that would have forced overtime if not for Allen Iverson's retaliatory heave from halfcourt that dropped through at the buzzer.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I was thinking that we were going to finish our careers together in Dallas. That's what we've been talking about for years. But I was like: 'Hey, you're 30 years old, and this is an unbelievable deal that Phoenix is giving you. You have to do it. I'm proud of you.'[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font][font=Times,serif][/font][font=Times,serif]Dirk Nowitzki,
on ex-teammate Steve Nash[/font]

Nelson didn't toss out that prediction about Nowitzki's best-ever production just to be glib, as in '99 when he announced that he considered his shy 7-footer the league's Rookie of the Year favorite. The coach reasons that the addition of Dampier -- and, just as crucially, the clearout of Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker -- will enable Nowitzki to play copious amounts of his best position (power forward) instead of swinging between the three, four and five. Nellie also points out that, with the re-tooled Mavs, Nowitzki is once again the clear-cut No. 1 option, and that Nash replacement Jason Terry isn't bad pushing the ball or picking-and-rolling.

"I see it the same way as Nellie," Nowitzki said. "I like playing the four. I think it's my most productive position. I can take the big guys off the dribble, and I don't have to guard the centers. I'm usually OK (guarding) power forwards.

"We're going to have a good team if we come together early and find a rhythm," Nowitzki continued, noting that the Mavericks can also expect offense from Michael Finley and new sixth man Jerry Stackhouse. "I think we're really going to be a nice team."

The outlook, of course, wasn't so sunny in early July, when Nash committed to the Suns less than 24 hours into the free agency season. Nowitzki's initial shock and anger, according to team sources, made him reluctant to speak with anyone from the organization. "I was kind of wondering what direction we were going in," he admits now.

The disappointment swelled when Shaquille O'Neal, the Mavs' fantasy trade target, wound up in Miami. It looked as though this would be the 24th straight swing-and-miss summer for the club until owner Mark Cuban and personnel chief Donnie Nelson, after flirting with a Jason Kidd trade, swung deals for Terry and then Dampier.

"Finally we've got a center," Nowitzki said.

It's not as good as playing with a legitimate post presence and an All-Star point guard who's also your best mate, but Nowitzki is eager to try it out. Because if Dampier can do in Dallas what he did in Golden State last season -- let's face it, far bigger questions hang over Damp than Dirk -- Nowitzki figures to profit as much as anyone.

It's also instructive to learn that Nowitzki -- the first person Nash called to tell about a Phoenix offer that was $30 million richer than Cuban's -- was also the first person to tell Nash he couldn't refuse it, as badly as he wanted him to stay.

"I was thinking that we were going to finish our careers together in Dallas," Nowitzki said. "That's what we've been talking about for years.

"But I was like: 'Hey, you're 30 years old, and this is an unbelievable deal that Phoenix is giving you. You have to do it. I'm proud of you.' "

The bet here, like Nellie asserts, is that Nash will be the proud one after Nowitzki's first season on his own. The post-Nash Mavs still don't look like a team that should be picked higher than fourth in the West -- they look like a 4-5-6 seed, at best, after so many changes and plenty of fresh uncertainty -- but The Diggler? He's the last Mav to fret about.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

I wish peja was more like Dirk. Suck it up and move on when your best buds pick another team.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I get your point but this is a different situation. In Dallas Dirk is the man and is still the man. (That being half their problem) Peja is not the man in Sac, and will not be with Webber in good form. So he looses his best bud, and the team leader makes clear he want to change the teams tone to be tough, a style of play Peja has never demonstrated. On top ot that cryptic remarks in the press from the team leader can be interpeted that he (Peja) is not doing his best. Finaly after the best regular season in his career where MVP talk buzzed, his post season was sad.

Now before people break out the torches and farm implements, I was on record (BC) several times remarking how Pejas play in the play offs was actualy remarkably good in terms of defense, rebounding and movement away from the ball. Unfortuanatly when people keep refering to you as the best pure shooter in the NBA, the only stat that seems to matter is points.

Personaly I want to see Peja suck it up and work on his low post game... ok develop a low post game. If I were Adelman I'd have left him in a one room apartment in Venice Beach with $50 for the summer told him that if he wanted to eat to hit the courts and paly some one one or two on two. A few weeks of streetball for food might be jsut what Peja needs to learn how to play like he is 6'10"!

Just imagine a new and improved Peja taking defendersto the hole with spin moves and jump hooks, dunking on the fast break and making cuts to the basket! It's not like our center can't pass or our other palyers can't find him... If Peja could add that kind of paly to his game next year people will say Criss who? and during contract negotiations Peja can pull a Kobe and demand Weber go as part of the deal.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here, IMHO, is the main difference between Dirk and Peja:

Dirk said:
But I think I'm old enough now to know how to get my own shots and create my own stuff.
I am so past tired of all the drama with this stuff. Peja can suck it up and play, IMHO, or he can whine and snivel and fold like a cheap suit.

It's all up to him.

Peja pull a Kobe? Only if he grows a set the size of Rhode Island.

thats a stupid statement. he's a 7' center who is one of the best shooters in the NBA, maybe second to Pedja, but dirk CAN make his own shot. he's athletic, can rebound, take his man down low or drain a 3 in his face. you can't defend him because he can do so many things. if dirk is one of the more overrated players in the NBA then god knows what pedja is.

VF21 said:
I would drive Peja to Dallas myself if we could convince Cuban to trade him for Dirk...
Well they couldn't convince Cuban to trad Dirk(and some others) for O'Neal, so Peja is a really remote possibility. :D

VF21 said:
I would drive Peja to Dallas myself if we could convince Cuban to trade him for Dirk...
I'm not so sure I would make that trade. Peja is definately the better shooter of the 2 and actually plays defense. Don't get me wrong, Dirk is an unbelievable player and creates a ton of matchup problems and is a decent rebounder for his size, but I think that Dirk has hit his peak already, whereas Peja just keeps improving. Peja also has better court sense, and is a better passer that Dirk, although not by much. Peja is also in constant motion whereas Dirk seems to play more stagnant ball. Unfortunately, the one thing that they both lack is leadership and killer instinct. I would pick Peja over Dirk, simply because of the upside to their games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
bibbyweb said:
Well they couldn't convince Cuban to trad Dirk(and some others) for O'Neal, so Peja is a really remote possibility. :D
Not really. Think about it...

Mark Cuban positively loves shooters.

:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KingKong said:
I'm not so sure I would make that trade. Peja is definately the better shooter of the 2 and actually plays defense. Don't get me wrong, Dirk is an unbelievable player and creates a ton of matchup problems and is a decent rebounder for his size, but I think that Dirk has hit his peak already, whereas Peja just keeps improving. Peja also has better court sense, and is a better passer that Dirk, although not by much. Peja is also in constant motion whereas Dirk seems to play more stagnant ball. Unfortunately, the one thing that they both lack is leadership and killer instinct. I would pick Peja over Dirk, simply because of the upside to their games.
Dirk can create his own shot...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Peja has NOT significantly improved in the last 4 years. That is a myth. He's added some versatility to his offensive game. That's pretty much it. Its been incremental. One of the problems with him, and why everybody is hoping for something different ths time around.

Not sure Dirk is improving dramatically either. But he is a uniquely impossible matchup for anybody except for Peja himself. Bigger, better rebounder, can creatre his own offense and therefore has no Bowens or Hassels out there who just own him. Take him in a heartbeat. But he is THE career Mav. Don't think they'd trade him for anyone frankly.

Grobar said:
thats a stupid statement. he's a 7' center who is one of the best shooters in the NBA, maybe second to Pedja, but dirk CAN make his own shot. he's athletic, can rebound, take his man down low or drain a 3 in his face. you can't defend him because he can do so many things. if dirk is one of the more overrated players in the NBA then god knows what pedja is.
Since when has Dirk played center???

He would foul out in about 10 minutes if he had to guard NBA centers. He has NO back to the basket game(much like Peja). He's a good athlete for his size but he cannot play down low as you claim and is a horrid defender.

However, he is a great shooter and I would venture to say he is a better shooter than Peja because he is a pretty clutch player when it comes to making big shots.....unlike Peja.

Maybe it's just me but everytime he goes up against Peja and tries to "create his own shot" he does his ridiculous fall-away jumper that misses badly.

Dirk's also younger than Peja, so I wouldn't say he's peaked yet. If anything, he's probably done more developing than Peja.

Ryle said:
Since when has Dirk played center???

He would foul out in about 10 minutes if he had to guard NBA centers. He has NO back to the basket game(much like Peja). He's a good athlete for his size but he cannot play down low as you claim and is a horrid defender.

However, he is a great shooter and I would venture to say he is a better shooter than Peja because he is a pretty clutch player when it comes to making big shots.....unlike Peja.

Maybe it's just me but everytime he goes up against Peja and tries to "create his own shot" he does his ridiculous fall-away jumper that misses badly.
when dallas plays small ball dirk is usually around the paint. when i say "center" i don't mean in the boxscore his name comes up under center. i mean that dirk can play down low and pedja can't. also, i'll take a guy who is a slightly worse shooter (in my mind, its debatable, pedja is a PURE shooter) but does other things better then just a guy who can shoot. in all honesty in a game winning situation i would give dirk the ball 10 times out of 10. this is coming from a serbian who has met pedja, drank with him and laughed with him when he came to chicago. i love the guy to death, but i would trade him for dirk in a second. dirk is the better player.

ditto here. you gotta take this with a pinch of salt. im trying to compare them two, not dirk to shaq. you will never see dirk match it up for a game against a true center, i just think that he can do more things, and do them more effectively then pedja, while still shooting at a very good percentage, the only thing pedja is really known for doing other then FTs. (at which dirk is no slouch either)

Dirk is definitely the better player when compared to Peja. He rebounds better and can create his own shots, which is a huge plus. Peja fits our system really well, though. Now only if he wouldn't let guys like Bowen and Hassol punk him.

As of right now, you can probably put Dirk on any team and he'd be successful. With Peja, you'd need the right system for him to be effective. I still have hope that Peja will develop his ball handling and foot work enough that he will feel comfortable creating for himself. He amazes me with some of those shots outside three-point range while being draped by a defender. I know he can do that consistently if he put his mind to it.

Not much wrong with Pedja's current game. He's still among the top 15 players in the league in most of the polls and #4 is below him in all of them. I think it's #4 who should learn from Dirk, considering they do play the same position.

sloter said:
Not much wrong with Pedja's current game. He's still among the top 15 players in the league in most of the polls and #4 is below him in all of them. I think it's #4 who should learn from Dirk, considering they do play the same position.
Peja has stunk when it has matter most, Dirk has come through in the clutch.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sloter said:
Dirk is basically a blown up Peja with larger cahones.

#4 is an entirely different type of player more akin to a Garnett than a pure scorer focused solely on his own shot. And as we both know, he is ranked below those two largely due to his injury.

Pedja played unconscious in game 3 vs. Wolves. That proved to be the KEY game of the season and him and Bibby were the only two Kings to do anything in the 4th and overtime. So don't say that Pedja never came through. It is a fact that his numbers are not as good in the playoffs as in the regular season, but he was pretty much the only player in focus of opponent's defense.
I can't believe all the praises for Chrisie and such for their performance in the playoffs when their shots were wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open partly thanks to the fact that seven guys are covering Pedja.

P.S. does anyone have any of those videos towards the end of regulation of Game 3 ? Those were the best moments of Kings basketball since that Bibby shot vs. Lakers.

sloter said:
Its really difficult to believe that people are ready to completely forget abt an injury that seriously undermines Webber's game.
Any other season Webber would be better or atleast as good as Dirk.

sloter said:
... So don't say that Pedja never came through. It is a fact that his numbers are not as good in the playoffs as in the regular season, but he was pretty much the only player in focus of opponent's defense.

I can't believe all the praises for Chrisie and such for their performance in the playoffs when their shots were wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open partly thanks to the fact that seven guys are covering Pedja.
Unfortunately its pretty damn clear at this point that a single defender can very well knock peja off his game, if they stick with him continuosly. This means that whom-ever is on peja is not available for help defense elswhere, but also, NOBODY doubles up on Peja.

Peja HAS to address this shortcoming, if he is ever going to be really considered an elite. He's adressed is other previously glaring deficiency plendidly, he is no longer a liability on Defense. If he can handle this problem, he moves on to the next level. Else, he retires just a really good, but flawed player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sloter said:
Pedja played unconscious in game 3 vs. Wolves. That proved to be the KEY game of the season and him and Bibby were the only two Kings to do anything in the 4th and overtime. So don't say that Pedja never came through. It is a fact that his numbers are not as good in the playoffs as in the regular season, but he was pretty much the only player in focus of opponent's defense.

P.S. does anyone have any of those videos towards the end of regulation of Game 3 ? Those were the best moments of Kings basketball since that Bibby shot vs. Lakers.
Peja stepped up in ONE game. O-N-E game.

He was the second best shooter statistically last season. He should be able to maintain or even exceed that standard in the playoffs. He can't; not because he's not a good shooter but because he can't create his own shot. Defenders know that and, especially in the playoffs, they render him totally ineffective for the most part.

Game 3 against the Wolves was not the key game of the playoffs. If it had been, we'd be polishing a trophy.

As far as the other players being effective because Peja was double and triple teamed, nice try but it won't hold water. Opponents didn't have to double and triple team Peja. He didn't make shots from outside; he missed layups; he generally did not perform at an elite level in the playoffs. And it's not the first year this has happened.

Hopefully this year will be different. He has something to prove - if only to himself. He'll want to shoot lights out just to show up Webber, if nothing else. And he's rested all summer.

If Peja can step up and fulfill his potential, I'll be yelling as loud as anyone else. Until then, he is as much a subject for criticism as any other player. In fact, his own actions and demands have opened him up for more than the usual criticism. If he didn't think this would happen, he really hasn't been paying attention.