Nigel Hayes

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I remember watching him play for Wisconsin, he played with Frank Kaminsky one year too. He's a undersized PF. Don't know much more than that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looking at his G League vids and his draftexpress profile from 15-16, has length, looks strong.......can we play him or is he strictly G League?
If he's signed with the Kings, we can play him and/or send him down to the Bighorns at our leisure. Could this have anything to do with the Bighorns heading towards the playoffs?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We should wait for details on this to come out. Usually deals like this involve the second year being fully unguaranteed.

That said, we didn't have any roster spots available. So who got cut loose? Bruno I assume?

My bad, I forgot we cut Joe Johnson. We had a spot.

Last edited:
While following KP this year for the NYK, I was at their forum and lurked around their G-League teams topic also and they said he is really good three point shooter shooting like 44 % from the 3 with almost 6 attempts per game, not a bad defender also gets in a passing lanes, but not a rim protector at 6'8''.

Nothing special in my opinion maybe taking a flyer to hope maybe he can crack a rotation spot next year? Just like Raptors took a chance with Fred VanVleet and now look at him now.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
While following KP this year for the NYK, I was at their forum and lurked around their G-League teams topic also and they said he is really good three point shooter shooting like 44 % from the 3 with almost 6 attempts per game, not a bad defender also gets in a passing lanes, but not a rim protector at 6'8''.

Nothing special in my opinion maybe taking a flyer to hope maybe he can crack a rotation spot next year? Just like Raptors took a chance with Fred VanVleet and now look at him now.
I love Hayes' effort and intensity on the floor, and he really opened my eyes with his passing last year in Wisconsin. He kind of has a hefty body for a 3, but if he can guard the perimeter (and in college, he could) I always thought he might be a bench piece.

Interesting! I really liked him in 2015 when he was playing as a small ball PF at Wisconsin. Definitely thought If he embraced a Draymond Green role he could have been a first rounder. However he decided to stay and tried to transition to SF. That didnt work and since then he went off the radar.

By the way, If anyone wants to take a look at his game, there are still old draftexpress videos on youtube.

He is a 6'7" PF with a 7'3" wingspan weighing around 240 pounds. He has a good feel for the game and can hit threes although he is inconsistent. Good not great athlete. Quick first step. Good on-ball defender. Can switch. Struggles at SF because of limited ball-handling. At Wisconsin he had success attacking slower PFs off the dribble while being able to keep them off the paint on the other end.

I will give us some credit, we're certainly on the right path of hunting for the right physical profile trying to find that 3/4 flex player who can switch on defense and shoot. Only 23

G-League numbers

15 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 2.1 APG, 1.4 SPG, 34 MPG

43% 3pt on 5.5 FGA (!!!)
55% TS
19% USG
11% TOV
9.3% AST

So yeah, cool. I'm intrigued. Obviously haven't seen him play, but the physical profile is really good and he's got some interesting numbers for a Small-Ball PF in his stat line. Let's get this kid some run.

I really like Hayes. He's a very skilled big man with some wing abilities. He's also a terrific passer. I think he fits very well into what Joerger wants out of his players.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hayes was on the same Wisconsin team with Frank Kaminsky and Sam Dekker. He was an inconsistent 3 pt shooter in college, shooting around 40% from the three in one of his four years there. I wasn't sure what he was coming out of Wisconsin, a PF or a SF, or a combo of both. Seems like he's developing into more of a SF in the G-League, and has also developed into a more consistent 3 pt shooter. So why not take a look? He's one of those low risk, high reward guys we should be looking at.

I love Hayes' effort and intensity on the floor, and he really opened my eyes with his passing last year in Wisconsin. He kind of has a hefty body for a 3, but if he can guard the perimeter (and in college, he could) I always thought he might be a bench piece.
I'm not gonna show out myself as a college basketball expert, because I usually watch March Madness only and sometimes Conference tournament games, because of the time zone and live stream not acceptability, but I'm gonna say Nigel Hayes has really hefty body, just looking at his measurements... 6'8'', 255lbs even tho in the last few games while playing he doesn't look overweight... funny thing is Lebron is even 250lbs according to NBA.com.

As I said I have seen few G-League games this season with Weschester Knicks he to me is a 3 tho. He can become excellent 3+D player of the bench.

And to me I think Kings signed him to play as a 3, because what we have at the 3 spot? Jackson and who else Bruno?

We should wait for details on this to come out. Usually deals like this involve the second year being fully unguaranteed.

That said, we didn't have any roster spots available. So who got cut loose? Bruno I assume?

My bad, I forgot we cut Joe Johnson. We had a spot.
Im confused, so does this mean we actually didn't need to trade Malachi for that trade to go through?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Im confused, so does this mean we actually didn't need to trade Malachi for that trade to go through?
So, that may not be the right question. The Malachi/Caboclo trade had no bearing whatsoever on the George Hill trade. However, the George Hill trade required us to have an empty roster spot, as we received both Johnson and Shumpert while only sending away Hill. You have to have roster space available for every player you trade for - you can't trade for a 16th player and immediately cut them to get to 15, you have to be at 15 max including the players you receive from the trade. As a result, we cut PapaG to get down to 14, then traded Hill for Johnson/Shumpert to end at 15 after the trade. Then, we subsequently bought out Johnson and got down to 14 as a result.

So did we need to trade Malachi for the Hill trade? No, but that's not why we did it. Did we need to cut PapaG for the Hill trade? Yes.

(If you remember, there was speculation when the Malachi trade was announced that we would be cutting Caboclo after receiving him, because it would be cheaper than cutting Malachi. Clearly that speculation was wrong, but there was a time when people did think that the Malachi trade was to clear a roster spot for the Hill trade.)

So, that may not be the right question. The Malachi/Caboclo trade had no bearing whatsoever on the George Hill trade. However, the George Hill trade required us to have an empty roster spot, as we received both Johnson and Shumpert while only sending away Hill. You have to have roster space available for every player you trade for - you can't trade for a 16th player and immediately cut them to get to 15, you have to be at 15 max including the players you receive from the trade. As a result, we cut PapaG to get down to 14, then traded Hill for Johnson/Shumpert to end at 15 after the trade. Then, we subsequently bought out Johnson and got down to 14 as a result.

So did we need to trade Malachi for the Hill trade? No, but that's not why we did it. Did we need to cut PapaG for the Hill trade? Yes.

(If you remember, there was speculation when the Malachi trade was announced that we would be cutting Caboclo after receiving him, because it would be cheaper than cutting Malachi. Clearly that speculation was wrong, but there was a time when people did think that the Malachi trade was to clear a roster spot for the Hill trade.)
oh ok thanks for answering the question! was really confused because I thought we had a full roster already

oh ok thanks for answering the question! was really confused because I thought we had a full roster already
Well, we still didn't need to do the Malachi trade if we didn't want to. It was pretty pointless really. The Malachi trade went down after everything had been done.

Well, we still didn't need to do the Malachi trade if we didn't want to. It was pretty pointless really. The Malachi trade went down after everything had been done.
If it makes you feel any better, he isn't even starting for the Raptors G League team and is playing very poorly. Shooting like 31% or so. We probably aren't going to be kicking ourselves over this one.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Nigel Hayes has a better chance at sticking than Jack Cooley. I like Cooley and how he brings his hard hat to work but he's terrrrrible on defense. Hayes played some good defense but not as good as Jakarr Sampson.

Nigel Hayes has a better chance at sticking than Jack Cooley. I like Cooley and how he brings his hard hat to work but he's terrrrrible on defense. Hayes played some good defense but not as good as Jakarr Sampson.
Entertaining watching Cooley bounce bodies around but not an NBA player....serviceable rebounder but no upside at all with him.
Nigel looked ok. You can tell he had some jitters and wasn't able to get comfortable. If that early 3 fell for him he probably would have loosened up more. Defensively he played very good. He isnt Jakarr but who is on the defensive side. Had some nice defensive stops. Strong and has some good length for a stretch 4