Mario Hezonja?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Jones speculated that they could be giving the former #5 pick a good look this offseason, thanks to his boost in productivity and (figurative) upside.

Link: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article203194834.html

I'm not very high on him for a number of reasons, but what's everyone's thoughts on Mario as a potential FA signing?
He will get a little bump over the mid level exemption at around 8. I think he would be a good fit on the Kings with some upside.

Jackson isn’t close to a sure thing. If you can get Hezonja you should and play who earns it next year.

Of we somehow end up with Ayton then Hezjona would be a priority as the best available option to fill the SF spot and his offensive game fits the kings well.

If we end up with Doncic or Porter or one of the Bridges, then Hezjona become more of a luxury if we can get him at a reasonable price. It would be fun to see some small ball lineups with Hezjona and rookie SF Buddy Bogs lurking at the 3pt line as Fox drives down the lane.

Edit: if we draft any big guy (Bamba growing on people) then Hezonja would be a priority id think

Last edited:
Of we somehow end up with Ayton then Hezjona would be a priority as the best available option to fill the SF spot and his offensive game fits the kings well.

If we end up with Doncic or Porter or one of the Bridges, then Hezjona become more of a luxury if we can get him at a reasonable price. It would be fun to see some small ball lineups with Hezjona and rookie SF Buddy Bogs lurking at the 3pt line as Fox drives down the lane.
I would agree if we end up with Doncic or the Bridges. Porter may be best at the 4 also.

One thing to keep in mind is Hezonja came to Orlando with no support system or other Euro’s on the team. That’s a pretty tough transition. Bogs had many more people to relate to and support him in the transition. I think Hezonja could turn out to be a real good get for us.

Hezonja fits in perfectly with Fox and Bogdan and hes very young.

-Great shooter
-Good in pick and roll
-Great off ball
-Great for versatility
-Team friendly game

21 games since January 2nd he’s averaging 12.7ppg- 5rpb- 47% shooting 36.7% from 3
In his 5 straight starts in February he averaged 17ppg. At 22 he’ll only get better and better especially for a guy who didn’t get a lot of nba minutes.

Interestingly enough, Mario is only about a month older than Jackson
That's not the point I was making. Jackson is under team control for 3 seasons more under the rookie scale while Hezonja would command more money for less years. Furthermore I think Jackson is going to be a much better player.

Hezonja is solid and we should bring him in, i have no doubt he will flourish here. All depends who we draft. Hezonja takes the SF spot if and when we take Ayton

That's not the point I was making. Jackson is under team control for 3 seasons more under the rookie scale while Hezonja would command more money for less years. Furthermore I think Jackson is going to be a much better player.
With all due respects Hezonja is a lot more talented player than Jackson. A better shooter and more versatile as of right now.

Coming through the underage ranks in Europe, Hezonja was widely considered to be a much more talented player than Bogdanovic and as much as I love Bogdan, Mario has a higher ceiling that Bogdan does and is a better player than Bogdan was at the same age.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
he's been underwhelming since entering the league considering where he was drafted. I don't know if his play or late is an enigma or not but I haven't been a fan of him since he's entered the league. Vlade having interest isn't a surprise in the least. He's trying to build an all Euro team apparently.

he's been underwhelming since entering the league considering where he was drafted. I don't know if his play or late is an enigma or not but I haven't been a fan of him since he's entered the league. Vlade having interest isn't a surprise in the least. He's trying to build an all Euro team apparently.
We have 1 euro on the team. Anyways I stick by my opinion that Jackson is going to be better than Hezonja.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We have 1 euro on the team. Anyways I stick by my opinion that Jackson is going to be better than Hezonja.
Drafted Papa. Showed interest in Porzingis prior to the draft. Expresses interest in Mario. It's no secret Vlade wants to try to rebuild the Kings team of old, which is wishful thinking but I understand, considering his lack of experience with constructing a team.

Drafted Papa. Showed interest in Porzingis prior to the draft. Expresses interest in Mario. It's no secret Vlade wants to try to rebuild the Kings team of old, which is wishful thinking but I understand, considering his lack of experience with constructing a team.
He's trying to rebuild the old kings how?

Right now, I'd argue that both Jackson and Hezonja aren't NBA rotation players (with the caveat around Hezonja's recent signs of life, which still haven't resulted in good efficiency nor winning basketball), but I'd argue that Hezonja isn't worth the effort looking at the stats alone:

- His shooting accuracy is still below average-to-poor from the 3P land compared to other wings - and he was drafted with the promise of being an athletic shooter. For a team that needs to space the floor (Fox will still likely not be a good shooter next year), this is a mark.
- He's still not good at drawing fouls and is a below average rebounder for a wing, especially considering his height. Consider this team has weakness in both of those areas, this would only add to the effect.

Qualitatively, he had a bad reputation coming into the league (work ethic, behavior, off court habits), and this continued across multiple coaches. He's also been knocked for his lack of basketball IQ both before and after being drafted. There's some good film analysis out there that covers both time periods.

If I were, say, a franchise with a bit more stability and minutes available if earned, I'd maybe take a one-year flyer on Hezonja given his recent improvement. But when you're a franchise like the Kings, and you have glaring weaknesses in statistical areas and a lot of other players needing close watch/development, it's simply not a good mix. I'm all for buying low and selling high (and really hope we don't start dumpster diving again like we did under the waning Maloof years), but I'd do a hard pass on this guy.

Getting a chance to see him in person last night, I can’t say Mario impressed me much. I realize it’s one game, and he’s still young, but last nights game was there for the taking and really only Simmons stepped up on the Magic side.

I will say, having seen him in person now, that I retract my statements about him playing PF. He’s deinfiely a SF. Positions are about who you can guard, anyway, and he was actually guarding Bogi a good amount.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bringing in shooters, players with good character, drafting a defensive center and now having the coach use him in the high post, drafting two athletic PFs with the potential to be decent to solid passers. Point is, shooting and passing is what I see with the acquisitions since his hire.
So my question to you would be, what is wrong with that. What your describing is what just about every team in the NBA is trying to do right now. The old Kings were one of the first to do it, but the Warriors, the Spurs, the Rockets, etc. are all emulating, to some extent, the old Kings. Back courts are dominating in the NBA right now. There's a premium on wing players that can handle, pass, and shoot, and do so unselfishly. The same thing to a lesser extent is being asked of frontcourt players.

You seem to be painting a picture of Vlade being incapable, because he's trying to build a team based on the same principles of current successful teams. He's not trying to bring back Webber or Peja, but he is trying to emulate a winning formula. How successful he'll be is up for grabs, but there's nothing wrong with the path he's on.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Getting a chance to see him in person last night, I can’t say Mario impressed me much. I realize it’s one game, and he’s still young, but last nights game was there for the taking and really only Simmons stepped up on the Magic side.

I will say, having seen him in person now, that I retract my statements about him playing PF. He’s deinfiely a SF. Positions are about who you can guard, anyway, and he was actually guarding Bogi a good amount.
It would be interesting to see Hezonja in a more disciplined system. The magic looked like they were playing a catch as catch can offense. I thought Hezonja defended fairly well in the game. I also thought the form on his jumper looked pretty good, although he seemed to rush his shot a little at times. To be fair, I haven't seen him play enough to pass judgement on him. I still think he should be one of our targets in the offseason, depending on what we do in the draft.

For instance, if we were to draft Michael Porter, or Mikal Bridges, then I would see less urgency at pursuing Hezonja, unless he came at a price I couldn't refuse. I do believe that competition brings out the best in people. You either reach out and grab the brass ring, or you fall off the horse.

Jackson isn’t on Hezonja level
What level is that again? Justin may not be spectacular but you can tell he has been well coached and doesn't make bone headed plays. He can grow into a real solid contributer for this team as a reserve or starter depending on what happens this draft. I can think of much better ways to spend money than Hezonja.

Was at the game last night, did anyone else think he was pretty much ignored by his team mates in the 1st half? Is he not popular ? saw very few passes to him, he seemed disinterested just floating back and forth accross the court, no passing to him, no shot attempts, only 2 pts in first half, no energy or effort. Not sure I would want him in a Kings Uniform.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Was at the game last night, did anyone else think he was pretty much ignored by his team mates in the 1st half? Is he not popular ? saw very few passes to him, he seemed disinterested just floating back and forth accross the court, no passing to him, no shot attempts, only 2 pts in first half, no energy or effort. Not sure I would want him in a Kings Uniform.
To be honest, I didn't see a lot of energy from anyone on that Magic team. I found it interesting that in the post game interview, Cooley said that when he came into the game, the opposing player asked him if he was going to go. I'm assuming that's code for play hard. And Cooley said yes, that's the only way he knows how to play. But if true, that speaks volumes about the attitude of the Magic team. Not the best environment to be playing in.

What level is that again? Justin may not be spectacular but you can tell he has been well coached and doesn't make bone headed plays. He can grow into a real solid contributer for this team as a reserve or starter depending on what happens this draft. I can think of much better ways to spend money than Hezonja.
Name the better ways to spend money?

And we can have both players on are team no problem

I was there last night and on the first play Mario stood there and watched us lay the ball up. I said "who the hell is number 8, damn he's trying to tank". Then I realized it was Mario Hezonja and I was flabbergasted that anybody would ever be interested in having this guy on their team.

Wish I'd seen him play well when he was younger or before he just gave up on life.

Looks like a complete turd to me - rather have Justin. Just sooo bad.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
So my question to you would be, what is wrong with that. What your describing is what just about every team in the NBA is trying to do right now. The old Kings were one of the first to do it, but the Warriors, the Spurs, the Rockets, etc. are all emulating, to some extent, the old Kings. Back courts are dominating in the NBA right now. There's a premium on wing players that can handle, pass, and shoot, and do so unselfishly. The same thing to a lesser extent is being asked of frontcourt players.

You seem to be painting a picture of Vlade being incapable, because he's trying to build a team based on the same principles of current successful teams. He's not trying to bring back Webber or Peja, but he is trying to emulate a winning formula. How successful he'll be is up for grabs, but there's nothing wrong with the path he's on.
You misread my point. I'm not stating that it's a bad approach, but trying to acquire shooting and passing only won't get it done. You need defense and you need rebounding. You need grit and you need heart. I don't have a lot of hope that Vlade can build a team that can make the playoffs but that's a conversation for another day. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.