Never-ending idiotic Cousins trade rumors thread

I'm sure it's fan speculation based upon this latest acknowledgement from Cousins that he and John Wall have been talking about playing together. You know how fans then run with things.

They selectively ignored the part where Cousins says he's trying to convince Wall and Bledsoe to join him in Sac while they are trying to convince the two to come to their team. Of course we're going to see more Boogie to Washington or PHX trade rumors than the reverse. Funny thing is, it'd be easier to get Wall or Bledsoe in Sac than Boogie to one of those teams (in a trade) and they'd end up with a better team because it'd take far more to get Boogie than either of the other 2.

I like John Wall but I don't like him that much. Doesn't shoot the rock well enough and can be turnover prone as we saw last night. He is damn fast though.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure it's fan speculation based upon this latest acknowledgement from Cousins that he and John Wall have been talking about playing together. You know how fans then run with things.

They selectively ignored the part where Cousins says he's trying to convince Wall and Bledsoe to join him in Sac while they are trying to convince the two to come to their team. Of course we're going to see more Boogie to Washington or PHX trade rumors than the reverse. Funny thing is, it'd be easier to get Wall or Bledsoe in Sac than Boogie to one of those teams (in a trade) and they'd end up with a better team because it'd take far more to get Boogie than either of the other 2.

I like John Wall but I don't like him that much. Doesn't shoot the rock well enough and can be turnover prone as we saw last night. He is damn fast though.
Very true.

Phoenix would want Booker in any scenario where they get Cousins so I'm guessing the starting asking price for Boogie would be Bledsoe, Chriss, Bender and at least one 1st rounder.

K

KingsFan80

Maybe I am naive but I don't see any way in the world the Kings trade Cousins. He is literally the only bright spot with the franchise.

Maybe I am naive but I don't see any way in the world the Kings trade Cousins. He is literally the only bright spot with the franchise.
if he don't sign an extension this summer or if the team doesn't make some serious noise in the playoffs i could see them trying to move him in the summer. vlade isn't gonna get durantula'd.

I don't think it should be ignored that Cousins made mention several times of those guys coming to Sac and hopefully one day being in a Kings uniform. While neither he or we know what the future holds with regard to him being in Sacramento beyond his current contract, he continues to show loyalty. Most other players would have given a vague answer or not stood up for the team/city they currently play for. But Cuz isn't like that.

My question is this - what win/loss record do we need to have before y'all consider trading Cousins?

Cousins has been tremendously loyal and more than anything i want to see us win with him as our leader, but the longer we wait, the less we'll get for him. If we get a weak trade package or worse, let him walk as a FA, this team will be set back YEARS. He's a generational player and it breaks my heart, but I fear if we wait until the offseason, we're going to have to trade him for whatever scraps Boston wants to throw at us. So that's my question, how many losses do we need to pile up before you die hard Cousin supporters think of letting him go?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My question is this - what win/loss record do we need to have before y'all consider trading Cousins?

Cousins has been tremendously loyal and more than anything i want to see us win with him as our leader, but the longer we wait, the less we'll get for him. If we get a weak trade package or worse, let him walk as a FA, this team will be set back YEARS. He's a generational player and it breaks my heart, but I fear if we wait until the offseason, we're going to have to trade him for whatever scraps Boston wants to throw at us. So that's my question, how many losses do we need to pile up before you die hard Cousin supporters think of letting him go?
#LoyaltyIsLove

I fully intend to be as loyal to Cousins as he has been to this team, this town and the fans. "The longer we wait, the less we'll get for him" is defeatist IMHO.

I will NEVER think of letting him go. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

You asked and I, as a diehard Cousins supporter, gave an honest reply...

dude12

Hall of Famer
Cousins has said nothing about wanting to be traded or leaving. I say stay committed to the big man and see if he can bring home Wall or Bledsoe or other Kentucky Wildcats. If the FO and ownership show stability, keep Joerger, etc....things can change as long as we stay stable.

So that's my question, how many losses do we need to pile up before you die hard Cousin supporters think of letting him go?
You pose the question as if Cousins is the prime reason for the poor W/L record over the years. He isn't.

We "die hard Cousins supporters" are just that because we're not shortsighted and realize the team could be special if they manage to surround him with the right mix of players. Acquiring a player of Cousins caliber is the hardest part in building a team. Elite players don't grow in trees. And most of them aren't lining up to sign here via FA.

The thing that boggles my mind is so many are willing to trade away the type of player we'd be hoping to land in the draft again yet those same people have no confidence in the front office's ability to make sound decisions in the draft due to recent history.

Since an elite level player is already here and seemingly willing to stick around voluntarily, I'd rather search for those easier puzzle pieces to find.

K

KingsFan80

People outside of Kings Fans are quick to jump on the "They should trade Cousins because he is a problem" Train. The problem isn't Cousins, it is the lack of talent around him from the moment he joined this franchise. Tyreke Evans was a decent selection at the time but ever since then its been a train wreck.

I wish the media would focus on the real issue, like write an article about our horrible draft selections rather than paint a picture of him as this awful player who ruins everything because that isn't true. The Kings CAN win with Cousins but he needs help and that isn't on him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Cousins has said nothing about wanting to be traded or leaving. I say stay committed to the big man and see if he can bring home Wall or Bledsoe or other Kentucky Wildcats. If the FO and ownership show stability, keep Joerger, etc....things can change as long as we stay stable.
This is probably the most viable and best scenario the Kings can hope for. Hope he is true to his word, and he has been up to this point, despite "god's plan" and dysfunction and tough it out and continue to make it work until he verbally commits to opt out or request a trade.

I def do not want to trade Cousins....but at this point I just don't see how they are going to build a competitive team around him. Between the restrictions on the picks, no FAs wanting to come here , lack of viable trade pieces and the lack of young talent on this team, this just seems like a team destined to sit at 30-35 wins year in year out while Cousins prime wastes away. As much as it pains me to say this, I think the only team that could offer the Kings some good young talent back in terms of players and picks would be BOS. Something starting with Bradley, Smart, Crowder and Nets pick. Then try and flip Gay for a who knows. This is just really frustrating . New year, new players , new coach and same ol' Kings

As a counter question simply for discussion. If Cousins resigned here, would anyone be unhappy with that outcome? Does anyone simply want Cousins gone for whatever reason?

The path may not be clear to us, nor are all the potential options because we aren't on the phone with GM's or players. Like many have pointed out, we have not had the best luck with drafting and even then the point is to draft a generational talent like DMC. Bird in hand, even if it doesn't sing just the way we want, beats two in the draft that may not ever find a song.

How many quality starters can you count?

2010-11

18Omri CasspiSF6-9225June 22, 1988il1
15DeMarcus CousinsC6-11270August 13, 1990usRUniversity of Kentucky
10Samuel DalembertC6-11255May 10, 1981ht8Seton Hall University
13Tyreke EvansSG6-6220September 19, 1989us1University of Memphis
32Francisco GarciaSF6-7195December 31, 1981do5University of Louisville
20Donte GreeneSF6-11226February 21, 1988de2Syracuse University
9Luther HeadPG6-3185November 26, 1982us5University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
41Darnell JacksonPF6-9253November 7, 1985us2University of Kansas
5Eugene JeterPG5-11175December 2, 1983usRUniversity of Portland
24Carl LandryPF6-9248September 19, 1983us3Purdue University
3Jermaine TaylorSG6-4210December 8, 1986us1University of Central Florida
34Jason ThompsonPF6-11250July 21, 1986us2Rider University
23Marcus ThorntonSG6-4205June 5, 1987us1Louisiana State University
19Beno UdrihPG6-3205July 5, 1982si6
33Hassan WhitesideC7-0265June 13, 1989usRMarshall University
3Antoine Wright

2011-12
No.
Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date Exp College
15DeMarcus CousinsC6-11270August 13, 1990us1University of Kentucky
13Tyreke EvansSG6-6220September 19, 1989us2University of Memphis
7Jimmer FredettePG6-2195February 25, 1989usRBrigham Young University
32Francisco GarciaSF6-7195December 31, 1981do6University of Louisville
20Donte GreenePF6-11226February 21, 1988de3Syracuse University
42Chuck HayesC6-6240June 11, 1983us6University of Kentucky
31J.J. HicksonPF6-9242September 4, 1988us3North Carolina State University
3Tyler HoneycuttSF6-8188July 15, 1990usRUniversity of California, Los Angeles
25Travis OutlawSF6-9210September 18, 1984us8
5John SalmonsSF6-7210December 12, 1979us9University of Miami
22Isaiah ThomasPG5-9185February 7, 1989usRUniversity of Washington
34Jason ThompsonPF6-11250July 21, 1986us3Rider University
23Marcus ThorntonSG6-4205June 5, 1987us2Louisiana State University
33Hassan WhitesideC7-0265June 13, 1989us1Marshall University
55Terrence WilliamsSG6-6220June 28, 1987us2University of Louisville

2012-13
No.
Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date Exp College
45Cole AldrichC6-11250October 31, 1988us2University of Kansas
3Aaron BrooksPG6-0161January 14, 1985us4University of Oregon
15DeMarcus CousinsC6-11270August 13, 1990us2University of Kentucky
0Toney DouglasPG6-2195March 16, 1986us3Florida State University
13Tyreke EvansSG6-6220September 19, 1989us3University of Memphis
7Jimmer FredetteSG6-2195February 25, 1989us1Brigham Young University
32Francisco GarciaSG6-7195December 31, 1981do7University of Louisville
42Chuck HayesC6-6240June 11, 1983us7University of Kentucky
9Tyler HoneycuttSF6-8188July 15, 1990us1University of California, Los Angeles
52James JohnsonSF6-9250February 20, 1987us3Wake Forest University
25Travis OutlawSF6-9210September 18, 1984us9
9Patrick PattersonPF6-9230March 14, 1989us2University of Kentucky
0Thomas RobinsonPF6-10237March 17, 1991usRUniversity of Kansas
5John SalmonsSF6-7210December 12, 1979us10University of Miami
22Isaiah ThomasPG5-9185February 7, 1989us1University of Washington
34Jason ThompsonPF6-11250July 21, 1986us4Rider University
23Marcus ThorntonSG6-4205June 5, 1987us3Louisiana State University

2013-14
No.Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date Exp College
5Quincy AcySF6-7240October 6, 1990us1Baylor University
15DeMarcus CousinsC6-11270August 13, 1990us3University of Kentucky
9Jared CunninghamSG6-4195May 22, 1991us1Oregon State University
30Reggie EvansPF6-8245May 18, 1980us11University of Iowa
7Jimmer FredetteSG6-2195February 25, 1989us2Brigham Young University
8Rudy GaySF6-8230August 17, 1986us7University of Connecticut
33Aaron GrayC7-0270December 7, 1984us6University of Pittsburgh
42Chuck HayesC6-6240June 11, 1983us8University of Kentucky
Orlando JohnsonSG6-5220March 11, 1989us1University of California, Santa Barbara
24Carl LandryPF6-9248September 19, 1983us6Purdue University
33Luc Mbah a MouteSF6-8230September 9, 1986cm5University of California, Los Angeles
3Ray McCallumPG6-3190June 12, 1991usRUniversity of Detroit Mercy
16Ben McLemoreSG6-5195February 11, 1993usRUniversity of Kansas
55Hamady N'DiayeC7-0235January 12, 1987sn2Rutgers University
25Travis OutlawSF6-9210September 18, 1984us10
9Patrick PattersonPF6-9230March 14, 1989us3University of Kentucky
5John SalmonsSF6-7210December 12, 1979us11University of Miami
22Isaiah ThomasPG5-9185February 7, 1989us2University of Washington
34Jason ThompsonPF6-11250July 21, 1986us5Rider University
23Marcus ThorntonSG6-4205June 5, 1987us4Louisiana State University
10Greivis VasquezPG6-6217January 16, 1987ve3University of Maryland
35Royce WhitePF6-8270April 10, 1991usRIowa State University
13Derrick WilliamsSF6-8240May 25, 1991us2University of Arizona

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Here's the thing -- so much of this thinking, and it is incredibly prevalent even in Sacto, let alone among the national boobs, depends on the notion that Cousins is going to walk.

What if he's not? The term "panicking into error" would never be so apt.

It isn't about our W/L record. It's about what it takes for Cousins to not want to leave. He has continued to maintain his desire to stay a King. As long as he is committed to staying, I wouldn't trade him.

And how are the Kings going to get the talent to surround Cousins? FA don't sign here. They couldn't even get ryan anderson to sign. Even with the little talent the Kings get through the draft, the Kings FO and fans themselves have no problem running them out of town. Cousins knows this.

And how are the Kings going to get the talent to surround Cousins? FA don't sign here. They couldn't even get ryan anderson to sign. Even with the little talent the Kings get through the draft, the Kings FO and fans themselves have no problem running them out of town. Cousins knows this.
I really don't know about any of this either.

We couldn't convince a Wes Matthews coming off a season ending Achilles injury to sign here in Sacramento for what would've been a max contract. He took less money to play with an aging Dirk and injury prone Parsons.
Rondo absolutely refused to re-sign with Sacramento had we traded for him... it wasn't until nobody else in the league wanted him, that he actually decided to sign here.
We gave a lot of money to Afflalo, Temple, and Tolliver to come here. None of the 3 are impact players.

I think the only fair FAs we were able to sway over were Darren Collison, Marco Belinelli, and Kosta Koufos.
With DC, we had a big upper-hand with the fact that we were able to promise him the starting job. Belinelli got a little bit more money here than he would've anywhere else. Koufos was just a solid grab.

Does 1 good year undo the horrible last 10 years? I doubt it. Why would any big FAs seriously consider Sacramento? We've been dysfunctional for 10 years. We wouldn't even have a long-term team building block team. Gay, Collison, and McLemore all expire by FA. Cousins would only have 1 year left.

How the hell do we promise FAs that we have a plan moving forward when we'd be gutted, with our best guaranteed players being Afflalo, Koufos, and Cousins?
Lots and lots of wishful thinking. Unless we massively over-pay, nobody is going to come here.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We get a big time FA because we have pieces in place and they want to play with Cousins....such as Wall or Bledsoe. What if you took this current roster and replaced Collison with Wall or Bledsoe? That is a big upgrade. What if Malachi and Bogdanovich become good rotation players who can score.....better than average players. Do the Kings get through to WCS and he becomes what they hoped he would be.

I think most sub-.500 teams play the what if game and this situation where big time FA's don't sign with us is not unique to us. We need one more player at least as good as Gay.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I really don't know about any of this either.

We couldn't convince a Wes Matthews coming off a season ending Achilles injury to sign here in Sacramento for what would've been a max contract. He took less money to play with an aging Dirk and injury prone Parsons.
Rondo absolutely refused to re-sign with Sacramento had we traded for him... it wasn't until nobody else in the league wanted him, that he actually decided to sign here.
We gave a lot of money to Afflalo, Temple, and Tolliver to come here. None of the 3 are impact players.

I think the only fair FAs we were able to sway over were Darren Collison, Marco Belinelli, and Kosta Koufos.
With DC, we had a big upper-hand with the fact that we were able to promise him the starting job. Belinelli got a little bit more money here than he would've anywhere else. Koufos was just a solid grab.

Does 1 good year undo the horrible last 10 years? I doubt it. Why would any big FAs seriously consider Sacramento? We've been dysfunctional for 10 years. We wouldn't even have a long-term team building block team. Gay, Collison, and McLemore all expire by FA. Cousins would only have 1 year left.

How the hell do we promise FAs that we have a plan moving forward when we'd be gutted, with our best guaranteed players being Afflalo, Koufos, and Cousins?
Lots and lots of wishful thinking. Unless we massively over-pay, nobody is going to come here.
Coach and superstar. Its always a good base if its going to be there long term. Obviously for that appeal to work we have to convince Cuz to reup, even just for the 2 year. Then you have a solid season and the pillars of said season coming back. You won't sign Lebron, but you can get into the mix for second (likely only if they know + like Joerger or Cuz) and third tier guys who can envision a role for themselves. Stability does wonders. Then guys aren't signing in on faith, they are able to make predictions about how they'll fit.