(New) KingsFans Daily Fantasy Basketball League (w/ Auction Draft)

I have been commisionerating the "KingsFans Official Fantasy Basketball League" for a few years now and I'll be starting that up again soon, but I wanted to try something different this year as well so I started a second league.

If you're a regular in the "KingsFans Official", BigDog or Avis leagues that run yearly here, this isn't supposed to replace those. I like the tradition of those leagues so I don't want to steal their thunder. That said...

What's New
An auction draft! Some of you may already be familiar with this style of drafting, but the idea is instead of going in snake order based on a random ordering of teams, each team owner is given a certain amount of fake money and bids on each player one at a time. Highest bid gets the player. Strategy is to not overpay for people so much that you have no money left over to fill out your roster with non-scrubs, but also not to conserve so much money that you have leftover cash.

I'm excited about trying this out. It should take some of the luck out of drafting and add a little excitement.

What to do
The only restriction I have for this league is that you're a KingsFans.com member. Otherwise, it's first come first served. If you'd like to join just post here or send me a PM. I encourage people to try it out. If it works and is fun we'll do it again next year.

more information...

Update: Draft time changed to 6pm (Sat Oct 16 6:00pm PDT)

What else is different
Unlike the "KingsFans Official" league I commissionify, this league will allow daily roster updates rather than weekly. (Both the BigDog and the Avis league are daily leagues, too.)

Since this is a daily league, I set a maximum number of acquisitions in a week and maximum number of moves in a season to take away the temptation of rotating players from the free agent list to get more games in.

Finally, I changed the playoffs in this league to not include the last week and a half of the season, which is different than the "KingsFans Official" weekly league.

Otherwise all settings are the same as that league. Here is the full list:

League Name: KingsFans Daily
Custom League URL: http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/kingsfansdaily
Draft Type: Live Auction Draft
Draft Time: Sat Oct 16 6:00pm PDT
Max Teams: 16 (actual number of teams depends on level of interest)
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Max Moves: 40
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2
Trade End Date: March 3, 2011
Waiver Time: 2 days
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Trade Review: League Votes
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Max Acquisitions per Week: 4
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Playoffs: Week 21, 22 and 23 (6 teams) Note: Week 23 runs 7 days from Mar 28 to Apr 3
Divisions: No
Roster Positions: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, BN
Players Stat Categories: Field Goal Percentage (FG%), Free Throw Percentage (FT%), 3-point Shots Made (3PTM), Points Scored (PTS), Total Rebounds (REB), Assists (AST), Steals (ST), Blocked Shots (BLK), Turnovers (TO)

If you have any questions about the league or input on the settings feel free to add it here and I'll respond promptly. Thanks! I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I am interested in the idea of an auction draft, but I can't make the draft time (and with an auction draft, it's not like you can miss it!) If you are inclined to move the draft to a different day, or bump it 2 hours later, I'll join.

I am interested in the idea of an auction draft, but I can't make the draft time (and with an auction draft, it's not like you can miss it!) If you are inclined to move the draft to a different day, or bump it 2 hours later, I'll join.
Actually, I'm definitely inclined to move the draft day and time to get the most participation. That reminds me, if anybody interested could please send me their general availability for a draft that would be great. For example, weekday early evenings are actually better for me because I don't mind drafting from work, otherwise Saturdays and Sundays are questionable due to family commitments.

Just PM whatever information you can, the more you give the easier it will be for me to find a time that fits as many people as possible.

Also, if you'd like to join but only if you can make the final draft time, let me know that as well. I'll be playing even if I can't make the draft, but obviously the biggest point of this is to try the auction so I understand not wanting to play if you can't make it.

Thanks!

The only other suggestion I would make is to lose a couple of bench spots. With this many teams, you're drafting 224 players. At that point, you've basically drafted almost all of the players that are worth owning with a few surprise exceptions. I think that ends up with people having less reason to be engaged, looking for pick-ups, etc. Maye only 2 bench spots/team?

In terms of availability, nights are better (any day of the week) though weekdays are a little easier.

The only other suggestion I would make is to lose a couple of bench spots. With this many teams, you're drafting 224 players. At that point, you've basically drafted almost all of the players that are worth owning with a few surprise exceptions. I think that ends up with people having less reason to be engaged, looking for pick-ups, etc. Maye only 2 bench spots/team?
Good idea. I don't think we'll necessarily get 16 teams, especially since this is the fourth KingsFans league. But if we do I'll take a look at reducing the bench.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Good idea. I don't think we'll necessarily get 16 teams, especially since this is the fourth KingsFans league. But if we do I'll take a look at reducing the bench.
I might argue that in the event that league is very deep, reducing the active roster as opposed to the bench, may be a better idea. For instance, two centers can be a tough order in a 16-team league. However, although 224 players is a long draft (and with an auction, maybe especially so), it's not like the players available around 225 are not going to have some role. Currently the guys listed from 224-234 on Yahoo are: Redick, Pietrus, Afflalo, Bonner, Nate Robinson, Sefolosha, Bass, Jerebko, Shannon Brown, Budinger, Aminu. Mostly expected to be backups but it's not like there's no fantasy value there.

My general schedule re: drafting will be sent via PM.

I love the idea and would love to join. I recently switched to auction drafting with my football league this season and it was a ton of fun. I even started a thread seeing if anyone here was interested in starting a football auction league, but that wasnt ver successful.

Anyways, I'd like a spot, and I encourage everyone to give auctions a try. There a lot of fun and a lot less boring.

Any updated on this? I'm excited to try an auction league and if this one is still a go, I'll pass on another one.
We're still a go. We've got 7 people so far say they want in (I'll probably adjust the draft time to allow Capt. Factorial to join). I'm thinking that as long as we get at least 8 then we do it, although I'd prefer a few more teams.

In fact, I did just update the draft time since it hasn't conflicted with anybody's reported schedules.

It's now Sat Oct 16 6:00pm PDT.

By the way, if I've sent the password, please remember to sign up. Also I'm not sure who is Prestige Worldwide, if you are that team please let me know so I can keep track of who's who.

Thanks!

I maxed out...plus I tried auction couple times this year and didn't like it too much...granted those were auto-auction. I will give it a shot next year, life sparing...

I maxed out...plus I tried auction couple times this year and didn't like it too much...granted those were auto-auction. I will give it a shot next year, life sparing...
Sounds good... hopefully it works and we do it again next year.

I tried an auction draft for football but we had an odd number of people and it didn't go through. The result was an auto-auction draft that was certainly interesting. But really the whole point for me would be to be there. I don't mind auto-picking the regular style drafts, but there's no point to making it an auction unless you are actually running it.

Sounds good... hopefully it works and we do it again next year.

I tried an auction draft for football but we had an odd number of people and it didn't go through. The result was an auto-auction draft that was certainly interesting. But really the whole point for me would be to be there. I don't mind auto-picking the regular style drafts, but there's no point to making it an auction unless you are actually running it.
Totally agree. I you can't be there, it not only makes it kind of pointless, but its also to easy for other people to cheat the system by nominating players no one is going to bid on because the computer makes ridiculous bids on average players.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alright, its time for me to come online for this fantasy season, and I guess this is as safe a group of patsies as I am going to find...um...I mean as friendly a group of fellow fans as I am going to find to try out this auction thing.

Sorry guys. I have to bail on this league. We just made plans for this weekend and I wasn't totally feeling the 8 team league. Good luck and I'll see some of you over in the weekly league.

Ok, the draft is getting close (closer than I realized) and we only have eight people. (At least we did, it looks like sdballer might have dropped out.)

I'd like to get a couple more, and I'm fine with opening it up to non-KingsFans members to do so. If any of you know somebody who'd like to try the auction draft please pipe up.

Even if we end up with only eight, I think we should go ahead with the draft. I'll probably change the roster size a bit, though so we can add a few more players each.

Sorry guys. I have to bail on this league. We just made plans for this weekend and I wasn't totally feeling the 8 team league. Good luck and I'll see some of you over in the weekly league.
Ahh... I guess we were posting at the same time. Sorry you aren't going to make it.

Bricklayer

Alright, this is an experimental draft using a new "auction draft" format they have over at yahoo. We need some more people to make it more interesting. Accordingly if you are reading this you ARE going to sign up, or I am just going to have to start banning people until you do.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Alright, this is an experimental draft using a new "auction draft" format they have over at yahoo. We need some more people to make it more interesting. Accordingly if you are reading this you ARE going to sign up, or I am just going to have to start banning people until you do.

Thank you for your cooperation.
That's the spirit!

Although it might work better in the right thread. :p

By the way, we're up to 8.5, which could easily become ten if certain folks say yes. A couple more and this could be a decent sized league.

Bad news is that I'm finding out I might have to miss the draft, or at least part of it. Normally I wouldn't mind but that's the whole point of this thing! :(
(Don't worry, I'll play the season either way.)

Bricklayer

By the way, we're up to 8.5, which could easily become ten if certain folks say yes. A couple more and this could be a decent sized league.

Bad news is that I'm finding out I might have to miss the draft, or at least part of it. Normally I wouldn't mind but that's the whole point of this thing! :(
(Don't worry, I'll play the season either way.)
Unless you're having a child, that's not allowed.

And by you having a child, I mean that you are the actual person going through labor. Not some of this namby pamby male "I'm having a child" nonsense whle the woman does all the work and you are sitting around having a beer.

Actually, in the mdoern era I'm still not sure that's an excuse. Just prop a laptop up on your belly and fantasy draft/give birth at the same time.