My name is VF21. I'm a Kings fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hi. My name is VF21 and I'm a Kings fan.

I've been a Kings fan since the day Greg Lukenbill brought the team to town. I've loved the game since 1963 but until that day in 1985 when the Kings stepped on the court in Sacramento for the first time, I rooted for the Boston Celtics. I would transfer my hatred of the Lakers along with my fandom. :p

I was a fan because it was so much fun. The Kings were OURS. We neglected sports fans in Sacramento finally had a team to call our own. Our arena wasn't much but it was ours. The original old barn was drafty, the floors creaked scarily in some areas and there was an aroma in the building I never did figure out. But none of that mattered. It was all about the Kings and the game. The glorious game.

It didn't matter if they won or lost. It was the experience of sitting in the nose bleed seats and cheering until we were hoarse beyond belief for OUR TEAM. We got to know the people we sat next to and formed friendships that have, in some cases, lasted this whole time.

When the new arena was built, we were beyond ecstatic. Yeah, there were still some problems but they were easy to overlook. We came in droves and we set NBA records for attendance sellouts. Still, it didn't matter that much if we won or lost. We were there for the experience. And if we were able to get a free roast beef sandwich from Arby's because the Kings won a home game (on a Tuesday, I think) it was just icing on the cake.

Over the years, we fans grew up and brought our children to the game. And we made sure they learned to love the team as much as we did. You saw lots of Kings gear out and about, and you smiled and nodded at fellow fans and maybe even said a "Go Kings!" as you passed by.

When the Kings started getting good, more fans were drawn to them. I'm not calling them bandwagon fans but they came because of the winning ways, the SI cover, the buzz. That's kind of how it works for the vast majority of fans for any team, so again I'm not belittling anyone. I'm just pointing out that it brought a different POV.

I won't rehash the GOOD TIMES. If you lived through them, I don't need to remind you. If you didn't, nothing I could say could possibly explain the excitement, the electricity, the feeling that the whole damned town was along for the ride. It was an AWESOME time to be a Kings fan.

Then came the slow-at-first decline. The questionable trades, the reduction in salary, the disappointment. The Maloofs lied to us time and time again. They did everything they could to put the final nail in the Kings coffin in Sacramento so they could move the team to a more lucrative market. I will never forgive them or forget their treachery. They can all rot in hell for all I care.

Through all of this, I was still a Kings fan. I couldn't help myself. It's in my DNA at this point. It's in my daughter's DNA and it's in my granddaughters. Some of you know them as the Little Princesses (1 and 2). They are Kings fans to the point their middle names both start with K because "K is for KINGS!" My daughter and son-in-law got married in Reno in Chris Webber jerseys. My mom was a HUGE Bobby Jackson fan and watched every game on TV, even though they got pretty bad. When she died, we found a calendar that had all the Kings games circled on it.

In case you're counting, that's FOUR generations of Kings fans in my family. My Dad passed away in late 1984. He never got to see the Kings play but he would have loved it. He's the one who instilled in me a love of basketball that lasts to this day.

After all the drama of the end of the Maloof era and the uncertainty of the beginning of the Ranadive era, a lot of Kings fans left. I don't blame them at all. It wasn't an option for me, though. I'm not a quitter, I would tell myself. There wasn't much to love at times, but I could almost always find something to feel positive about. I didn't have much choice. It's who I am.

Now, I see reason for hope. I see more and more Kings fans returning to the fold. I see names on here that I haven't seen in a very long time. I suspect they've been around but they haven't been attending the meetings. ;)

I'm hoping more of them will find their way back. Being a Kings fan is a good thing. And there's donuts!

upload_2017-12-18_14-56-5.png

Help yourself to the donuts and some coffee - or your beverage of choice. It's a good time to be a Kings fan even if it is hard.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

I won't rehash the GOOD TIMES. If you lived through them, I don't need to remind you. If you didn't, nothing I could say could possibly explain the excitement, the electricity, the feeling that the whole damned town was along for the ride. It was an AWESOME time to be a Kings fan.
Game 5 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals is, and has been ever since that night, my favorite moment as a Sacramento Kings fan. Not because of that shot. Not only because it was my favorite King of all time, Mike Bibby. Not because it was against the Fakers. But because of what happened right after that shot. I was fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder at that time (well, my dad was the primary name on the account), so we were at that game. The atmosphere in that building was nothing like I've ever experienced at any live event of any kind. Not a single soul sat back down until that final buzzer went off and we took that 3-2 series lead. It was magical. I was sooooooooooo effing excited about the possibility of coming back later that week to Arco Arena (at that time) to watch game 1 of the NBA Finals. I was so excited that I was also worried, because I had finals that week, and I would have had a final (or 2) the day after game 1. I started planning in my head how I was going to go about studying for finals that week to ensure my butt was in my chair for game 1 of the finals.

The above statement from VF21's post accurately describes, in a nutshell, what I was feeling around that time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Says I.

6 days ultra low carb, 1 day refeeds which included 3-4 donuts pretty regularly. Down 90 lbs in one year, of which I've managed to keep all but ~15 or so off over the past 2.5.
activity level must be adequate then if you can afford to put 3-4 donuts in your system. Calories in vs calories out

Going back to what I think was VF21's intentions, I'm Whozit. Born in Sacramento County, raised elsewhere (mostly oversees). Returned to Sacramento County in '85, just in time for the Kings arrival.

Hadn't watched NBA basketball before then but since they were my home team, they were my team. Can't say I was a season ticket holder or anything like that. But since they were my team I watched from a distance. Went to a dozen or so games before I left (they were still claiming sellouts despite the abundance of available tickets).

Followed the team closer after I left. Why am I still a fan? I don't know. Maybe because I don't believe in divorce (in most cases). It would be easier to pick a east coast team in my time zone but I can't or won't despite the convenience.

I guess I'll be a fan until I'm not. Probably dead.

Says I.

6 days ultra low carb, 1 day refeeds which included 3-4 donuts pretty regularly. Down 90 lbs in one year, of which I've managed to keep all but ~15 or so off over the past 2.5.
I gotta lose some lbs too. Got on the court a few weeks ago and these young kids are quicker than ever:eek:. 2018 is the year I get back to being the Mexican Ron Artest again lol.

I became a fan the day they became the Sacramento Kings. Have never not been a fan since then. I did give up going to games at one point, however, as we were bad and every game was just another puncture to my heart. But then came Vlade, Webber and J-Will. The turnaround. And, for what seemed like a decade, we were good. Sometimes great. Those were great times, even with the heartbreaks. Now I'm a fan because it's who I am.

Howdy, my name is eMBarkat10n and I'm a Kings fan.

I'll admit, I was not a Kings fan to begin with. I grew up in the Jordan era. I loved MJ. Therefore, I was a Bulls fan for most of the 90's. As soon as MJ retired the second time around, for good. I knew where my heart was, and trust me when I say this, it bled purple and has never bled a different color. And it never will bleed a different color. A small part of my heart during the Jordan-led Bulls era was still a Kings fan. I went to a few games back then. Those were, honestly, brutal. I actually remember those games were way more brutal than any game I've watched in recent memory. Mitch Richmond was a great player, and he did seem to have a nice cast of guys around him. But we were never able to get anything going. As a matter of fact, we were so bad that, out of a good 10 or so games (probably slightly more but I don't remember) we were fortunate to get tickets to (a huge shout out goes to some awesome Bud and Pepsi reps who gave my dad some sweet tickets, Kings Row 1 being some of them), we only won one game. Just one. Against the Washington Wizards. On a Mitch Richmond buzzer beater. The season prior to Mitch becoming a Washington Wizard himself (I still find that to be very ironic to this day).

As soon as MJ hung em up for good, though. I was all in. C-Webb, Vlade, White Chocolate. Those were some fun times. Jason Williams was probably the most exciting Kings player I've ever watched with my own two eyes. And then came the glory years. I instantly fell in love with Mike Bibby. To this day, he was, is, and will be for a long time, my favorite Kings player of all time. I even have his jersey. I even have a personalized jersey (#10) with my name on it. Peja was awesome to watch. DC was a defensive powerhouse. Bobby J off of the bench was incredible. Hedo was a solid guy. Scotty P coming off of the bench provided instant energy, and he was actually a fun guy to watch play (although he didn't have much of an offensive game, but his energy and defense surely made up for it).

It was also around this time that my dad decided to purchase season tickets. So I was, obviously, able to go to a lot more games than in prior years. What didn't stop at that time, thankfully, were the tickets from the Bud and Pepsi reps. We were very fortunate to be able to sit on Kings Row 1 a few times (even for a few playoff games themselves). Because of my disability, and my use of a wheelchair to travel long distances, we elected to purchase tickets in the very last row of the arena (I do not recall the section number). As a matter of fact, our seats consisted of 4 folding chairs that were put up there next to a row of regular chairs. I always wanted to move down a little, so I could be in the middle of fans. The few times I was able to do so, I felt as if I was a bigger part of the game. Not to say that I never lost my voice from the last row. Or that I never screamed from the top of my lungs from the top row. No, no.....I did all of that and then some. I just enjoyed it a little more when I had a row of fans behind me, a row of fans in front of me, and a row of fans on each side. Major props individually go out to the many elevator guys, and gals, who we were fortunate enough to get to know over those years. One even gave me some binoculars one year around Christmas. Once I started college, and having less and less time to attend Kings games, and more and more time to sink my head in textbooks all night long, we elected to give up our season tickets. That decision was a tough pill to swallow at that time, but our steady decline that began around that time has made it bearable. To an extent. I currently live in Las Vegas, NV, with hopes to one day move back "home". And when I do, I will become a season ticket holder. I can't wait.

Oh, and I can't forget about the Cowbells. I had a cowbell. I took it to every game for a few years after I got one. I probably was the only one at the game with a darn cowbell towards the end, when I decided it was not worth it.

As I said in my earlier comment, Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals, hands down, will always be my most favorite moment as a Kings fan. Until we win it all, of course. That night was special. That game was special. That shot was special. That team was special.

The years since that have definitely been tough. On me. On the city. On the franchise. On all of you. At times, the product on the floor was borderline unbearable to watch. So bad that I questioned my decision to remain a Kings fan. The Maloofs were great owners when they first arrived. I'll give credit where credit is due. I don't think we even reach the Western Conference Finals under different ownership at that time. A lot of what happened in the years that followed made me feel more and more annoyed at them. I couldn't understand their direction. I couldn't understand their motives. And then, towards the end of their ownership of the Kings, it all fell into place. They needed to go. We needed a fresh of breath air to run the team.

Being an Indian myself, I was super stoked when it was announced that Vivek Ranadive, an Indian himself, purchased the Kings. I told my fellow Kings fans the day he purchased the team that we would turn things around. I knew it wasn't going to be easy, and I was willing to stick with it at that time. Sure, he has made some questionable decisions as the owner. But they all do. That's life. He excited me with the Michael Malone hire. I actually had hope for a playoff run under Malone. We all know what happened. George Karl didn't click with me, and I never understood that hire to begin with. And I still don't understand it as I type this message. I am still undecided when it comes to Dave Joerger, but he is slowly growing on me and could very well end up being our solution (although I do think a change will eventually need to take place in order to propel us into serious title contenders...)

I tried to like DeMarcus as a King. I liked him for about 1 full season and maybe about 30-40 games during the next season. And then he grew on my nerves. Was he passionate? I'd be lying if I denied the man's passion for the game. Was he a good basketball player? I'd be lying if I denied his talent. It was the other stuff that annoyed me. The constant whining. The constant technicals. The constant fouls. The constant bonehead plays. All four for no reason whatsoever. I, honestly, remember so many games during his run on the Kings where we were absolutely right in the mix to win a game. And then DeMarcus comes down and does something stupid. Like missing a shot, and then arguing with a ref and receiving a technical. What would happen right after that? He'd come back down, and his game, both offensively and defensively, would be so out of whack, that not even the greatest mastermind in the history of the NBA would be able to come in and save any hope of us winning the game. I got tired of that stuff. It got annoying. It got old. It got....I could go on here, but I think you all get the point.

I was glad we made the move when we did. Could we have gotten more in return? Absolutely. Should we have? Probably. But I was glad we moved DeMarcus. Not because I hate the guy. But because I love THIS team. I do wish DeMarcus well during the duration of his NBA career. And I would love to see him contend for a championship. Heck, win one for us, DeMarcus! But, no matter how well his career ends from this day forth, we made the right move. We had to move on. We had to rebuild using a different approach.

The current roster has shown glimpses of greatness. How great? Only they, and time, will tell. But, trust me Kings fans, at least those of you who have stuck around, when we finally are able to figure things out again, the ride's gonna be fun. And I am looking forward to having each and every single one of you on it with me. And maybe even a cowbell will come along on the ride. A new one, though. The old one broke...

Although brutal at times, it's ALWAYS good to be a Kings fan.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

PS: I apologize for typing up a novel. But I do appreciate each and every single one of you who have read this in its entirety. Your efforts are applauded by me.

Last edited:
I have always loved basketball. Before the Kings came here I was a Warrior fan. The Kings came here when I was 55. A friend from work and I went n together a bought season tickets for 2 seats. I have been a fan and a season ticket holder since then. I was a fan who enjoyed the Kings, I continued to be a fan and I am still a fan. I enjoy the whole ride, everything. The ups and downs f the quality of play, the coaching, the management, the ownership are all part of the game and fanhood. I have never found it hard to be a Kings fan. I enjoy the Kings games.

Just wanted to put my two cents in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you VF21 for posting about your fanhood. Love it. Before finding this thread and reading your post I had already posted my own fanhood experience on the other thread. If it is possible please transfer it here. I’m sorry I couldn’t match your passion n doing so but never-the-less i’m with you.

Im Jerry aka Jkbiker
Its 1993 , Im 40yrs old, never was a Bball fan, but my 12 yr old Daughter was Point Guard on her 6 grade team (was PG thru 4 yrs HS at Loretto)
So I took her to our first Kings Game and I was hooked as a Kings Fan
Mitch,Ltrain,Walt,OP,Spud ahhh those were the days!!
Was eternally hoping for a 30 win season but always kept the faith
Have Had 1/4 to 1/2 Season tickets (upstairs) usually first 4 rows ever since
Was at Utah playoff game with Mitch (Officially to me the LOUDEST game ever)
May 1999

now Im 64, but still get to 1/2 home games, the rest on the TV
Ive seen the ups and downs , but will always be a Kings fan

Im so grateful to my wife who was with Crown Downtown at the City council meetings,
and Mayor Johnson, and everyone else that fought to Keep the Kings Here

Sacramento Proud

Yes I am Proud to be a Kings Fan - forever

Says I.

Congrats on the fat loss!

I eat similarly. Ketogenic with intermittent fasting with reload days 1-2X every week to fuel intense workouts heavy weights and HIIT. I maintain 12% body fat pretty consistently. You don't have to swear off donuts permanently with this approach. You just earn them ;) I have not had donuts in a while, not that I don't love them, but I am more partial to M&Ms Blue Bonnett ice cream. Tostitos and Oreos on my load days. :)

As an aside, and memo to Big Boi fruit is overrated. Fruit is not good for fat loss, does not help you perform in the gym. It does not convert to glycogen and in excess converts to fat. As long as you do not go Homer Simpson, as long as you are training hard, you could argue donuts (timed and earned post-workout ) contribute more to optimal health and fitness than fruit. Fruit locally grown pesticide free hormone free etc is a great source of vitamins minerals and antioxidants but fruit also spikes glucose and insulin and turns off fat burning. Then your glucose falls and creates the sensation of hunger and you are more inclined to reach for carbs. If you avoid fruit you are less inclined to require willpower to overeat.

You are better consuming healthy fats (coconut oil, grass fed butter, EVOO, olives, sardines, avocado, etc) while running net caloric deficit of 10-25% to keep insulin stable, appetite suppressed, brain nourished and anabolic hormones (GH, etc) high. How do you think I pump out so much content on this site? My brain is well-nourished with lots of yummy butter!

I should mention your best load foods are fast carbs and non-fat. Donuts are fast carbs and high fat with the worst kind of fats (trans fats). Same goes for Oreos and ice cream, but hey gotta live a little, right? :) But ideally your re-feed choices are non-fat like Orange Sherbert, fresh bread, pasta, sushi, rice bowl, potato even hard candy like Hot Tamales or Gummy Bears, etc, fast carbs without the fat content.

To bring this to the Kings if you bulk clean you can achieve the body fat of percentage like George Hill (around 7-8%) whereas if you bulk dirty you are more likely to look like Papa G (15-18% body fat). At the same time, a guy like George Hill can afford more fruit. Each game the player is running like 2-3 miles. But unless you have the workout regimen of a professional athlete I don't think fruit does you a lot of good.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks to those of you who have shared your stories thus far. Please keep it up. It helps to know more about the crazy folks who share our passion.

:)

Congrats on the fat loss!

I eat similarly. Ketogenic with intermittent fasting with reload days 1-2X every week to fuel intense workouts heavy weights and HIIT. I maintain 12% body fat pretty consistently. You don't have to swear off donuts permanently with this approach. You just earn them ;) I have not had donuts in a while, not that I don't love them, but I am more partial to M&Ms Blue Bonnett ice cream. Tostitos and Oreos on my load days. :)

As an aside, and memo to Big Boi fruit is overrated. Fruit is not good for fat loss, does not help you perform in the gym. It does not convert to glycogen and in excess converts to fat. As long as you do not go Homer Simpson, as long as you are training hard, you could argue donuts (timed and earned post-workout ) contribute more to optimal health and fitness than fruit. Fruit locally grown pesticide free hormone free etc is a great source of vitamins minerals and antioxidants but fruit also spikes glucose and insulin and turns off fat burning. Then your glucose falls and creates the sensation of hunger and you are more inclined to reach for carbs. If you avoid fruit you are less inclined to require willpower to overeat.

You are better consuming healthy fats (coconut oil, grass fed butter, EVOO, olives, sardines, avocado, etc) while running net caloric deficit of 10-25% to keep insulin stable, appetite suppressed, brain nourished and anabolic hormones (GH, etc) high. How do you think I pump out so much content on this site? My brain is well-nourished with lots of yummy butter!

I should mention your best load foods are fast carbs and non-fat. Donuts are fast carbs and high fat with the worst kind of fats (trans fats). Same goes for Oreos and ice cream, but hey gotta live a little, right? :) But ideally your re-feed choices are non-fat like Orange Sherbert, fresh bread, pasta, sushi, rice bowl, potato even hard candy like Hot Tamales or Gummy Bears, etc, fast carbs without the fat content.

To bring this to the Kings if you bulk clean you can achieve the body fat of percentage like George Hill (around 7-8%) whereas if you bulk dirty you are more likely to look like Papa G (15-18% body fat). At the same time, a guy like George Hill can afford more fruit. Each game the player is running like 2-3 miles. But unless you have the workout regimen of a professional athlete I don't think fruit does you a lot of good.
You have will power :) I have none. I kill myself dietarily, literally eat what/when/how I want (even by body gives out a little at a time and different ailments come up).. The girls can take it or leave it..

As for the topic, born/bred/live in Sactown, and love the game. What can I do? This is the team