The All-Purpose LOL Lakers thread

Looks like Vlade put out that particular dumpster fire.
Well it happened sooner then expected. I like that.

The reaction from others (national media etc) i dont control but i am sure a return to the sac dumpster fire franchise story's will emerge given the perceived continuous instability, particularly after what has been established externally as a positive season for us

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If the rumors are true about Kings liking him, I really wish Magic would have canned Walton before quitting. Of course the most embarrassing day in Lakers recent memory (history?) has to somehow throw a wrench in our potential plans.

F’n Lakers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well it happened sooner then expected. I like that.

The reaction from others (national media etc) i dont control but i am sure a return to the sac dumpster fire franchise story's will emerge given the perceived continuous instability, particularly after what has been established externally as a positive season for us
I'm not so sure, but time will tell. The whole Williams/Joerger drama was a sign of discord. By waiting until the end of the season but then taking swift action, I think Vlade showed patience and firm resolve. It was like the parent who lets the unruly kids know there will be repercussions for their misbehavior at the appropriate time. And...there were.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure, but time will tell. The whole Williams/Joerger drama was a sign of discord. By waiting until the end of the season but then taking swift action, I think Vlade showed patience and firm resolve. It was like the parent who lets the unruly kids know there will be repercussions for their misbehavior at the appropriate time. And...there were.
True, but is that the approach that was taken ? Did Joerger and Williams know there would be repurcussions. It doesnt really matter in any case but it has been interesting to see how Vlade operates and his evolution.

As a fan base we will never know of the conversations between the parties. Vlade could have let them know his thoughts and im sure he did. As a fan base we sensed things were not right and All star break was a turning point.

Publicly Vlade pushed for everyone to focus on the season and attempted to mend bridges to get us to focus on the task at hand. Now with the season over he has acted and acted swiftly.

I wonder if the decision to let Williams go was always going to happen post season (i believe it was) and if Joerger only joined him after it became apparent his vision for the team was different to Vlade's.

One quote during Barnes intro press conference will always stick out to me.

When asked how players would be integrated and how the roster would function with new additions Vlade replied with "we have to figure it out, well Dave has to figure it out" clearly Dave's working of it wasn't adequate and Vlade has moved to regain traction in line with his vision

Last edited by a moderator:
My gut instinct is that Williams was 100% gone and Joerger was gone unless he changed some of the things he needed "to figure out." As you said, we'll never know for sure but I know one thing - my respect for Vlade has increased even more than before.
Seems like after the initial blow up, one person slinked to his corner and the other declared victory. Neither response was particularly dignified and so they both sealed their fates.

Magic has led a blessed life. Except for a bout with AIDS he has been given many gifts. When it is not fun he wants to quit and go home.
Sports don't build character as much as they reveal it.