Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ParniValjak summed up alot of what I was going to say. I question if he can become a number 1 scoring threat aswell. I feel like the Kings need that guy. Bagley fills three major voids on this team, rebounding, grit, and potential # 1 scoring threat.

I worry about the Kings defensively with a lineup of Fox, Bogi and Doncic.. They would probably need to find a defensive beast PF who can switch onto and guard threes easily if they did go the Doncic Route.

Just to be clear after Ayton and Bagley, I'd draft Doncic all day.
You can’t bring up defense as a weakness than ask for Bagley. I like Bagley but if our number 1 scorer is that bad of a passer we’re in trouble. How do we fill our roster with Giles/Bagley/Fox starting that spacing is horrible.

I think you will find I was more than happy to take Tatum last year. In fact I did debate with people that he will be a 20ppg player very early in his NBA career.

Tatum is a better athlete than Dončić and a more natural scorer while Dončić is more of a jack of all trades offensively but not someone who can be a 25ppg player on a play off team. Tatum can be that guy and I claimed that this time last year too.

He might have played against some of those NBA player when he played for the NT but it’s different when you face them in FIBA play as opposed to the NBA where you are up against great athletes every game, and some of the more elite perimedefenders who hone in on stopping you. Dončić is a hih IQ type player but lets be homest, even in current NBA which perimeter player with Dončić’s athletic profile is a perennial all star? There is none!
Beal, Dragic, Love, and Hayward all stars with similar athletic profile.

He finished with 3points- 5 rebounds- 4 assists in 18minutes as a 17 year old vs Westbrook/Oladipo

You can’t bring up defense as a weakness than ask for Bagley. I like Bagley but if our number 1 scorer is that bad of a passer we’re in trouble. How do we fill our roster with Giles/Bagley/Fox starting that spacing is horrible.
I meen with Bagley at the four, we can fill in the 5 and 3 with defensive minded players. We might already have the 5 in Giles.
Bagley shows flashes of good passing at times, I don't feel like it'll be that much of an issue.

Fox-Bogi-3&D- Bagley -Giles? This scenario seems pretty well rounded, I don't see an issue with spacing if Fox can knock it down consistently.

Fox-Bogi-Luka-Defensive PF( able to guard threes & fours)-Giles? <-- it might be hard to find a #1 scorer/versatile defender at the four spot in this scenario. Its probably easier to take Bagley and find a 3 & D SF.

Last edited:
I did not realize I was debating with so many with euro colored glasses. I see now why the love fest.
Your argument about level of competition is invalid. It doesn't matter who you discuss with.

That said, I don't think Doncic will be NBA superstar. However, while I think someone from this year class will probably be one, I have no idea who has the best chance. With information I have I would gladly take Doncic. He would make Kings significantly better.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
He is not staying in Real Madrid. I was told by a few teams on Thursday and again Friday - Kings telling others they are not taking Luka - that can always change, but I am hearing Porter Jr and Bamab may be more real than Luka at this stage. twitter.com/TonyCantarella…

This is from Steve Kyler's twitter account. Intrigue grows

He is not staying in Real Madrid. I was told by a few teams on Thursday and again Friday - Kings telling others they are not taking Luka - that can always change, but I am hearing Porter Jr and Bamab may be more real than Luka at this stage. twitter.com/TonyCantarella…

Lol this guarantees we’re taking Doncic who goes out of there way to tell teams who there not taking

I meen with Bagley at the four, we can fill in the 5 and 3 with defensive minded players. We might already have the 5 in Giles.
Bagley shows flashes of good passing at times, I don't feel like it'll be that much of an issue.

Fox-Bogi-3&D- Bagley -Giles? This scenario seems pretty well rounded, I don't see an issue with spacing if Fox can knock it down consistently.

Fox-Bogi-Luka-Defensive PF( able to guard threes & fours)-Giles? <-- it might be hard to find a #1 scorer/versatile defender at the four spot in this scenario.
In that lineup you hoping Fox/Bagley learn to shoot you can’t only have 2 good shooters

Bagley has a nice looking jumper, hit 39 % threes on the year. Why do you feel like hes not going to be able to shoot?

Theres times when he has even dribbled into three pointers and knocked it down easily.
I think he’ll be able to shoot but it’s not a given and he only took 60 3s.

https://asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com/2018/05/18/who-should-go-1st-deandre-ayton-vs-luka-doncic/

What if Doncic is a 6’8 elite passing Goran Dragic. Dragic isn’t the best athlete but he has a high IQ and knows how to play athleticism isn’t the end all be all

The question marks on Dončić have always been quickness and lateral movement. Dončić is good but he is not exactly a certain superstar or a franchise level player. He not a great athlete overall. His lack of quickness in the half court often does not allow him to lose his man on the screen (i.e. turn the corner) and he does get beaten easily defensively. He will stuggle defensively, especially early. Not the most agile player he gets by.

Even Real Madrid hide him on defence. By European standards, he is not a good defender so he will even stuggle more in the NBA. Now none of this means that he is a bust. I think he is just about the safest pick in the draft as his floor is high but I am not sure that his ceiling is so much higher than his floor.

He will be a very productive player in the NBA right from the start, at least offensively but at pick 2 you sure as hell hope to get more than a very good player. You want a franchise level player.
This was my concern. Last year I watched Bogdan guard the other teams top players. When watching Luca on defense he didn’t appear to be guarding much of anyone nor did he step into to help on a couple drives. If this were a normal year he might still be the top pick but the top of this draft is amazing.

Unlike last year we aren’t as much hoping our guy falls as choosing between Doncic/Ayton, Bagley, Porter, Jackson, Bamba as to the next superstar. It’s even harder because I think Vlade thinks he already has a star big in Giles so you have to consider fit somewhat. It’s an exciting opportunity. I hope we get workouts with all those guys. Vlade has to hit with this pick. No more PapaG or Jackson over OG.

This was my concern. Last year I watched Bogdan guard the other teams top players. When watching Luca on defense he didn’t appear to be guarding much of anyone nor did he step into to help on a couple drives. If this were a normal year he might still be the top pick but the top of this draft is amazing.

Unlike last year we aren’t as much hoping our guy falls as choosing between Doncic/Ayton, Bagley, Porter, Jackson, Bamba as to the next superstar. It’s even harder because I think Vlade thinks he already has a star big in Giles so you have to consider fit somewhat. It’s an exciting opportunity. I hope we get workouts with all those guys. Vlade has to hit with this pick. No more PapaG or Jackson over OG.
Giles hasn’t even played significant mins since high school. Let’s h open he isn’t banking o. That

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Steve Kyler's not exactly Woj

Giles hasn’t even played significant mins since high school. Let’s h open he isn’t banking o. That
They have watched him practice since Feb. I have heard comments Giles is the best player on the Kings right now. I don’t thinking they are guessing on anything, I think they have a good handle on what they have after 4 months of practice.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

for starters, they aren't even sure who they are taking until they get a better look at them in the pre-draft workouts so this is all just chit chatter

dude12

Hall of Famer
for starters, they aren't even sure who they are taking until they get a better look at them in the pre-draft workouts so this is all just chit chatter
Or.....they are dropping just enough smoke so that no team trades up with Phx and takes Doncic.....most likely scenario

This is where I see moving Buddy into the starting line up to be the Alpha Scorer, if we get Doncic at SF.

I would move Bogdan to be our super Sixth-man, who could play 1-3 off the bench.

With PG Fox and SF Doncic handling ball handling duties, that opens SG Buddy up to be our gunner and Alpha scorer! ;)
Good logic, but we still get beat at the 4 and 5 every night.

Classic smoke screen.

The Kings don't want Phoenix to take him #1 or for someone to trade up to #1 to take Doncic, so they make points to tell "sources" that he is not worthy of the #2 pick, so why should Phoenix take him #1?

It would be more believable if the rumor were the Kings were interested in Bagley or Jackson at #2.

I think this is proof that the Kings want Doncic bad.

Classic smoke screen.

The Kings don't want Phoenix to take him #1 or for someone to trade up to #1 to take Doncic, so they make points to tell "sources" that he is not worthy of the #2 pick, so why should Phoenix take him #1?

It would be more believable if the rumor were the Kings were interested in Bagley or Jackson at #2.

I think this is proof that the Kings want Doncic bad.
You can bet your bottom dollar if (when) phoenix takes Ayton Vlade will pick Doncic.

dude12

Hall of Famer
And who said he was the best on the team?
The list is long....from Doug Christie, who doesn't blow smoke, to the players on the team. There is no link as its been said in comments throughout the year. Of course, Giles has to show it in real games, but at this point, Sac believes they have a gem on their hands.

The list is long....from Doug Christie, who doesn't blow smoke, to the players on the team. There is no link as its been said in comments throughout the year. Of course, Giles has to show it in real games, but at this point, Sac believes they have a gem on their hands.
Doug is positive about everyone though.

If Phoenix takes Doncic and Ayton is there, it would be dumb to pass on Ayton because of Giles. They can't co-exist in today's NBA, and he's still a giant gamble.

Christie likes almost everybody. He is a positive guy. And what else would players say? I think u are a bit ahead of yourself making him our centerpiece

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Doug is positive about everyone though.

If Phoenix takes Doncic and Ayton is there, it would be dumb to pass on Ayton because of Giles. They can't co-exist in today's NBA, and he's still a giant gamble.
They are ALL giant gambles. You choose BPA as you see it and see how it works out.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Yea I understand, but I'm not passing up on Ayton just because we have Gilss. The Giles hype among Kings fans is too crazy. Luckily we have the #2 pick so now we can finally stop hearing the FO fed media hype.
You misunderstood me. If Ayton is available at #2 and is on top of the board as the BPA, you take him, Giles or not. I'm just saying that all of them - Luka, Ayton, Giles, etc., all big gambles until they show it on the game floor. But at least Giles has been practicing with the team so they have an idea on his attitude, work ethic, and skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.