Official: Build New Arena Thread

It is very clear that a new arena has to be built in order for our beloved Kings to stay.

I am dedicating this thread for posters to add info on the people that represent the surrounding counties around Sacramento and in Sacramento.

The goal is to create a letter so that people can just cut and paste it into an email or letter and send it. If we get the masses to participate it could help.

What we need:

1. Represenitive information:
-Represenitives Names
-Addresses
-Email Addresses

2. Letter:
-We need someone to type a letter so that we can cut and paste it into an email or letter to send to our Leaders(I would do it myself but I lack the education to write a soffisticated letter:) )

Post all info here. Letters, Email addresses, etc.
We will eventually post all the letters in a thread and have the Kings fan forum vote on them.

Let's get this done!

Moderators: Can you please sticky this?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Which representatives are we contacting, and how are we tailoring the message to each one? City, county, state? Do we include the mayor/board of supes/governor? I think the message to each might be a little different.

Are we contacting anyone besides representatives? Do we have a letter of encouragement for the Maloofs to stick it out, so they can wave a stack of letters of "support" at representatives?

How about a letter writing campaign to the Bee? Would someone like Mark Kreidler be able to help out if we sent messages of support to him (document the instances in his columns)?

I think an organized plan with a defined goal and outcome is required, and I am not well enough versed in the intricacies of government to know where to start. Maybe someone like Kennadog, who seems to be more adept in this field, can help in this area?

I think an organized campaign is good, but it must be organized to be effective. Any opportunity for a media event?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok, well I was going to hold off on mentioning this, but since you have shown initiative here -- there is a site coming soon which will have all of this information centralized, amongst other things.

By all means collect -- it will help.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Need to probably add Yolo, Sutter, Placer, San Joaquin, El Dorado, and maybe even Solano Counties.

KFBK is the largest talk radio station for news in the area - adding them wouldn't hurt.

Maybe some way of taking out an ad in the paper to promote this? Probably better served by some other method, but always an option.

Edit - you beat me to the Yolo County comment. Again, I am not sure about mass e-mails until we have a coherent message to distribute that is clear and concise.

Bricklayer

Warhawk said:
Need to probably add Yolo, Sutter, Placer, San Joaquin, El Dorado, and maybe even Solano Counties.

KFBK is the largest talk radio station for news in the area - adding them wouldn't hurt.

Maybe some way of taking out an ad in the paper to promote this? Probably better served by some other method, but always an option.
Note my post above.

I would only add that I think it would be very beneficial to frame this in the context of saving a "VENUE" which provides for the betterment of the community. The Maloofs(who until recently) have been demonized and I think removing them from the debate to whatever extent that is possible is a good strategy.

Bricklayer

G_M said:
I would only add that I think it would be very beneficial to frame this in the context of saving a "VENUE" which provides for the betterment of the community. The Maloofs(who until recently) have been demonized and I think removing them from the debate to whatever extent that is possible is a good strategy.
You are a wise man GM. ;)

I am googling for online info of comparable deals, where cities built arenas and how the whole community benefitted. Not because I believe that somehow we can put up a better case for "why building a new arena" is good business then any of the developers or Maloofs could, but the fans should demonstrate that they are _not_ buying into prevailing BS in the media that somehow City/County/State is asked to build Maloofs a new toy at the taxpayers expense.

Here is example of Chicago/Soldier Field:
http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/...t_id/1d5d21a5-0580-4258-88c9-6586e9b04fbd.cfm

However, San Antionio or Indy would be better samples.

G_M said:
I totally agree with this and has been my position from the beginning. Yes, there are centralized sites for representative information. I'd be happy to create some distribution lists when we know which government officials we want to target. I'd do it for other groups too. Chambers of Commerce in different areas, media etc. And I'd contribute $$ to an ad campaign. It's be nice to know if anybody on kingsfans.com is in public relations? Or knows a Kings fan who is.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Bricklayer said:
Note my post above.
No, I saw that, but throwing out ideas never hurts - you never know who has connections/initiative/tendencies in different places/areas or has ideas that will help. Any and all coverage you can get for something like this is good. :D

Any idea how soon the site will be ready?

Removing the Maloofs entirely may or may not be the wisest option. For better or worse and justified or not, a large part of the public already links the Maloofs to any arena deal. Removing them from the equation indicates impartiality (good) but may remove a significant ally in this battle to build a new arena (bad). The only reason we're here at this website is the Kings - pretending they don't exist all of a sudden seems a bit silly. I want a new arena for both the Kings AND everything else it brings.

Edit - I may be completely off about this, but maybe someone can convince me....

Last edited:
bozzwell said:
I am googling for online info of comparable deals, where cities built arenas and how the whole community benefitted. Not because I believe that somehow we can put up a better case for "why building a new arena" is good business then any of the developers or Maloofs could, but the fans should demonstrate that they are _not_ buying into prevailing BS in the media that somehow City/County/State is asked to build Maloofs a new toy at the taxpayers expense.
I'll try and find the article again, but it was a very thoughtful article on how most studies on the benefits of arenas focus on economic benefits without placing any value on certain intangible benefits. It tried to analyze those benefits. I'll have to look for it tomorrow.

kennadog said:
I'll try and find the article again, but it was a very thoughtful article on how most studies on the benefits of arenas focus on economic benefits without placing any value on certain intangible benefits. It tried to analyze those benefits. I'll have to look for it tomorrow.
Great idea. We need all the ammo we can get. We need to humanize the whole project again after the media and (I believe) some polticians have demonized the Maloofs and the whole project for so long.

I don't think we can leave the Maloofs or the Kings totally out of the discussion. After all, we are Kings fans. It happens that the Kings are the single entity that occupies the most time at Arco. But only about 25% of events at Arco are the Kings.

I also think that people forget how much charitable money and/or volunteer time the Maloofs, players and other Maloof S & E employees have contributed to this area. No one in Sacramento objected to accepting free money and other help for benefit of the community.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
kennadog said:
I also think that people forget how much charitable money and/or volunteer time the Maloofs, players and other Maloof S & E employees have contributed to this area. No one in Sacramento objected to accepting free money and other help for benefit of the community.
Exactly - the community donations and good PR seem to be forgotten/fall on deaf ears recently. Maybe a reference to the amount of community donations, etc, given on an annual basis by the Maloofs would be good as well? Maybe a list of all the local parks/facilities rehabbed/built by their assistance over the years or the organizations who have received substantial amounts of money and the good it has done?

kennadog said:
It's be nice to know if anybody on kingsfans.com is in public relations? Or knows a Kings fan who is.
I work with a lot of big PR firms. I wouldn't count on any of them wanting to step into something like this (at least of a voluntary level), but I can try to see if maybe they know of any firms that might be willing to kick-in. It's worth a shot anyway.

I would love to see Kings fans start to show up at city council/County supervisor meetings until a new arena talk becomes a priority. People showing up at the meetings over and over again makes the demand real. Additionally, it is more visible to the media.

Additionally, I wonder if our city/county leaders are subject to recall. Maybe a threat of recall will get the ball rolling.

Bricklayer said:
Ok, well I was going to hold off on mentioning this, but since you have shown initiative here -- there is a site coming soon which will have all of this information centralized, amongst other things.

By all means collect -- it will help.

Created by you?

Can't wait. It should help a bunch.

If people recall, There has been efforts before trying to get other counties to be included but at that time those Supervisors felt that they wouldnt benefit from an Arena being built. So they all declined.

This happened just 2 years ago.

With a new City Manager things should start to improve.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
slugking50 said:
Created by you?

Can't wait. It should help a bunch.

If people recall, There has been efforts before trying to get other counties to be included but at that time those Supervisors felt that they wouldnt benefit from an Arena being built. So they all declined.

This happened just 2 years ago.

With a new City Manager things should start to improve.
You'll be hearing in a short while. Jeremy, Bricklayer and I - among others - are not going to let this issue die without a fight and are already working very hard on putting some stuff together.

Stay tuned for further details...

Once and forever, go SACRAMENTO KINGS!!!!!

VF21 said:
You'll be hearing in a short while. Jeremy, Bricklayer and I - among others - are not going to let this issue die without a fight and are already working very hard on putting some stuff together.

I'd be willing to throw a little cash your way(s) to help out with hosting/design/whatnot.

VF21 said:

I think its about time for me to speak up and write my 'what sacramento is, and what sacramento was' article, errr....editorial, errr...manifesto. Stay tuned for this, it will be a doozy. I am born and raised here in the capitol of the WORLD'S 5th largest economy. And yet there is no identity, no vision, nothing major. Sacramento is the world's biggest MINOR league city. And it would make no difference to the bitties that just 'like' the Kings just to watch them walk. Build more art galleries and freaking theatres, and restaurants...keep saying that we're broke and have no money for anything like schools and resources. SCREW YOU!! If the Kings leave Sacramento, other than having great life-long friends here, I have no problem leaving Sacramento. Sacramento BEFORE the Kings was just happy with getting a few big names errrrr....Phil Donohue, Pete Ranzany, Gorman Thomas...THIS IS MAJOR LEAGUE TO MOST IDIOTS THAT WERE AROUND DURING THE 70's and EARLY 80's!! I cant tell you how annoying it is to think of these type of people...of which, our lovely former mayor Anne Rudin, who could give a rat's arse about anything to do with growth in the community and civic pride. Anyways, my article will be sent to EVERYONE that is a part of this arena/Kings thing, Councilpeople, Maloofs, Mayors(including ones from surrounding cities), venture capitalists...EVERYONE! Please stay tuned.....thank you.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understand your passion, Circa 1985 Fan, but a BIG part of the problem is people thinking that it has to be art galleries OR an arena, schools OR an arena, etc. It doesn't.

What we here at Kingsfans.com want to do is start something that will help get the focus where it belongs. On finding a way to build an arena that will keep the Kings here for a very long, long time AND will serve as a beacon for other events to come to the area. It can be beneficial all the way around.

Primarily, it's not about anger, or "Screw you!" or anything like that. In fact, that's been part of the problem IMHO. People need to step back, take a couple of deep breaths, and approach this rationally and calmly. Getting angry doesn't help anyone.

Too many times a good idea has gone awry because people let their emotions get the better of them. We're going to try to do this logically and rationally and with passion, but without anger...

Peace.

:D

VF21 said:
I understand your passion, Circa 1985 Fan, but a BIG part of the problem is people thinking that it has to be art galleries OR an arena, schools OR an arena, etc. It doesn't.

What we here at Kingsfans.com want to do is start something that will help get the focus where it belongs. On finding a way to build an arena that will keep the Kings here for a very long, long time AND will serve as a beacon for other events to come to the area. It can be beneficial all the way around.

Primarily, it's not about anger, or "Screw you!" or anything like that. In fact, that's been part of the problem IMHO. People need to step back, take a couple of deep breaths, and approach this rationally and calmly. Getting angry doesn't help anyone.

Too many times a good idea has gone awry because people let their emotions get the better of them. We're going to try to do this logically and rationally and with passion, but without anger...

Peace.

:D
Well, I understand the whole 'voice of reason' thing and all, but I'm already pretty much getting ready to deal with this city without the Kings. Fine with me, whatever. Why was Joe Serna the only person in this city with a position of prominance that actually had the balls to get pissed and DO SOMETHING about things to actually get them done! Without him, the Kings would have left back in 97' when Old Man Thomas was about to sellout to Nashville. How soon people forget about how Sacramento was. Joe Serna meant so much to this city, I swear. Now....everything is just going to blow away...we're going to become the Bratislava of the West. But hey, it makes people happy, I guess. So...we shouldnt get angry, right? C'mon...the only way things ever get done in THIS city is with vigilance, it seems! Just remember...please.