Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Givony has posted some BS lately that has me questioning his credibility. I don't doubt that he has real intel either but it almost seems as if he's working to put up a smokescreen for certain teams. Some of these rumors have me scratching my head as far as how little sense they make.
holy heck... I just listened to the Zach Lowe podcast, could he trash the Kings anymore?

Listen to this other podcast: https://pca.st/6fBa 16:58, he says he wants to see Luka on the right team with the right roster and coaching staff. Says he doesn't want to see Doncic at Sacramento....

I've lost a lot of respect for him. I think we can all agree that the Kings have fed info to the rest of the league that they aren't particularly high on Doncic (could be smoke screen), but with these comments from Givony, it seems like he's pushing his own narrative right now.

This is coming from someone who thinks the national media has nothing out for the Kings personally. I think they're fair to criticize the Kings. However, this one just doesn't go down right with me. I've been a very big DX fan, but Givony can screw off with his sources and opinions.

Atlanta can move Luka up their draft board all they want, but if the Kings take him at #2 it won't matter! ;)
Curious the Hawks are quiet all this time then float this rumor to Woj 48 hours to the draft. I think they are trying to generate trade interest, maybe wanting to move down a few slots, grab Bamba and pick up an asset from the Mavs or Grizzlies.

holy heck... I just listened to the Zach Lowe podcast, could he trash the Kings anymore?

Listen to this other podcast: https://pca.st/6fBa 16:58, he says he wants to see Luka on the right team with the right roster and coaching staff. Says he doesn't want to see Doncic at Sacramento....

I've lost a lot of respect for him. I think we can all agree that the Kings have fed info to the rest of the league that they aren't particularly high on Doncic (could be smoke screen), but with these comments from Givony, it seems like he's pushing his own narrative right now.

This is coming from someone who thinks the national media has nothing out for the Kings personally. I think they're fair to criticize the Kings. However, this one just doesn't go down right with me. I've been a very big DX fan, but Givony can screw off with his sources and opinions.
I don't have time to listen to it at the moment but it doesn't surprise me at all. Almost all of these tweets and rumors are negative toward the Kings in some manner or another. Most of it is pure speculation and I don't really blame them for speculating negatively but it's kind of a tired narrative that the Kings have been distancing themselves from for a good while now.

It's just lazy reporting and shilling as far as I'm concerned. The Kings have been really tight lipped for the last year or so and I'm sure that doesn't sit well with these Woj bomb wannabes. Hopefully our #1 Sacramento rep Harry Giles is paying attention to all this and getting fired up. In the meantime, just let them flap their gums and tweet away while we be like

Some people just don't know what they're watching with Luka or the Euro league.

For example, Luka has played nonstop for quite some time, just like Bogie did last season. And that needs to be taken into account. He's looked faster and more athletic at other times. But he's a bit worn down.

Furthermore, pointing to a single game here or there because it lacks eye popping statistics is reaching. The kid has won nearly every individual award someone can win in Europe. That doesn't happen if 8/8/2 is the norm. But even if it was the norm, he obviously affects a game in ways that everyone in Europe seems to understand and those watching youtube highlights don't.

While I don't pretend to know for certain that Luka Dončić is going to develop into a star or generational player, he has the most potential to be one of those players than anyone else in the draft. While there are other good players, none of them have the all-around skillset that Luka does. Those that believe he has maxed out his potential are merely looking at it as if the glass is half empty rather than half full. Perhaps Luka is just far ahead of the curve in his personal development? But that doesn't mean he can't get a lot better than he already is. Look how much better Steph Curry and Klay Thompson got in years 3 and 4. And Steph had 3 years college experience before that.

Point is, skilled players lacking elite athleticism have high ceilings too.

Lastly, while I recognize and admit that Marvin Bagley is a nice talent and likely to be a solid, maybe great NBA player, there are similar type bigs entering the draft nearly every year. AD, KAT, Cousins, Jabari Parker, Embiid, Drummond, Julius Randle, just to name a few. I won't say these players are a dime a dozen, but they're out there. But Luka has the look of a rare talent that comes along less often.

Not saying he's gonna be on the level of LeBron James or Larry Bird, but he could be something close even if different. A guy that can pass, shoot, rebound and has such high basketball IQ that he impacts the game beyond the stat sheet and is a leader. That's not near as easy to find as a 20/10 post player (and this coming from a staunch Cousins supporter).

While it'd be nice to have a player like Bagley, I'd rather take my chances on a player that could be transcendent. When the Kings took Tyreke Evans back in 2009, they got a heckuva player. But they passed on a player that became transcendent in Curry. I don't want to see that happen to them again.

I listened this morning also. It was a joke in my opinion. Basically the conversation shifted between probably some real intel, some educated guessing, unsubstantiated rumors, and then just clear mockery. You really can’t be taken credibly when you aren’t clear about fact from fiction, and some of his comments were pure fiction. When he mentioned Luka not wanting to go to the Kings and not talking to them, I’m immediatly thinking of the smiling Instagram photo I saw the other day with him, Vlade and Vivek. I mean....come on man.

I haven't heard anyone say Luka has maxed out his potential. If that was the case we're talking rookie year bogi, not a top five pick. The question is where does he max out at? Being limited athletically makes it really hard to be a dominant player in the NBA. Gordon Hayward might be best case, and that's only if he improves his shot.

If you're worried about missing the next Curry I'd be more concerned about passing on Trae Young. I mean prospect wise he's the spitting image of Steph... Same strengths and same question marks. Projected to go around #7 too. Eerie similarities.
See, that's the thing. I disagree. I think the Warriors have proved that. With exception of KD, who wasn't even with the team during their first 2 Finals runs, the core of their team is limited athletically. Steph, Klay and Draymond. But they dominate with their skill and BBIQ. That's the point.

Trae Young may indeed be a great shooter at the next level. But he nor anyone else in this draft have the all-around skillset or BBIQ of Luka. It's not even close. And Luka is 6'8" -- like Magic, Bird and LeBron -- and not 6'2" with a tiny body.

I'd bet my $$ toward Luka being closer to one of those players skill wise than Trae Young becoming another Steph Curry.

See, that's the thing. I disagree. I think the Warriors have proved that. With exception of KD, who wasn't even with the team during their first 2 Finals runs, the core of their team is limited athletically. Steph, Klay and Draymond. But they dominate with their skill and BBIQ. That's the point.

Trae Young may indeed be a great shooter at the next level. But he nor anyone else in this draft have the all-around skillset or BBIQ of Luka. It's not even close. And Luka is 6'8" -- like Magic, Bird and LeBron -- and not 6'2" with a tiny body.

I'd bet my $$ toward Luka being closer to one of those players skill wise than Trae Young becoming another Steph Curry.
That's fine, I get that the Luka fans think he has all kinds of upside. I don't see it, I think he'll be a good player... Borderline all-star type. But not great. LeBron minus the athleticism is no longer LeBron, he's a regular player.

And I'm not betting on Young either... But shouldn't shock anyone if he becomes a perrenial all-star type. He's basically a clone of Curry.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

This is a great point! All of the guys in that Golden State core were passed up by the high lottery teams because they were seen as being low-ceiling roleplayers rather than potential stars. I would have passed on Steph, Klay, and Draymond at the time too. Instead of looking at what they could actually do on the court we were looking at their lack of ideal size and explosive athleticism. And thinking back now on every draft I've followed, how many 10 out of 10 athletes actually turn into superstars in the NBA? Not very many. Every year these guys tease us with potential they never reach while the merely mortal athletes who've spent their entire lives learning the game inside out accomplish great things without physical tools that jump off the screen at you. I'm going to go a little over the top here and say that if your number 1 reason to draft somebody is "athleticism" its always the wrong pick. If that's their standout skill you're really saying they have no standout skill. I can't think of a counter-example.

I really hope someone is keeping track of givony, lowe, woj or whoever else is saying all this crap about the kings. I'm at the point where is secretly want vlade to draft doncic just to rub it in all their stupid smug faces. We didn't want doncic huh? nobody wants to come here huh? 99% mpj? Bagley a near lock? Take that and your sources and shove it.

That's fine, I get that the Luka fans think he has all kinds of upside. I don't see it, I think he'll be a good player... Borderline all-star type. But not great. LeBron minus the athleticism is no longer LeBron, he's a regular player.

And I'm not betting on Young either... But shouldn't shock anyone if he becomes a perrenial all-star type. He's basically a clone of Curry.
Seth

It is a smoke screen. Pick is Luka.

This is a great point! All of the guys in that Golden State core were passed up by the high lottery teams because they were seen as being low-ceiling roleplayers rather than potential stars. I would have passed on Steph, Klay, and Draymond at the time too. Instead of looking at what they could actually do on the court we were looking at their lack of ideal size and explosive athleticism. And thinking back now on every draft I've followed, how many 10 out of 10 athletes actually turn into superstars in the NBA? Not very many. Every year these guys tease us with potential they never reach while the merely mortal athletes who've spent their entire lives learning the game inside out accomplish great things without physical tools that jump off the screen at you. I'm going to go a little over the top here and say that if your number 1 reason to draft somebody is "athleticism" its always the wrong pick. If that's their standout skill you're really saying they have no standout skill. I can't think of a counter-example.
"This just in, a top level athlete might just be the most athletic prospect since Jim Thorpe. This exclusive story and more, at 11." ;)

Who the hell cares what Zack Lowe and Givony thinks!

There is a reason why these hacks pile on the Kings and it's probably because no one on the Kings will talk to them and gives them information so they make up crap.

Let's see if these fools retract any of their stupid stories if the Kings pick Doncic and he shows on national TV that he's happy to be a King!

The closer we get to the draft, the more worried I am. I'm starting to believe we won't pick Luka, and that's a huge mistake we will regret for a very long time.

We will pass on a 6-7 Steve Nash, with the highest IQBB, the best instincts, a winning attitude, to select a 6-11 big who can't (doesn't want) play D and shoot well. I will be very disappointed when we pick Bagley on thursday.

The closer we get to the draft, the more worried I am. I'm starting to believe we won't pick Luka, and that's a huge mistake we will regret for a very long time.

We will pass on a 6-7 Steve Nash, with the highest IQBB, the best instincts, a winning attitude, to select a 6-11 big who can't (doesn't want) play D and shoot well. I will be very disappointed when we pick Bagley on thursday.
But he got nice stats, who cares about winning titles?

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I'm trying to pump myself up on Bagley, but I'm going to be low-key crushed when/if Doncic isn't the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.