Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is more to him then that. He’s pretty athletic. But anyway, Vlade’s looking at all the top players because he should. He might draft Doncic, who knows. His lateral quickness is a concern but everyone has some concerns.
The game now is a
You couldn't be more wrong. Just you watch Bamba rise up draft boards once he shows teams his skillset and tools in workouts.
watch him in college. Always out of position. Terrible hands. Looking lost.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The game now is a

watch him in college. Always out of position. Terrible hands. Looking lost.
How often do we see players come into the league and show us how completely wrong we were about them? They get put in the right situation and they learn from the Pros on what it takes to be successful and that goes a long way. I think Bamba will fall into that category. He will show why he should be a top 5 pick before it's said and done, in my opinion.

How often do we see players come into the league and show us how completely wrong we were about them? They get put in the right situation and they learn from the Pros on what it takes to be successful and that goes a long way. I think Bamba will fall into that category. He will show why he should be a top 5 pick before it's said and done, in my opinion.
We are picking at #2 this is not the time for that

I just didn’t want it to get back like it was. You have been here long enough to remember the only Peja fans. They wanted Webber gone so Peja could be the man. Everybody else was garbage on the team but Peja. It’s like deja vu. Once I realized what I was dealing with I just stopped.
You cannot step in the same river twice. Fans have changed, the league has changed and most importantly the world has changed. Passing up on the clear number 2 pick because of old grievances is just nuts. And perhaps in our case even if we had the number one pick doncic might be the wise choice given the style of play Joeager and Vlade have chosen to instill. Last year when this team looked really sharp it was because they ran the court moved the ball and got great open looks, Doncic is perfect for that style of play.

Last edited:
I just didn’t want it to get back like it was. You have been here long enough to remember the only Peja fans. They wanted Webber gone so Peja could be the man. Everybody else was garbage on the team but Peja. It’s like deja vu. Once I realized what I was dealing with I just stopped.
You just don't give up. When you are proved wrong, you try to make it "we against them". You were wrong, just move on.

You cannot step in the same river twice. Fans have changed, the league has changed and most importantly the world has changed. Passing up on the clear number to pick because of old grievances is just nuts. And perhaps in our case even if we had the number one pick doncic might be the wise choice given the style of play Jager and Vlade have chosen to instill. Last year when this team looks really sharp it was because they ran the court move the ball and got great open looks, Doncic is perfect for that style of play.
I wonder how many times I might go in circles on this over the next several weeks... but right now I'm pretty enthusiastic about hearing Doncic's name called by the Sacramento Kings at #2. If only... if only WCS has another secret gear or can unleash some real competitive fire... we will have a very exciting team to watch with Fox, Bogi, Luka, Giles, WCS... with Buddy #6 and Kosta/Skal/Zach as big depth. I'm pretty fired up for this.

I'll check back in Monday with "trade down for Porter" lol... but for now I'm down with Luka as the easy and obvious move.

I wonder how many times I might go in circles on this over the next several weeks... but right now I'm pretty enthusiastic about hearing Doncic's name called by the Sacramento Kings at #2. If only... if only WCS has another secret gear or can unleash some real competitive fire... we will have a very exciting team to watch with Fox, Bogi, Luka, Giles, WCS... with Buddy #6 and Kosta/Skal/Zach as big depth. I'm pretty fired up for this.

I'll check back in Monday with "trade down for Porter" lol... but for now I'm down with Luka as the easy and obvious move.
I have to respect a man who is firm in his decisiveness!

I have to respect a man who is firm in his decisiveness!
well the truth is I don't know crap... I only can read the hype and gossip and judge from that. I'm not a talent scout. Didn't watch Bagley/Porter/Ayton play. Don't think you can tell much from Euroleague.

But... if Kings people are spending the word that we're just not that into Doncic (which I read on Twitter the other day)... then I think it is pretty definitive proof that we are absolutely into Doncic. So I'm hopping aboard.

Ya although the Bamba measurables are daunting Idk how anyone could watch games last year and not have him slotted as the 3rd best big man in the draft. JJJ is a far superior defender and can already knock down the 3. As for Porter, I think he will be a star because his offensive game will translate. The hesitation and pull up game have been perfected by the great wings of this game and with his height and length, he will be able to get his shot at will. My younger brother is heading to a D1 college for basketball on a full scholarship and was able to be around several of the top prospects including Bagley, Porter, and Ayton. He thinks all will be really good but said Porter was a cut above. So yes I admit I'm taking my brother's word for it so don't crucify me for an unpopular opinion.

I think there is more to it than that. I look at prospects, I look at more than just talent. Here are some of the questions I ask myself:
What is his floor?
What is his ceiling?
What are his strenghs?
What are his weaknesses?
How many things does he need to improve to reach his ceiling?
How likely is he to accomplish improving those things?
What is his work ethic? (Sometimes difficult to tell)
Is he coachable?

Bamba falls into a category where he has a fairly high ceiling, but has a lot of things he needs to improve upon to reach that ceiling. The more areas of weakness a player has, the less likely theyare to reach their ceiling IMO. Of the top prospects he probably has the most weaknesses.

Doncic is an enhanced version of Lonzo Ball...hes got better floor vision and a consistent shot. He also fills our need at SF. Could we ask for a better prospect than this? Draft him at #2 lets move on.
Thing is Doncic is worlds better passer than Lonzo, he’s also on another level player in the pick and roll, better athlete than Lonzo, and has 3inches and 50 pounds on him. Also Lonzo can’t finish to save his life while Doncic is shooting 60% from 2.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not the same at all. As someone else pointed out, most of those Peja fans only joined the board when Peja actually showed up on the Kings. A vast majority of those professing a preference for Doncic are already members of this board. You're just arguing to argue now IMO and ... you're losing.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Not the same at all. As someone else pointed out, most of those Peja fans only joined the board when Peja actually showed up on the Kings. A vast majority of those professing a preference for Doncic are already members of this board. You're just arguing to argue now IMO and ... you're losing.
How can one lose an argument when arguing over an outcome that has yet to come to fruition? I guess it will just be another I told you so moment. I hate that it keeps happening. Just don’t want another top 10 pick to be wasted on a role player or a bust. It’s getting old. Robinson, jimmer, staukas, Papagionis, mclemore. We have been in lottery for 13-14? Years now. 2 guys we have drafted are here. 1 of those we got last year. Doncic TO ME seems like another on the list of failures.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How can one lose an argument when arguing over an outcome that has yet to come to fruition? I guess it will just be another I told you so moment. I hate that it keeps happening. Just don’t want another top 10 pick to be wasted on a role player or a bust. It’s getting old. Robinson, jimmer, staukas, Papagionis, mclemore. We have been in lottery for 13-14? Years now. 2 guys we have drafted are here. 1 of those we got last year. Doncic TO ME seems like another on the list of failures.
Move on.

I’m no translator but that looks like a see you in Sacramento embrace.

Also with Fox-Buddy-Bogdan-Doncic we’d have 4 clutch players who thrive in clutch situations
If Doncic falls to us I'd be very happy to see us utilize those four talents going forwards. It could be the next exciting era in Kings basketball if all goes well and they make the right moves to support them.

Doncic is 19, he’s already a European champion, Euroleague champion, ACB champion, Euroleague MVP, Euroleague Final 4 MVP. He’s been playing at the highest level in Europe for 3 years now. How can someone not be excited about drafting this guy? If he’s there at 2 I want to Kings to pick him and run away.

Do you believe any of the other prospects in this draft would have achieved half of what Luka has achieved in the last 3 years, playing in Europe like he did?

Doncic is 19, he’s already a European champion, Euroleague champion, ACB champion, Euroleague MVP, Euroleague Final 4 MVP. He’s been playing at the highest level in Europe for 3 years now. How can someone not be excited about drafting this guy? If he’s there at 2 I want to Kings to pick him and run away.

Do you believe any of the other prospects in this draft would have achieved half of what Luka has achieved in the last 3 years, playing in Europe like he did?
I am pretty excited. I think someone else’s mentioned its some sort of condition they don’t think we deserve nice things.

I would rather have Ayton, but I feel Luka is too tantalizing to pass up if the Suns play it safe.

Thing is Doncic is worlds better passer than Lonzo, he’s also on another level player in the pick and roll, better athlete than Lonzo, and has 3inches and 50 pounds on him. Also Lonzo can’t finish to save his life while Doncic is shooting 60% from 2.[/QUOTE

Lonzo is an underrated athlete bro. He is a better athlete vertically then lonzo. There is no question about that.

Maybe Doncic won't go top 3? Here's what Jonathan Givony claims:
Doncic's next destination was a focal point on many a conversation over the course of the weekend. It still remains to be seen which NBA team will draft him. The growing consensus among NBA decision-makers in attendance at Stark Arena in Belgrade is that the teams drafting behind the Phoenix Suns at No. 1, the Sacramento Kings and Atlanta Hawks are likely to pass on European prodigy in favor of American frontcourt players. The question remains whether a team will trade up into the top three to snag Doncic, or if he will fall to the No. 4 (Memphis) or even the No. 5 pick (Dallas) after being heavily scouted in the Euroleague playoffs against Panathinaikos and mostly struggling.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...doncic-helps-real-madrid-win-euroleague-title
thoughts? I think Phoenix, Sacramento, and Atlanta are blowing smokescreen right now.

My biggest concern with Doncic is his first-step and quickness. He has trouble scoring in isolation and getting past his man. This is a legitimate problem that prevents some people from seeing him as the #1 prospect.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

This is on a switch against 7'0 240lb Jan Vesley. This isn't just 1 rare example, it's a weakness in Doncic's game. He heavily relies on screens to get inside the paint. Can't really overlook athleticism, even though a lot of people like to. I think it starts with him slimming down. He looked in better shape coming out of P3.

Status
Not open for further replies.