Newton released...Boddie signed

YES!!!:D I am sooooooo on-board with this move. We NEED another point guard, and I for one am ready for a change. She led the nation in assists, and in the SEC which is arguably the toughest NCAA college division. Let's all give her the props she is due!

Welcome to the Monarchs Whitney Boddie :D

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
YES!!!:D I am sooooooo on-board with this move. We NEED another point guard, and I for one am ready for a change. She led the nation in assists, and in the SEC which is arguably the toughest NCAA college division. Let's all give her the props she is due!

Welcome to the Monarchs Whitney Boddie :D

Be careful. The whole WNBA disagrees with you. She stinks. NOT!

I'm with you, Den-Den. I think this is just the change that is needed. Afraid it won't get us into the playoffs though. I'm thinking it is "too little too late," as the saying goes.

I'm just looking for a team that is fun to watch. Getting a real back-up pg is exciting to me (whether the WNBA agrees with me or not."

Be careful. The whole WNBA disagrees with you. She stinks. NOT!

I'm with you, Den-Den. I think this is just the change that is needed. Afraid it won't get us into the playoffs though. I'm thinking it is "too little too late," as the saying goes.

I'm just looking for a team that is fun to watch. Getting a real back-up pg is exciting to me (whether the WNBA agrees with me or not."
AGREED!!!!!

This move does not "move" me one way or the other. If this player was so good, why did she not stick from training camp...AND why did no other team grab her after she got cut. Just wondering:confused:.

With tha said, Welcome Ms. Boddie to the Monarchs Family:D

I think the argument "if she was any good then...." is missing the big picture. Very few cut players found teams at the end of training camp because of the limitation on the roster size. I think it also misses the point that the coach who cut her is no longer coaching the team.

I felt the Monarchs chances to make the playoffs already came and left. It's beyond miracle to me right now simply because you can't have a streak (which they have to have to even begin using the P word other than in sentences using the past tense) until you start to play consistently and in playing consistently you are notching wins, instead of almost, sh/coulda wons.

Boddie's here to, well, be a body. Whether she plays I think depends on whether Brunson plays. They can't play their system with 9 people. She should see minutes tho or else I don't see the point of the 7-day evaluation. There's no savior or difference maker, the players who could have made a difference in the Monarchs season were already in uniform before the ink dried on Boddie's contract.

Jessica Moore, Jessica Davenport, Anna DeForge, Barbara Farris, Ketia Swanier (who was awful as a rookie), Tan White, Kiesha Brown, Ivory Latta, Tasha Humphrey, and Shay Murphy all found teams to sign with after being cut from training camp. Kelly Schumacher (cut from Mystics) and Sherill Baker made appearances as replacement players this season. I think the argument is valid. If this player was as good as purported, why didn't anyone express any interest in bringing her in until the last place team that drafted her signed her after an injury to its 11th man?

Perhaps it's because said player shot 28% from the field and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.2 during preseason. Perhaps it's because said player did not hit a single three-pointer as a collegian and was not going to provide any relief in that category as a pro (Chelsea did at least hit a few three-pointers this season). Perhaps it's because said player put up good stats in an SEC devoid of Candace Parker, Sylvia Fowles, Tasha Humphrey, and Alexis Hornbuckle.

I just don't see why people are getting excited about a player on a seven-day contract who did not draw interest from any other team upon being released from a team that needed a true back-up point guard. Also, I wouldn't be too sure that "the coach who cut her" is actually the one that cut Boddie. Whiz makes all the personnel decisions, remember? Go to the Monarchs blog (practice video 8/5) and listen to how favorably he speaks of Chelsea Newton if you need any further evidence. When she's healthy, she will return. When Boddie's seven days are up, she will likely be replaced by another player not ready for prime time.

Jessica Moore, Jessica Davenport, Anna DeForge, Barbara Farris, Ketia Swanier (who was awful as a rookie), Tan White, Kiesha Brown, Ivory Latta, Tasha Humphrey, and Shay Murphy all found teams to sign with after being cut from training camp. Kelly Schumacher (cut from Mystics) and Sherill Baker made appearances as replacement players this season. I think the argument is valid. If this player was as good as purported, why didn't anyone express any interest in bringing her in until the last place team that drafted her signed her after an injury to its 11th man?

Perhaps it's because said player shot 28% from the field and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.2 during preseason. Perhaps it's because said player did not hit a single three-pointer as a collegian and was not going to provide any relief in that category as a pro (Chelsea did at least hit a few three-pointers this season). Perhaps it's because said player put up good stats in an SEC devoid of Candace Parker, Sylvia Fowles, Tasha Humphrey, and Alexis Hornbuckle.

I just don't see why people are getting excited about a player on a seven-day contract who did not draw interest from any other team upon being released from a team that needed a true back-up point guard. Also, I wouldn't be too sure that "the coach who cut her" is actually the one that cut Boddie. Whiz makes all the personnel decisions, remember? Go to the Monarchs blog (practice video 8/5) and listen to how favorably he speaks of Chelsea Newton if you need any further evidence. When she's healthy, she will return. When Boddie's seven days are up, she will likely be replaced by another player not ready for prime time.
We've already heard all your comments about how horrible Boddie was when she got drafted, do you really need to keep knocking the girl? :rolleyes: She wouldn't be here if Newton was available to play, everyone knows that...including, I imagine, her. She's here because the Monarchs wanted/needed someone to suit up, and maybe, just maybe she can play well enough that she'll get an invite back to our or someone else's camp next year. If you know about Ticha 2.0, then by all means tell Whiz about her, until then we got Boddie and I hope she proves all the "haters" wrong.

...I just don't see why people are getting excited about a player on a seven-day contract who did not draw interest from any other team upon being released from a team that needed a true back-up point guard. Also, I wouldn't be too sure that "the coach who cut her" is actually the one that cut Boddie. Whiz makes all the personnel decisions, remember? Go to the Monarchs blog (practice video 8/5) and listen to how favorably he speaks of Chelsea Newton if you need any further evidence. When she's healthy, she will return. When Boddie's seven days are up, she will likely be replaced by another player not ready for prime time.
Whiz does speak very favorably about Chelsea, and I doubt there is anyone on this board or elsewhere who does not believe she will likely be back in Monarch purple when she is healthy. I would suggest, though, that you go back to the Monarchs blog (practice video 8/5) and listen to how favorably Whiz speaks of Boddie if you need any further evidence of why she is here whether it is for a week or longer.

For clarity on my first comment...there were not many ROOKIES released this year who found homes elsewhere, and that's likely because of the reduced roster size. Teams weren't in a position to take fliers on players they haven't seen play somewhere in this league.

I'm not sure I'd vote that way re: Newton. Her value to this team dropped in my mind. They need something more out of that roster spot and the two guard that drops in their lap in the lottery or otherwise will need a spot.