McNeal: Daniels could be surprise for Kings

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11220223p-12135956c.html

Daniels could be surprise for Kings

The rookie free agent offers versatility, most prominently with his ballhandling skills.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, October 26, 2004

At 6-foot-8, Erik Daniels looks surprisingly comfortable handling the ball. That becomes more understandable when you find out he played point guard in high school, where he grew from 5-10 as a freshman to 6-6 as a senior.

Then again, shouldn't a guy born April 1 be able to pull off a trick or two? Quite likely, the biggest eye-opener would be Daniels making the Kings' roster after joining the team as a rookie free agent.

He already has surprised some observers by hanging with the Kings this long. Whether he can survive the cutdown deadline at 3 p.m. next Monday remains to be seen, but Daniels knows the situation.

"It's a big thing for me to make it another day and have another chance to come out and make this team," said Daniels, 22, a former Kentucky standout who last season was named to the coaches' All-Southeastern Conference first team.

Daniels seemingly does nothing exceptionally well. The closest thing probably would be the ballhandling skills he said he has had since his prep career in Cincinnati. Daniels, however, can do a little bit of everything from multiple positions on the floor.

He played center most of his senior year at Kentucky. He's probably a natural small forward, and during most of training camp, he experienced what it's like to play against one of the world's best long-distance shooters, Peja Stojakovic.

Most recently, Daniels has received more playing time at power forward. Daniels, who is listed at 214 pounds, said he would have no problem going against players 35 to 40 pounds heavier.

"I have to use my quickness because the guys I'm guarding are bigger than me," Daniels said. "But I can use my quickness, and it's hard for them to guard me. I'm comfortable with the ball because I've been a point guard my whole life until I got to college."

Playing around the basket in college is coming in handy now, Daniels said.

"We didn't have a lot of big guys, so I played a lot of center," Daniels said. "I learned how to bang against the big guys inside, and that's good because you don't get a lot of chances to do that playing on the perimeter."

From the outside, he gets to chase the likes of Stojakovic.

"He's the best shooter I've ever seen," Daniels said. "All he needs is a little bit of room. He can handle the ball well enough to get his shot, and he uses all kinds of different shapes to get it off. I've had him behind the backboard, and it didn't mean anything.

"He's the toughest guy I've ever tried to play coming off a screen because you don't know what he's going to do. He'll pull up or drive, and he's 6-10, so you're not going to block his shot."

The Kings have noticed Daniels' versatility.

"He's a good basketball player," coach Rick Adelman said. "He knows how to play the game. He's a very good passer. He needs to improve his shooting, and he's had some problems defending out on the perimeter. I think he's been more effective playing (power forward). I know every time I've played him, he's done a good job."

Daniels also hopes to take advantage of his academic skills. He needs to complete about 30 more hours for his Bachelor of Science degree in kinesiology. "I'm going back to get that," he said, "because I'm going to keep hearing my moms' mouth until I've got it."

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Seriously I realy like this guy. He is no flash but he IS fearless out there, runs the floor well and is very very quick, so learing how to chase down pesky Sf and SG's will not be that hard for him. He and Fergy both are fine examples of why the NBA could use use as AAA farm leage. Neither of them are ready for the NBA right now but they both have some ood skills, good attitudes and might dvelop into good players, or they might not. It would be nice to find out with out giving up an important roster spot.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Daniels is the kind of blue coller palyer it's hard to appreciate untill you watch how he plays for a while. Guys like Flash are easy to love, but lets hear it for pugs and pit bulls!

HndsmCelt said:
Daniels is the kind of blue coller palyer it's hard to appreciate untill you watch how he plays for a while. Guys like Flash are easy to love, but lets hear it for pugs and pit bulls!
You need your role players, who know they are role players.

SacKings384 said:
Flash=Kevin Martin

Daniels almost brings the same feel to the court as another young Daniels who plays for the Mavs; Marquis. Whether or not Erik makes the squad in battling quite a few people for a bench 2/3 spot has yet to be seen.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Daniels brings in the CWebb type of attitude of hustle, bang and let it hang out every game (tho' I 'm not sure CWebb does that himself, at least not EVERY game). He is a really good dribbler in traffic and has 4 years of a good school (Kentucky) in a good conference (SEC) under his belt. In summer league, he led the Kings team in rebounding several times with 10+ Thursday night game should see him on court a bit likely at PF. Now if Alexander can play we pundits can narrow down who will stay, eh?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've heard some good things from the people who've watched him...

Daniels also hopes to take advantage of his academic skills. He needs to complete about 30 more hours for his Bachelor of Science degree in kinesiology. "I'm going back to get that," he said, "because I'm going to keep hearing my moms' mouth until I've got it."
AND he listens to his momma. I like that. :D

BTW, "kinesiology" is...

Kinesiology (from the Greek words "KINEIN", to move, and "LOGOS", to study) is the scientific study of movement. The primary aims of Kinesiology are:
understanding the human body's physiological and psychological responses to acute short-term physical activity,
understanding the various adaptations of the human body to chronic or long-term physical activity,
understanding the cultural, social, and historical importance or physical activity,
understanding the mechanical qualities of movement,
understanding the processes that control movement and the factors that affect the acquistion of motor skills, and
understanding the psychological effects of physical activity on human behavior.

To achieve these aims, research in Kinesiology requires the use of a variety of scientific knowledge and research techniques from such fields as biology, chemistry, history, physics, psychology, and sociology. The areas of investigation within Kinesiology are quite extensive because the responses of the human body to physical activity can be examined at many levels (from cellular to whole society).

A Knowledge base in Kinesiology provides professional preparation for careers in fitness-related industries, athletic training, teaching and coaching, and health related fields such as physical therapy.
http://www.ksu.edu/kines/

This guy sounds like he's cut from the same cloth as Malik Rose and Eddie Najera, both guys who give CWebb trouble, but I don't know if either of them give KG or Duncan trouble. Still, it'd be nice to have a guy like that off the bench if the Kings didn't already have Songaila, and he might stick for a bit depending on Ostertag's injury.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kind of reminds me more of a George Lynch type player...except less talented. :eek:

Anyway, I could see him making the team now as kind of the ultimate utility guy -- play 4 positions, functionally be that 5th "big man" as well as a deep bakcup SF (but not the primary one). Just a utility infielder 12th man.

Thing is -- he's really not good enough to be in the NBA right now. Does no one thing great. Has no real impact. Nothing to hold onto. If you have a deep team with reasonable depth, I don't think Daniels makes it. But if you're shallow he might have a shot. Seems to be a smart if modestly talented player. And maybe if he hangs around and works hard he can find a niche.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Bricklayer said:
Kind of reminds me more of a George Lynch type player...except less talented.

:eek: indeed... anybody that can be described as a "poor man's George Lynch" needs to get out of the league while he knows what's good for him...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Kind of reminds me more of a George Lynch type player...except less talented. :eek:

Anyway, I could see him making the team now as kind of the ultimate utility guy -- play 4 positions, functionally be that 5th "big man" as well as a deep bakcup SF (but not the primary one). Just a utility infielder 12th man.

Thing is -- he's really not good enough to be in the NBA right now. Does no one thing great. Has no real impact. Nothing to hold onto. If you have a deep team with reasonable depth, I don't think Daniels makes it. But if you're shallow he might have a shot. Seems to be a smart if modestly talented player. And maybe if he hangs around and works hard he can find a niche.
You at least have to give him credit for the Fro! Imagine how tough the Kings wil look with Daniels Fro at the end of the bench.

I don't think we have seen all that Daniels can do, he would fit in great with the Kings, he's a great passer, can rebound, and is not too bad of a scorer, the most minutes he's played this pre-season were 17 and he put up 6,3,3, on 3-6 shooting, I hope Adelman gives him alot more minutes on Thursday, everyone already knows Barnes is going to make the team so let Barnes sit out a game, and give Daniels a chance.
He'd be a good guy to have as a Sf/Pf.