NBA to retire #6 league-wide for Bill Russell

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well deserved.

For all the people too young to understand, <insert legend's name here> can have this honor if they win more than 10 rings and contribute off the court the way that Russell did as a civil rights hero. A certain legend who would be #2 for this honor has spoken with complete disdain for any calls for him to be a community leader.

For the people who say there can only be one Jackie Robinson, on top of every other accomplishment Russell broke the color barrier for head coaching. Across all major sports in this country.

We don't have to do this for anyone else. We had to do it for Bill.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Well deserved. BUT...

Does anyone know what will now happen to the number 6 for the Kings that has already been retired for the "Sixth Man"?
I'd imagine nothing. Orlando also has a "6" retired for the Sixth Man, and the 76ers retired Julius Erving's #6, along with Phoenix with Walter Davis, and the Spurs with Avery Johnson. I'm sure they are all grandfathered in.

Entity

Hall of Famer
i think its dumb to retire numbers league wide. do you really think that is what these players would want? nobody to ever see than number on the court again?

i think its dumb to retire numbers league wide. do you really think that is what these players would want? nobody to ever see than number on the court again?
It's not dumb. It's the league's way of recognizing greatness and showing gratitude for those who shaped the game to be what it is today. And, yes, the players do love to see that others recognize their talent and contribution..

And, more than anything, when it comes to people like Bill Russell, and the greats that have passed, it's the league's way to show respect and honor their legacy.

And I am perfectly fine with that.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
it's one player and as long as the bar is set to the impossibly high standard Russell set it will stay one player. The fact that he would probably never ask/expect the honor is just one more part of the legacy he leaves behind.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Right. If another guy wins 10 rings while also being a civil rights legend, I’m also totally fine with the league retiring his jersey but there’s probably only ever going to be one Bill Russell
Look, if a guy wins 9 in a row and gives back to his community in a meaningful way I'm not going to hold it against him for failing to get a ring for both thumbs.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
He won 11 championships in a 13-year career although not 11 consecutive.
Oh I know Bill has 11, just trying to say the bar is so damn high you can knock it down a few pegs and nobody is even coming close. Jordan's 6 in 8 is usually cited as god tier and I remember back then asking, "hey, you guys ever hear of Bill Russell?" (I was in Boston for 4 of those 6 so, I wasn't alone).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think @pdxKingsFan was just making a point that it doesn't matter at the end of the day whether someone has one ring, nine rings, or ten rings...He deserves some (massive) degree of credit just based on his community outreach outside of the game...
It's on court and off court, he set many bars that will likely never be matched in either, but it's the combination that merits this distinct recognition.