[NBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (OCT/NOV)

• Thread starter Yahoo! Sports - NBA -
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's why you get the degree, kids: so you have that backup plan.

Well, at least he's made some good seed money, if he wants to start up his own business.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Jimmer's gonna end up in Europe. Hope he's the type who likes travelling and experiencing new cultures.

And Reke supposedly out for 4-6 weeks after having a 2nd surgery on his knee. Bad for NO, good for us as I see both teams challenging for the final couple playoff spots. With Holiday also on a min restriction through Jan, that's the type of team we have to be ahead of heading into the holidays.

At this rate, Tyreke only has a few good years left in him. Repeated surgeries will likely render him mostly useless as soon as his prime begins to fade. He will decline quickly. Without his athleticism to drive to the hoop, there's not much else he can do out there. His entire game is based on driving to the bucket. Can't shoot, not an exceptional passer, won't be able to defend at a decent enough level... Pels will get his best years (although his best year was with us -- too bad he couldn't work on his weaknesses, he could have been one for the ages).

That's why you get the degree, kids: so you have that backup plan.

Well, at least he's made some good seed money, if he wants to start up his own business.
He got more money than majority of the mortals with PhD get in a life time.
He can retire without looking back after working (unsuccessfully) for 4 years.

Not quite a strong message for kids around need for backup plan if you get drafted.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
He got more money than majority of the mortals with PhD get in a life time.
He can retire without looking back after working (unsuccessfully) for 4 years.
If he's content to live like me, he can retire. This isn't 1955; eight and a half million doesn't go as far as it used to. If Fredette chooses to live an upper middle class lifestyle, he'll run out of money before he's eligible for social security.

Also, PhD's are grossly overrated, at least in terms of earning potential. Most people can earn more money with a Master's. Hell, depending on your line of work, you can probably earn more with just a baccalaureate.

Also, PhD's are grossly overrated, at least in terms of earning potential. Most people can earn more money with a Master's. Hell, depending on your line of work, you can probably earn more with just a baccalaureate.
I knew a guy who used to say that PhD was a better degree, but JD had a better scam.

Does not have to be'55.

In 4 years he got more of money that 200K a year fellow would get working for 40 years (whatever degree) and that is a very solid middle class today.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
  1. That's all well, and to the good, unless you don't expect to die in <40 years. At 200K/yr, he'll make it a little past eligibility for Social Security, before he's out of that NBA money. At 250K/yr, he'd fall a few years short. Who knows what his actual life expectancy is.
  2. And that's just based on him and his wife choosing to live a DINK lifestyle. It doesn't even factor in if they have any children, or putting them through school, much less any potential alimony/child support, if his marriage doesn't work out. Plus, he's religious and I think that people of his faith are about that tithe life.
  3. Also depends on where he chooses to live. 200K goes a lot further in Clayton County, GA, than it does in, say, Orange County, CA.
  4. 200K is really not "very solid middle class." It's about on the lower third of upper middle class.
  5. And, again, he could easily retire if he were willing to live on 50K a year, or even 100K a year. But I'm too cynical to believe that he would be willing to do that. Most humans aren't willing to go backwards in lifestyle.
And, oh yeah. We also forgot taxes...

1. That's all well, and to the good, unless you don't expect to die in <40 years. At 200K/yr, he'll make it a little past eligibility for Social Security, before he's out of that NBA money. At 250K/yr, he'd fall a few years short. Who knows what his actual life expectancy is.
  2. And that's just based on him and his wife choosing to live a DINK lifestyle. It doesn't even factor in if they have any children, or putting them through school, much less any potential alimony/child support, if his marriage doesn't work out. Plus, he's religious and I think that people of his faith are about that tithe life.
  3. Also depends on where he chooses to live. 200K goes a lot further in Clayton County, GA, than it does in, say, Orange County, CA.
  4. 200K is really not "very solid middle class." It's about on the lower third of upper middle class.
  5. And, again, he could easily retire if he were willing to live on 50K a year, or even 100K a year. But I'm too cynical to believe that he would be willing to do that. Most humans aren't willing to go backwards in lifestyle.
And, oh yeah. We also forgot taxes...
Most of the points are valid possibilities what could or could not happen.

Let's not forget the main point of my initial post: His story is not going to (and should not) inspire any kid to get a degree or look for backup plan.

He has a choice that very few folks have, that at age 24 he can live the life of the average middle class family in USA without having to worry about money.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
As someone who has lived on investments on and off I think Jimmer could do it but it's more than likely he can trade on his basketball skills for a while, especially if he is content to live in Utah or somewhere his religion boosts his modest celebrity value.

Also his religion may actually be a reason he would go to Europe, since many LDS do consider themselves on a lifelong mission. If he could bank a few more million over 5-10 years overseas that would greatly enhance his next 30 years to follow.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Fredette's story should inspire kids to go to college, if for no other reason than because it goes to show that your dream job is not promised to you. Fredette actually played an average number of years in the league, all things considered, and he was very fortunate to have been a lottery pick. Most kids who's NBA career paths follow his don't even get the $8M guaranteed money. Kids should absolutely see Fredette as a cautionary tale: it's just dumb luck that he even got drafted as high as he did. Us passing on Kawhi Leonard to draft his is probably the difference between Fredette making $8M in three years, and making $2M in three years. And, let's not forget about the taxes: Fredette probably netted closer to $5M from his NBA earnings, which I would argue is certainly not enough for a twenty-six year-old to retire on.

I would certainly hope that we eventually end up with a lot fewer kids who put all of their eggs in the "Well, I'll just be a lottery pick, and be set for life" basket.

Fredette's story should inspire kids to go to college, if for no other reason than because it goes to show that your dream job is not promised to you. Fredette actually played an average number of years in the league, all things considered, and he was very fortunate to have been a lottery pick. Most kids who's NBA career paths follow his don't even get the $8M guaranteed money. Kids should absolutely see Fredette as a cautionary tale: it's just dumb luck that he even got drafted as high as he did. Us passing on Kawhi Leonard to draft his is probably the difference between Fredette making $8M in three years, and making $2M in three years. And, let's not forget about the taxes: Fredette probably netted closer to $5M from his NBA earnings, which I would argue is certainly not enough for a twenty-six year-old to retire on.

I would certainly hope that we eventually end up with a lot fewer kids who put all of their eggs in the "Well, I'll just be a lottery pick, and be set for life" basket.
I agree with the message and all, but in this case it does not apply. Fredette's story is NOT cautionary tale.
If Fredette was not drafted high, if he did not get his dream job, if he did not earn 8 mil for not being good at his job.... it would not be story of Jimmer Fredette.

Completely separate topic.
5 mil after tax. In my area 200K houses rent for $1500. Buy 20 houses for 4 mil., take 50% off for expenses... you have 15K monthly income which is 180K a year (pre-tax).
...And you still have cool 1 mil for rainy days.
...And being retired does not mean you cannot do stuff here and there doing things you like and get a spare change

If that is not good enough to assume that you will never have to work for money (retire), that is that persons problem.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Disagree strongly. The cautionary tale of Jimmer Fredette is to have a backup plan, because your dream job may not pan out the way you think it will. The only difference between Fredette and Nolan Smith is that Fredette has more stans. It's just dumb luck that Fredette was drafted as high as he was. Most players of his caliber are going to be taken in the late first or early second round, so it would be a fool's errand to think that what happened to him could happen to you.

Disagree strongly. The cautionary tale of Jimmer Fredette is to have a backup plan, because your dream job may not pan out the way you think it will. The only difference between Fredette and Nolan Smith is that Fredette has more stans. It's just dumb luck that Fredette was drafted as high as he was. Most players of his caliber are going to be taken in the late first or early second round, so it would be a fool's errand to think that what happened to him could happen to you.
But now that he have 8 million in his pocket, he can decide to retire from basketball if he wants to and study whatever he wants... there is also great value in having the money available now in terms of invesment options.

The dude is 26 years old- he can do whatever he wants in his life, and he got an eight million headstart... I don't feel bad for him, and I doubt it's a cautionary tale... and Jimmer was going to get drafted in the first round- and that's all that matter- it gives you enough money to take all the financial troubles away.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that I said exactly that in the very first reply to this thread. But, apparently, all people got out of what I said was, "We should feel sorry for Jimmer," which is the opposite of what I've been saying.

There is no cautionary tale with happy ending.
With so many second rounders that fit the cautionary tale, Jimmer's story is almost antithesis for that.

Cautionary tale of Jimmer Fredette

Son, let me tell you story of Jimmer. He left school without backup plan to become professional player. He sucked as a player and only 4 years later he is out of his dream job with 8 mil.

Dad, did you say he made 8 mil while not being good?

Yes son, but he was just damn lucky Kings drafted him high, he easily could have not earned 8 mil, he is out of the job now, pure luck you cannot count on ...

Sure dad, talk to you later, feel like hitting the gym now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's only a 'happy ending' from the sort of absolutist, "I had zero dollars, and now I have eight million dollars" point of view, which I do not subscribe to. If you grew up dreaming of being an NBA star, and you were summarily exposed and dismissed inside of three years, that would not count as a 'happy ending.'

Every loss by the Pelicans this year is a win for the Kings. Doubly so when its a loss where Davis's dependence on decent PG play becomes evident, and they have none.
It was just one game though, and the first game no less against the defending champs with multiple good defenders. Dependent on PG play is one thing, having only one other reliable option (Eric Gordon) is another. The team the Pels are fielding makes our Kings teams of recent years look like all-star squads.

So, it looks like the Mayor does indeed plan to bring Noah off the bench. I may have been wrong about that...
That was quite the ending to the game. I really shouldn't be as antipathetic to the Cavs as I am (negative reaction to ESPN's constant Lebron hype, maybe?) but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Bulls win that.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Was strange seeing Jason Thompson in a Warriors uniform.....and he was the only Warrior that got the DNP-coach's decision. It's going to be too bad for him that he didn't get to stay in Philly as I'm afraid his PT is going to be limited in GS unless injuries happen to some of the GS bigs

dude12

Hall of Famer
That was quite the ending to the game. I really shouldn't be as antipathetic to the Cavs as I am (negative reaction to ESPN's constant Lebron hype, maybe?) but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Bulls win that.
Different coach but once again, I really like the Bulls team. Deep team with talent. Portis didn't even get off the bench and I think he's going to be a heckuva player.

Every loss by the Pelicans this year is a win for the Kings. Doubly so when its a loss where Davis's dependence on decent PG play becomes evident, and they have none.
indeed. i did not like the way anthony davis played against the warriors. he was very passive, and he needlessly turned himself into a jump shooter. there were many opportunities for him to attack the defense, but instead, he settled for contested jumpers. at some point, he's going to need to learn to wear the big boy pants necessary to carry his team, especially given the pelicans' injury history...

Status
Not open for further replies.