NBA Insider on BoJax

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1896236

Jackson's a buried treasure

By Terry Brown
NBA Insider

Peja Stojakovic is upset his best friend left the Kings.

Vince Carter wants out of Toronto. Sam Cassell wants a long overdue raise. And Baron Davis is currently trading insults with the owner of his team.

So you can imagine how mad Bobby Jackson is going to be when he sees this list and realizes he's still not on it.

As preseason camps start, the players in the chart are all slotted to be starting point guards in the NBA, and Jackson isn't one of them.

In fact, if you take a look at every opening-day roster across the league, there will be very little argument that Jackson could start, right now, for at least half the 30 teams.

Add in the fact he made only $2.9 million last year, one season after winning the Sixth Man of the Year Award, and there are even fewer teams who would hold on to their overpaid, spoiled point guard if they had a shot at Jackson.

But here's the rub.

They and Jackson, as it stands now, are going to have to wait another 82 regular-season games plus playoffs before perhaps the fastest player in the NBA becomes available on the free-agent market.

After seven seasons, the last four in Sacramento, Jackson has played behind both Jason Williams and, currently, Mike Bibby, while becoming the best point guard in the NBA not to have a starting spot.

He very well might be the best player in the NBA not to have a starting spot.

Last year, he shared the backcourt with Bibby and averaged 23.7 minutes per game, despite being injured. The year before that, he averaged 28.4 minutes per game when Bibby was injured through the start of the season.

This year ... who knows?

But one thing is for sure – Jackson runs by his defender. He runs around him. On the fast break, the 6-foot-1 guard runs right over his defender, with a full gear to spare.

He doesn't break down defenses. He runs drills around them while they swipe at shadows. But at the same time, he isn't getting any younger, and guys with this type of speed don't live forever.

Jackson already has played in 460 games and missed another 82 due to injury. He is 31. He placed fourth in Sixth Man of the Year voting in 2001, second in 2002 and won it in 2003.

Yet, he doesn't complain. He doesn't make crazy statements to the media or demand trades through his agent.

The fact you don't even know who is agent is tells you all you need to know about a point guard who has averaged 13 points per game off the bench over the last three years.

The sad part, though, is that in those last three years, his body is showing more and more signs of wear and tear. In 2002, he played in 81 games. In 2003, he played in 59 games. In 2003, he played in only 50.

Bobby Jackson faces the fact that, physically, his best basketball might be behind him. He not only should have been a starter last year, but several years ago. But because of circumstances beyond his control, he is still a sub.

Of course, it's hard to blame the Kings.

Bibby, the starter, led the team in scoring during its latest playoff run, averaging 20 points-per-game in addition to 7 assists-per-game on 43-percent shooting from long range.

He hit big shot after big shot and is one of the best point guards in the league.

But Bibby made $9.5 million last year. Over the summer, the Kings cited budget concerns and elected not re-sign fan favorite and lockerroom leader Vlade Divac.

Stojakovic felt betrayed. Chris Webber was dragged into the mix for previous comments. The team built on chemistry and camaraderie is now one divided.

Jackson still doesn't have a starting spot, while Greg Ostertag is one injury to either Webber or Brad Miller from hearing his name in the starting lineup.

It all went down during the summer of 2002.

Bibby was traded to the Kings the season before and helped the team to 61 wins in 2002-03 and what would have been a shot at the franchise's first NBA title if the Kings hadn't lost to the Lakers in seven games in the Western Conference Finals.

Believing that they were on the verge of bigger and better things, the Kings signed Bibby, who would have become an unrestricted free agent after one more season, to a seven-year, $80.5 million deal.

In 2002, Jackson already was under contract through the 2004-05 season, making $13.5 million over five years.

Of course, Bibby's numbers have continued to improve. But is he twice as good per season as Jackson? Is he three times as good, as his salary would indicate?

Or, with starting minutes of his own and an offense to put his signature on, would Jackson's numbers grow at the same rate?

That is the real agony of this situation. As the 2004-05 season begins, Bibby is at the peak of his game, and we still have no idea how good Jackson is.

M

Markezi

Man oh man - that is the main story of the 2005 offseason. Do the Kings find a way to re-sign Bobby? Will that mean being open minded about trading Peja? Working extra hard this season to dump Webber for cap space?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There may be more than money in play on that one. I can easily see Bobby wanting to have a chance to start somewhere and show what he really can do before age catches up with him.

Bricklayer said:
There may be more than money in play on that one. I can easily see Bobby wanting to have a chance to start somewhere and show what he really can do before age catches up with him.
I wonder what people are going to say when the Maloofs have to let Bobby go for luxury tax reasons?? Hey, it already happened with Jimmy and Vlade, of all people...Bobby is next.

Bricklayer

Circa_1985_Fan said:
I wonder what people are going to say when the Maloofs have to let Bobby go for luxury tax reasons?? Hey, it already happened with Jimmy and Vlade, of all people...Bobby is next.
Not the same thing.

Jimmy was never a core member of the Kings, no matter how romaticized he has become around here in the last year. He was on the Kings for a grand total of 6 months. And his presence directly effected two young players who we hoped would be a big part of the future of the Kings. We had shown in 2002 that we could get it done without him, and so in many ways he looked to be a spare piece. A true "luxury". (I would obviously like to have him back right now too, but hindsight as they say is 20/20).

Vlade of course is nearing the end of his playing days, and has faded badly in the last couple of seasons. With his repalcement already on the roster and a desperate need for a player who could provide things he could not (boards/blocks) letting him go was a fairly routine call. The best argument against it was sentimental, not physical.

Bobby should be a different case -- a core member of the squad, and hopefully still near the top of his game. I can still see us letting him go if he is either starting to slip, or looking for a long term mega-deal -- can't be paying a PG $9 million when he's 38 or something -- but we should be very much in the market. Only way I see us being out of it is if its come time to rebuild, in which case you say goodbye to Bobby and go with a younger player with potential.

In any case, we have not to date allowed any of the core players to leave because of the luxury tax. We've dropped big contracts on Chris, Mike, Doug and Brad. No reason to expect us to shy away from Bobby unless he's asking us to pay him more than he's worth into his declining years.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Let be realistc Bobby could start almost anywhere. Infact I would start him over every PG in the NBA EXCEPT KIdd, Bibby, Davis, Miller and maybe Wiliams.

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
Let be realistc Bobby could start almost anywhere. Infact I would start him over every PG in the NBA EXCEPT KIdd, Bibby, Davis, Miller and maybe Wiliams.
I might throw a few other guys on that list just because Bobby is more combo guard than true PG, but I certainly agree that he's probably a Top 10 point. Glad to have him, but I actually do feel a little sorry for him in a way. It will all be good if we finally get that elusive title, but otherwise its got to be frustrating to have all that talent and see lesser players running around getting more minutes, more attention, more money while age slowly creeps on you and your own window to excel slowly closes.

Markezi said:
Man oh man - that is the main story of the 2005 offseason. Do the Kings find a way to re-sign Bobby? Will that mean being open minded about trading Peja? Working extra hard this season to dump Webber for cap space?
The other way to look at is, if the Kings decide that they have to make an in-season move, for whatever reason, is Jackson one of the first guys they'll look at trading because they can't afford $20 million worth of small guards next season?

As for the 2005 offseason, if the Kings don't meet whatever goals they've set internally, aren't they likely to make some significant roster changes? Jackson might be a part of that, given that Bibby is a pretty fair hand himself and significantly younger. Jackson persumably could simply be allowed to leave or involved in some kind of sign-and-trade deal for younger, less expensive players.

I'm not knocking, Bobby; don't get me wrong. He's a tremendous asset. But he's in sort of a Sam Cassell-like situation: It's unfortunate and unfair that he's underpaid given his on-court value, but given his age, it's hard to justify committing X number of years at $10 million per season to him. Obviously, 31 isn't ancient. But he's a small guard who relies on quickness, and there's a risk in discussing a contract that lasts until he's 35 or 36. Plus, he deserves a chance to go somewhere and start, and that's not going to happen as long as Bibby's with the Kings.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
I might throw a few other guys on that list just because Bobby is more combo guard than true PG, but I certainly agree that he's probably a Top 10 point. Glad to have him, but I actually do feel a little sorry for him in a way. It will all be good if we finally get that elusive title, but otherwise its got to be frustrating to have all that talent and see lesser players running around getting more minutes, more attention, more money while age slowly creeps on you and your own window to excel slowly closes.
Yup!

Bricklayer said:
Hopefully he'll be that much more motivated to excel now in the opportunities he does get. And if he wins a title with Sac, I'm sure he'll consider that a greater honor than leading some other team to the lottery.
~~

he can be a starter ... on many teams ...

no need to talk about his offence ... but his D is great too ... and man ... can he jump or what ...

thedofd said:
I'm not knocking, Bobby; don't get me wrong. He's a tremendous asset. But he's in sort of a Sam Cassell-like situation: It's unfortunate and unfair that he's underpaid given his on-court value, but given his age, it's hard to justify committing X number of years at $10 million per season to him. Obviously, 31 isn't ancient. But he's a small guard who relies on quickness, and there's a risk in discussing a contract that lasts until he's 35 or 36. Plus, he deserves a chance to go somewhere and start, and that's not going to happen as long as Bibby's with the Kings.
Pretty much my sentiments, he's pretty much locked up with the Kings for this season and the next if they pick up their option on him, which is very likely. Until then, he's just gotta wait it out. The last thing Bobby needs is a career-ending injury, so you really can't fault him for being cautious about playing injured last season. I'd love to see Bobby end his career in Sac, but it would take a generous contract offer from the Kings to do so IMO, something I think they would ultimately decide against.