NASCAR, rugby, and Tour de France

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Any NASCAR fans out there? California has a lot of drivers so perhaps a few. I take part in a fantasy league and have done reasonably well. I had never followed the "sport" until 4 years ago so my 98th percentile finish 3 years ago was a fantastic combination of studying and luck. Haven't done so well this year but I am battling back.

Yahoo has a great fantasy league that does more than simply picking the best. Strangely when it comes to fantasy leagues I do terribly at basketball and football, lifelong interests.

I watch a lot of rugby and at this point it just might be my favorite sport. I am a bit of a traitor as my favorite team is the All Blacks and I look forward to them creaming the Ireland side in the Rugby World Cup later this year. :) The Americans are not that bad but will always be limited in the athletes who take part as the best gravitate towards American football.

And finally there is the Tour de France. Looks like the two Americans who might battle it out for the GC win are injured. Too bad. Also having bad luck is last year's winner and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :mad: Andy or Frank Schleck should win. Macht's nichts.

Out of the 22 teams in TDF, 4 are from the United States. The world must tire of our success at just about everything we try. Now we even do well at bike racing started by Greg Lemond who I think lived briefly at Rancho Murietta - could be wrong.

Great to see the Reds beat down the Saders last night and bring the super rugby cup back to Australia.

I would love to be there in the semis of the world cup just for the chance that the Wallabies might knock the all blacks out of there own world cup. They are by far the team to beat

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Great to see the Reds beat down the Saders last night and bring the super rugby cup back to Australia.

I would love to be there in the semis of the world cup just for the chance that the Wallabies might knock the all blacks out of there own world cup. They are by far the team to beat
Southern Hemisphere rivalries are pretty darn serious. Wallabies against All Blacks would be just your typical death match between the two great countries. :) No matter who wins, it's a game not to be missed (although I understand most people don't care. ;) )

haha, most people on this side of the globe most certainly do however rugby league is also followed greatly over here which is what parts of the population primarily follow with union being secondary

Glenn

Hall of Famer
haha, most people on this side of the globe most certainly do however rugby league is also followed greatly over here which is what parts of the population primarily follow with union being secondary
Really? League seems like a sissified version of union. TV around here mainly shows rugby union. Rarely do you see rugby league and occasionally the most bizarre rugby of all, 7s.

All Blacks will live or die with the health of Dan Carter. They are great without him but with him, they are close to unbeatable. Maybe I shouldn't use the word unbeatable. Last WC, Carter was injured and it was disappointing. I started following them when Jonah Lomu arrived on the scene. Lomu was a freak of nature.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
A few days ago Samoa beat the Wallabies convincingly. That is a major upset heading into the WC. Samoa looked very good and I don't know what happened to the Wallabies. As an All Blacks fan, I should be gloating but I am not. This was just a wonderful day for Samoa and something to worry about for Australia.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Jonah Lomu

The best athlete ever???

I don't know as I am not sure how you can rightfully compare athletes from sport to sport and generation to generation. I just have to say something about him. He was bigger than most people especially at the position he played. He played rugby which no one follows and was from the little country of New Zealand. I have seen different measurements of his size but let us say he was about 6'4" or 6'5" and 240 pounds (a bit bigger than Vernon Davis) and the fastest man on the pitch perhaps in the world. He was measured in a 10 meter dash (not 100 meter) and had the fastest time in the world. He was also immensely powerful in an era where weight training was not part of the training regimin. I don't know what weight training would have done for him except the obvious and if you watch this video, you'll see what I mean.

He had kidney troubles and needed a transplant so his career was cut short. But, watch the video and be amazed that the little speedsters couldn't catch him and when they did, he used a stiff arm strong enough to impale them.

I first saw him when I was a good email buddy from a guy who had a minor sports magazine in Sydney whose grandfather incidently had been on the Wallabies. After one specific run where Jonah literally ran over the top of the last defender, we created the term that the guy had been "lomu-ed."

Some people's skills transcend all sports.

I have often wondered where he would play in American football. Perhaps he'd be the featured back as he can go inside or outside. His acceleration is incredible.

At about 3'50' is where the guy gets "lomu-ed." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I absolutely am flabbergasted (a word from antiquity) that no one finds videos of this guy even a bit noteworthy. With the NFL season now an absolute go (yeah, Niners!) imagine him playing in the NFL. This is the Michael Jordan of rugby. He is a Frank Gore with more power and speed. You don't have to understand the sport to appreciate him. Perhaps it's because the only other rugby fan to post is from Australia, eh, mate? ;) Jealous, much? There is another semi-fan who is bugged that O'Driscol isn't this good. :)

I absolutely am flabbergasted (a word from antiquity) that no one finds videos of this guy even a bit noteworthy. With the NFL season now an absolute go (yeah, Niners!) imagine him playing in the NFL. This is the Michael Jordan of rugby. He is a Frank Gore with more power and speed. You don't have to understand the sport to appreciate him.
I thought it was cool and enjoyed the highlights. I had heard of him before only through the movie Invictus. The fact that they made such specific mention of him in a movie where the game itself wasn't the focus of the plot was interesting and a testament to how he affected the game while he was healthy.

I absolutely am flabbergasted (a word from antiquity) that no one finds videos of this guy even a bit noteworthy. With the NFL season now an absolute go (yeah, Niners!) imagine him playing in the NFL. This is the Michael Jordan of rugby. He is a Frank Gore with more power and speed. You don't have to understand the sport to appreciate him. Perhaps it's because the only other rugby fan to post is from Australia, eh, mate? ;) Jealous, much? There is another semi-fan who is bugged that O'Driscol isn't this good. :)
I think the reason people aren't commenting is that people aren't entering the thread. And yes, Lomu was an absolute freak. And I really mean that. An absolute freak of nature who likely won't be seen again in rugby for a long time. Truly spectacular athlete - if you got in his way he didn't have to go around you, he was going through you and there was nothing you (or your three buddies helping you) could do about it.

O'Driscoll is a special player in his own way. He was inspirational for us against Australia. As were many of our players. Sac1989, how do you feel about the Australia/Ireland game? Complacency on your part, or a great Irish performance? Or perhaps a bit of both?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
O'Driscoll had a great game. He's a mini-tank and comes through when needed. I even breathed a sigh of relief when O'Gara came in at the end of the game as Sexton seems rattled by the big stage. I think Ireland prevented the long run like from Beale and Cooper and as difficult as it might be to point a finger at any one facter that decided this match, keeping those two guys in check was crucial. I'd love to hear an Aussie's opinion also although he might not be in the mood.

I remember Samoa beating Australia a couple months ago and didn't know how such a thing could happen even if Australia was having a few of their stars sit out. There may be a confidence problem. Heck I don't know but it's TDOS and I'll discuss anything.

In any case, this was one of the best matches I've seen in awhile but that's because I'm an All Blacks fan and I see Australia as a far bigger threat to them then Ireland. Sorry. :)

Last edited:
H

hellon1

This sucks that we were put in a group of death... like we have any chance against australia - that would be a ridiculous, practically not possible win

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I have a query: when O'Connor was lining up to kick a conversion for the Wallabies, a Springbok ran at him and went past him before he made a move to kick. O'Connor then missed a relatively easy kick. In the NFL this would at least be off side mucho grande. I would think it would be unnerving to the kicker. Might have cost 2 points. Is there a rule covering this?

BTW, I REALLY like Beale.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Well, the chance is coming as the Wallabies play the All Blacks coming up 10/16. What an amazing win over South Africa.

Earlier I said the All Blacks would live and die with Dan Carter but Carter is out for the WC. In steps Piri Weepu and hits 7 out of 8 and is Man of Match. The All Blacks are deep. I'm a Weepu fan and in the run up to this game, Carter's supposed replacement, Slade, was given plenty of chances and failed. Weepu is a seasoned pro and will not crack under pressure. Weepu is a cocky little bastid and can back up his attitude with game. He has been used very little in the WC but I think that was more to save him than a comment on his skill. All Blacks have the luxury of sitting out players to try other guys at different positions.

For the uninitiated, Carter may go down in history as the most prolific kicker in the history of rugby. Just the same, the amount of talent of the All Blacks is amazing.

And while I'm at it writing to myself, Sonny Bill Williams (Sonny Bill?) should be drafted by an NFL team. He played wing (#11) against Argentina, a speed position, yet is 6'3" and 235 pounds with no body fat. Well, maybe 4.5%. He is not a Jonah Lomu but the size at that position is remindful. Could be a middle line backer.

Jonah is hospitalized and is missing the WC in his home country. Won't speculate but he has already had a kidney transplant and this may be bad news. Maybe he will get another kidney as that is possible. What a loss this would be to the rugby world and it's a tragedy he can't see the WC in his home country.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Congrats to the All Blacks on being World Cup Champions and Wallabies for winnng the bronze medal game. The Southern Hemisphere reigns supreme (as usual). :)

Jonah's kidneys have failed again and he is on dialysis. He was hospitalized throughout the World Cup so missed something that was very important to him.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I feel relatively confident that no one from the US gives a rat's behind about the Tour de France what with no American dominating but the next great bicyclist seems to have entered the Tour in a 22 year old Slovakian named Peter Sagan. Women would find him interesting also. :) 1st Tour of course and already has been chatted up by Eddie Merckx who told him he could win this year. #1 You listen to Merckx and #2 winning at this age is unheard of. Tune in a week before the Olympics.

Edit: I am watching on a time delayed basis and just found out Sagan won the stage today. It's always nice to be correct about a rider, eh, Merckx?

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Are any of the folks from England excited that it is very likely an Englishman will win the Tour de France? Disasters occur and it would take a disaster for Wiggins to lose.

Last edited: