Malone on Casspi and Williams

Who would you give minutes to first?

• Total voters
S

sactownfan

"Last game, obviously, I went with Derrick and did not play Omri and that's not a slight on Omri because you can play either one of those guys. But Derrick has been very aggressive and he had a very good game against the Lakers. We put him in the post, he was attacking, using his size, his athleticism. So right now, Derrick has done a few things and played very well and he's in the best shape that he has ever been in in my eyes," Malone told Sactown Royalty. "So he's a guy that is kind of taking those backup minutes, but I'm going to try to find time to get Omri in the game whether it's at the two, the three or as a stretch four because he definitely brings some of that versatility."- Malone

Malone on the rebounding issue with Williams.

"Nik had four rebounds and Derrick had one. Derrick at times has shown he can be a very effective rebounder, but to play as many minutes as he played at the small forward position, and we've talked to him about it, one rebound is unacceptable," Malone said. "So I definitely noticed it"-Malone

WOW... ... ... POSITIONLESS BASKETBALL!!!!! lol!!!

This is some nonsense. I'm sorry this thread should have a poll attached... who's played better so far? Casspi or Williams? Captain Defense Malone is going with Williams over Casspi? oh jeez... Getting worried about Malone's Coaching IQ ... this seems way too smart (Keith Smart)

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2014/10/26/7074315/michael-malone-rotation

Wow. can't back up Malone on this one bit. I'll eat my words if Williams ends up playing great off the bench this year but he just looks like a lost cause at this point. And this is coming from a guy who has never liked Casspi and was not happy about him coming back to Sacramento, but in my eyes that backup SF spot should be all his

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
let's see, unemployed midlevel coaches (only ones who would take over midseason) who can be expected to take over once Malone fires himself, talk about defense, at least smirk and nod at "positionless basketball", then proceed to run n gun and duck n chuck which is really what's closet to their hearts:

Jeff Bzdelik
Jim O'Brien
Alvin Gentry
Sam Mitchell
Lawrence Frank?

Out of work midlevel coaches sure to talk about defense, laugh uproariously at "positionless basketball", then proceed to walk it up and play smashmouth defensive basketball much to the chagrin of a shallow style over substance ownership crew, while being abrasive enough to ensure their untimely deaths when Cuz drops an atomic suplex on them in the lockerroom sometime in March:

Nate McMillan
Scott Skiles
Avery Johnson?

Wasn't Malone extremely up front about how crapty our team was last year during interviews and losses? Maybe Malone is trying to sell the idea D.Will is a movable piece before it's too late.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Malone also chose absolutely the wrong crew to start last season off with -- apparently he is a pretty crapty judge of exhibition play -- and within 7 games he had to turnover the entire ineffective Ben/PPat/Salmons muddled mess.

I cannot stress enough how brutal our first month schedule is. Any similar screwing around will absolutely have us 10 games under .500 by the end of the month. And I'm not kidding about what such a brutal start may do to Malone's career prospects given the owner's talk of winning now.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If we're talking potential replacements, MDA seems like a candidate I'd put on the short list.

I'd ****ing hate it but he brings up the up-tempo, run & gun, "exciting" system our GM and owner seem to drool over as well as the name recognition and it can be sold as going after a bigger name coach.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm not really sure what to think of Michael Malone at this point. I was optimistic when he came in because he said all the right things and he had the pedigree of a defense-first fundamental coach. I can't blame him for all of the roster decisions, but he outwardly has supported most of them anyway. He didn't have anyone other than IT to start last year, but I have to hold him a little accountible for the all-iso offense we devolved into. I can wonder how last season would have played out had we retained Tyreke and moved him to PG, but there's no way to know. I'm far from calling for Malone to be fired but I am treading dangerously close to indifferent. And I have been in favor of Nate McMillan as long as he's been available.

Malone's choices will be tested so there is no concern there. We don't have to judge, it will be there for all of us to see. Looking forward to it all however it shakes out. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and bingo!!!!!

K

KingMilz

I don't mind at worst we gave Williams every single last chance possible to show us and the NBA something, the difference between Williams and Omri is minimal they both atm suck so yeah, one playing over the other will not equate to wins and losses anyway.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't mind at worst we gave Williams every single last chance possible to show us and the NBA something, the difference between Williams and Omri is minimal they both atm suck so yeah, one playing over the other will not equate to wins and losses anyway.
That is simply not true.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So one is a lot better than the other? Seriously? They are both currently below average SF's who both once in a while play well.
You said both suck at the moment. Your words and not mine. And that is just not true. Omri has shown a lot of growth since the last time he was here. D-Will, on the other hand, hasn't seemed to improve (or want to improve) any aspects of his game. Omri knows he's a role player. I have no idea what D-Will thinks, and my fear is that he doesn't either.

let's see, unemployed midlevel coaches (only ones who would take over midseason) who can be expected to take over once Malone fires himself, talk about defense, at least smirk and nod at "positionless basketball", then proceed to run n gun and duck n chuck which is really what's closet to their hearts:

Jeff Bzdelik
Jim O'Brien
Alvin Gentry
Sam Mitchell
Lawrence Frank?

Out of work midlevel coaches sure to talk about defense, laugh uproariously at "positionless basketball", then proceed to walk it up and play smashmouth defensive basketball much to the chagrin of a shallow style over substance ownership crew, while being abrasive enough to ensure their untimely deaths when Cuz drops an atomic suplex on them in the lockerroom sometime in March:

Nate McMillan
Scott Skiles
Avery Johnson?
I'm a fan of Nate McMillan. He's a defensive minded coach who will discipline our roster. We may be able to have success running ISO through Cuz and Gay. It's exactly what he did with LaMarcus Aldridge. It'll be a low scoring and slow pace offense that would translate into wins. I think he would be a great coach and great mentor. He's someone who I'd see Cuz really respecting and trying to mature with.

What about George freaking Carl?? George Carl is the coach we should've gone along with from the beginning.. George Carl!

If Malone does get fired, my first choice would be George Carl, then Nate McMillan.

Yes let's fire a coach in his 2nd year not only does that send a message but that's how winning teams are made. Even though he has the support of the franchise guy, gay, and Collison. He obviously like defense did you not see him play Luc when he was our only defender last year. Did you not hear him rave about tyreke skills and defensive potential last year but it's his fault he has no defenders to play. Heat should have fired Spo that first year too right.

Suggesting he's "playing favorites" would imply he knows omri is better and would help the team more but is playing Williams anyway for another reason.

I find that very hard to believe. Malone may be a lot of things but he certainly doesn't come across as dishonest. At least to me

And yes I'd prefer omri got those minutes too.

This is the kind of garbage that drives me crazy. And you know what? It really makes the coaching staff and FO look bad.

See, Vivek said this season is about winning. So many of Malones rotation choices scream favoritism, or something other than straight-up winning.

Maybe it is less favoritism and more showcasing. Showcasing Ben? Showcasing Williams? Even if that is the case, considering Vivek's statements, that is unacceptable.

Who gives this team the best opportunity to win? Either Malone thinks it is the players he is using, in which case I seriously question his coaching ability, or their is some ulterior motive, which means winning is once again not the focus is Sacramento. Either excuse is a poor one.

The scary part is that he didn't even play Omri in the Lakers game. This meant he had his mind made up on Williams as the backup 3 before he even played a decent game. Omri had no chance. Nik only has one preseason start. "Open competition" right? RIGHT?

I'm not sure if there is that much difference when you consider they will be playing around 10 - 12 minutes a game in the regular season.

Both players have had their moments. I think Coach Malone will get it sorted out. SF is pretty solid for the Kings with Gay as the starter. Then we have a heated discussion over who the backup should be:)

D-Will is a well known quantity by now. The team isn't going to "showcase" him or even need too, also postulating that would also infer the team are willing to accept a dire start to the season (a crucial one at that) just to get out from under a measly 6 million expiring contract, or the hope that someone is going to throw a star their way for a few weeks of good play from Derrick freaking Williams.

I simply refuse to accept that level of abject dishonesty from Malone, PDA and Vivek. I genuinely believe they are doing what they believe is the right things to get a winning product on the floor, whether they're actually right or not is another matter entirely.

Maybe Malone is still hopeful that D-Will will finally be engaged into playing inspired basketball this coming season.

As I see it, the best basketball of D-Will is miles better than the best of basketball that Casspi could ever do - that is when both are at their best. D-Will's best is a starter level and Casspi's best is as a reserve at the end of the bench.

Maybe knowing that it is a make or break year for D-Will, Malone is betting that D-Will will be able to pull it through this season?

Omri's looked a lot better than Derrick this preseason. Every game you can pretty much pencil in Omri's contributions; he just flat out picks his spots better, has a better understanding of what he can and cannot do, and aggressively makes his presence felt more consistently.

That being said, Derrick has more talent in his left pinky than Omri has in his entire body. I'm not going to overreact to Malone's decision based on a handful of preseason games. I don't know what's been going on in practice. I haven't seen improvement from Derrick thus far, but who knows, maybe he has improved. The coming weeks will be most telling.