Michael Porter Jr

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Draft time is a funny time.

When the Kings had the #7 pick I though Porter could be worth taking a chance on.

Once the Kings landed the #2 pick I wrote him off completely.

His injury history alone was a good enough reason to not want to see the Kings gamble on him. When you add to that his relatively loose handle, his black hole, inefficient chucking style, his tendency to pull up from wherever he is once a defender blocks his path to the rim, indifference on defense, weak lower body that lets him get pushed around, disinterest in crashing the defensive boards or challenging guys at the rim, etc it became easy to say that he shouldn't be part of the conversation at #2.

And I still think those are legitimate criticisms. He has flaws as a prospect and yet if he were healthy all year he might be a consideration at #2 depending on how he played on the NCAA level. If Doncic decides not to come over next year or tries to use leverage to keep the Kings from drafting him then I think Bagley is definitely the pick, but in that scenario I think you at least have to look at Porter again, if only to write him off completely.

And with that mindset I went back and watched a bunch of his tape again. The Hoops Summit game, the Hale/Sierra Canyon game at the Les Schwab Invitational where he had a better game than Bagley, numerous highlight clips etc. And what I saw was the same prospect that I liked more than Jayson Tatum.

That's not to say that Porter will be as successful as Tatum this year, but it made me stop and think about whether I've just been overly critical of Porter because I've seen so much of him. With Tatum it was that he had a very midrange centric game, didn't pass enough, was a good but not great athlete etc but in the right situation he became a guy who would have been ROY in most seasons. It makes me wonder how good a healthy Porter Jr can be in the right situation. And being the go-to scorer on a young team like the Kings could be the right situation.

Again, I'm not advocating for taking Porter #2. He has definite flaws without the medical red flag. But I'm also not convinced that a healthy Porter Jr doesn't have a good shot at being a more successful NBA player than Doncic.

Last edited:
He was in the conversation to be the number 1 overall pick before his injury. You certainly have to look hard at him and evaluate his medical condition.

He also fits a real position of need as a larger wing player.

The injury was a real downer for Porter and his value and anyone who wanted to see what he was capable of. I think he's in the conversation with Doncic and Ayton if he doesn't get hurt. I'm nowhere near qualified to know how his injury will affect him moving forward. Clearly that's the big concern and what makes him quite the wild-card in all this.

I love his fit with this roster if he is healthy.

if we can extract a high price in a trade-down where Porter is definitely available I don't mind it.

also, I'm resigned that it is going to simply be Doncic when the smoke clears.

Porter believes hes the best player in the draft and can't wait to prove it. Hope he's right about that since as mentioned he should be a great fit.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Another player I want to watch a few workouts on to see how far he's come along in his healing and conditioning/strength since the college season ended

I just don’t get the hype people have for this kid and I was low on him before college season started. His McDonald’s game was underwhelming

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don’t get the hype people have for this kid and I was low on him before college season started. His McDonald’s game was underwhelming
He's a 6'10" guy with a great shot, plus athleticism, the ability to score from inside or outside, and enough size, ballhandling, and quickness to rebound the ball and take it end to end on a regular basis.

He's the most polished scorer among the top picks. And while his McDonald's game wasn't one of his best outings (and those games are a no-defense affair anyway), he was still named the MVP.

Going into this NCAA season I had he and Bagley as the best two prospects. I saw Bagley as a guy with more long term potential and Porter as the better player. Too bad his injury derailed a chance to see him at full strength against NCAA competition.

Last edited:
He's a 6'10" guy with a great shot, plus athleticism, the ability to score from inside or outside, and enough size, ballhandling, and quickness to rebound the ball and take it end to end on a regular basis.

He's the most polished scorer among the top picks. And while his McDonald's game wasn't one of his best outings (and those games are a no-defense affair anyway), he was still named the MVP.

Going into this NCAA season I had he and Bagley as the best two prospects. I saw Bagley as a guy with more long term potential and Porter as the better player. Too bad his injury derailed a chance to see him at full strength against NCAA competition.
I wholeheartedly disagree with the ball handling and quickness part he’s poor in both areas.

And his passing might be the worst in the draft

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think his workout's will determine his future in the draft. If he's totally healthy, and performs well in the workouts, he'll probably move up some of the draft boards. I don't pay a lot of attention to chucker rumors when they come from highschool performaces. Most of the top highschool players were the best player on their team, and as a result, they had to carry their team. A lot of bad habits can come from that, or at least bad rumors. The major question is, is he coachable, and if he is, then none of that other stuff applies.

I certainly wouldn't rule him out of the discussion. The Kings have a lot of options right now. I still have this gut feeling that Jaren Jackson is going to be the best player to come out of this draft.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I wholeheartedly disagree with the ball handling and quickness part he’s poor in both areas.

And how exactly do you know this? I've probably watched as much film on him as you have, and almost all of it is highschool, and highschool all star games like the Nike Summit and Jordan Classic. I actually thought that he was an above average athlete, and he didn't do enough passing for me to judge. I thought his ball handling was fine for a 6'10" player. I wasn't expecting him to handle like a guard. I totally regard his college games as irrelevant. He was rusty and out of basketball shape.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

He has a very loose handle that absolutely has to be tightened up. But for a 6'10" kid? It's strange to hear people compliment Bagley's or Jackson Jr's ballhandling but criticize Porter. Compared to a guard or smaller SF then sure, he's not elite but he's average at least. Compared to other kids his height? He's good with room to be better.

He's also fast end to end but he definitely doesn't have a lot of wiggle to his game. It's why he pulls up instead of going by his guy. Part of that is his handle and part of that is stiff hips. But it's not like Doncic can turn the corner on any decent defender either.

His passing is a weird thing. He plays with his head up, he clearly sees the floor and he shows rare flashes of finding guys with nifty passes from a standstill or off the dribble. And yet, he SO often throws up junk instead of moving the ball. To my eyes at least it seems like a mental thing - he's in attack mode even to the detriment of his team at times. Or he's always been able to just rise up and shoot so he's never learned to move the ball like he should. Or he's just an inefficient chucker who will always be a bit of a black hole. Hard to say.

And how exactly do you know this? I've probably watched as much film on him as you have, and almost all of it is highschool, and highschool all star games like the Nike Summit and Jordan Classic. I actually thought that he was an above average athlete, and he didn't do enough passing for me to judge. I thought his ball handling was fine for a 6'10" player. I wasn't expecting him to handle like a guard. I totally regard his college games as irrelevant. He was rusty and out of basketball shape.
Watched the same tape as you just don’t see the player some hype up I’m not taking him over Jackson or Bagley.

Porter has some intriguing tools, but he would be the high risk pick at #2. Let's see how he does in his workouts. But his back injury and his lack of playing against high level competition is troubling.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At #7, I would absolutely take Porter.

If we were to traded back to #4 or #5, then maybe.

No way I would take Porter at #2. Way too many question marks about his health and game.
I really like MPJ, and I'd want to acquire another 1st round pick to draft him.

MPJ is nearly 6'11... his handles are more than acceptable for a guy with that height.
I agree with both of these posts. Not at #2. But in a trade back or by acquiring another pick? Sure.

In the NBA, can you trade after you pick? So Kings take Doncic, and then when Mavs are on the clock at #5 and a healthy Porter is there... we can switch at that point? Or once you pick a guy, are you stuck with him?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In the NBA, can you trade after you pick? So Kings take Doncic, and then when Mavs are on the clock at #5 and a healthy Porter is there... we can switch at that point? Or once you pick a guy, are you stuck with him?
Sure, you can trade after the pick is made. I don't know how often it happens, but there's no rule against it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can, and a lot of those deals are made in advance as contingencies. The Kings could call up the Mavs and say, "if Phoenix takes Ayton, we'll take Doncic and trade him with Shumpert for Harrison Barnes and #5 if our guy is still on the board when you pick."

Sure, you can trade after the pick is made. I don't know how often it happens, but there's no rule against it.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe teams can't make trade or swap picks on draft day. That's why, unlike the NFL, you don't see the team names change on the draft board. They wait until after both teams have selected to announce the transaction.

Also, many teams find themselves in the situation where they can't legally make the trade until after they've used the pick ayway -- to circumvent the Ted Stepien rule.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe teams can't make trade or swap picks on draft day. That's why, unlike the NFL, you don't see the team names change on the draft board. They wait until after both teams have selected to announce the transaction.
You are correct that trades that occur on draft day are not reflected on the board, and that the league waits until after all teams have selected to officially announce the trade, if it is made on draft day.

That does not mean that trades can't be made on draft day. Many, many trades occur on draft day.

Entity

Hall of Famer
You can, and a lot of those deals are made in advance as contingencies. The Kings could call up the Mavs and say, "if Phoenix takes Ayton, we'll take Doncic and trade him with Shumpert for Harrison Barnes and #5 if our guy is still on the board when you pick."
Any reason you say Harrison Barnes?

I'm glad Porter is in the conversation seeing the Donic question has grown old.
Porter is eager to meet with the Kings and prove doubters wrong, and about his handles, I may know little about basketball but I never thought Durants handles looked great still he gets the job done.

Last edited:
Yeah it's like a "If Porter is there at 5, and Doncic is there at 2, we'll trade dudes, and you give us your 2019 pick" Or something to that extent.

It took me awhile to get back to this thread but I agree with the thoughts on his somewhat loose handles for a wing. It is a concern, but he hasn't much of a chance to work on it this year and our guards are both guys that create on their own so on this team I think he'd have time to hone those skills while still contributing. From what little I've watched he has a good IQ and passes the ball very well when he passes. He does get tunnel vision at times but he also makes some nice passes at times so he seems willing.

One thing I like about Porter is his confidence. He's getting a lot of flack for saying that he's the best player in this draft but it's that kind of attitude that is needed on this team. This team is pretty soft and lacks that alpha dog. WCS keeps saying he's an alpha dog but he plays like a teacup poodle. I'd welcome Porter's confidence but not at 2. It would have to involve a trade.

I believe the Bee mentoned Porter would meet with the Kings friday, thought Vlade was in Europe. Any word on when workouts will begin.

Last edited:
You are correct that trades that occur on draft day are not reflected on the board, and that the league waits until after all teams have selected to officially announce the trade, if it is made on draft day.

That does not mean that trades can't be made on draft day. Many, many trades occur on draft day.
Poorly stated by me. Of course trades occur on draft day. They just force the teams to draft the players themselves before approving the trade.