McNeal:Why don't they do it on the road?

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11385209p-12299526c.html

Why don't they do it on the road?

Seattle takes charge from the outset and Sacramento falls hard far from home, again.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, November 11, 2004

SEATTLE - The Seattle SuperSonics defeated the Washington Generals, uh, Kings, 108-78, Wednesday night at KeyArena.Too many times during the course of the evening, on national television, the Kings more closely resembled the losing foils for the legendary Harlem Globetrotters than they did a legitimate NBA team.

That's four losses in five games - all on the road - for the Kings, who have a two-day hiatus before meeting the Phoenix Suns at America West Arena.

Meanwhile, the Sonics (4-1) improved to 3-0 at home and have won four straight games.

By the time this one was over, the Kings' starters sat on the bench and listened to the serenade of the Seattle fans, overjoyed by the performance of their squad.

And it appears adversity is going to be the best teacher when it comes to learning what this Kings team is about.

The Kings shot just 26 of 78 (33 percent) from the field, and they had to improve field-goal accuracy in the second half to get there. The Kings had four assists, five turnovers and shot 27 percent (11 of 41) from the field in the first half, yet trailed by just 14 points.

It sounds like a large margin, but in the NBA, a 14-point margin is overcome every night. However, it wasn't going to be on this night for the Kings. Seattle clearly was the team that displayed confidence in its movements, shots and approach to the game. And it was the veteran Kings who looked like the rag-tag unit.

Center Brad Miller led the Kings with 17 points and nine rebounds. The rest of the starters all struggled at both ends of the court.

After the game, there were far more questions than answers.

"I have no idea," Kings coach Rick Adelman said when asked how his team could go from its dominant victory Tuesday night athomeover Toronto to this travesty of a game against the Sonics. "We talked about how when you go on the road in the Western Conference you'd better be better than this," Adelman said. "And Seattle, what did they shoot - 41.5 percent, and we lose by 30? That's disturbing."

The Sonics put six players in double-figure scoring led by Ray Allen with 20 points, despite a six of 18 shooting performance. Seattle's added boost off the bench came from oft-traveled forward Danny Fortson, who scored 16 points and had 13 rebounds, nine on the offensive end.

The Kings were inept in every phase of the game.

Five games into the season, it's clear that if the Kings shoot poorly from the perimeter, their chances for success are minimal. They will not stop shooting from the outside, and those missed perimeter attempts only made a weak, reactionary step-slow defensive team more ineffective. In addition to playing poorly, the Kings played dumb basketball.

After what seemed like the inevitable late defensive rotation, they would race uncontrollably toward the Sonics' unguarded perimeter shooters and then allow a pump fake and a dribble-drive.

"It's more than the missed shots," said Chris Webber, who made just two of 13 field-goal attempts and scored 11 points. "I just want to make it to the next game. We'll play a Phoenix team that is (once-beaten after an overtime loss Wednesday night in Cleveland), and I'll look forward to getting back on the road and doing that."

"It's more than the missed shots," said Chris Webber, who made just two of 13 field-goal attempts and scored 11 points. "I just want to make it to the next game. We'll play a Phoenix team that is (once-beaten after an overtime loss Wednesday night in Cleveland), and I'll look forward to getting back on the road and doing that."

Haha, this man never stops to amaze me. "It's more than the missed shots" when you go 2 for 13 isn't it ? I thought he was the leader of the team and should take some responsibility in the bad times as well. Now, I agree that it's not only his fault, but horrible shooting and getting owned by Danny Fortson doesn't help either. It's easy to be mad at other teammates and critique them when they don't perform well (see last year's playoffs), but when he doesn't shine "It's not only that..." Why is he such a baby ?

Also, it's great when the coach answers what's wrong as "I have no idea..."

Last edited:
sloter said:

Haha, this man never stops to amaze me. "It's more than the missed shots" when you go 2 for 13 isn't it ? I thought he was the leader of the team and should take some responsibility in the bad times as well. Now, I agree that it's not only his fault, but horrible shooting and getting owned by Danny Fortson doesn't help either. It's easy to be mad at other teammates and critique them when they don't perform well (see last year's playoffs), but when he doesn't shine "It's not only that..." Why is he such a baby ?
::shakes head:: :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that and I didn't see

"It's more than the missed shots, even though I missed shots, but thats ok, becasue I'm Chris Webber and I can miss shots if I want to, but other people can't, becasue I said so, so its all their fault, not mine" said Chris Webber, who made just two of 13 field-goal attempts and scored 11 points. "

piksi

Hall of Famer
sloter said:

Also, it's great when the coach answers what's wrong as "I have no idea..."
At least he did not blame his teammates.

comment to Adelmans statement: I believe him

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sloter said:
Ah, the joys of taking a simple statement from Webber and reading WAY too much into it...

sloter - The whole BLEEPING team, with the possible exception of Miller, looked and played like crap, pure unadulterated crap. How you can single WEbber out from last night's atrocity astounds and confounds me. What about Pedja? Can't he get just a little of that? After all, our "pure shooter" and "two time 3-point shot winner" was on fire last night ... shooting a mind-boggling 7 of 22, meaning he missed 15 shots compared to Webber missing 11. Add to that Mike hitting 2 of 9, Bobby hitting 4 of 15, and bench just pretty much sucking and you have an abysmal offensive performance.

What is Adelman supposed to say to the media right after a game like that? You may not like Adelman or his coaching style, but he is not the type of coach who airs his feelings, dirty linen, etc. in the press. I'm pretty sure he had a lot to say last night - or will the first time the team meets before heading to Phoenix.

This is a team that has a lot of work to do. IMHO, 5 games into the season is only indicative of that one thing: This team has a lot of work to do.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Lamar_Odom said:
As a Laker fan, I just hope the Maloofs are not entertaining bringing on board Phil Jackson.
Bite your tongue. :eek: If they did that, I would personally find a way to get Dr. Kevorkian out of prison to help me off myself. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lamar_Odom said:
As a Laker fan, I just hope the Maloofs are not entertaining bringing on board Phil Jackson.
I don't think the Kings have a player who will meet the "One real super-star already on the team" provision of any Phil Jackson contract...

;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Ah, the joys of taking a simple statement from Webber and reading WAY too much into it...

sloter - The whole BLEEPING team, with the possible exception of Miller, looked and played like crap, pure unadulterated crap. How you can single WEbber out from last night's atrocity astounds and confounds me. What about Pedja? Can't he get just a little of that? After all, our "pure shooter" and "two time 3-point shot winner" was on fire last night ... shooting a mind-boggling 7 of 22, meaning he missed 15 shots compared to Webber missing 11. Add to that Mike hitting 2 of 9, Bobby hitting 4 of 15, and bench just pretty much sucking and you have an abysmal offensive performance.

What is Adelman supposed to say to the media right after a game like that? You may not like Adelman or his coaching style, but he is not the type of coach who airs his feelings, dirty linen, etc. in the press. I'm pretty sure he had a lot to say last night - or will the first time the team meets before heading to Phoenix.

This is a team that has a lot of work to do. IMHO, 5 games into the season is only indicative of that one thing: This team has a lot of work to do.

It was bad but not 7/22. More like 6/14

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi - I have been operating under an erroneous assumption for a long time. :eek:

When looking at the stat lines, I thought FG meant only two-point shots and 3-pt. meant, well, three point shots, So, I added together the two figures from Pedja's stat line last night to come up with the total. Luckily, this error has not affected the statistical calculation for the Prediction game or I'd have three years of corrections to make. ;)

Mea culpa.

VF21, I wasn't singling Webber out for his bad game (I said in another thread, everyone but Miller sucked) - I was singling him out for his comments. A true leader should take some blame on himself personally when "his" team isn't doing well. When has he ever done this ?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sloter - You're reading way too much into his simple statement. AND you have no idea what the question was that predicated it...

What exactly would you have preferred him to say, with the microphone stuck in his face as he was getting ready to face what would undoubtedly be a gloomy plane ride home?

I'm not going to argue about him, because neither of us is going to change our minds. I think you are unfair, however, because you invariably resort to "reading between the lines" to make an assumption about what he "really" meant in a simple statement.

sloter said:
A true leader should take some blame on himself personally when "his" team isn't doing well. When has he ever done this ?
I agree with this completely. However, I also agree that you are reading too much into that comment. He could easily mean that the things he did wrong were more than the missed shots. Just because he fails to take the blame on himself very well doesn't mean he is always passing it off on others.

What frustrates me the most is that the Kings never seem to know what is going on. It is much nicer to be a fan of a team or player who always seems to be on top of things, even if they're not going well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think they knew what was going on Tuesday night.

;)

This was the back-end of their second back-to-back of a brand new season. It was their fourth game away out of 5. They've already logged a lot of travel miles and the season is VERY young. Let's see how they do once they get a couple of home games in a row...

Early predictions by a lot of writers were that it was going to be very hard for teams to win on the road this year. I think that may end up being more true than a lot of people thought to begin with...

sloter said:
Well, knowing Mr. Sensitive that's a lot closer to the interpretation than "Sorry, I had a bad game."
Right. And the last time you heard someone say "Sorry I had a bad game" was...

...when was that exactly? Youth league, maybe?

When I hear Chris Webber - the player who went 2-13 from the field in a humiliating loss - say "it's more that just missed shots," I assume that he means that his game was bad, and it was a lot more than just the 11 shots he missed. It sounds to me like he's commenting on the lack of defense (we gave up 33 in the first quarter), the lack of execution, and the lack of intensity.

I don't understand how you hear that and assume that he's shifting the blame in any way. It sounds to me that he's accepting blame, not only for his poor shooting, but the overall pissy play of the entire team. But if you want to think that Chris Webber is the NBA's version of Budweiser's Leon, then go right ahead and think that. Everyone needs a villian.