Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bamba looked terrible at Texas. Sorry he has no b-ball ow and little skill just a enormous frame. Project that u don’t take at 2
I’m not advocating anyone at this point. I think you are wrong about BBIQ however. Many feel Bamba has the highest upside. I will go back to many of these top guys have very high ceilings but all have some clear areas of growth/concern. It will be up to Vlade to decide. This pick will define him.

Michael Porter Jr is going to be a star. I'd take him over anyone in this draft and he just happens to fit what this team needs perfectly. A long wing scorer with a ton of versatility. T-mac says MPJ reminds him of himself. SIGN ME UP FOR PORTER JR

from now until June 21st, there is going to be smoke and a lot of it...I won't buy it. I want to see pre-draft workouts starting up soon before deciding who I feel the team should draft. Doncic isn't and shouldn't be a lock at number two.
This pretty much sums it up! The shouldn’t be a lock. There is over a month to go before the draft. There is a LOT of work to be done before the decision is made. If we are locked in now, the front office is not doing their job! It’s pretty simple really!

I’m not advocating anyone at this point. I think you are wrong about BBIQ however. Many feel Bamba has the highest upside. I will go back to many of these top guys have very high ceilings but all have some clear areas of growth/concern. It will be up to Vlade to decide. This pick will define him.
Bamba is the classic draft him cuz he is big.

from now until June 21st, there is going to be smoke and a lot of it...I won't buy it. I want to see pre-draft workouts starting up soon before deciding who I feel the team should draft. Doncic isn't and shouldn't be a lock at number two.
Best post I have read in a while.
I look forward to a thread that talks about draft invitees and workouts. For me that's a major part of being a long time Kings fan.

You couldn't be more wrong. Just you watch Bamba rise up draft boards once he shows teams his skillset and tools in workouts.
I think this may well be true. Not sure Shaka’s offense best displayed his skills. The key for him is can he shoot in individual workouts. Whether any of these guys can stretch the defense will be important.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think this may well be true. Not sure Shaka’s offense best displayed his skills. The key for him is can he shoot in individual workouts. Whether any of these guys can stretch the defense will be important.
Bamba has changed his shot mechanics so you know he is putting in the time and he knows what will get him drafted even higher should the new shot start dropping more

It's a short video, but some of the moves he pulls off and doesn't pull off just entices you. That behind the back pass that ended up being a charge was a thing of beauty. He was 17... it's just astonishing. The kid is an animal. Whoever said this kid will be like Nocioni back in the day is either blind or ignorant. Nocioni couldn't pull half of those moves off in his dreams let alone on a basketball court.

Sometimes players have a special effect on others and it just oozes out of them and infects the whole team. Those players are called leaders and we don't have a single one of those on this team. Some players have physical attributes, but aren't leaders. It's not always about who has the biggest reach or the highest jumping ability and I think we fans forget that. We are so used to seeing Lebron pull off crazy dunks like they are layups, but the game of basketball is more than that. Lebron has it all (physical attributes and mental/leadership skills) and is one of the greatest in history because of that. Luka is no Lebron, but it's clear that his team loves him and enjoys playing with him. Not to mention he's a 18 year old 6-8 230lb kid who will only continue to get stronger. Heck, if he came over this second he would be one of the bigger SFs in the league. Imagine if and when he develops a post game?

The kid is scary good.
What I like is there is no fear nor hesitation in his game against superior players. I remember a such play from Porzingis and Booker against Boogie in their rookie year.
BTW his passes are spot on in heavy traffic. I'm not basketball analyst but such a debut against seasoned NBA players from a 17 year old is something...

Bamba has changed his shot mechanics so you know he is putting in the time and he knows what will get him drafted even higher should the new shot start dropping more
Yep. I wish JJJ would change his shot mechanics ;-). Not sure how such an ugly no rotation shot goes in.

Just for grins I looked at free throw percentages:
Doncic = .802
Jackson = .797
Ayton = .733
Bamba = .681
Bagley = .627

For reference Bogdan is .840
Top NBA center KAT .858
Top Forwards. .900
Top Rookie. Markanan .843

Michael Porter Jr is going to be a star. I'd take him over anyone in this draft and he just happens to fit what this team needs perfectly. A long wing scorer with a ton of versatility. T-mac says MPJ reminds him of himself. SIGN ME UP FOR PORTER JR
What does Porter show you that makes him a star? A star has to be able to creat for others he can’t do that, has to be able to get to the rim he can’t do that, and a star wing has to be able to run pick and roll he can’t do that.

Going off his HS tape we can assume that he can shoot from 3 and mid range and rebound. On the other hand he has one of the weakest handles of any wing in the top 20, has tunnel vision and can’t pass. I don’t care how many games or rusty he was at Missouri he had 1 assists in 53 minuets 1 assists. That’s absurd

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Dudes ass terrible but hey hey he has a long wingspan so forget the tape. Jackson is way better than him and a better defender it’s clown talk to mention him in the top 5
Let's say top 4 in alphabetical order are Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, and JJJ. Who is 5? I think you can at least make the case for Bamba at 5. Porter could go there if his injury is not a concern since at one point he was in the top 3, but realistically I bet someone rolls the dice on Bamba at 5.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You couldn't be more wrong. Just you watch Bamba rise up draft boards once he shows teams his skillset and tools in workouts.
Bamba will look great in workouts, especially if his outside shot us falling. He's got great physical tools and the allure of being a potential unicorn. He'll also be impressive interviews because he's a bright, interesting kid with good people skills.

But for me I remember too many games where he came out passive and had to get pushed around a bit before he responded.

My concern is that he doesn't have an edge to him and that (rightly or wrongly) makes me question his drive to be great.

I've seen people say his floor is Gobert and I don't agree. He's better at the same stage than Gobert but that's a testament to how hard The Stifle Tower worked to get where he is now. Will Bamba work hard enough/play hard enough to max out his potential?

Because he's not a freak athlete who can defend on the perimeter like a Draymond or a (rarely seen) fully engaged WCS or even to the extent that JJJ has shown. He's a rim protector who can be a garbage man/rim runner/dive man with some hope of stretching defenses with his shot or developing a post game.

I think he's a bigger gamble than people think.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably has the highest bust potential out of a top 5 pick for sure. Still think he doesn't drop past 6.
I think his range is 5-11 if only because I can't see either the Knicks or Sixers taking him.

Trades change everything but if everyone stayed put I'd see Bamba's most likely landing spots being #3 to Atlanta (high to me but possible), #5 to Dallas, #6 to Orlando (their GM loves length but I think Trae Young makes a lot more sense), and then MAYBE Chicago (I think they go Porter or one of the Bridges) or Cleveland but a lot depends on LeBron.

In short, while I don't see Bagley going lower than 5, I wouldn't be surprised if Bamba went 3rd or 11th.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think his range is 5-11 if only because I can't see either the Knicks or Sixers taking him.

Trades change everything but if everyone stayed put I'd see Bamba's most likely landing spots being #3 to Atlanta (high to me but possible), #5 to Dallas, #6 to Orlando (their GM loves length but I think Trae Young makes a lot more sense), and then MAYBE Chicago (I think they go Porter or one of the Bridges) or Cleveland but a lot depends on LeBron.

In short, while I don't see Bagley going lower than 5, I wouldn't be surprised if Bamba went 3rd or 11th.
I think Dallas grabs him at 5.

But I also think there might be some action in front of them that changes everything. Atlanta at 3 seems likely to trade if 1-2 go as expected.

Also while I'm not rooting for anyone to bust, I think it would please me immensely if Dallas effs up this draft.

Let's say top 4 in alphabetical order are Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, and JJJ. Who is 5? I think you can at least make the case for Bamba at 5. Porter could go there if his injury is not a concern since at one point he was in the top 3, but realistically I bet someone rolls the dice on Bamba at 5.
I’d take Young at 5 over Bamba everyday of the week and it’s not close for me. Young with elite vision and shooting has traits of successful PGs

Gotta be Doncic at #2. Like others have said towns, ad, cousins, etc don't translate to wins in the NBA. At #2 overall if there's a wing player worthy of the selection that's the route you gotta go. MPJ would be the other guy to consider I guess.

Doncic is an enhanced version of Lonzo Ball...hes got better floor vision and a consistent shot. He also fills our need at SF. Could we ask for a better prospect than this? Draft him at #2 lets move on.

Remember the feeling at the games when J-Will was running point? Remember how fun those games were to go watch? No matter what, you knew he was going to put on a show. Doncic has those skills but he's consistent. I think its time we actually have fun watching Kings rather than just worrying about W-L...those will come on its own with the change in culture.

Fox, Bogi, Doncic will be able to carve up any Defense. We'll be 1 superstar away with a killer mindset from perennial WCF appearances.

Entity

Hall of Famer
So that's your response when your argument is torn to shreds by folks who have spent a lot of time watching Doncic? Pretty weak sauce if you ask me (VF21 the fan).
I just didn’t want it to get back like it was. You have been here long enough to remember the only Peja fans. They wanted Webber gone so Peja could be the man. Everybody else was garbage on the team but Peja. It’s like deja vu. Once I realized what I was dealing with I just stopped.

I just didn’t want it to get back like it was. You have been here long enough to remember the only Peja fans. They wanted Webber gone so Peja could be the man. Everybody else was garbage on the team but Peja. It’s like deja vu. Once I realized what I was dealing with I just stopped.
Then it looks like your letting that experience cloud your judgement. Most of the posters advocating Doncic have been here a lot longer than him coming on the scene. That wasn't the case ( that I remember) with Peja and especially not with that pg from Asia (Philippines?).

I don't think you get it. It's not about Dončić > Kings. It's about being fair to a prospect.

Peja and Doncic are completely different players. Peja was an elite shooter with high basketball IQ who could be a excellent scorer on some nights, he was a weapon. Doncic is a playmaker who runs the show like a Ben Simmons, he makes his teammates better and is the type of player whose playstyle can rub off on the team and establish a culture of team basketball. Doncic is a guy where if everything goes right can transform your franchise. Similar to how last year you saw Bogi's style play rub off on Buddy Hield and Hield took a leap.

Status
Not open for further replies.