Patrick Beverley

Looks like he’s getting bought out by Orlando soon. Anyone think he’s a good fit? Adding a quality defender is always a welcome addition to this team, but more importantly he brings experience and confidence to a young team where only a few guys have been to the playoffs. On the other hand adding a big personality like his could have a negative effect on team chemistry. Thoughts?

I don’t know

Davion is probably the better defensive player at this point. While Mitchell has sucked offensively, Bev hasn’t really been better offensively despite starting all season and playing next to LeBron which usually means good shots.

I couldn’t say if his personality would be a positive or negative for the team.

At best, it would be nice to have a guy that doesn’t mind getting physical and has “dawg” in him, but even then Bev more often than not comes off looking lame(if not bush league) in those situations.

seems like an “old Kings” move to end up with a guy that turned us down a few years ago now that he’s cooked

The Kings should look for available centers and maybe play that wing player they traded for.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't think it would be worth risking the locker room chemistry for a short-term rental nor would it be worth using a roster spot on a 4th PG or cutting one of the guys who's been with the team all season (Dellavadova/Mitchell). Adding a C who could make the rotation (if one becomes available) would be ideal.

The Kings team seems to be a bunch of congenial and happy guys that are all low-key. (Think Barnes and Murray.) Adding an A-hole like Beverley would completely upset the apple cart (as the old saying goes).
I’m not saying Pat Bev is the right guy, but I don’t think adding a dog or 2 on a team full of nice guys would be the worst thing.

Looks like he’s getting bought out by Orlando soon. Anyone think he’s a good fit? Adding a quality defender is always a welcome addition to this team, but more importantly he brings experience and confidence to a young team where only a few guys have been to the playoffs. On the other hand adding a big personality like his could have a negative effect on team chemistry. Thoughts?
I don't think it would be worth risking the locker room chemistry for a short-term rental nor would it be worth using a roster spot on a 4th PG or cutting one of the guys who's been with the team all season (Dellavadova/Mitchell). Adding a C who could make the rotation (if one becomes available) would be ideal.
The Kings team seems to be a bunch of congenial and happy guys that are all low-key. (Think Barnes and Murray.) Adding an A-hole like Beverley would completely upset the apple cart (as the old saying goes).
The part of the OP's (@TheMobb ) initial comment that I bolded, along with the comments made by @hrdboild and @GWD, are, collective and precisely, why I DO NOT want someone like Beverley on the roster. Way too much of a liability to bring on that, over time, can have an extremely negative impact on the chemistry that this roster has already developed.

If the KINGS were gonna risk adding a potential clubhouse distraction, I’d much rather they took a risk with Boogie Cousins for the backup C position than Beverly for a guard/wing position.
I imagine there are buyout candidates who are better fits than Boogie now that we're past the deadline.
When it comes to both Bev and Boogie, the "guaranteed risk" is not worth the "potential reward" - It's as simple as that.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I guess you also consider that most of the guys who are bought out are on lottery teams at this point, buying out some of our back benchers on a team currently sitting third to add another guy likely to be a break glass guy might be considered a richard maneuver and hurt future free agent signings.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really have a strong opinion either way (and it sounds like the Bulls and Sixers are already pursuing Beverley) but I don't think I've ever heard of Pat Bev being a disruptor in the locker room. It seems the opposite actually. He can be a dirty player and he definitely thrives on getting under the skin of opponents on the court, but unless I'm missing something, he hasn't been bad for team chemistry anywhere he's been.

When it comes to both Bev and Boogie, the "guaranteed risk" is not worth the "potential reward" - It's as simple as that.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just saying, in a thread specific to Beverly, I'd rather take the risk on Boogie.

Largely because the need for a legit backup C to spell Domas is a much greater need.

I imagine there are buyout candidates who are better fits than Boogie now that we're past the deadline.
Such as who?

From my POV the KINGS just need a big body that can emulate some of the things Domas does well. Passing and rebounding being chief among them. Boogie can do both. And wouldn't be needed for more than 10-15 minutes per game.

If there's a defensive stalwart out there that can do those things too, great. But I don't think so.

Wish they had landed Mason Plumlee, but it wasn't to be.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Such as who?

From my POV the KINGS just need a big body that can emulate some of the things Domas does well. Passing and rebounding being chief among them. Boogie can do both. And wouldn't be needed for more than 10-15 minutes per game.

If there's a defensive stalwart out there that can do those things too, great. But I don't think so.

don't get me wrong because I've called for the team to sign Boogie several times this season. I just don't think it's in the cards, the door's been open most of the season. Maybe one of the bigs who doesn't have the long injury history that is about to be bought out?

that said I also could see them moving Lyles to that spot and adding bigger wing depth but not a big man. I get the impression Monte and maybe Brown just don't see this as the priority (don't know why, I get extremely nervous whenever Domas leaves the court).

Such as who?

I kind of like the idea. I would like to think Boogie can except a limited role and it would be sweet to see him play on a decent Kings team with three other Kentucky players.
I was also hoping for Plumee but would welcome Noel.

don't get me wrong because I've called for the team to sign Boogie several times this season. I just don't think it's in the cards, the door's been open most of the season. Maybe one of the bigs who doesn't have the long injury history that is about to be bought out?

that said I also could see them moving Lyles to that spot and adding bigger wing depth but not a big man. I get the impression Monte and maybe Brown just don't see this as the priority (don't know why, I get extremely nervous whenever Domas leaves the court).
I'm with you. I think if they were interested in Boogie, he'd have been signed already.

Also, to be clear, I'm not so much advocating to sign Boogie as much as I'm just saying I think he'd be more worth the risk than Beverly. Not only because of the position and role he would play, but also because of his connection to the org and city.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm with you. I think if they were interested in Boogie, he'd have been signed already.

Also, to be clear, I'm not so much advocating to sign Boogie as much as I'm just saying I think he'd be more worth the risk than Beverly. Not only because of the position and role he would play, but also because of his connection to the org and city.
I don't see why we'd roll the dice on Beverly at all. With you there. Didn't we all LOL at the thought of what a nightmare he'd be for the Lakers?

I don't see why we'd roll the dice on Beverly at all. With you there. Didn't we all LOL at the thought of what a nightmare he'd be for the Lakers?
Yeah, not that Pat Bev is a locker room destroyer but if Monte said chemistry was the reason to keep it together I don't think he goes after Beverley. Nor do I think Beverley would come to the Kings. He'll either go for a ring or minutes to recoup his value. Although with the up and down play from Davion a backup PG with experience wouldn't hurt at this point.

Ive thought really long and hard about adding beverly but my opinion is basically he has such a big personality that it may grate people in the locker-room (not that he is intending to). This team's personality seems to be more "laid back Cali" with a flare of Malik (happy but intense) mixed in. Pat Bev is more an agitator and at least until we are on more solid footing, dont know if that is the right guy in this close knit locker-room.

The guys I'd be interested in adding if they were bought out would be Andre Drummond, Will Barton, and even John Wall. The other guy I would actively pursue who isnt signed to anyone, is Dwight Howard. No better back up big when it comes to rebounds and paint protection than him.