New possible trade ideas for Cousins

Meh. I'll believe it when I see it.

And this sure isn't the draft year to be dealing an All-Star player to start a rebuild.
Disagree.

If we're going to contemplate trading Cousins, this is the summer to do it. 2 years left on a star players deal gets you pretty much whatever you want in return. We've talked about it in other threads, but there are plenty of teams with more than enough assets to bring in a great haul for Cousins. And people can point to Love's expiring deal for Wiggins, but the Cavs were pretty much 100% sure they were going to resign him. Maybe the Celtics would be the only team who could get that promise from Cousins.

For not just you, but anyone in the thread. What do you say yes or no to?

Hezonja, Gordon, Orlando 2016 first

Crowder, Smart, BK pick

Okafor or Noel, Embiid rights, Top Sixers pick, our 2019 first back

*FYI not advocating trading Cousins. If it DID get to that point though, I'd rather trade him a year early than a year late.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disagree.

If we're going to contemplate trading Cousins, this is the summer to do it. 2 years left on a star players deal gets you pretty much whatever you want in return. We've talked about it in other threads, but there are plenty of teams with more than enough assets to bring in a great haul for Cousins. And people can point to Love's expiring deal for Wiggins, but the Cavs were pretty much 100% sure they were going to resign him. Maybe the Celtics would be the only team who could get that promise from Cousins.

Crowder, Smart, BK pick

*FYI not advocating trading Cousins. If it DID get to that point though, I'd rather trade him a year early than a year late.
My point is that this is a terrible draft. You want to trade Cousins this summer that's fine but get some future picks because Simmons & Ingram aren't franchise guys.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My point is that this is a terrible draft. You want to trade Cousins this summer that's fine but get some future picks because Simmons & Ingram aren't franchise guys.
I wouldn't call it terrible, but definitely not as strong as last years, nor will it be as strong as next years. If we were to get a 1st round pick as part of a package for Cousins, then get one for next years draft. We probably won't have a pick in next years draft, so that would replace it. I'm sure there will be some surprises in this years draft. There always is. The trick is knowing who they are.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't call it terrible, but definitely not as strong as last years, nor will it be as strong as next years. If we were to get a 1st round pick as part of a package for Cousins, then get one for next years draft. We probably won't have a pick in next years draft, so that would replace it. I'm sure there will be some surprises in this years draft. There always is. The trick is knowing who they are.
Sure, but surprises are guys that might be around when the Kings pick at (presumably) #8 or #9 not at the top where you'd be looking to get a pick in a Cousins trade.

I like Hezonja and Gordon but no. They both have potential but how much? Two guys who combined put up 15 pts, under 9 rebounds and under two assists. They also both seem best suited at SF. Gordon is a SF/PF tweener and Hezonja has a SG game but struggles to guard 2s and has the size to play SF. And that (most likely) 11th pick is a crap shoot.

Crowder, Smart, BK pick
I like Smart and Crowder as role players and if the Celtics won the lottery I could see the logic. But I don't think you can build a team around Ingram so you'd have to build around Simmons. That would mean letting Rondo walk, trading Gay, signing a PF like Anderson and drafting/signing more shooters. If I'm Vlade I'm asking for more (a later 1st rounder this year and Brooklyn's 2018 pick) but then I'd consider it. Of course a tank job just means the Sixers pick swap will loom larger as I think Colangelo wants to field a competitive team next year and has the assets to do it.

Doesn't make sense from either side really. For the Kings Noel & Cauley-Stein are redundant, Embiid is too much of a risk and so Okafor is the only guy the Kings would want and since he and Noel were worse when playing together, I think he and WCS would be too. In that case (assuming the Sixers get a top 2 pick) I think you'd have to take Ingram as Simmons wouldn't work with Okafor either. I'd say no.

For the Sixers, they already have three young bigs and while Cousins is better than Okafor, he creates the same issue of fit with Noel and possibly Embiid. For the Sixers it would mean the next pick swap most likely gives them a higher pick from the Kings but considering Colangelo and Cousins have a history I'd think they'd say no too.

But next year at the deadline isn't a year too late. Cousins would still be under contract (and a relative bargain with the new cap) for the remainder of next season and the season after that. AND you'd be looking at trading him for picks in next year's draft, which is a better one. Heck, I think Rabb is better than all but four or five guys in this draft and he'll improve with another year in school but he'll still probably go late lottery next year.

Next season the Kings will have 35 games or so to see if this offseason's moves made it possible to build a winning team around Cousins. If not, you move him and rebuild.

If we did trade Cousins, I'd look at Minnesota. Wiggins+Bazz+5th pick or LaVine+Bazz+5th pick.

Before people say that the Wolves wouldn't consider it, I think they would. Just the thought of pairing Cousins with KAT would set their franchise for the next 15years. Might be the most elite PF/C combo we've seen since....?

Maybe NYK too. They want to be competitive asap. I think they'd center the deal around Porzingis and picks.

Orlando. 11th pick+ Vucevic+S&T Fournier.

I realistically don't see a lot of teams interested in Cousins. The Celts might be our best bet.

Wolves are not breaking up what they have with Thibs just inked. PJ is not trading Porzingas, he would be crucified in the media and justly. The Orlando offer is weak.

All of these trades are diluting current NBA talent for potential NBA talent. This is too much of a crap shoot IMO. The only All Star being discussed here is DMC.

K

KingMilz

Devin Booker/Chandler/pick for Cuz/Mclemore is the best we could do right now that's if the Suns have any interest in doing it at all.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
One post? :confused:

When I click on "New Posts," it shows me every single thread that has one or more new posts, since the last time I was on the message board, in descending chronological order, by thread title. How do you have your preferences set up, that it shows something different?

Devin Booker/Chandler/pick for Cuz/Mclemore is the best we could do right now that's if the Suns have any interest in doing it at all.
Pick? As in singular? I'm taking #4, #13, & #28 from them and keeping McLemore in the process.

Not that I'd ever trade Cousins, but let's just play it out. Booker/Chandler/#4/#13/#28 for Cousins. Then I'd try to swing Gay/McLemore for #16/#23. Then comes draft day...
#4 - J. Brown
#8 - K. Dunn
#13 - T. Luwawu
#16 - T. Prince
#23 - B. Johnson
#28 - T. Maker

PG - Dunn
SG - Booker/Luwawu
SF - Brown/Prince
PF - Johnson/Maker
C - Cauley-Stein

That's a s*** ton of youth & potential right there with a studly defense in the making.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Pick? As in singular? I'm taking #4, #13, & #28 from them and keeping McLemore in the process.

Not that I'd ever trade Cousins, but let's just play it out. Booker/Chandler/#4/#13/#28 for Cousins. Then I'd try to swing Gay/McLemore for #16/#23. Then comes draft day...
#4 - J. Brown
#8 - K. Dunn
#13 - T. Luwawu
#16 - T. Prince
#23 - B. Johnson
#28 - T. Maker

PG - Dunn
SG - Booker/Luwawu
SF - Brown/Prince
PF - Johnson/Maker
C - Cauley-Stein

That's a s*** ton of youth & potential right there with a studly defense in the making.
IF the Suns offered us that, that blows every other offer out of the Park, I'm just saying if we are going to go the trade Cousins route and there is no franchise player in this draft than that's the first package you try get. I don't see either team doing it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Cousins for steph curry and harrison barnes works out numbers wise.

Still we're losing that trade.
First, let's ignore the fact that Barnes is an impending free agent and can't be traded.

Second, tell you what. You call up Joe Lacob, and you say to him, "Hey Joe. We'll send you Boogie for Steph Curry, but we're probably losing that trade." Then pull out a stopwatch and click it to start. When Lacob stops laughing at you, click it to stop, and come on back here and report just how long the laughter lasted. Over/under is about 17 hours (at which point Lacob will probably pass out from exhaustion).

First, let's ignore the fact that Barnes is an impending free agent and can't be traded.

Second, tell you what. You call up Joe Lacob, and you say to him, "Hey Joe. We'll send you Boogie for Steph Curry, but we're probably losing that trade." Then pull out a stopwatch and click it to start. When Lacob stops laughing at you, click it to stop, and come on back here and report just how long the laughter lasted. Over/under is about 17 hours (at which point Lacob will probably pass out from exhaustion).
id call Lacob about anything you want if you handed me his number.

Front of mind would be how he managed to win 1 mill on blackjack 9 times as well as what it was like to be boo'ed by the fanbase after he beat larry ellison to the purchase of the franchise.

Then id proceed to discuss the best big man in the league, Demarcus Boogie Cousins and the notion that he is unstoppable and unguardable in the paint for as long as he wanted to hear me out for. It might be a short phone call but im happy to reach out.

I'd try that Orlando trade, but give me Oladipo, Gordon, and their pick.

BTW I am 100% on the trade Cousins wagon, even if it's for less than his value. He hasn't made any improvements as a leader or to control his temper. Our reputation as a sinking ship will continue as long as he is here.

BTW I am 100% on the trade Cousins wagon, even if it's for less than his value. He hasn't made any improvements as a leader or to control his temper. Our reputation as a sinking ship will continue as long as he is here.
Great. Thirty-three win team and an even more horrendous record without him AND you'll take less than his value? You know on a sinking ship the last thing you want to do is take on EVEN MORE water. It won't be just the team's reputation, the ship itself would've sunk.

Now if someone offers a godfather deal, then the devil's in the details. But until that time, one more season to see if it can work.

those who make this claim simply have not been paying attention or choose to indulge in perpetual confirmation bias...

those who make this claim simply have not been paying attention or choose to indulge in perpetual confirmation bias...
This article says http://thebiglead.com/2016/05/02/sacramento-kings-should-trade-demarcus-cousins-as-soon-as-possible/

"Several players privately have complained to management about his mood swings and disrespect for those around him, including his coaches and in particular Karl."

This isn't surprising to me. Unfortunately 99.8% of NBA fans don't know players but based on Cousins reputation it doesn't seem far fetch at all to think players have complained privately.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Who has the worst management in the league (other than the Kings)? Make a deal with them; get as many unconditional #1 picks as possible in future years, in addition to some good players. Next, get a coach who doesn't play favorites and has a strong pedigree. Then strengthen the scouting staff. Lastly, draft players with character, otherwise you'll end up in this mess all over again.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Vivek has owned the team for three seasons now. And every season he's had his general manager try to win now rather than rebuild. Also for the last three seasons, the Philadelphia 76ers have engaged in the most egregious and long term tank job in the history of the NBA in an effort to stockpile assets and rebuild.

In those three seasons the 76ers have had a 0.191 winning percentage, averaging just under 15 wins per season.

In those same three seasons the Kings when playing without Cousins have had a .200 winning percentage which would make for just over 16 wins per season.

Without Cousins the Kings are just barely better than a team that has tried to lose as many games as possible for three straight years.

Cousins being unable to control his emotions and being a grumpy, whiny, complaining player is frustrating. But is he really the reason the team isn't winning?

I understand the rationale of some Kings fans wanting to trade Cousins. But if you trade him for pennies on the dollar how exactly is this team ever going to improve in the next five years? They have no other real trade assets, no appeal to impact free agents, a (presumably) late lottery pick in a weak draft and the 76ers have pick swaps and rights to their 2018 draft pick assuming a pick isn't conveyed to Chicago next offseason by virtue of the Kings being one of the worst teams in the league again.

If Vlade decides to blow things up and rebuild, fine. I'll strongly disagree but I can see the rationale. But if he gives away the only player worth anything for two role players and an even later lottery pick in this same weak draft then I think we might as well all take a few years break from being Kings fans.

This article says http://thebiglead.com/2016/05/02/sacramento-kings-should-trade-demarcus-cousins-as-soon-as-possible/

"Several players privately have complained to management about his mood swings and disrespect for those around him, including his coaches and in particular Karl."

This isn't surprising to me. Unfortunately 99.8% of NBA fans don't know players but based on Cousins reputation it doesn't seem far fetch at all to think players have complained privately.
that article cites an ailene voison piece, and even if i were inclined to believe the drivel that she regularly composes, the notion that "several players privately have complained" is beside the point. i don't claim--and i've never claimed--that demarcus cousins is a well-behaved, easy-going personality with whom everyone will get along. however, i dispute any assertion that cousins has not improved as a leader or in his control of his temper. once again, those who fail to recognize the rather massive canyon of difference between his behavior/composure today and his behavior/composure when he first entered the league are simply not paying attention, or have no interest in engaging critically in such conversations...

growth and maturity do not exist in a romanticized continuum; these are not linear concepts. they occur in fits and starts. for every two strides, there is often a step backwards, particularly within the context of an unstable and dysfunctional environment. in yet another losing season that began with playoff hopes, every incidence of cousins' poor behavior gets magnified, and much of the rhetoric is melodramatic beyond measure. he's a good kid and an immense talent with some behavioral issues that can be smoothed out in a more stable environment, with a unified front office and coaching staff who have his back, and with a roster of complementary talent around him. these aren't exactly special considerations for a prima donna. stability, organizational support, and a solid supporting cast are not too much to ask for any star talent...

put some complementary talent around big cuz, instill a culture of defense, and the wins will come and the frustration will subside considerably. it's really not a complex formula. to become a championship contender? yeah, that's a toughie. after all, in a league of 30, there are only a small handful of teams every season who fit that description. but to build a team around cousins that plays together, plays above .500, and plays with effort on the defensive end? that's hardly the brain-shattering calculus that the kings have made it out to be for the last six seasons in all of their bumbling, self-sabotaging dysfunction...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Lots of outlets have picked up this story and ran with it. But given that the source is a Sacramento reporter who has feuded with Cousins to the extent that he no longer acknowledges her or answers her questions and that she makes it a point in every article to smear him with comments about his conditioning I think it's safe to ignore this story.

I'm not saying it's definitely not true that Cousins' teammates have complained about him but just that this source (who very early on became a mouthpiece for George Karl and has gotten most of her info from him) isn't reliable.

i've never claimed--that demarcus cousins is a well-behaved, easy-going personality with whom everyone will get along. however, i dispute any assertion that cousins has not improved as a leader or in his control of his temper. once again, those who fail to recognize the rather massive canyon of difference between his behavior/composure today and his behavior/composure when he first entered the league are simply not paying attention, or have no interest in engaging critically in such conversations...
The most common technical foul in the NBA is usually for unsportman like behavior. Cousins had 17 technicals this year the most ever in his career. That to me doesn't seem like improved leadership.

The most common technical foul in the NBA is usually for unsportman like behavior. Cousins had 17 technicals this year the most ever in his career. That to me doesn't seem like improved leadership.
isaiah thomas earns a lot of plaudits among his fans here in sacramento and among celtics fans for his heart and leadership... yet he had 14 technical fouls on the season. draymond green is widely considered the soul of a championship warriors team... yet he recorded 13. chris paul and john wall are both floor generals and team captains, and they each had 12 techs. if unsportsman-like behavior as registered by the oft-quick whistles of nba referees is going to be the litmus test for "leadership," then i think we're relying on a very flawed measuring stick...