Official Free Agent Discussion Thread: Who do you want to sign?

Before this gets started, maybe someone should point out that we are very limited in our funds and can only sign players to exceptions. I'd do it myself, but I am not totally in tune to the Kings financial restraints...You know, it would save us all from some guy who thinks he's just discovered gravity and comes with a preposition to sign ::insert 7-12 million guy here::...Unless they want to propose a S&T which would go in the "Trade thread", right?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ReinadelosReys said:
Before this gets started, maybe someone should point out that we are very limited in our funds and can only sign players to exceptions. I'd do it myself, but I am not totally in tune to the Kings financial restraints...You know, it would save us all from some guy who thinks he's just discovered gravity and comes with a preposition to sign ::insert 7-12 million guy here::...Unless they want to propose a S&T which would go in the "Trade thread", right?
Agreed.

The most common misconception about the Kings is that they have money to spend on free agents because of "all the money freed up by the Webber trade."

For the record, not only do the Maloofs NOT have more money to spend, the contracts they acquired are actually longer than Webber's. It's been pointed out so many times it should be obvious - the Kings are still WAY over the salary cap.

Donyell Marshall!!!!!!

If you could get him for the MLE, I'll pick him up at the airport.

He would be the perfect sixth man. Good perimeter shooter, long, athletic and can rebound. Don't think it will happen but hard to find a better 3/4 combo to come off the bench.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think Chris Anderson and Marko Jaric are perfect fits for this team. We've got to look at getting a PF somehow. Marshall is not an ideal choice, but a pretty decent one. Dan Gadzuric or Zaza Pachulia from the Bucks would be solid pickups. Re-Signing Maurice Evans should be a priority, though I wouldn't mind seeing Songaila go. Mikki Moore could be a good pickup to fill out the roster if he's cheap. Maybe Eddie Griffin if we're really desperate for a PF. I'd give Shareef a look if he's available for MLE type money.

That list says Bobby Jackson is UFA. Doesn't the Kings hold his option? Isn't he only an UFA if we choose not to exercise the option by June/July 1st or something?

I don't really think we will be signing anyone with the exception of the young guys on our roster with our little exception. We are just going to have to sit back, relax, and watch Petrie work a sign and trade to fill our needs.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
C Diddy said:
I don't really think we will be signing anyone with the exception of the young guys on our roster with our little exception. We are just going to have to sit back, relax, and watch Petrie work a sign and trade to fill our needs.
That 'little exception' is all that most teams have to sign free agents with. We're not likely to get the big guns, but we should have a reasonable shot at most everyone else. It's just a matter of choosing who you want to go after and how much you're willing to commit to them and for how long.

no one has mentioned Matt Barnes...I'm appalled

he may be restricted, but do you really think Philly wants him?

they should...

Donyell Marshall sounds really good to me, as well as Chris Andersen (even after the dunk contest fiasco) and marko jaric. I would be very happy to get one/two/all of those players

I like Donyell Marshall, Eddie Griffin and Kwame Brown as candidates if we're looking for a big man. Among guards, I like Earl Watson, Chris Duhon, Marko Jaric and Raja Bell. Any one of these guys would probably take up most, if not all, of the MLE to be signed.

I think it depends on what the draft has for us and (most importantly) what Petrie is going to do with all our extra forwards. The free agent signing period isn't until July, so it should be clearer what direction to go in free agency in about a month when the Kings have had some time to make deals before pursuing FAs.

I would love to see us get Marko Jaric. I think he could be signed for MLE which I think we can afford.

As I menitoned somewhere previously, Jaric is a poor man's Doug Christie. He is a good defender, can play both guard positions as well as SF. He is a team player, quick and explosive. I think he would improve a fair bit in Sacramento.

i like Jaric too.. but this season proved that he's very injury prone... which isn't something we need

personall i'd love to get Shareef (if he's healthy ><) or Donyell Marshall

I say we go for a FA SG and trade for a PF. It is easier to sign a very SG than a PF for the MLE. I think this is what we are looking for. What ever we do we need a defensive player period.

Wow. Larry Hughes just made First Team All Defense.

Any way we can get ourselves $10 million under the cap? Think ATL would be down to take Corliss Thomas and Tag off our hands for a 2nd round pick?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Here are some of my options...Of course not all these guys.
(** = Who I'd attempt to split the MLE between)

**Tyronn Lue. Getting him would enable us to trade B-Jax and have a respectable back-up PG. Good defender, good shooter. Hopefully playing in Atlanta keeps him under the radar.

**Kwame Brown. Young, and still loaded with potential. Attitude may scare off others. Needs a change of scenery.

*Mark Madsen/Ryan Bowen/Micheal Ruffin type player. Scrapy player, with no overall offensive game, but hustles his rear off.

*Matt Barnes.

*Lee Nailon. Backup to Peja. Not much defense, but will score, and actually be a respectable backup to Peja.

*Dikembe Mutombo. Only if Ostertag is taken off our hands in a deal somewhere...

Last edited:
Wow! This has to be the worst group of free agents in years. There is not much to really get excited about although there are a couple of good role players out there like matt Barnes, Mad dog madson, and I like Raja Bell too. I do NOT like Kwame. I think if Petrie is going to make a big move it is going to be through a trade or two.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Elektrik said:
Wow! This has to be the worst group of free agents in years.
Can't agree there -- well, it IS lacking in big names. But big names are pretty useless to a team like us anyway since we cna;t sign them. But for a team in need of help at PF in partiuclar, are a LOT of interesting FAs. Problem is that a bunch of them are restricted. But Swift, Chandler, Brown, Gadzuric, Evans, Griffin, Dalembert, Abdur-Rahim etc. give you a lot of ways to go if you choose to got the FA route. Lot of interesting young players.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I still like your Kwame Brown idea Brick. It is a very smart gamble, yet not really a gamble. Because of his poor performance we could get him for the MLE or less. I also look at Jermaine O'neal and his first 4 years in the league he didn't average over 6 points or 3 rebounds and now he is one of the top 10 PF in the league. Brown has shown brilliance at times and with the right team say us at the PF position could become great. Look at Webber with us and with Philly. Look at KT with us and with Philly. Our teams make a PF look awesome and if you actually have size defensive ability and athleticism we can make you look like an MVP. So i say give a Brown a chance if it don't work its not like we lost alot of $$$.

Entity said:
I still like your Kwame Brown idea Brick. It is a very smart gamble, yet not really a gamble. Because of his poor performance we could get him for the MLE or less. I also look at Jermaine O'neal and his first 4 years in the league he didn't average over 6 points or 3 rebounds and now he is one of the top 10 PF in the league. Brown has shown brilliance at times and with the right team say us at the PF position could become great. Look at Webber with us and with Philly. Look at KT with us and with Philly. Our teams make a PF look awesome and if you actually have size defensive ability and athleticism we can make you look like an MVP. So i say give a Brown a chance if it don't work its not like we lost alot of $$$.
I agree that if the price isn't too much, we should look at Kwame, but I wouldn't really compare Kwame with Jermaine O'Neal. O'Neal was burried on a very deep and good team in Portland and wasn't given much of a chance. Kwame has played on some bad Washington teams and has been given every opportunity to blosom. He needs to change his attitude and work ethic to become a good player. Maybe a change in scenery will do that.

Radmanovic is as streaky as they come. He is either hot or cold and there is nothing between the two extremes. His D is average and if his shot isn't falling he is useless.

One game he will have 25 pts and 10 rebounds. The next game he would have 0 points and 1 rebound.

I think he would be the last player this team needs. He is primarily a SF who is trying to become a PF and not very successfully I might add.

Kwame Brown is 6'11", 240+ lbs and is a super athlete. He would be a gamble, but at this point I think that he is worth the risk considering what the Kings need. He has shown that he has the potential to be a great player. There is a reason why he was taken #1 overall and if had gone to school and stayed he would be in this year's draft. He's 23 years old and from watching him put up 30 and 19 on the Kings 2 seasons ago it's obvious that he has the potential to be a force. The only problem will be price because there may be some teams out there that give him ridiculous offers.