Marvin Bagley out for remainder of Summer League

gunks

Hall of Famer
Bummer, was hoping he'd get a chance to redeem himself!

Ah well, he'll look better playing with Fox in preseason anyways. In the meantime, we can get hyped over Giles!

gunks

Hall of Famer
Did he not redeem himself with his really strong game against Ayton?
The game where he went 38 percent from the field to Ayton's 71 percent and nearly got doubled up on rebounds (7 to 12)? I dunno if I'd call that "really strong". Plucky, maybe!

Not to discount 15/7 with 7 trips to the line.

Last edited:
The game where he went 38 percent from the field to Ayton's 71 percent and nearly got doubled up on rebounds (7 to 12)? Nah, my expectations are a bit higher than that.

I suppose 15/7 with 7 trips to the line wasn't a total stinker, but it's hardly impressive.
Ayton padded his stats once Bagley went off injured. Marvin definitely matched Ayton's play while he was on.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The game where he went 38 percent from the field to Ayton's 71 percent and nearly got doubled up on rebounds (7 to 12)? Nah, my expectations are a bit higher than that.

I suppose 15/7 with 7 trips to the line wasn't a total stinker, but it's hardly impressive.
Did you watch the game? Their scoring output was even until garbage time after Bagley got injured, Bagley put together the better defensive effort, and he had several Giannis-esque, 6'11" man gallops up the court like a point guard plays.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Yes, Bagley had some nice deflections and hustle plays that didn't show up in the stat sheet. I just didn't think it was a "wow" game or anything.

He also had his soul stolen by Jackson when he got stuffed (it happens)! Haha

The kid is raw, and has been very inconsistent this summer, but I'm still looking forward to seeing him play more and think he's gonna do great things (it just might take him a season or two to get there, just like Fox).

I guess I just have high expectations for a #2 pick in a strong draft. Is that fair? Probably not, especially in guard dominated summer league.

The game where he went 38 percent from the field to Ayton's 71 percent and nearly got doubled up on rebounds (7 to 12)? I dunno if I'd call that "really strong". Plucky, maybe!

Not to discount 15/7 with 7 trips to the line.
Let’s face it Bagley has struggled to shoot and hasn’t rebounded with the ferocity people hoped. Right now he has a long way to go.

He’s a determined young man so we shall see

Yes, Bagley had some nice deflections and hustle plays that didn't show up in the stat sheet. I just didn't think it was a "wow" game or anything.

He also had his soul stolen by Jackson when he got stuffed (it happens)! Haha

The kid is raw, and has been very inconsistent this summer, but I'm still looking forward to seeing him play more and think he's gonna do great things (it just might take him a season or two to get there, just like Fox).

I guess I just have high expectations for a #2 pick in a strong draft. Is that fair? Probably not, especially in guard dominated summer league.
The question is who will be the best player in 3 years not 1. We shall see with Bagley.

Not to mention if the question was who is the best player from the 2018 draft thus far, the answer would wind up being Kevin Knox who was picked 9th.
I'd say it's Ayton. He's getting serious hate just because he was playing with GLeague guards who couldn't give him a simple entry pass. Our bigs did a great job fighting for position, but if he was actually fed the ball, then I don't think it would fair well with either Giles or Bagley.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm glad it's nothing serious. He can be back working out getting stronger and working on his game in no time. After experiencing summer league and getting a little taste of professional competition I think he knows what he needs to work on for the duration of the summer until training camp begins. It's all good.