Patty Mills

was pissed when we just missed him in the 2nd round 5 or so yrs ago as ive followed him long through the ranks in Aus. He's shown what his capable of with solid defence, offense facilitation and long range accuracy.

teams will throw money at him (as he is a FA this offseason) and we should absolutely go hard at him i feel. No bias i assure you. Great head on his shoulders, top notch character guy

I think people need to be careful with the Spurs players. They look great because they play for the best team and in the best system, where everyone has his role and is able to shine. Take some of those players out from that system, and I'm afraid you won't have the same production. I'm pretty sure that if we had Leonard on our teeam instead of Jimmer, he wouldn't be the player he is today.
I like Mills, but I wouldn't go after him this summer. We have Ray. Give Ray to Popovich, and in a couple of years he would be better than Mills.

I think people need to be careful with the Spurs players. They look great because they play for the best team and in the best system, where everyone has his role and is able to shine. Take some of those players out from that system, and I'm afraid you won't have the same production. I'm pretty sure that if we had Leonard on our teeam instead of Jimmer, he wouldn't be the player he is today.
I like Mills, but I wouldn't go after him this summer. We have Ray. Give Ray to Popovich, and in a couple of years he would be better than Mills.
They already have a Ray on the roster in Cory Joseph.

patty is quick, plays tenacious d and can shoot. if the kings are delirious enough to offer micro pizza boy 4m+... they need to give that to mills.

I prefer IT as both players are similar talent wise imo and I'm a loyal guy that prefers to stay true to our guys when possible. That said Mills is option 1B at the point this offseason as far as I'm concerned... if we don't resign IT I'm really hoping we get Mills and give him his chance to start.

I prefer IT as both players are similar talent wise imo and I'm a loyal guy that prefers to stay true to our guys when possible. That said Mills is option 1B at the point this offseason as far as I'm concerned... if we don't resign IT I'm really hoping we get Mills and give him his chance to start.
i'll take the guy who has championship experience and has been in a team winning environment over a selfish undersized me first gunner that can't play d. that decision isn't difficult to make.

I like Patty but not sure where the tenacious d description is coming from.
Mills plays aggressive ball pressure. IT did that his first year and a half on the team, but this last year only did it against marquee matchups. I think IT has the defensive capacity of Patty Mills, but Mills knows that Popovich will bench his butt if he doesn't play both ends of the floor while IT has the cushion of knowing that he will get 38 minutes regardless of how much effort he gives on D.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I like Patty but not sure where the tenacious d description is coming from.
Long time ago me and my brother Kawhi here
We was fast-breaking down a long and lonesome court
All of a sudden there shined a shiny LeBron...in the middle...of the court
And he said, "Run the best break in the world, or I'll eat your souls."
Well me and Kawhi, we looked at each other, and we each said..."Okay"
And we ran the first play that came to our heads, it just so happened to be
The best break in the world, it was the best break in the world
Look into my eyes and it's easy to see
The alley-oop makes two and the foul makes three
It was destiny...

Long time ago me and my brother Kawhi here
We was fast-breaking down a long and lonesome court
All of a sudden there shined a shiny LeBron...in the middle...of the court
And he said, "Run the best break in the world, or I'll eat your souls."
Well me and Kawhi, we looked at each other, and we each said..."Okay"
And we ran the first play that came to our heads, it just so happened to be
The best break in the world, it was the best break in the world
Look into my eyes and it's easy to see
The alley-oop makes two and the foul makes three
It was destiny...
I don't think clicking Like would not properly convey how much I enjoyed this post. Slightly more than I enjoyed a similar Princess Bride themed post of yours from way back.

Well done Capt. Fartorial*. Well done.

*For those bothered by my childish name calling please understand I am only fulfilling a wish by the Cap himself from another thread.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't think clicking Like would not properly convey how much I enjoyed this post. Slightly more than I enjoyed a similar Princess Bride themed post of yours from way back.

Well done Capt. Fartorial*. Well done.

*For those bothered by my childish name calling please understand I am only fulfilling a wish by the Cap himself from another thread.
No more rhyming, and I mean it!
Anybody want a peanut!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm always amazed when someone recommends we go after a player that just helped his team win a championship, and someone else starts finding flaws in that player, as though he's not good enough to play on a team that was the bottom of heap. If the reasoning is, that Mills is good because he plays within a system, a system the Kings have said they want to emulate by the way, then isn't that exactly the kind of player we should be looking for?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm always amazed when someone recommends we go after a player that just helped his team win a championship, and someone else starts finding flaws in that player, as though he's not good enough to play on a team that was the bottom of heap. If the reasoning is, that Mills is good because he plays within a system, a system the Kings have said they want to emulate by the way, then isn't that exactly the kind of player we should be looking for?
Maybe, but wanting a system and having a system are two separate scenarios. Wanting a system is hot air until it actually happens and we're not the first, nor the last organization which has said it wants to duplicate SA's system, yet we're still waiting for even one team to come close.

Teams wanted to duplicate our system under Rick. Didn't happen. Teams have wanted to duplicate Phil's triangle system. Didn't happen. So to go after players who fit a system we thus far aren't close to replicating and no team has replicated, could easily be taken as a faulty strategy.

And put our personnel to the side for a second. In watching Malone's system, it's a PG dominant system where the PG is aggressive. Saw that with IT, Ray and Jimmer when they ran the team at certain times. Would that change with other PG's? Not sure, but in looking at Mills and his skillset and going off what I've seen from Malone, he'd want him to be aggressive. That could work and he did that with SA, but it was as a bench spark. The starting PG(Parker) is much, much more steady. So was Avery Johnson previously. Malone hasn't shown he wants his PG's to play that kind of a steady game.

If we want a Mills type bench spark, isn't IT already a good option? But if we want a Pop style system, an IT or Mills likely aren't starting PG type targets.

I was actually hinting at the flip side of that statement. If IT is a more talented player than Mills (no slight at all to him) then shouldn't the onus be on Malone to develop a system that maximizes HIS effectiveness?

We can argue about how good each of them is, but I don't think anyone would argue with the statement that Cousins, Gay and IT have the game to be starters or major contributors on winning teams. Or that Jason Thompson is a serviceable big. Which means that outside the struggles of Thornton & McLemore at SG the Kings SHOULD have won more than 28 games.

I like Malone a lot and I think he is a good defensive coach. But the offense we saw last year was ugly. Too much isolation, too much stagnation, too much finger pointing, too much chucking and far, far too little screen setting, cutting and passing.

We can argue whether it would be better to resign IT or let him walk and make a push to sign Patty Mills. But either way without a real offensive system in place I can't imagine it would make much difference either way. At least not in terms of wins and losses.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I was actually hinting at the flip side of that statement. If IT is a more talented player than Mills (no slight at all to him) then shouldn't the onus be on Malone to develop a system that maximizes HIS effectiveness?
Not necessarily. I mean, sure, in the abstract, but I think it's important that the distinction be made between maximizing his effectiveness, vis-à-vis maximizing everyone's effectiveness, and maximizing "HIS" effectiveness, vis-à-vis making him a focal point of the offense. I would be in favor of the former, not so much the latter.

Thomas might be a more talented player than Mills (and I will not, personally, be making that particular concession), but Mills has proven, to a greater extent than Thomas, that he can

1. Play within a system/within the flow of an offense.
  2. Be effective offensively without going into business for himself.
  3. Contribute as a 5th/6th option.
Given how I, personally, consume the game of basketball, and what I value from the point guard position, I will happily take a "less talented" player who can thrive in those conditions over a "more talented" player who can't.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I see Mills resigning with San Antonio. If he leaves though, he can go get paid elsewhere, not here. He is a product of San Antonio's system, that's not saying he isn't a good player but I am skeptical about acquiring Spurs role players and trying to have them mimic what they have done for their past teams.

that player product of a system talk is rubbish. Look at his international play. He single dominated the states team with his own guard play in previous meetings

Mills has publicly said that he loves San Antonio, and he's pretty much a certainty to re-sign. However, he would be a huge get for us, he's has legitimate all-star potential.

Let's not forget, in the 2012 Olympics, he averaged 21.2 PPG, more than any other player. Let that sink in for a second - And that's BEFORE he went to the Spurs.

You could say that it's because he was the best player on his team, and you'd be right. The Aussies didn't have many good players on the team that year (Especially after Bogut was still injured) - But he was still an unknown at this point. The team finished a respectable 7th.

It's also interesting to note that they played France in the round-robin portion, and lost 71-67 - But Mills manned up Tony Parker for the night and dropped 20 points on him, as well as 39 against Great Britain.

So Mills has shown that he can be the leader of a team, and do it without being a score-first option. He's exactly what we need.

But, he's one of Pop's boys now, and he's not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Mills has publicly said that he loves San Antonio, and he's pretty much a certainty to re-sign. However, he would be a huge get for us, he's has legitimate all-star potential.

Let's not forget, in the 2012 Olympics, he averaged 21.2 PPG, more than any other player. Let that sink in for a second - And that's BEFORE he went to the Spurs.

You could say that it's because he was the best player on his team, and you'd be right. The Aussies didn't have many good players on the team that year (Especially after Bogut was still injured) - But he was still an unknown at this point. The team finished a respectable 7th.

It's also interesting to note that they played France in the round-robin portion, and lost 71-67 - But Mills manned up Tony Parker for the night and dropped 20 points on him, as well as 39 against Great Britain.

So Mills has shown that he can be the leader of a team, and do it without being a score-first option. He's exactly what we need.

But, he's one of Pop's boys now, and he's not going anywhere.
You claim he can lead a team without being a score first option and then point to all of his scoring success. He's a scorer. It's ok and if he ends up being a slightly less inclined to score option, slightly better defender and slightly more affordable than IT, I wouldn't be opposed to it. But he isn't a vastly different kind of player.

Listen, dropping 39 on the Queen Mum isn't going to help your argument.

Generally speaking, I am leery of trying to pick off SA system players - what makes them so great is the machine in SA. "Play our way, play for championships". It's easy for players to let their egos take a backseat because they see the system working. Here? Not so much. Gay and Cousins talk a good game, and I think they'd be on board in such a system too, but I haven't seen that from others.

That said, Mills might be a good replacement for IT, in that he's BEEN in such a system and can see how moving the ball at the expense of his shots would work. I wouldn't bring him in as a starter, though. what makes him succeed as a bench player is precisely what would make him falter as a starter - same with IT, however.

You claim he can lead a team without being a score first option and then point to all of his scoring success. He's a scorer. It's ok and if he ends up being a slightly less inclined to score option, slightly better defender and slightly more affordable than IT, I wouldn't be opposed to it. But he isn't a vastly different kind of player.
The only reason I bring up his scoring success is because I wasn't able to find any other statistics from the games. I watched them though, and he was fantastic in all facets.

Not many players want to leave San Antonio and who can blame them. Playerd have been willing to acvept less money to stay there and help the team financially. Of course, like Florida, there's no state incomevtax, which helps.

If the Spurs want to keep him, I can't imagine another team having a chance.

they will struggle to get the band to come back. they're will be an element of having to pay for his services obviously but we will be able to offer more than most. A sign and trade with IT going the other way may assist.

Mills is a much better player than IT

Yeah, Patty could fit.
My ideal Kings PG scenario:
1. Darren Collison
2. Brandon Knight
3. Elfrid Payton (draft trade down)
4. Patty Mills
5. Isaiah Thomas (if he gets low balled)
6. Mario Chalmers
7. Kyle Lowry (only if Gay opts out)

Lowry should be atop the list, but it's not going to happen because of money, not because of Gay. The Raptors actually played well with Gay and Lowry on the floor together, it was Gay and DeRozen who didn't fit--I've posted the splits before and you can look them up if you don't believe me.

The Finals seem to have quieted the "Chalmers as upgrade for IT" talk.