New IE and Windows Vista.

I know most of you might of received your new version of IE awhile ago, I had it in my updates folder for a long time and finally decided to download it.

I have to give it two thumbs up. The tabs are great, you don't have to open up multiple windows. It looks much more organized. I can't wait to get my Vista in the mail. It should be here anytime. Anyone else here with the upgrade already, and with any opinions?

Any neat new tricks you can share? I bought the "Home Premium".

I actually don't use Internet Explorer any more. I've been using tabs for a few years now with Firefox, and yes, they are great.

I've though about testing IE7, but from the little I've read about it they just caught up to Firefox and Opera, they didn't really go beyond what the others already offered. So I think I'll just be lazy and stick with what I'm used to.

As for Vista, I don't feel the need to upgrade. I'll see how it is next time I buy a new computer. :p

I have been using firefox for a couple of years. Just for kickcs, I did try IE7 and thought it was pretty slow opening up, therefore, I went back to firefox.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
As someone in the tech support business, I have to say that Vista is the Devil!

And tabs are the most overrated "addition" to browsing in the history of the internet.

As someone in the tech support business, I have to say that Vista is the Devil!

And tabs are the most overrated "addition" to browsing in the history of the internet.
LMAO! You're just too much!

As far as Firefox, I've never heard of it. I guess I just don't spend time looking for other programs, IE has always been good enough. I haven't had any problems at all with speed.

Been using firefox for a couple of years now, but i dont use tabs, my buddy will always use tabs when he gets on my computer and it just messes me all up.

Ill get Vista in a year or so when they work out more bugs, i dont need the drama right now.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I use IE7 at home and Firefox 1.5.0.9 at work. Both use tabs.

I frankly like the use of tabs in IE better. Much easier to use either (with tabs) than a non-tabbed browser.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I switched to Firefox not too long ago after it was recommended by someone - might even have been you, uolj. I LOVE IT!!!

I've heard that Vista is best if you buy it already installed into a computer. From what's been said, it can cause problems with some of your existing software. So, if you don't have the disks for all the goodies you've added onto your system over the years, be careful... At least that's what I've read at some of the tech-geek FAQ sites. (No, I'm not a tech-geek, but I do get a newsletter from one that actually speaks non-tech-geek.)

I switched to Firefox not too long ago after it was recommended by someone - might even have been you, uolj. I LOVE IT!!!

I've heard that Vista is best if you buy it already installed into a computer. From what's been said, it can cause problems with some of your existing software. So, if you don't have the disks for all the goodies you've added onto your system over the years, be careful... At least that's what I've read at some of the tech-geek FAQ sites. (No, I'm not a tech-geek, but I do get a newsletter from one that actually speaks non-tech-geek.)
I'd love to get that newsletter. Is it an e-mail newsletter?

Well, from what I've heard just as they were releasing Vista, they had worked out most of the bugs. I expect there may be some, but I'll take the chance. I have an external backup drive so I'm not too worried about losing any important data. I'll be sure to update everything before installation.

I don't believe I'll have too much of a problem though.

SKFFL. I have been running Vista Ultimate on my computer since they officially released it to MSDN subscribers in december. It was hard at first since ATI didn't have good drivers, etc. Once ATI released official drivers I have not experienced any issues.

I use that computer only as a Media Center so I haven't really played with any other apps other than Media Center and my Dvico Fusion HDTV card.

A friend of mine, who has been a computer fanatic since floppy drive days, was so pissed at what Windows Vista did to him that he flat out stopped using PC's and went out and bought a Mac...and that was a significant thing for a longtime PC user like him. He got pissed at the DRM (Digital Rights Managment) that kicked in when he loaded legitimate software on his system (it makes your screen turn into a thin strip, or something like that).

I've been using all three for years (opera, firefox/navigator, and ie)

personally i HATE the new ie
it seems clunky, slow and fragile to me.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've had my new Vista installed since yesterday. I love it, it's really nice looking and I haven't had many problems. Only two that I know of, and yes during install it tells you which programs you might have problems with. Fortunately, it wasn't any that I particularly use at all.

Overall, I am pleased.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I use IE7 at home and Firefox 1.5.0.9 at work. Both use tabs.

I frankly like the use of tabs in IE better. Much easier to use either (with tabs) than a non-tabbed browser.
I finally just switched over to IE at work as well. Yes, it is just a tad bit slower, but the tab implementation is so much better IMHO.