Napear and Cousins

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is mainly for us pro-Cousinites out there, but do you view Napear's opinion on his radio show as potentially harmful to Cousins feeling comfortable in re signing here two years from now?

I think a lot underestimate the power of media, and viewpoints coming from him, the leading talk show host in the region, IMO can sway the average Kings fan on the street if they are negative, which in turn can make Cousins less comfortable in how he's being received by the community.

On his radio show I think this year he's toned down the anti-Cousins rhetoric slightly, but there is still the undercurrent that he wouldn't mind if Cousins were moved.

I've noticed a growing backlash on Napear on social media about this, what do you think? Does it matter what Napear says about Cuz on his radio show if it's negative? James Ham on his podcast I believe reported Cousins discontent for Napear's dialogue in one of csnbayareas Kings insiders recent podcast

To me it does matter, and I don't think Napear is objective on the matter still.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This question is mainly for us pro-Cousinites out there, but do you view Napear's opinion on his radio show as potentially harmful to Cousins feeling comfortable in re signing here two years from now?

I think a lot underestimate the power of media, and viewpoints coming from him, the leading talk show host in the region, IMO can sway the average Kings fan on the street if they are negative, which in turn can make Cousins less comfortable in how he's being received by the community.

On his radio show I think this year he's toned down the anti-Cousins rhetoric slightly, but there is still the undercurrent that he wouldn't mind if Cousins were moved.

I've noticed a growing backlash on Napear on social media about this, what do you think? Does it matter what Napear says about Cuz on his radio show if it's negative? James Ham on his podcast I believe reported Cousins discontent for Napear's dialogue in one of csnbayareas Kings insiders recent podcast

To me it does matter, and I don't think Napear is objective on the matter still.
I've tangled with CD about this issue. I consider it borderline treasonous conduct for selfish purposes, and at its height I was a whisker short of getting serious and going after Napear and organizing a Fire Napear movement to harass him and his advertisers. The rabble rousing pitchfork mob inspiring stuff is incredibly damaging, no matter in what field its employed.

To the degree its toned down to just dislike its a fortunate thing for everyone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It shouldnt be the medias job to coddle players. This has been one of the major issues with Cousins and Sacramento. I always hear "well theres a lot more that we will just slide under the rug"?
Ah, the vague innuendo... :rolleyes:

Grant Napear has, over the years, made a point of trying to capitalize off certain players. He did it with Chris Webber, he did it with Bobby Jackson and he's done it with Demarcus Cousins. If he were just a radio talk show host, that would be fine. BUT HE'S NOT. He's a mouthpiece for the organization and, as such, he should have to maintain the same code of loyalty any other employee maintains.

I suspect someone has said something to him recently. I also think the presence of Doug Christie on his show will temper some of his more outrageous commentaries.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Cousins doesn't re-sign because of Napear, then he's weak-minded and won't lead this team anywhere despite his talents.
I'm pretty sure DMC is nowhere near as fixated on Grant Napear as some fans here are. What I'm not sure about is why, at every possible juncture, some fans have to turn this into another way to insult Boogie...

We know how Boogie works by now. If he has no respect for someone, he simply disregards them. Exhibit A, Charles Barkley. Grant Napear is also on that list. He only deals with him in a professional capacity in post game interviews when he has to, but doesn't pay him any mind beyond that.

I don't see it having any impact with regard to his relationship with Sacramento or his future. He recently was asked if he considers Sacramento home. He said yes. Furthermore, one only has to look at how involved he is with this community. He goes to high school football games. He's donated scoreboards and paid for a funeral. He just attended a private event for local law enforcement and members of the community to talk about this ongoing issue with police violence. The guy is very involved here. He doesn't have to be. He's been on record saying that he likes smaller communities such as Sacramento. He seems to really like it here. What Grant Napear thinks about him or says about him doesn't mean a thing.

In the end, none of that guarantees that he'll remain with the Kings organization. But if he leaves, it'll have nothing to do with Grant Napear or his agenda.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, Boogie does think there are some people trying to run him out of town. Who that is I don't know. Could be the Bee or Voisin or Grant. Could just be a grumpy minority owner.

Either way when you have the lead journalist for the local paper and lead play by play announcer inherently perpetuating the negative cousins stance - the national narrative which is shortsighted in its own foundations, it's not good for a small market team and you have to wonder why the hell we're not on the same page

**** that turncoat. does anybody remember him shouting down fans that called in during the maloof era? fans were genuinely concerned calling in. as soon as things went from moving to being staying w/ new owners he changed his tune. screw him. i think he should stay off radio and do strictly play by play. rather hear kayte, doug or bobby talk kings than grant.

It's interesting that the Kings let Grant get away with being the TV play by play guy, in which he's a homer, and having a high profile radio show where he strives to create drama, including at the expense of the team. I've always thought those two roles were in conflict. As knowledgeable as he is, he is not much of an analyzer or a listener. But in Sacramento, his radio show has the numbers.
In seasons past, I can remember him calling Matt Barnes a punk that the Kings should not be interested in. Now he acts like they're best friends and Barnes is the best thing for the Kings since sliced bread. Watch out Matt, he'll turn on you in a heartbeat! Makes me want to puke.

Yes to all.

I've posted on this exact topic multiple times throughout the years.

I believe the national narrative on Cousins HAS been negatively affected by Cuz's own home broadcaster badmouthing him every chance he's gotten, on a local and national level (remember, he badmouths Cuz to the nation/world when he has hosted Jim Rome's show).

I'd be interested in hearing that podcast of Ham's if you can find it again.

Yes to all.

I've posted on this exact topic multiple times throughout the years.

I believe the national narrative on Cousins HAS been negatively affected by Cuz's own home broadcaster badmouthing him every chance he's gotten, on a local and national level (remember, he badmouths Cuz to the nation/world when he has hosted Jim Rome's show).

I'd be interested in hearing that podcast of Ham's if you can find it again.
Fast forward to 24:30 of the Jerry Reynolds interview episode, which is the second to last one as I write this. It's not clear its Napear who he's referring to, although I believe it might be

Stopped listening to Grant the day he lobbed that softball interview to George Maloof after rejecting the orlando arena deal. I can still hear his shaky voice saying it was a bad deal and he agreed with the Maloofs not to take it. Hes a fake Sacramenten who was quite ready to move with the team to any city. He only latched onto the fan movement

(We are nice people and let him join our cause/ Plus having CD by his side whom we all loved helped him a great deal)

when he realized the team would be sold and Seattle had Kevin Callabro waiting to take his job back. That showed me that at heart Grant could NOT care less about Sacramento and its fans.

He's always loved players who brown-nosed him and gave him access (his own ego) and shunned guys who treated him like the nobody that he is.

Had Brick gone thru with plan to go after Grant I'm sure he would have no problem recruiting enough people to join his cause, plenty of people see this as unfair over the top slander towards the best thing thats happend to this franchise since the Webber trade.

For the Cuz is weak-minded if he listens to this group, it is widely documented how today's players read everything. Look at the Warriors, they read and discuss everything and still win. Its no longer being ignored. How would Cuz feel if it came time to re-sign and he saw Grants ratings, heard Grants weasel callers? Would he feel truly welcome? Why would we even want to chance that? For Grant Freakin Napear?

Oh and KD was more involved in OKC then Cuz is involved here, to simply dismiss him leaving because he does some charity work would be absurd.

Fast forward to 24:30 of the Jerry Reynolds interview episode, which is the second to last one as I write this. It's not clear its Napear who he's referring to, although I believe it might be
The podcast is here if anyone wants to hear James Ham's description of Cuz's words.

Ham was describing the emotional scene after the opening night and Demarcus' announcement to the crowd:

"He was overwhelmed by the moment....I asked him in the locker room, "Is Sacramento home for you?"

He said, "Absolutely."

And then, he may have backed that up with, "Unless (Grant Napear) runs me out of town."
This was Cousins being open for a moment, and revealing his desire to stay here in Sacramento..... and he felt like adding unprompted about Grant.

People don't usually say something unbidden unless it's on their mind.

IMO, this was a revealing quote, that Demarcus feels that :
a) Grant actively wants Demarcus off the team <-- anyone who's listened to Grant over the years would respond DUH
and
b) Grant is a threat to Demarcus not staying in Sacramento.

Grant is a loud-mouth on the radio because it sells...and it works. How many threads on here have been dedicated to Napear? Probably the only broadcaster in the league who gets threads dedicated to him monthly on a sports forum.

F

Fora Dragi

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have no problem with Grant voicing his. If Cousin can't separate Grant from ownership well that's too bad for him. I surprised an NBA center even cares what a broadcaster thinks.

I still don't know what Napear said that got Cuz so upset. In any case, yes, but just a tiny bit. And if you voted for Napear just DELETE ME. haha jk

Why do I feel that Napear is going to go on a rant on Cousins end of the game stuff with Randle. Whatever negative about Cousins takes place this guy will magnify it and use it to turn the fanbase against him it seems.

I'm starting to get a little disgusted with Mr. Napear. Although I've always supported him against the folks on this board who think DMC can do no wrong, I had to turn off his show yesterday. He kept saying he didn't want to talk politics, but he kept doing it anyway! I turn that show on specifically not to listen to politics. On top of that, he acted like he was being some impartial political reporter on the issue when it was clear where his political interests lie. I would have no problem with him doing PBP only and having Jason Ross do the drive time show.

F

Fora Dragi

Don't be an ass.

There is NO other organization in the NBA who has its TV crew trashing their star off air like that. None. Zilch.

The entitlement here is Grant's. He thinks he's special.
So he says what he thinks. Good for him. You would rather have a team mouthpiece? Just imagine if boogie were in NY or Philly

Don't be an ass.

There is NO other organization in the NBA who has its TV crew trashing their star off air like that. None. Zilch.

The entitlement here is Grant's. He thinks he's special.

Yes you would know this because you listen to every radio show from every nba market

I consider it borderline treasonous conduct for selfish purposes, and at its height I was a whisker short of getting serious and going after Napear and organizing a Fire Napear movement to harass him and his advertisers
LOL you are hilarious, please go after him, you may learn you are not nearly as important as you think you are, but I sincerely doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.