NFL Talk

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Tomorrow is game day and football Sunday! Discuss all the games on Sundays year long.

I'm personally looking forward to watching my Bengals vs the Pats, that is going to be a very intense game. Another one that should be interesting is going to be the Atlanta Falcons vs the Steelers without Big Ben, that can be a ultimate trap game for ATL.

Washington vs Dallas, McNabb's debut game vs his former team will provide plenty of talk around the NFL world.

Everyone feel free to put your intake on the games & what not

As a Patriots fan, I cant wait to see that Bengals game tomorrow. Very interesting matchup. Up until this past week I was convinced my Patriots had this one in the bag. Now Im starting to talk myself into this Bengals defense. Everyone talks about how bad the Pats defense is, and thats a perfectly valid argument to make, Im just not conviced Carson Palmer is any good. I think he's the key to this game. If he show's up, the Bengals should be able to outscore New England ... If Palmer plays poorly (which I honestly think he has since the knee injury ) I like the Patriots chances.

Philly vs. GB should be a fun one too. I LOVE the Packers this year like everyone else .. And I pat myself on the back for liking them ( and Rodgers ) for the past two seasons, but I also really like the Eagles this year, and if they pulled off the upset I wouldnt be surprised at all.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
As a Patriots fan, I cant wait to see that Bengals game tomorrow. Very interesting matchup. Up until this past week I was convinced my Patriots had this one in the bag. Now Im starting to talk myself into this Bengals defense. Everyone talks about how bad the Pats defense is, and thats a perfectly valid argument to make, Im just not conviced Carson Palmer is any good. I think he's the key to this game. If he show's up, the Bengals should be able to outscore New England ... If Palmer plays poorly (which I honestly think he has since the knee injury ) I like the Patriots chances.

Philly vs. GB should be a fun one too. I LOVE the Packers this year like everyone else .. And I pat myself on the back for liking them ( and Rodgers ) for the past two seasons, but I also really like the Eagles this year, and if they pulled off the upset I wouldnt be surprised at all.
Well first off, may the better team win tomorrow. I personally don't think we will beat the Pats, even how injury depleted they are on defense, they still have enough offense to win games, and our defense will definently have to play their A game to pull out a win in a very tough atmosphere in Gillette Stadium. As for Carson Palmer, I really don't know what to think of that guy, he has been way off since his injury, obviously...and I just hope he has a stellar season this year because we need him to be ELITE for us to get to the playoffs and where we want to go, it's pretty much on Carson's shoulder, no more excuses.

Packers are almost everybodys choice to be Superbowl bound, I can see it I suppose...but the Saints and Vikings are gonna have something to say about that, so it's going to be a very interesting & entertaining season for sure. Philly is a pretty young team now, but I absolutely love their personel, they have the weapons on offense to be successful, defense needs some work but that will come in time.

Another interesting match up to look out for is the Colts vs Texans. Colts have been owning the Texans 15-1 all time record up to this point. I don't know if Texans will win, but they are really hungry to prove this year they can make the post season and I hope that they do, they are one of my favorite teams to watch, they are so explosive with Matt Schaub and co.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well based upon today's games, couple of observations. The Houston Texans finally get that Colt monkey off their back, atleast for their first meeting, I sure hope to see the Texans succeed this year, I really love their team both offensively and defensively, they are amazingly talented. Chris Johnson did not lose a step and just torched the Oakland Raider defense for 130 something yards with 2 TDs. The Kevin Kolb era in Philly did not start off too well, he got injured early and did not return for the remainder of the game vs the Packers. The Giants took care of the Panthers fairly easily after the 1st half, they played pretty solid defense and they were clicking on offense for the most part. The Rams & Cardinals game was close as well, not the most entertaining game, but it was close so can't really complain. The Detroit Lions got robbed on that Calvin Johnson touchdown for the game, I feel. Finally, The Cowboys offensive line is just struggling BIG time, Redskins have a very solid defense I must say. Redskins pull out the upset, which was very encouraging to see.

Thoughts?

I just looked at rest of Texans schedule and I think they can easily go 10-6 now after getting that Indy monkey off their back. Houston was 9-7 last year and with what their building should make playoffs as a wild card this season if not top Indy (or Tennessee in the mix) for AFC South title. Chris Johnson is the single best player, much less best RB in football and with Vince Young maturing nicely keeps Tennessee in the hunt big time. Yeah, I know there's a tiny handful of other NFL greats to consider for such lofty accolade - but CJ is most consistent awesome performer I think I've ever seen - and rarely injured. League MVP or at least offensive player of the year if he keeps it going and highly motivated since he's now gunning for 2,500 yards on the ground finally silencing any talk that Adrian Peterson is "better." I think Chris had at least 2,500 all purpose yards last season but hardly anyone noticed. Unfortunately, by NFL rule Calvin Johnson's catch was not a catch. So, I wouldn't say he was robbed, just unluckly for him and Detroit on what should have been game winner. Dallas looked rather ordinary tonight at best in their mistake prone loss - not like an anointed NFC powerhouse. Randy Moss is a great WR (especially when he has a great QB finding him) but an idiot just about every time he opens his stupid selfish mouth.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They most definently can, keep in mind that they have one of the toughest schedules in the league though, top 3 I believe. With the Titans, Bengals & Cowboys rounding out the top 4. I really liked Houston's progress the last two years, going from 8-8 two seasons ago, to 9-7, you see a patern and you just hope that they live up to it and fill it out. I still think the AFC South goes through the Colts, but that doesn't mean the Texans can't get a AFC wildcard in there. I absolutely agree 100% about Chris Johnson, I don't know how he does what he does, but he is just so elusive and quick that before you blink, he is gone. Did you hear? he wants to achieve 2500 yards on the ground this year as his goal, insane! Think about why he never gets injured, because he has such a tremendous offensive line protecting him often and when he gets hit, he takes it to the ground. Adrian Peterson is still one hell of a football player, I tell ya. Problem is, he needs to work on his fumbling issues, if he can work on that and consistently eliminate them out of his repetua, he is going to only get better. I still feel that was not the right call, I do understand on the other hand, the receiver needs to maintain possession of the ball throughout the contact and what not, it is what it is though. Dallas Cowboys really got beat in the trenches and in general as a team, you have to give the Redskins credit though, they played solid as a defensive unit and didn't give many big plays to the Cowboys. As for Randy Moss, I agree, I saw his post game press conference and you can see the frustration about him not getting paid, it really is all about the money for these players now a days. I wish more played with the heart & grit and worry about the money when the time is right, not let it get in the way of their team and any further distractions in the locker room.

On to Monday night, I really am looking forward to watching the Baltimore and New York game, it really could go either way. Baltimore puts up big points with all their new weapons, or we get a Atlanta Falcons vs Pittsburgh Steeler type of game, as we witnessed earlier today. The Chargers & Chiefs game, I don't see much potential really in that game, only that they are division teams and I'm sure Kansas City will come to play, plus it's their home opener, so I hope both games are entertaining at the very least.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The catch rule sucks and should have been immediately changed after it was apparent its first week in existence that it was a collosal screw up. But I still think players should know the rule by now and Johnson should have just hung onto it because it looks like he set it down in celebration. He quite clearly had full control of the ball all the way to the ground. The problem is I also don't see how to fix it with another clearly defined rule that isn't 100% subjective. And if you go with just two feet down then some very obvious non-catches will suddenly become catches. In summary BS rule, needs to be changed, I don't see how to fix it, until then all players need to stand up with the ball in their hands to complete the catch.

I'm interested to see how Chris Johnson does but until he does it again I don't see how he can be proclaimed better than AP, he isn't catching anyone off guard this season and the Titans should contend in their division - one that in the first time in forever looks to actually be a toughie. Every team not named the Colts won today. Meanwhile AP is going to suffer because Favre is the type of QB who can a) overrule the coach and not get called out on it and b) thinks he can win the game by himself. Hopefully both guys have long lasting careers and this is a debate for the better part of a decade than a one or two season debate.

Can't believe Moss chose to talk about his contract today. But Welker is back. That makes me happy. It also makes me glad my wife ignored my advice about picking up Julian Edelman as a late round sleeper in her fantasy draft. I'm looking forward to this season being in the shadow of the Jets who are everyone's darlings right now.

I'm more than a little irritated about this Tebow gimmick in Denver. I've always disliked his game, I don't care for his in your face prostheletyzing and I hate that the Broncos who were my favorite team prior to my time in Boston are marketing a marginal QB because of it.

On the other hand I was quite happy for Donovan McNabb and Coach Shanny today. I will root for the Redskins in the NFC this season.

Colts and Raiders both lose, I'm happy. Can the Jets make it a trifecta? I won't be able to watch the game but I can only hope.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The Chargers & Chiefs game, I don't see much potential really in that game, only that they are division teams and I'm sure Kansas City will come to play, plus it's their home opener, so I hope both games are entertaining at the very least.
This game does not belong on Monday night opening week and it is horrible to bump what should be a good battle of early season interest to a 4pm Pacific start to add this.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This game does not belong on Monday night opening week and it is horrible to bump what should be a good battle of early season interest to a 4pm Pacific start to add this.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you on that one. If you recall, last season the Chargers opened up on Monday night as well, against the Oakland Raiders. This year it's the Chiefs, what the NFL does sometimes is beyond me, but I guess they added it in there because it's the Chargers and everybody wants to see them play. I don't like that they did not sign Vincent Jackson, I think it's going to hurt them, whether it's early or later in the season.

Regarding your post above, about Tebow, I don't like him at all either. What they should do is convert him into a running back or fullback. He is 230+ pounds, he is a big, strong kid. He does not have the fundamental mechanics to be a successful QB in this league. As for the NFC, the popular pick obviously are the Packers. I don't like the Packers personally, but you can't lie they are very talented.

As for the Jets, yeah they definently have some hype and momentum going for them from last season. They improved on offense and got two solid corners plus Jason Taylor. Too bad for them, the only thing I think thats holding that team back from going to the Superbowl is Mr. Sanchez. I'm not a fan of him at all, never have been, will he progress this year? Time will tell. Baltimore has an interesting team, they added two very productive WR's so I expect them to do well, like always.

PS: I can understand why you don't like the Raiders, mind if I ask what you have against the Colts/Jets? I have teams I hate too, just making some small talk.

I think MNF is not quite as big or be all end all since ABC lost it and it moved over to ESPN. In a way, NBC Sunday nite game seems to have superceded it. Big match ups mean everything. That NBC Thursday opener between Nawlins and Minny scored a huge, record breaking TV audience. Arrowhead stadium is definitely one of the hardest places to play on the road and I'm not sure who is louder, them or Seattle. Who could possibly top the loud noise in those two NFL stadiums? Of course, taking the crowd out of it by getting an early lead is crucial - San Diego should have enough but without V. Jackson they're probably going to regret not extending him. It will be interesting to see if the rookie from Fresno St. lives up to the hype and makes Charger fans forget about LT. Speaking of LT, he had a good pre-season with Jets and may have something left in the tank - because they're going to need it on O. I think Sanchez was over-hyped last year in "leading" NYJ into the playoffs. He had a decent but rather minor role - it was Ryan's and Revis's incredible D-Fence that propelled the Jets. I picked Baltimore and Green Bay to make it to the Superbowl before season started and I still like the pick. But such a long way with so many twists and turns to get all the way to championship game in Big D.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
PS: I can understand why you don't like the Raiders, mind if I ask what you have against the Colts/Jets? I have teams I hate too, just making some small talk.
I've been a Pats fan since 92. So I think that answers that one. I went to university in Boston and also spent a year of high school in New England so before MKF got here I was the closest thing we had to a Boston homer here.

On my dislike but not hate list are Chicago (as long as Jay Cutler is on the team) and Philly (Vick, their horrible treatment of McNabb this year).

If the NFL were Madden (I always preferred 2k games, but whatever) I'd put Tebow at FB and run a dual QB option offense. Actually pairing him with Vick would be awesome even though both players are on my s-list. You could run a full spread with two running backs that consider themselves QBs.

PH - I agree that MNF is not as big as it used to be, in fact it was always somewhat overrated because late season games frequently featured teams that were expected to contend but turned into busts. But this is opening week, you don't put KC on period. And certainly not at the expense of a game that merits attention, though to be fair it actually does allow East Coast fans to watch the game without staying up past their bedtimes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
PurpHaze: I absolutely agree with you on the fact that MNF is not what it used to be, Sunday night games are usually the best ones. Here and there MNF will have an intriguing match up, but I also loved the fact that they added Thursday night football. That Saint/Viking season opener game had a right to be a record breaker, it was everything it was hyped up to be, for the most part. I expected a "little" more offense on both sides of the ball, but I don't mind a slug fest and just solid defense and running the football. Ryan Mathews is a interesting prospect, he looks like he will come out and produce right away for the Chargers, we will have to tune in tomorrow and see for ourselves. As for your Superbowl predicition, I'm not mad at you for picking those two teams. Each team in their own right brings enough offense and solid defense when it matters. I can say, it would be one hell of an awesome superbowl matchup, that's for certain.

PDX: Oh man, your a Pats fan?? I'm sorry to even say, your team man handled my team today in every fascet, I give your team major props, I did not think they would come out that good on offense & defense, but what do you expect, their a winning franchise.

I love Madden games, they are just WAY to frustrating at times, makes me not want to play for days. Speaking of 2K, 2K11 comes out next month, and it looks like it's going to be the game of the year based on trailers and reviews.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
PDX: Oh man, your a Pats fan?? I'm sorry to even say, your team man handled my team today in every fascet, I give your team major props, I did not think they would come out that good on offense & defense, but what do you expect, their a winning franchise.
Yeah I guess my fandom isn't obvious until Supes shows up and we start bickering (he's a Colts guy). The 18-1 season humbled me a bit. Their defense always gets maligned, and occasionally they deserve it late in the game, but year in year out they are top 10 in points allowed and have a high powered offense to back it up so I don't know what else one can ask for. I only saw the first half today so I can't comment on the second half, my wife was delighted as she has Brady and Ochocinco on her fantasy team.

Just to add my 0.02 on the Pats game.

I was surprised at the lack of energy a team with such personality like the Bengals came out with to start the game. Reminded me of the Pats - Ravens playoff game last season .. Just seemed like the Pats came out on another level the Bengals couldnt match. Unfortunate really, because this COULD have been a really good game. Bengals showed there potential in the second half, and if we saw that team all game it could have been a different story. Cant wait for next week's Pats - Jets game. Should be a dandy.

I like the Ravens over the Jets tonight, and I think KC COULD potentially beat out the Chargers. I dont love them this year .. I just dont see the talent everyone else does. Why do we assume Ryan Matthews is going to be a good running back? Look at what CJ Spiller did on Sunday. No guarentee he's just going to walk right in there and be great. Rivers is a borderline elite QB, but he only has one target. If KC can shut down Gates ( which will be mich easier when you dont have to worry about Jackson ) I could see Cassel, who has better targets in Bowe and Chambers, along with a decent running back in Charles, put up some points.

One more note on yesterdays games... Say what you want about Vick, and while I hated what he did .. he's still one of the most entertaining athletes to watch. I hope Kolb is ok, but I want to see Vick play!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
MassKings: You were surprised? I was shell shocked man! They got hit so hard and so fast by the offense that they didn't know what was coming and they just could not react in time to fully recover. I am super disappointed in my team for sure, because they will have plenty of more offenses like the Pats to worry about, and if we give up 30+ points in a half again, we are not going to win many games at all. Oh man, I can't wait to see that Jets/Pats game, I love when those two teams play, it's very entertaining that's for sure.

For tonight's game, I picked the Jets. I just think their defense will help em out more than Baltimore's, giving them a slight edge. I would not be surprised if KC gives SD a run for their money, they really don't have bad weapons on offense. As for defense, well...I'm not too familiar with many of their players. As for SD, I think not signing Vincent Jackson will hurt their offense, unless Malcolm Floyd or Nanee have breakout seasons. Ryan Mathews, it's too early to tell what he will be, give him a couple of weeks and CJ Spiller as well. I think they just need to get acclamated with the fast & physical play of the NFL.

He def. gave Philly that spark to almost come back and tie the game up. Just fell a little short unfortunately, we will see if he gets a chance to start next week or if not atleast get plenty of snaps.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What a Monday night! Both games were down to the wire and plenty of defense was played for both games. I figured the Jet/Raven game will be all about field goals, but I didn't think Baltimore could convert so many 3rd downs and just go head to head with the Jets defense for the whole game, very impressive. The Chiefs, who woulda thunk it? You have to give them credit, their special teams played phenomenal and their defense wasn't too shabby. Overall, I enjoyed both of the games very much, I loved how it rained in KC and we got to see some football in mother natures territory. On to Week two.

Thoughts on next sundays matchups?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Fair enough. I was very surprised the Jets won by two TDs. I didn't think they had it in em to score 28 pts. That's why they play the game I guess. I'm just glad my team came back strong this week after a pee poor performance last week.

One more note on yesterdays games... Say what you want about Vick, and while I hated what he did .. he's still one of the most entertaining athletes to watch. I hope Kolb is ok, but I want to see Vick play!
Man, Vick is a joke. He drowned the dogs, he electrocuted them and beat the living crap out of the dogs and you have the nerve to that Vick is entertaining.

Man, Vick is a joke. He drowned the dogs, he electrocuted them and beat the living crap out of the dogs and you have the nerve to that Vick is entertaining.
Eh, Shoulda saw this coming. "The Nerve" really?

Excuse me for having that nerve, while im at it I'd like to say I also find the ATHLETE Ray Lewis entertaining. Same can be said for Birdman Chris Anderson, Josh Hamilton, and other athletes who have made questonable to bad choices in there personal life. Do I like watching these guys because of what they do off the field? no. Do I think there great guys! no. Do they play a sport I enjoy watching at a high level, and does watching these guys entertain me? yes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What a Week 2! Just finished watching that 49er/Saints game, very intense! You gotta hand it to the 9ers, 4 TO's and they still managed to be in the game and possibly go into overtime. That's how football should be played, down to the last play. Very impressive comeback victory for the Houston Texans, they were down 17-0 and come back and win it in OT. They are for real this year, watch out for them, you don't want to play them in the playoffs (if they make it). I was surprised the Jets beat the Pats by two touchdowns, I expected a low scoring game with New England winning by maybe a FG or a TD, not by 14. Tampa Bay, Chicago & Kansas City all 2-0, who would of thought? Gotta love the NFL, you just never know. Cincinnati came back with a "ugly" win against Baltimore, played very good on defense, picking Flacco off 4 times. Dallas and Minnesota 0-2 very unexpected and they just look all out of sync. Favre just doesn't have "it" anymore and I didn't think losing Sidney Rice would hurt them this much. Dallas' struggles are just mind numbing, all that talent and depth and they can't win games. The Dolphins are another team to look out for, they played solid defense and they just waste alot of clock while on offense, they will be a threat down the stretch. Overall, Week 2 was full of surprises and entertaining games, on to Week 3.

Thoughts?

Eh, Shoulda saw this coming. "The Nerve" really?

Excuse me for having that nerve, while im at it I'd like to say I also find the ATHLETE Ray Lewis entertaining. Same can be said for Birdman Chris Anderson, Josh Hamilton, and other athletes who have made questonable to bad choices in there personal life. Do I like watching these guys because of what they do off the field? no. Do I think there great guys! no. Do they play a sport I enjoy watching at a high level, and does watching these guys entertain me? yes.
Sorry, anytime Vick is mentioned, that's what I think of. Being a dog lover, I don't forget what he has done. If you want to say Vick is entertaining, that's on you but just remember that people such as myself won't forget what Vick has done. Its just the way society is.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm with you Rock, of course I never liked Vick to begin with, my preference for traditional pocket QBs doesn't look to change.

I was pretty stunned by the Jets game, especially since I watched late and accidentally saw the score. The whole first half I was in disbelief.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yesterday Vick was officially named the starting QB for this Sunday's game. So, that should make everybody a little more happier here.

I don't know how I missed this thread for two weeks.

I think the two biggest developments in the NFL so far are 1) The Texans are not just 2-0, they stomped the Colts, and then came from being impossibly behind to win the game in overtime, on the road. And they won both games in different ways, dominating on the ground in Week 1 and then throwing for 500 yards in Week 2. And exorcised some demons along the way. Had been 1-15 against the Colts, made it a no-contest thumping. Were 0-6 in overtime games, but came from 17 back and put the game away in the extra period. To say they had kicking woes last season would be a gross understatement, but they won the game on the leg of their kicker in OT. I still think my Colts are the team to beat in the division, but the Texans have definitely turned the corner, and if they don't make the playoffs this year, Kubiak will be out of work.

2) The two loudest teams in the offseason, the Jets and Cowboys, stumbled out of the gate. The Jets responded by beating their division rivals this week, but the Cowboys are 0-2 and keep shooting themselves in the foot. Both teams are talented. Both teams lack discipline. Both teams have monumental expectations that I don't think they can live up to.

Week Three brings my two most storylines together in Houston as the Texans host the Cowboys. If the Texans can win that game, they'll maintain at least a one game lead in the division, and the Cowboys will potentially be two games back in their own division. Biggest game of the week, with respects to Jets/Dolphins.

As for Vick, I'm not shocked that he's starting again, but I am surprised that he played so well. He's still a great weapon to have. The Jaguars have a horrible pass rush (the Chiefs made the Chargers offensive line look awful, but the Jags couldn't get anywhere near Rivers), so I think he'll have another good game. If you're going to hang your hat on Vick, then the Lions and the Jaguars are the two teams you want him to play back to back. On the other hand, if you're going to expect Kolb to eventually be your quarterback, this might be a good game to put him back out there in. I'm not convinced Kolb is what the Eagles thought he might be, but you don't trade away your Pro Bowl quarterback in anticipation that one guy is going to get the job, and then give another guy the job full time two weeks into the season. If Kolb is the next Matt Leinart, the Eagles are going to be in bad shape, and the McNabb trade is eventually going to look really, really bad.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
While I'm not thrilled about Vick nor do I wish any ill will towards Kolb, I can't help but laugh at the Eagles misfortunes after the way they handled McNabb.

While I'm not thrilled about Vick nor do I wish any ill will towards Kolb, I can't help but laugh at the Eagles misfortunes after the way they handled McNabb.
Might have to wait a few weeks to see if there really is any misfortune. Vick led the Falcons to the NFC championship a few years ago, and that team was arguably less talented than this Eagles team is. I'm not picking the Eagles to win the NFC or anything, but there's no favorite in that conference. The preseason favorite in the division is 0-2, and while Vick isn't your prototypical quarterback, he's always been able to make things happen. Still as fast as ever, looks like he's devoted himself to being professional and prepared... I don't know.

It's after this season, when Vick is a free agent and the Raiders and Jaguars and maybe even the Vikings and number of other teams are offering him a three year contract and the starting job, with no second round pick behind him, that the Eagles might have a problem.