Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Actually, yes that is correct.
Just to be clear, you are saying that the practice time with the team (the full speed scrimmages, etc.) is not giving coaches and teammates insight into his skills, talent, and character. Is that correct?

And furthermore, you are saying that Temple, Bogie, Fox, and VC are all just making up the quotes about him in the link I shared?

Just to be clear, you are saying that the practice time with the team (the full speed scrimmages, etc.) is not giving coaches and teammates insight into his skills, talent, and character. Is that correct?

And furthermore, you are saying that Temple, Bogie, Fox, and VC are all just making up the quotes about him in the link I shared?
There was also a couple of more recent comments from Doug Christie and Iman Shumpert about Giles being a beast! ;)

You can’t bring up defense as a weakness than ask for Bagley. I like Bagley but if our number 1 scorer is that bad of a passer we’re in trouble. How do we fill our roster with Giles/Bagley/Fox starting that spacing is horrible.

Beal, Dragic, Love, and Hayward all stars with similar athletic profile.

He finished with 3points- 5 rebounds- 4 assists in 18minutes as a 17 year old vs Westbrook/Oladipo
It's a short video, but some of the moves he pulls off and doesn't pull off just entices you. That behind the back pass that ended up being a charge was a thing of beauty. He was 17... it's just astonishing. The kid is an animal. Whoever said this kid will be like Nocioni back in the day is either blind or ignorant. Nocioni couldn't pull half of those moves off in his dreams let alone on a basketball court.

Sometimes players have a special effect on others and it just oozes out of them and infects the whole team. Those players are called leaders and we don't have a single one of those on this team. Some players have physical attributes, but aren't leaders. It's not always about who has the biggest reach or the highest jumping ability and I think we fans forget that. We are so used to seeing Lebron pull off crazy dunks like they are layups, but the game of basketball is more than that. Lebron has it all (physical attributes and mental/leadership skills) and is one of the greatest in history because of that. Luka is no Lebron, but it's clear that his team loves him and enjoys playing with him. Not to mention he's a 18 year old 6-8 230lb kid who will only continue to get stronger. Heck, if he came over this second he would be one of the bigger SFs in the league. Imagine if and when he develops a post game?

The kid is scary good.

Last edited:
I think we have to ask ourselves what type of player is most likely to lead a winning team. Let's say Ayton projects to be a 21 and 11 guy 38% from 3 with average BBIQ and average defense. Bagley projects to be a 24 and 12 guy with average BBIQ and average defense. And Luka is a 18 8 and 5 guy with superior BBIQ 38-40% from 3 and average defense.

If these numbers were the ceiling for these guys and they all reached it, what guy do we want? On paper, Bagley might be the guy. If superior BBIQ and the ability to make your teammates better is factored in, Luka might be the best chance we have of developing a winning culture.

Interesting how everyone brings up the passing almost first thing. I didn't even know he had that in his game. Can't wait to see Giles out there playing!
It might be nice to pair him with another passionate player named Doncic..... I view Doncic as a possible Jwill type catalyst. I believe He is exactly what this team needs. A player that just wants to win at any cost.

It might be nice to pair him with another passionate player named Doncic..... I view Doncic as a possible Jwill type catalyst. I believe He is exactly what this team needs. A player that just wants to win at any cost.
I agree, this team desperately needs a leader, but one that can also ball. We have always tried to get vets to be leaders, a lot of them well past their prime. We need a "on the court" leader and this kid can definitely be it.

I think in time Doncic can average 20-23 a game, with ~ 5 assists/5 Reb per game. Perhaps even more assists and rebounds since he gets after it.

I think we have to ask ourselves what type of player is most likely to lead a winning team. Let's say Ayton projects to be a 21 and 11 guy 38% from 3 with average BBIQ and average defense. Bagley projects to be a 24 and 12 guy with average BBIQ and average defense. And Luka is a 18 8 and 5 guy with superior BBIQ 38-40% from 3 and average defense.

If these numbers were the ceiling for these guys and they all reached it, what guy do we want? On paper, Bagley might be the guy. If superior BBIQ and the ability to make your teammates better is factored in, Luka might be the best chance we have of developing a winning culture.
You’re sleeping on Doncic is those numbers are ceilings for everyone. He’s be closer to 20-8-8 he’s an elite rebounder and passer and yes I’m taking that over Ayton/Bagley. Luka makes everyone better the minute he puts a Kings hate on in June

It's a short video, but some of the moves he pulls off and doesn't pull off just entices you. That behind the back pass that ended up being a charge was a thing of beauty. He was 17... it's just astonishing. The kid is an animal. Whoever said this kid will be like Nocioni back in the day is either blind or ignorant. Nocioni couldn't pull half of those moves off in his dreams let alone on a basketball court.

Sometimes players have a special effect on others and it just oozes out of them and infects the whole team. Those players are called leaders and we don't have a single one of those on this team. Some players have physical attributes, but aren't leaders. It's not always about who has the biggest reach or the highest jumping ability and I think we fans forget that. We are so used to seeing Lebron pull off crazy dunks like they are layups, but the game of basketball is more than that. Lebron has it all (physical attributes and mental/leadership skills) and is one of the greatest in history because of that. Luka is no Lebron, but it's clear that his team loves him and enjoys playing with him. Not to mention he's a 18 year old 6-8 230lb kid who will only continue to get stronger. Heck, if he came over this second he would be one of the bigger SFs in the league. Imagine if and when he develops a post game?

The kid is scary good.
Exactly his poise at 17 vs an nba is unprecedented and for a bad defender his coach had him guard Westbrook and Oladipo. Between this game and last summer vs Spain/Porzingis/France/Greece I’ve seen enough to know this kid will be a stud

In 2 years when he’s 6’8 240 he'll be playing SF with no problem he’s huge.

Karl Anthony Towns is basically the player that you have for your scenarios for Bagley and Ayton and he can't lead a team to wins. Big man defense is a lot more valuable than people think. Doncic can get away with being a poor defender but Bagley and Ayton can't if they want to win.

Yes, I am saying there is nothing like real game action.

I think he’ll be able to shoot but it’s not a given and he only took 60 3s.

https://asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com/2018/05/18/who-should-go-1st-deandre-ayton-vs-luka-doncic/

What if Doncic is a 6’8 elite passing Goran Dragic. Dragic isn’t the best athlete but he has a high IQ and knows how to play athleticism isn’t the end all be all
Great athletes are great to have, but give me a player with skills any day. Larry Bird wasn't a great athlete (Luka is probably a better athlete than Bird) but he was one of the most dominant players I have seen. In Bird's final season at 35 years of age (playing with a bad back), he still averaged 20.2 pts, 9.6 rbs and 6.8 asts. I remember him late that year scoring 49 pts, grabbing 14 boards and dishing 12 assists in a big game (against Portland, I think). Anyone who saw him play that year can attest that his mobility was greatly affected by his back.

Doug is positive about everyone though.

If Phoenix takes Doncic and Ayton is there, it would be dumb to pass on Ayton because of Giles. They can't co-exist in today's NBA, and he's still a giant gamble.
I’m not sure they can’t co exist. Ayton can shoot the 3. And Giles has the lateral quickness to guard any four.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Christie likes almost everybody. He is a positive guy. And what else would players say? I think u are a bit ahead of yourself making him our centerpiece
I think you should read more closely. I haven't made him our centerpiece, I'm just pointing out what players and management and Christie have said about Giles. I'm sure everyone is in a wait and see mode regarding Giles.

And as far as Christie being positive, he is but he also has been critical when warranted.

But to your question of what else would the players say? How about looking at this way. Why on earth would the players put undue pressure on Giles if he wasn't doing well in practices by declaring him the best player on the court. If he was struggling, I'm sure they could say that he was working hard on his rehab and progressing or some other canned answer. Highly doubt they would go the route of what they are saying if he can't live up to the hype.

And no one on here is saying anything about not drafting Ayton because of the Giles hype, nor is management or national media. BPA is what's going to happen.......just happens to be at this point in time Ayton and Doncic.

Great athletes are great to have, but give me a player with skills any day. Larry Bird wasn't a great athlete (Luka is probably a better athlete than Bird) but he was one of the most dominant players I have seen. In Bird's final season at 35 years of age (playing with a bad back), he still averaged 20.2 pts, 9.6 rbs and 6.8 asts. I remember him late that year scoring 49 pts, grabbing 14 boards and dishing 12 assists in a big game (against Portland, I think). Anyone who saw him play that year can attest that his mobility was greatly affected by his back.
Yeah I thought about Bird. The difference was Larry was a dead eye shooter and the Celtics had lock down individual defenders like Dennis Johnson to cover for him.

Neither is true in our case. If you draft Doncic to maximize his value he has to have the ball in his hands. I think Phoenix with Booker and Jackson might take him but I think we look hard at the other bigs.

Exactly his poise at 17 vs an nba is unprecedented and for a bad defender his coach had him guard Westbrook and Oladipo. Between this game and last summer vs Spain/Porzingis/France/Greece I’ve seen enough to know this kid will be a stud

In 2 years when he’s 6’8 240 he'll be playing SF with no problem he’s huge.
Then why isn’t he guarding anyone in the Euroleague final?

Ayton couldn’t guard Buffalo players and they’ll be working 9-5 jobs next year. Bagley couldn’t stop anybody if he knew where they were going before it happened. Bad defense on the wing could be hidden bad defense in the front court is a disaster and will be picked apart
It’s one thing if your bad defense is due to something the coaches didn’t put in. It’s something different if it’s due to something God didn’t put in.

Karl Anthony Towns is basically the player that you have for your scenarios for Bagley and Ayton and he can't lead a team to wins. Big man defense is a lot more valuable than people think. Doncic can get away with being a poor defender but Bagley and Ayton can't if they want to win.
Which may lead you to Bamba especially if he has reworked his shot. Can you imagine Giles, Fox, Bogdan and Hezonja pressing on the perimeter with Bamba their to clean up any drives. Good lord we would be long:

Wingspan
Fox: 6’ 6”
Bogi: 6’ 11”
Hezonja: 6’ 10”
Giles: 7’ 3”
Bamba: 7’ 10”

Hield 6’ 8”
Skal: 7’ 2”
Justin: 7’ 3”

Which may lead you to Bamba especially if he has reworked his shot. Can you imagine Giles, Fox, Bogdan and Hezonja pressing on the perimeter with Bamba their to clean up any drives. Good lord we would be long:

Wingspan
Fox: 6’ 6”
Bogi: 6’ 11”
Hezonja: 6’ 10”
Giles: 7’ 3”
Bamba: 7’ 10”

Hield 6’ 8”
Skal: 7’ 2”
Justin: 7’ 3”
I can imagine that being an easy team to defend and it will struggle to score.

The Bamba hype is outrageous, turn on the tape in that guy

I can imagine that being an easy team to defend and it will struggle to score.

The Bamba hype is outrageous, turn on the tape in that guy
Yep I know his offensive game is limited but some of it might depend on when he grew. He has also reworked his shot. With a release the blanking high who’s going to block it??

If the Kings were to go with a defensive big I'd rather see them take Jaren Jackson Jr. He's a better shotblocker who can also switch and guard on the perimeter.

And while his mechanics are a bit funky and he has a low release, his outside shot isn't hypothetical like Bamba's, it's a key part of his offensive game.

As a point guard, which is where Doncic would play for the Phoenix Suns, his handles are average to slightly above average for a point guard.

But, as a Small Forward, which is where he would play for the Kings, Doncic handles, passing and court vision are superior. His step back fade away is Harden-like. There are not many small forwards that have his handles and court Vision. That is where I can see him break down a defense and get his teammates easy looks.

Doncic has the size for the NBA, but he does need to tone up and lose the baby fat.

Once he strengthens up and matures, I could see him as a 18-20pts, 6 reb, 6 assist per game small forward.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I haven't seen this mentioned yet so...

Luka will be playing against the defending champs, Bogdan Bogdanovic's old team Fenerbahce (our old friend Jason Thompson is now on that team) for the Euroleague championship tomorrow. The game starts at 8pm CEST which is 11am PST for those of us in California. There is a legitimate (pay) live stream available here: Euroleague.tv Supposedly it will be replayed (at a later time) on NBAtv also, so check your schedule if you have that channel.

EDIT -- It looks like NBAtv will air the game at 11am on Monday the 21st?

Status
Not open for further replies.