[NBA] Comments that don’t warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Guys after LeBron who seemingly had drafts named after them while still in high school, to my recollection (which may be leaky or faulty):

The Dwight Howard Draft
The Greg Oden Draft
The Derrick Rose Draft
The John Wall Draft
The Harrison Barnes Draft (note: he didn't come out after all, only guy to not actually go #1)
The Anthony Davis Draft
The Andrew Wiggins Draft
The Ben Simmons Draft
The Zion Williamson Draft (enthusiasm over Zion went up and down)
The Cade Cunningham Draft
The Victor Wembanyama Draft

Honestly there's a decent amount of disappointment in that list of kids. No out-and-out busts excepting injury cases, but LeBron was a generational player, and none of these guys have so far even come close (by my definition).

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Guys after LeBron who seemingly had drafts named after them while still in high school, to my recollection (which may be leaky or faulty):

The Dwight Howard Draft
The Greg Oden Draft
The Derrick Rose Draft
The John Wall Draft
The Harrison Barnes Draft (note: he didn't come out after all, only guy to not actually go #1)
The Anthony Davis Draft
The Andrew Wiggins Draft
The Ben Simmons Draft
The Zion Williamson Draft (enthusiasm over Zion went up and down)
The Cade Cunningham Draft
The Victor Wembanyama Draft

Honestly there's a decent amount of disappointment in that list of kids. No out-and-out busts excepting injury cases, but LeBron was a generational player, and none of these guys have so far even come close (by my definition).
You left out the guy who won the Euroleague MVP in the season he turned 19. He was in this same category for quite a few of us.

I agree that the title "best prospect since Lebron" has already been used so many times that it's become essentially meaningless. In terms of expectation vs. payoff, almost all of these guys were disappointments (or have been so far).

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
You left out the guy who won the Euroleague MVP in the season he turned 19. He was in this same category for quite a few of us.
For some here, yes, but I don't recall there being anything like a widespread consensus across NBA circles that Doncic would be the #1 pick a full year before his draft, which is what I was going with here. From the moment that Mark Tatum announced the last pick in the 2022 draft, we could have just put Wembanyama's name on the podium and left it there for 2023. Right now it doesn't look to me like there's that kind of consensus on next year's draft, and I don't remember there being anything like that for Doncic either. Certainly he was expected to be a high lottery pick, but consensus #1?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
For some here, yes, but I don't recall there being anything like a widespread consensus across NBA circles that Doncic would be the #1 pick a full year before his draft, which is what I was going with here. From the moment that Mark Tatum announced the last pick in the 2022 draft, we could have just put Wembanyama's name on the podium and left it there for 2023. Right now it doesn't look to me like there's that kind of consensus on next year's draft, and I don't remember there being anything like that for Doncic either. Certainly he was expected to be a high lottery pick, but consensus #1?
There was not the same kind of consensus for Doncic as a #1 so I suppose it wasn't called the Doncic draft but I also think that's only because he played overseas instead of in the US. If he were an American high school student he likely would have attracted enough attention to be the consensus #1. In 19 years of following the draft he was the only guy I ever described as the "best prospect since Lebron" so I felt like he belonged in the conversation.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Harden gonna go back to Houston and absolutely torpedo their rebuilding effort that was already in a precarious position because they lost so many assets trying to surround him with point guards every single season.
How is him being around gonna help ANY of their young guys develop? The only guy on their roster who seems like he’d be a good fit playing off of Harden is Jabari Jr and he’s like their fourth or fifth best prospect.

Harden gonna go back to Houston and absolutely torpedo their rebuilding effort that was already in a precarious position because they lost so many assets trying to surround him with point guards every single season.
How is him being around gonna help ANY of their young guys develop? The only guy on their roster who seems like he’d be a good fit playing off of Harden is Jabari Jr and he’s like their fourth or fifth best prospect.
I mean, I actually think

Harden
Kenyon Martin
Jabari/Tari
Sengun

Actually could work super well. There's a lot of fun things you can do with a Harden-Sengun pairing offensively.

The gigantic elephant in the room is Harden might be the worst back-court partner you could pair with Green in the NBA. KPJ isn't a huge deal since they can get off his money next season if they want.

If I were Houston, I'd go get Austin Reaves and effectively just move Green to the 1 and you just don't run a true PG on the team. You still have plenty of playmaking between him, Reaves and Sengun on the floor.

This is one player that I can’t wait to see retire, just from the sheer dislike I have for him. He just isn’t very good anymore and can’t stay healthy. That being said, what in the world are the Suns doing? Do they even know? Poor Ayton. Begging to be traded for two seasons and they instead trade CP3.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This is one player that I can’t wait to see retire, just from the sheer dislike I have for him. He just isn’t very good anymore and can’t stay healthy. That being said, what in the world are the Suns doing? Do they even know? Poor Ayton. Begging to be traded for two seasons and they instead trade CP3.
It's probably a combo of penny pinching and the fact that NOBODY likes CP3. I can't remember who it was but I just watched a clip on youtube about how CP3 was even annoying his teammates as a rookie, lol. Apparently he's an acquired taste. The Suns just simply dropping talent is a good thing for the Kings though.

It's probably a combo of penny pinching and the fact that NOBODY likes CP3. I can't remember who it was but I just watched a clip on youtube about how CP3 was even annoying his teammates as a rookie, lol. Apparently he's an acquired taste. The Suns just simply dropping talent is a good thing for the Kings though.
especially Chris Paul since the Suns looked best against the Kings when Chris Paul was having 10 assists first quarters and getting Ayton and Landale going. Less so when it was Booker-centric.

I can see where they decided CP was expendable though because they are more a one on one team now with two high level isolation scorers and it may signal they’ll look to trade Ayton as well and look for more floor spacers and defensive minded wings. They don’t need a point guard that handles the ball as much a CP anymore.

I think if Chris Paul wants to make a splash instead of a retirement tour. He’ll avoid the LA teams that will find him in a similar role as he was in PHX post-Durant and go back to New Orleans.

I think Paul would be a massive pickup for the Pelicans and a good fit too.

Also, it would stick it to the Suns since pre-Zion injury it looked like Suns-Pelicans was going to be the grudge match of the season with both games prior to injury having some sort of altercation…

…granted, the altercations were mostly started by Chris Paul himself being a douche

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
unless I misunderstood, his contract is only guaranteed for 15 mil and they are stretching it at 3 mil a year. If they unload Ayton to say Houston, things could get really interesting for them
Ah! It appears that Sportrac does have him listed as having only $15M guaranteed. Hoopshype and BBRef both appear to have steered me wrong on that one. Stretching $15M to save $45M makes a lot more sense than just burning $60M.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
especially Chris Paul since the Suns looked best against the Kings when Chris Paul was having 10 assists first quarters and getting Ayton and Landale going. Less so when it was Booker-centric.

I can see where they decided CP was expendable though because they are more a one on one team now with two high level isolation scorers and it may signal they’ll look to trade Ayton as well and look for more floor spacers and defensive minded wings. They don’t need a point guard that handles the ball as much a CP anymore.

I think if Chris Paul wants to make a splash instead of a retirement tour. He’ll avoid the LA teams that will find him in a similar role as he was in PHX post-Durant and go back to New Orleans.

I think Paul would be a massive pickup for the Pelicans and a good fit too.

Also, it would stick it to the Suns since pre-Zion injury it looked like Suns-Pelicans was going to be the grudge match of the season with both games prior to injury having some sort of altercation…

…granted, the altercations were mostly started by Chris Paul himself being a douche
So they trade their floor spacers for an iso-scorer which makes Chris Paul expendable. Then they fire their coach and waive Chris Paul and now they're looking for floor spacers? The only way this makes sense to me is if the front office knew back in February that they weren't going to keep Chris Paul and Monty Williams had one last playoff run to try and save his job. In that context they've essentially swapped CP3 out for the younger Durant and they still have a big three to build around. The only real flaw in this logic is that Mikal Bridges was an undervalued asset. I will grant that Durant is an all-around better player but is he $50 million a year better? I'm not sure that anyone is. And Bridges still has his prime years ahead of him while Durant is an injury risk.

So they trade their floor spacers for an iso-scorer which makes Chris Paul expendable. Then they fire their coach and waive Chris Paul and now they're looking for floor spacers? The only way this makes sense to me is if the front office knew back in February that they weren't going to keep Chris Paul and Monty Williams had one last playoff run to try and save his job. In that context they've essentially swapped CP3 out for the younger Durant and they still have a big three to build around. The only real flaw in this logic is that Mikal Bridges was an undervalued asset. I will grant that Durant is an all-around better player but is he $50 million a year better? I'm not sure that anyone is. And Bridges still has his prime years ahead of him while Durant is an injury risk.
I didn’t say they were smart lol

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
just look at this clip and that will tell you all you need to know about the individual, Kawhi out of all people who maybe says 5 words all game long.

Interesting trade. Okc is basically done accumulating young talent after this year and will probably shift to packaging all those picks for a big splash over the next few years. Maybe they swing for Luka if Dallas craps out. Jalen Williams, Poku and 8 first rounders

SGA
Luka
Giddey
Other Williams
Chet

they will still have 7 first rounders left after that trade haha

Status
Not open for further replies.